Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myofascial Pain - Why is My Old Fascial causes me pain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myofascial Pain - Why is My Old Fascial causes me pain?

Originally posted by ayj67 11-17-2012, 02:13 PM

This is such a great explanation: http://round-earth.com/MyofascialIntro.html

Copy and paste the content here in case you cannot link up...

Myofascial Pain

Muscles and Pain: Knee Pain, Backaches, Headaches, Even Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!
    Many common pains, from knee pain and back pain (including some forms of arthritis and other joint problems) to head and neck pain, can be traced to muscles and fascia.
    Myofascial pain is pain originating in muscle or fascia (rather than pain from disease or inflammation, such as kidney stones or a swollen appendix).
    Fascia ("FASH-uh")is the connective tissue that surrounds every structure of the body like a shrink-wrap leotard. In general it has a tensile strength of around 2,000 psi (pounds per square inch) rising to 4,000 psi in the scalp and head. It is the organic equivalent of the steel belting in radial tires. It is piezoelectric, meaning that it produces electrical charge under pressure, a property thought to be involved in its ability to refer pain over long distances.
    Muscles have been largely ignored in standard medicine, in favor of cutting through them to get to the internal organs believed to be causing a problem. But in fact, muscles are organs -- the largest organ system of the body, variously estimated at around 50-70% of body weight. And individual muscles produce remarkably individual pain patterns, commonly sending pain to other areas of the body ("referred pain") far from the actual point of origin. Over 80% of the time, the point where you hurt is not why you hurt; it is not thesource of the pain.[IMG]file:///C:/My%20Web%20Sites/T-Tapp/round-earth.com/images/Hairbrush-Color.gif[/IMG]
    One of the strangest examples of muscles that refer pain over long distances is the soleus muscle of the calf. It has no muscular or neurological connection to the upper body, yet can send pain to the sacrum in the lower back and to the face. it may be hard to believe that high heels can cause jaw pain, but it is often true. Another strange but common example is the subscapularis muscle the lies under the scapula (shoulder blade). It is strongly involved in "frozen shoulder" and may keep you from combing your hair. But its remarkable pain pattern is puffiness on the back of the hand and a bracelet-like band of pain around the wrist.
    Together, muscle and fascia can misalign bones, produce mechanical and postural distortions, compartment syndromes, adhesions, cause severe pain and eventually joint damage. Much of this is due to entrapment of nerves and blood vessels.
    Nerves and blood vessels. We tend to think of "pinched nerves" as nerves caught between two bloody jagged ends of bones. That is car-wreck emergency-room trauma and far less common than their being caught -- strangled -- between a shortened, thickened muscle and its bony surroundings or within the tight muscle itself. Entrapment is common and it disrupts nerve messages and reduces blood supply producing numbness and tingling.
    For example, the leading cause of the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome is nerve entrapment by muscles especially the scalenes of the neck (the brachial plexus, the upstream electrical supply for the arm winds through these muscles), the pectoralis minor muscle of the chest (the nerve and blood supply must slip between muscle and ribs), and the pronator teres of the elbow (where the median nerve travels through the muscle itself). Actual nerve entrapment by the carpal tunnel itself is relatively rare.
    However, muscles aren't everything. Numbness and tingling are also symptoms of stroke or nerve damage. Always have such symptoms checked by a physician.
    Trigger Points are areas of shortened, hyper-sensitive muscle fibers named for their ability to "trigger" pain elsewhere. They are observed to form at the motor end plates of nerves, the junction between nerves and the muscles they supply. Trigger Points in one part of the muscle strain and overstretch the rest of the muscle. They are rather like tangles and snarls in a 20 ft. phone cord that still needs to stretch the whole 20 feet.
    Trigger points form in muscle due to:
    • Direct trauma (such as blows, whiplash, lacerations, surgery),
    • Chilling (whether from inactivity, air conditioners, or wind whipping around a motorcycle helmet)
    • Overstraining (whether lifting weights at the gym or children at home),
    • Overstretching (which fires off the muscle's automatic protective shortening response),
    • Chronic shortening (such as holding phone with neck / shoulder, or typing with head held turned),
    • Repetitive motions (or repetitive lack of motion),
    • Metabolic problems (thyroid or adrenal problems or the head injury behind them),
    • Brain dysregulation (whether from head trauma, birth trauma, high fevers / infections, drugs, alcohol, toxins, sound and light or electromagnetic fields),
    • Dehydration (too little water, too much caffeine / alcohol), and
    • Inadequate or unbalanced nutrition (especially Ca, Mg, K, Fe, Vitamins D, C and B vitamin complex).
    Once pain has developed in one area, limping or "compensating" for the injured part can strain the muscles recruited to aid the original injured ones -- laying down new injuries and new trigger points. It just gets worse.

And what did you expect at your age, anyway? (I've heard that one since I was 24!)
    But There's Good News: since muscles are the source of so many mysterious aches and pains, many surgeries, drugs and long recovery times can be avoided by treating the muscles directly.Myofascial Trigger Point Therapy / Myotherapy goes to the source of the pain: the contracted muscles themselves. It uses pressure, specialized stretches, and/or precision massage to eliminate the Trigger Point and return the muscle to its full resting length. It is non-invasive and can return mobility to people who have been severely limited by pain.
    Although a trained therapist is the best help, you can treat many aches and pains yourself or with help from a friend. One caveat: Always check aches and pains with a physician first, to eliminate any possibility of a serious or life-threatening condition.

ayj67
    11-17-2012, 02:17 PM
    How to get some relief at home, try DIY with the trigger points massage and release here:

https://forum.t-tapp.com/forum/main-...elease-at-home

If you are any place near to Margie Weiss or Jane Babcock, go see them! They would even tell you which T-Tapp moves you have to do more often to rehab.

MommyRose
    11-23-2012, 08:22 AM
    Thanks for this Aurora. What a great write-up with wonderful information! I'm currently getting Mayan Massages where she's doing myofacial releases in the gut area and its such a relief. I can't get over how, on Wed., she opened up my breathing abilities. I'll check out your other post now on self-trigger points.
    ~* Rose *~

ayj67
    08-16-2015, 09:07 PM
    I am going to revive this thread after the Fascia and Collagen discussion at the August 2015 Retreat discussion.

According to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascia

A fascia (/ˈfæʃə/, /ˈfæʃiə/; plural fasciae /ˈfæʃɨ.i/; adjective fascial; from Latin: "band") is a band or sheet of connective tissue fibers, primarily collagen, that forms beneath the skin to attach, stabilize, enclose, and separate muscles and other internal organs.[1] Fasciae are classified according to their distinct layers as insuperficial fascia, deep (or muscle) fascia, visceral and parietal fascia, and by their functions and anatomical location. Like ligaments, aponeuroses, and tendons, fasciae are made up of fibrous connective tissue containing closely packed bundles of collagen fibers oriented in a wavy pattern parallel to the direction of pull. Fasciae are consequently flexible structures able to resist great unidirectional tension forces until the wavy pattern of fibers has been straightened out by the pulling force. These collagen fibers are produced by the fibroblasts located within the fascia.[1]
    Fasciae are similar to ligaments and tendons as they have collagen as their major component. They differ in their location and function: ligaments join one bone to another bone, tendons join muscle to bone and fasciae surround muscles or other structures.

Structure[edit]

There exists some controversy about what structures are considered "fascia", and how fascia should be classified.[2] The two most common systems are:

The one specified in the 1983 edition of Nomina Anatomica (NA 1983)
    The one specified in the 1997 edition of Terminologia Anatomica (TA 1997)

Superficial fascia (not considered fascia in this system) This is found in the subcutis in most regions of the body, blending with the reticular layer of the dermis.[3] Fascia of Scarpa
    Deep fascia Fascia of muscles This is the dense fibrous connective tissue that interpenetrates and surrounds the muscles, bones, nerves and blood vessels of the body. Transverse fascia
    Visceral fascia Visceral fascia, parietal fascia This suspends the organs within their cavities and wraps them in layers of connective tissuemembranes. Pericardium

Function[edit]

Fasciae are normally thought of as passive structures that transmit mechanical tension generated by muscular activities or external forces throughout the body.
    The function of muscle fasciae is to reduce friction of muscular force. In doing so, fasciae provide a supportive and movable wrapping for nerves and blood vessels as they pass through and between muscles.[4]
    Clinical significance[edit]

Fascia becomes important clinically when it loses stiffness, becomes too stiff or has decreased shearing ability.[5] When inflammatory fasciitis or trauma causesfibrosis and adhesions, fascial tissue fails to differentiate the adjacent structures effectively. This can happen after surgery where the fascia has been incised and healing includes a scar that traverses the surrounding structures. A fasciotomy may be used to relieve compartment syndrome as a result of high pressure within ananatomical compartment created by fascia.
    See also[edit]

This article uses anatomical terminology; for an overview, see anatomical terminology.

Thoracolumbar fascia
    Pectoral fascia
    Clavipectoral fascia

References[edit]

^ Jump up to: a b Marieb, Elaine Nicpon; Hoehn, Katja (2007). Human anatomy & physiology. Pearson Education. p. 133. ISBN 978-0-321-37294-9.
    Jump up ^ Committee on Anatomical Termi, Federative. Terminologia Anatomica: International Anatomical Terminology. Thieme Stuttgart. p. 33. ISBN 3-13-114361-4.
    Jump up ^ Skandalakis, John E.; Skandalakis, P.N.; Skandalakis, L.J.; Skandalakis, J. (2002). Surgical Anatomy and Technique, 2nd Ed. Atlanta, GA: Springer. pp. 1–2. ISBN 0-387-98752-5.
    Jump up ^ Faller, A.; Schuenke, M. (2004). The Human Body. Thieme Medical Publishers. p. 127.
    Jump up ^ PMID 24962403

ayj67
    08-16-2015, 09:23 PM
    The building material for fascia are the material for collagen, as fascia fibers are mostly collagen fiber. What lubricate and pass thru the facial are gel water. What is gel water, that is liquid with soluble fiber, like apple petin, chia seed pudding, slippery elm, comfrey root (mucilage).

Gina Bria at the Retreat said, 1 apple with 1 bottle of water hydrate us better than 2 bottle of water, as the apple and water combined and became gel water.

Lats... the important of lats up not just because it is the bigger muscles in our body, it is also the fascia switch central of a body. It can turn the on and off switch of all activation, nerve transmission, pain, and metabolism.

Teresa has always said 80% or our metabolism is with the fascia. Well, almost all soft tissue injuries and pain that MD and physical therapist cannot explain are fascia injuries.

The cut, the fall, the jammed arm from accidents were all due to thickening and slow healing of fascia. To thin out the thicken fascia, we need collagen food and stretching.

Whatever is good for collagen building is good for the fascia, that including alfalfa, vitamin C, MSM, collagen and gelatin, magnesium.

Ribs up, lats tight and activate your big toes, thumbs and pinkies are important to turn the switch on to get the fascia channels moving.

Here is the current collagen talk that we are having... https://forum.t-tapp.com/forum/main-.../1120-collagen

A good source of Vitamin C ..... https://forum.t-tapp.com/forum/main-...-at-home-cheap

For magnesium, it is either mag oil soak or mag crystal soak (call Joan at Health & Wisdom) or get ReMag at Dr. Carolyn Dean's website.

For Fascia workout... Every single T-Tapp workout is a fascia workout. The more the emphasis of ribs up lats tight and hunch or no air space with core curl and lats activate on the floor, the more fascia stretch you can do.

Until Fascia Fit on the Floor and the First Step comes out, Turn Back Time, Brain Body Floor, Core Floor will give you the best fascia stretch.

ayj67
    08-16-2015, 09:25 PM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSXpX4wyoY8&sns=fb

Good clips to watch... We watched this at the Retreat.

ayj67
    08-16-2015, 09:38 PM
    In case you have not learned how to activate the lats, here are some tips. https://forum.t-tapp.com/forum/main-...have-in-common

Stretch your thumbs and pinkes... Press your thumbs and pinkes, donut hands, bear claw with thumbs stretching out. Jazz toes, flex your heals and shin, barbie toes as half point on floor moves, scoot your back to no airspace, hunch your back while curling your core. You are good to go.
    Last edited by Forum Angel; 04-16-2016, 05:35 PM.

Comment

bit
      08-17-2015, 05:05 PM
      Could you explain "hunch your back"?

ayj67
      08-17-2015, 08:27 PM
      I know I am going to live to regret using this term, it is not using your traps in your movement, but as the stretch and release or the shrug we see often at modified oil well and Scared Crow Ski and spinal roll up at the kickouts in Menopause Management, Turn Back Time, Senior Fit and First Step.

You will understand more if you use the newer Brain Body sereis DVD and the old conventional Basic and Total. If you have not been using all the T-Tapp DVD, you will not understand.

ayj67
      12-04-2015, 06:55 PM
      https://www.anatomytrains.com/fascia/

Good about fascia

ayj67
      12-04-2015, 06:57 PM
      https://www.anatomytrains.com/fascia/tensegrity/

This is great too. It basically explain what T-Tapp does. We rebuild the muscles and soft tissue at the weak and imbalance area, so that the anatomy train is strong everywhere.

Don't forget to check out the video about sail boat and human body.

kanikadugal011
      12-23-2015, 06:17 AM
      Thanks for this Aurora. Appreciate your work.

bertakim
      02-15-2016, 09:36 PM
      Not sure if all Fibro patients suffer from their legs feeling like concrete especially when walking or standing on concrete (or even worse tile over concrete) but it almost feels like there is a nerve impingement OR muscles not getting oxygen OR something. Anyone else out there have this? Any suggestions as to what it is and what can be done? Is there any type of medical facility or doctor who can test the muscles as you walk/stand? I appreciate any help you can give me... In search of answers... Thank YOU!
      Love my Lord and the people He created!
      kimhall@katewwdb.com
      2BFitAgain

bertakim
      02-15-2016, 09:39 PM
      Not sure if all Fibro patients suffer from their legs feeling like concrete especially when walking or standing on concrete (or even worse tile over concrete) but it almost feels like there is a nerve impingement OR muscles not getting oxygen OR something. Anyone else out there have this? Any suggestions as to what it is and what can be done? Is there any type of medical facility or doctor who can test the muscles as you walk/stand? I appreciate any help you can give me... In search of answers... Thank YOU!
      Love my Lord and the people He created!
      kimhall@katewwdb.com
      2BFitAgain

ayj67
      02-16-2016, 12:28 AM
      Bertakim,

I don't think every fibro patient have the neuropathy type of things, but some diabetes patients too. With that, both diabetes and fibromyalgia can be magnesium deficiency and lymphatically congested.

I will suggest increase your magnesium intake, take Remag by Dr, Carolyn Dean. Get a copy of her Miracles of Magnesium and see if following her supplementing suggestion will help.

Workout wise, all T-Tapp workout are lymphatic, and I will suggest Menopause Management, Step Away the Inches, Brain Body Floor. When First Step comes out, get that, Stretching fascia is important, it is not just stretching and increase circulation and lymphatic release and improve fascia healing, it will also help with the pain central nerve center at our back to reset.

In addition to the above, dry skin brushing often...

Diet wise, look into the Wahl's Protocol.

Please do cut our all artificial ingredients, especially artificial sweeteners and diet soda.

Comment

Working...
      X