Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postpartum Contractions

Originally posted by Nighean Ruadh 03-01-2016, 07:11 PM

I had a prenatal today (about three weeks to due date), and my midwife warned me about afterbirth contractions and suggested getting a "binder" to help cut down on the pain of those. Any thoughts on this? Is there anything else I could do to lessen or even prevent a lot of discomfort from this?
    ~ Karen ~

BlessedMama
    03-01-2016, 07:35 PM

Hmm...that's interesting! I had not heard of using that for the afterbirth contraction pain. You might ask Michelle Barbuto--she's not on here as much but I could summon her! Or you can catch her in the group on Facebook.
    ~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

Nighean Ruadh
    03-01-2016, 07:57 PM

I'm not on Facebook anymore, so I can ask her only if she drops in here sometime.
    ~ Karen ~

BlessedMama
    03-01-2016, 07:59 PM

I'll summon her, then!
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

Nighean Ruadh
    03-01-2016, 09:59 PM

Thanks.

My midwife says that the contractions get worse after each baby, because the uterus gets stretched out. I was curious if being a T-Tapper has any effect.
    ~ Karen ~

BlessedMama
    03-01-2016, 10:24 PM

I never had the privilege of T-Tapping through a pregnancy, and while they definitely did get worse, considering I had 10 term babies, I wouldn't say it kept getting worse with each one. Maybe after a certain number it just levels off?! I'd be curious, too!

Did you notice your 2nd one being worse than your first?

Maybe I'll put that out on the T-Tapp Support group to see if any of the mommies who just gave birth whether they found any difference with T-Tapp!
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Nighean Ruadh
    03-01-2016, 10:49 PM

Did it last longer with each one? She said that the general "rule" is one day per baby, so, theoretically, I can expect three days of contractions after I have this baby.

I don't remember my second one being worse than the first.
    ~ Karen ~

BlessedMama
    03-01-2016, 10:56 PM

Of course it's been 9 years since the last one but I remember the first few days being harder and actually sometimes needing to breathe through the beginning of some of the breastfeeding sessions! And yes, it may have lasted a week or so but it definitely got much lighter and not so "OWIE!" as the first few days. And I don't remember the boys, my last two, being much worse than their next older sister who was 4 years older than my first son.
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

monica213
    03-02-2016, 06:12 AM

I don't remember the last one I T-Tapped with being any worse than the 5 previous. To me the cramping was just a small price to pay for such an awesome gift. (and honestly I had forgotten all about it until now) I would not suggest a binder, I'm not crazy about those. If you have a natural childbirth you can start organs in place (to work your own natural girdle- the traverse abs) within 2 hours. (Omit the HF) Feel free to email me at michelle@t-tapp.com if you have any more questions! Congrats and best wishes.

Michelle Barbuto RN - Specializing in Physical Rehab Nursing
    (¯`*•.¸Master T-Tapp Trainer, Trainer Mentor,
    Mommy Fitness Trainer, Forum Moderator¸.•*´¯)

merrytyne
    03-02-2016, 06:39 AM

I had three boys in just over three years and am pregnant with number 4 due in late July
    I used a supportive belly band with baby no 3 and it really improved my quality of life the last few months. I was really out of shape, and not T-Tapping so it helped with back pain and keep things in alignment. This pregnancy I have been T-Tapping and my tension headaches are completely gone and I haven't had to see a chiropractor at all. Gotta LOVE T-Tapp.

I don't recall wearing the support band afterwards. My afterpains didn't seem to last any longer with babies 2 & 3, although they did get more intense while I had them. I don't recall them lasting past the first day or two. We nursed very often which I've heard "helps". *grin* I had tearing with all three of mine and that was more of a discomfort for me than the afterpains.

What made the biggest difference in recovery for me the last time around was my diet. I had cut out sugar and most gluten for several months before and my post partum bleeding was MUCH less and didn't last as long with baby no 3. I felt back to normal (minus some sleep deprivation and hormonal swings LOL) far sooner. I can't wait to see the impacts of T-Tapp with the diet changes.

Blessings Mama!!!

Herbwifemama
    03-02-2016, 08:23 AM

It is traditional to bind the belly after birth to help with getting everything back into place, and supporting the weakened muscles. I imagine even if you Ttapped through pregnancy, the muscles will be stretched and benefit from the support. I have never heard of belly binding to ease afterpains. For that, I would use a heating pad and herbal uterine toners.

Here is an article on belly binding: http://www.justamomonamission.com/20...-belly_23.html I did this after my second's birth, and while I don't think it helped me with diastasis,(I'm not sure I did it right, or long enough) it was very comfortable and I liked it while all the organs moved back to their places. I used to be a doula, back before kids, so I've spent a lot of time reading and learning.

Some oppose belly binding saying it's a crutch and you should work your muscles instead. And I say yes to both. Belly binding is a crutch, but you use a crutch when necessary, and then after a time of healing, you use your muscles again. Belly binding is only meant to be a temporary support while your body heals from birth.

BlessedMama
    03-02-2016, 08:31 AM

I do have a friend who T-Tapped through her 7th pregnancy--first time she T-Tapped during pregnancy. She always had to wear a maternity belt from about halfway on and this time she never had to wear it at all! I don't know that she did anything afterwards but I had already given her moves and techniques from T-Tapp to do to help close any diastasis (I'm working on a program that uses T-Tapp to help close "the gap" ). So I think it's going to be individual to your needs, and just like some use a splint for diastasis, it's to help support that area while it heals and strengthens vs doing it all for you long term.

Grateful for your input, Herbwifemama! My 3rd daughter just started studies to be a CPM but she hasn't gotten that far, yet!
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Jehfly
    03-02-2016, 08:38 AM

I've had three babies. I T-Tapped through the last one. I've never worn a support band afterwards. I don't even remember the after pains after my first was born...in fact, I remember feeling a bit surprised by them after my second was born. So I had them after 2nd and 3rd, but they were usually gone by the time I left the hospital.

The biggest problem I had after my third could have been avoided. I tore with all three, and had hemorrhoids right away after the first two, so I was trying to be careful. Well, I didn't get the hemorrhoids right away after my third, but the day I came home I was feeling a little over confident as I carried a tantruming 6 year old upstairs, because she was mad that her dad was holding the baby and she couldn't! Well, that brought those darn hemorrhoids out causing several weeks of pain.

Good luck to you!
    Jessi

aaronsrib
    03-17-2016, 01:45 PM

I just delivered my 8th baby in November and I had the worst post contractions ever! I did find some naturals teas and such online that I wish I would have known of before hand. I really over did it with ibuprofen trying to relieve the pain. Of course I was not a T-Tapper and have been pretty out of shape so hopefully you won't have bad contractions. But if I were you I'd have some things on hand just in case.

Comment

I'll chime in on binders.

I used one after baby #5 because I developed a terrible, dry cough. I coughed really hard and started bleeding again. And again. (I always stop bleeding by day 4.) So I bought a Squeem binder. It did help with the coughing and bleeding. It also messed up my fascia. Several months later I started reading more about fascia and any tight clothing, including bra bands, shapewear, etc can cause fascia clumps.

So, use binders with caution and for the shortest amount of time possible.
      Lisa. 44 years old.
      Homeschooling 4 great kids and nursing surprise baby #5.
      T-Tapping since 2010.
      Current favorites: Turn Back Time & Target Pop #3.
      Living in the mountains.

Comment

Working...
      X