X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June Tips

June 2008

Spring Is Bursting Out All Over!

I love spring - all the flowers are starting to show off their color, the days are getting longer, and the temperatures are warming up. The only downside to spring is that uninvited house guests can show up; not the human kind...instead, like a bad '50s movie, "There's a Fungus Among Us!"

I thought I'd share with you some of my tips for fighting fungus this month and some groundbreaking information that really opened my eyes. As you all know, we only carry products in the T-Tapp Store that I know work --because they worked for me. I want to let you in on some of the ways I use certain products we carry to keep my home and my body in good health. There are also products that some of our T-Tappers have introduced me to that I think are really great, and some products I'm trying out that I just learned about when I was Expo West in California.

If You Wear an Itsy-Bitsy, Teeny-Weeny Bikini...

Even if you don't spend a lot of time in the sun, just venturing outside exposes you to harmful UV rays. You can help your skin by wearing sunscreen and eating lots of carrots. That sounds funny, doesn't it? It's true! Your skin is one of your largest and most important organs; it's also one of quickest ways to give away your age! Our
    In the Skin sunscreen
    is an eight-hour, time-released moisturizing sunscreen that won't let you down, whether you "mist" yourself lightly when you're out on the patio for iced tea, sweating hard during a good workout, or enjoying a swim. Unlike other sunscreens that are designed to stay on this well, In the Skin penetrates your skin to deliver lots of moisture. And where's the one place you should always remember to put on your In the Skin? Your Neck! I use In the Skin on my neck every day so I don't develop that crepe-like texture that is a telltale sign of aging. Now while you're out in the sun, try this old-time trick from the modeling world: -- eat carrots. Carrots contain beta-carotene, which helps to naturally color melatonin, giving you a lovely base color to enhance your tan along with your sunscreen. You can find out more about carrots at the
    Carrot Museum
    (who knew there was a whole museum about carrots???) and you might also like this
    carrot salad recipe
    and
    carrot soup recipe
    - they look pretty yummy too!

Keeping your skin soft and supple doesn't have to be an expensive proposition. My very favorite all-over skin treatments are from
    Fruit of the Earth's
    line of Aloe products; this inexpensive line is in most drug stores across the country. Aloe is great not only for burns and sunburns, but it's also great for your skin and your digestive system. Check out this
    podcast
    from Whole Foods about the many wonders of Aloe!

Spoil Yourself!

One of my favorite ways to create a spa day for myself is to make a mask using Aloe Gel and CellFood (more about CellFood in a minute) for my face, neck, and decollete. I fill up the bath tub, and add in some prill beads, magnesium oil, and either some
    Deluvia Dead Sea Mineral Salts
    (the new Vanilla/Ylang-Ylang scent is heavenly) or some
    Skin Saver Body
    . Talk about rejuvenation! These 20 minutes of "me time" keeps my skin healthy, vibrant, and hydrated.

You may not be familiar with some of the items I mentioned, so let me tell you a bit more about them.
    CellFood
    is a product we've carried for a long time;, in fact, I think we were one of their first customers! On their
    Web site
    they say CellFood contains, "78 minerals, 34 enzymes, and 17 amino acids. CellFood utilizes a proprietary water-splitting technology that provides a powerful stream of bio-available oxygen plus 129 nutrients directly to the cells." The water-splitting technology is pretty revolutionary, and from my experience CellFood is one of the most amazing products I've ever used. Every day I find out about more ways it can help people.

Magnesium
    is important to so many processes of the body and is probably one of the most unrecognized deficiencies in human health, according to Dr. Carolyn Dean. But getting magnesium into the body can be difficult...unless you soak in it! You can also use Magnesium Prill Beads to help boost the alkalinity of the water you drink or soak in. T-Tapper Joan has the best prices on magnesium oil and prill beads - you can learn more about both products on her
    Web site

Coconut oil is another product that's good for you inside and out! You know from past newsletters that oil pulling with coconut oil has been a hot topic on the forums; but did you know you can also just rub it into your skin? You can cook with it or use it as a substitute for butter, and I especially like the Truffles from Trader Joe's (when, when will we get one here in Tampa?!) which are decadently rich with coconut oil. Even though I can't order them online yet, you might have a Trader Joe's in your neighborhood...so it's definitely worth finding out! If you're going to eat bon-bons in the tub while you're pampering yourself, Trader Joe's Truffles are the ones I recommend!

A Little Blast From the Past

I'd be remiss if I didn't bring back some of my old "hot tips." After a good spa day, you'll want to keep your skin clean. While there are lots of great cleansers on the market, my favorite is Cetaphil! And, if you're going to shave your legs (or bikini line or arm pits) one of the best things you can use is inexpensive hair conditioner. The moisturizing compounds in conditioner work on your skin, too, giving you a silky smooth finish when you're done. Also, if you're enjoying summer fruits as much as I am this year, don't forget that after you juice your fruits you can use the leftover pulp to make a wonderful facial mask or body mask (especially for your hands). The natural enzymes in fruit help to slough away old skin cells and leave your skin soft and shiny-clean.

And my last little tip is to try adding
    Shaklee's Basic H
    to your bath water or gel mask. A few drops help to make water "wetter" and enhance it's permeation into the skin. If you want to know more about this fantastic Go-Green cleaner, you can email T-Tapp Trainer Esther Choi-Williams (
    esther@t-tapp.com
    ). I use
    Basic H
    everywhere in my house to keep things clean: I use it to do dishes, but it doesn't age my hands, I use to get rid of soap scum in bathtub, and here's one of my best-kept secrets, I use it along with our
    Grapefruit Essential Oil
    to keep my CRT brush clean. Basic H is the only product I've found that can clean the bristles of a CRT brush without damaging them. I just use a couple of drops to clean my brush and, when it's dry again, I put a drop or two on my palm and brush it across the bristles. Grapefruit is naturally antibacterial and antifungal, and it will leave your brush with a clean, citrus smell. As you know,
    Grapefruit Essential Oil
    is great for your skin and helps with cellulite, so keeping your CRT brush clean with it is a win-win!

When Fungus Gets REALLY Personal

I'm always investigating health-related information. I've stumbled across something that is both intriguing and horrifying: pleomorphs. We're going to put together a special paper about it, but I wanted to bring your awareness to the topic right away. Pleomorphs is a catch-all name, but sometimes researchers also use the term stealth pathogens and L-form bacteria. What is so frightening about them is that they can adapt and change form, which has really turned the medical world on its ear. These shape-shifting pathogens can change from a virus to a bacteria to a fungus - whatever allows them to survive - and appear to be behind many of the health issues that are idiopathic (the cause is a mystery), like chronic fatigue syndrome and Lyme disease. This ability makes it very difficult to treat them or eradicate them in the body; Western medicine typically treats patients for one pathogen at a time, but these shape-shifters just change form and keep on living. So far, one common denominator appears to be that they are transmitted to the human body through contact with soil, so it's a good reminder to wear your garden gloves. You may have also heard about this strange disease called
    Morgellon's
    ; researchers believe it may be a pleomorph, too. If you know anyone who is dealing with this strange disease, then you know how difficult it can be. Generally the medical community doesn't understand it and tells people seeking help that they have delusional parasitosis. However, the CDC just funded a new study about Morgellon's so hopefully the tide will begin to change with regard to helping people and finding an effective treatment. As I said, we'll be putting together a special article for everyone, but I wanted to quickly share with you what I've found out.

Don't Forget Father's Day!

It's hard to believe it's June already and that Father's Day is right around the corner. My dad is dealing with Alzheimer's... or, better put, my brother, sister, and I are dealing with Alzheimer's; my dad is doing just fine. Keeping the brain healthy and active is important, so in honor of my dad, do a set of
    Hoe Downs
    on Father's Day and keep that right and left brain talking to each other and hold inflammation at bay!

Also, I saw this article on what to wear when you're traveling. Since so many of us fly around the country, I thought you'd enjoy the article too.
    Click here
    for wardrobe rules to watch out for as you take to the skies. And don't forget, our new Finger and Foot Fitness DVD will be out shortly; it's full of exercises you can do on a plane to keep your hands and feet from swelling!Have a healthy and happy June, great things are coming and I can't wait to share them all with you in the July newsletter!

Kicking Fungus to the Curb

This winter found me dealing with some skin issues. I'm very prone to tick bites, and I've been dealing with a skin irritation and toenail fungus! T-Tapper Kate introduced to me to a collodial silver product called
    ASAP Silver Solution
    and a salve made from tree resin called
    PAV
    . Both have really been all-star products for me. Collodial silver has been used for over a century for its ability to kill pathogens, but it's important to get a product that is potent and contains real silver. ASAP Silver Solution is one of the best formulations I've seen. In fact, I put a little on my feet every day to keep my skin healthy, especially since I wear sneakers most of the time (that moist, humid environment makes a ripe breeding ground for athlete's foot). PAV salve has also been a lifesaver with tick bites for me. For some reason, those little buggers really like me and my skin doesn't recover well from their bite. It's also been a big help with toenail fungus. I have been really impressed with ASAP and PAV, they have help me to clear up my skin condition, heal those darn tick bites, and get my toes "summer -sandal ready!"

The
    forums
    were buzzing about
    Maggie's Soap Nuts
    , so I did a little research on my own about them. Soap nuts are a great, non-toxic way to wash clothes and they naturally help to get rid of mold, mildew, and odors. But, when I spoke with the people from Maggie's at Expo West, I also learned that soap nuts can be used in the bath to help with skin conditions like psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, ringworm, and athlete's foot. You can drop about 5 of the dried berries (they aren't really nuts - they're berries from the soapberry tree) into a bath with
    Bulgarian Lavender Essential Oil
    and
    Grapefruit Essential Oil
    for a really great cleanse. And you can use Maggie's Soap Nuts multiple times. When they're done being soapy (however they aren't sudsy), you can use the shells in your garden compost; and the folks at Maggie's also told me that you can boil some Soap Nuts to make a condensed liquid, pour it into a spray bottle, and use it to disinfect countertops, sinks, and appliances. You can even use it to clean pesticides off your produce and repel pests in your garden. Now I know why everyone is so excited about Maggie's Soap Nuts!

One other product I've been investigating is called
    Mold Control
    by Concrobium. I found out about it from T-Tapper Lisa because she lives in Southern California, where mold is a huge problem if you live near the beaches. With all the wacky weather we've seen in last few years, from Hurricane Katrina to flooding in Houston, etc., we've all become much more aware of mold and how hazardous it can be to your health. Mold Control is a food-grade product that is totally nontoxic; it encapsulates the mold, choking off its air supply and making the surface under the mold slippery so it can't get another foothold. Each treatment with Mold Control lasts a year! And, I liked the sound of it being nontoxic since so many of us have kids and pets! It's also used by Canadian hockey teams to keep their gear clean, odor-free, and mold-free, so it's got to be pretty effective because those guys get really stinky and sweaty. The building industry is also really excited about Mold Control because it kills black mold. With so much exposure to mold in spring, I thought it would be a good time to share the word with you all about this product. Even better, it's easy to find at home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowe's.

Best Wishes,

Teresa
Working...
X