Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastering Leptin - The Leptin Rules Thread #2

Originally posted by Cheryl Dodd 07-13-2005, 12:50 PM

The first thread was getting kind of long so I thought it was time to start a new one. Please continue posting your thoughts, questions and observations here.

The Five Rules

Rule 1: NEVER EAT AFTER DINNER.
    Rule 2: EAT 3 MEALS A DAY, and DO NOT SNACK.
    Rule 3: DO NOT EAT LARGE MEALS.
    Rule 4: EAT SOME PROTEIN AT BREAKFAST.
    Rule 5: REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF CARBS EATEN.

To read more about the book and the author log on to www.wellnessresources.com

Don't feel pressured about the supplements, truly, following the 5 rules is all you need to do for results. (from Annette)

Cheryl Dodd
    T-Tapp Trainer, Columbus Ohio
    Karate Chopping Tapper
    cheryl@t-tapp.com

chercher1
    07-13-2005, 01:11 PM
    I wanted to share one of the biggest changes that I have noticed over the last few weeks.

I am lucky enough to have a very flexible schedule this summer and can get up whenever I want to. I am taking a class this summer but it is in the evening.

Well, prior to following the rules I was staying up to 1 or 2 in the morning and then waking up exhausted at 9 and then lay in bed until 10 or 11 am. Then I would veg on the sofa for another couple of hours trying to get the energy up to get my day started.

Well, I have been sleeping so much sounder and deeper. My body on it's own is giving me cues around 11 pm or 12 midnight that it is tired and then I wake up on my own around 9 am feeling very refreshed and ready to start the day. I haven't noticed abundance of energy but the mere fact that I am waking up refreshed and "awake" is MAJOR progress for me. I am not a MORNING person at all. I was always the one who would hit snooze as long as possible and then rush around frantic trying to get ready in time.

Some days are more challenging than others to eat the right amount of foods to last 5-6 hours but I really feel freed up from obsessing about food especially junk food - chips, chocolate etc. It used to be if I saw a bag of chips or chocolate. I would instantly want to eat it. Now, that I am fueling my body better - it doesn't appeal to me as much. I don't think about food except to go "oh, I'm hungry now. Ok, it's time to fix myself something good to eat."

I, too, try to follow GM/MM guidelines along with the 5 rules and find it very effortless.

Brenda -

I try to eat several different foods at a meal in order to fit everything in.

So for example - eggs, toast w/ butter and some fruit for breakfast

salad, protein (chicken for me), yogurt and fruit for lunch

dinner - salad, protein, rice/pasta/or bread and more veggies. That's what has been working for me. Hope that helps.

Cheryl Dodd

Pensguys
    07-13-2005, 01:28 PM
    I've noticed something strange going on with me....since I've been pretty strict with the 5 rules, I've noticed that I dream more. I usually have very sound sleep (which I still do), but I'm dreaming almost every night! I don't like it because then I feel like I've been doing something all night. I still wake up feeling refreshed (except for this morning, but I think it was my choice of dinner last night).

Pen

norabrown
    07-13-2005, 04:36 PM
    Pen,

I've been dreaming more too! Strange! [8)]

Nora

Tina71
    07-13-2005, 06:29 PM
    me too about the dreams!

Tina

Pensguys
    07-13-2005, 07:48 PM
    Glad I spoke up! I was thinking it was just me!

Pen

Honeywell
    07-13-2005, 10:31 PM
    No, It's me as well. I didn't relate it to ML WOE.

Brenda

yolanda
    07-14-2005, 12:44 AM
    Too funny, but me too! Dreaming that is and what's weird is that mime are almost like I'm watching it like a movie but i'm in it. I woke this morning very easy from the dream thinking Wow that was weird! Interesting! Yolanda

dmhammy
    07-14-2005, 12:47 AM
    I screwed up and forgot to drink only water between meals [:0]. Drank a diet pop while at the special ed. golf tourney. Didn't eat anything at the luncheon though because frankly I really wasn't hungry. I ate breakfast just before going.

That part is going to be hard for me because I drink a lot of diet pop. Trying to only have a glass with a meal. Have to keep working on this I guess. I'm trying to look at it positively, at least I can still have some

Dawn

brenner
    07-14-2005, 08:27 AM
    Cheryl - That does help. I thought maybe I have been eating too much good carbs.

I haven't noticed a whole lot of changes yet but I think my head feels more clear and not as confused lately. As for my energy maybe I don't feel as tired in the afternoons. I may yawn once or twice but not tired physically or like I just want to sit down and do nothing. I just keep moving right along. When I wake up I'm still tired. Trying to get more sleep but that is harder for me to do with waiting 3 hours after dinner. I can't say I noticed a difference in dreaming. That is interesting.

One good thing is yesterday I was making chicken pockets for dinner. My son loves these. But it is not the healthiest meal to have. You put the mixture inside two crescent rolls that have been sealed together and sealed. During the afternoon it hit me that I didn't want them. No other reason other than it didn't sound good to me. Although good it wasn't holding its ususal enticement over me. So I made a chicken breast and two veggies but did have some baked beans. I am really aiming to keep on this schedule as much as possible. Weekend may be a problem as Sat is my hubby's birthday and Sun our anniversary. I am going to aim for the 5/6 hours between meals and will try to balance the food and choices.

The part I mentioned on the other thread about blood type is on page 107. He states "The Leptin Diet is not a manipulation diet based on some weakness a person seems to be experiencing. If a person knows a certain type of food is bothersome to them, that food can be avoided. However, the diet is not based on food combining, food rotation, or avoidance of food based on blood type."

I know with my A+ type that meats are harder for me to process so that is why I wonder about this protein/carb issue. So far I have been fine on the elimination issue. I take a Fibertox at lunch and take natural physilum (misspelled) drink twice a day. I've been doing that for about 1 1/2 months prior to this WOE.

Brenda

Comment

Pensguys
      07-14-2005, 09:11 AM
      I weighed this morning and no change...it HAS only been a week, but I thought I'd see SOMETHING....I'm not stopping though.

Pen

norabrown
      07-14-2005, 09:28 AM
      [V] Yesterday was a crazy day and my eating got screwed up. I had a good breakfast early. Then life got really busy and too many hours passed so I threw together a very quick salad at 2:30. I was still running. I had a Garden Club meeting at 5:00 where we went on a boat trip looking at lovely gardens along the Fox river. When I got home at 9:30 I was exhausted and STARVING. I tried to ignore it and just drink water, but being out on the water with the fresh air, having only had a quick salad for lunch and more...well...I just couldn't ignore my hunger. So I grabbed a handful of almonds. Well that just set me off. Its amazing I didn't eat everything in the kitchen.

I can forgive myself since it's the first time I have not allowed a minimum of 3 hours before bed...and chalk it up to a learning experience. It works if I really try to stick to a schedule with my meals. And we all know that sometimes life gets in the way and that just isn't practicle.

Nora

Golfnsuch
      07-14-2005, 11:04 AM
      Well, I'm sold. I have been slowing down since I got within a size of my goal. I've tried GM and had some trouble with sweets. I started ML rules one week ago. While I only lost a half a pound, I lost two inches, the largest losses coming from my waist and abs (Combo/ST). I haven't had a one week loss like that in more than two months.

I even added GM back in the last two days and it wasn't as hard to eliminate the sweets and carbs as I remember. This may be just what I need to get me to my August interim goal before my reunion! Yeah!

Hugs all around, Elizabeth

sandooch
      07-14-2005, 01:20 PM
      Wow, Elizabeth! That is terrific news! I am only on chapter 19 of this book, but I find it so interesting. Okay, some parts are a little boring, but it's still very interesting to me. Love hearing about everyone's experiences with this WOE!

Sandy

Pensguys
      07-14-2005, 01:29 PM
      Since I didn't lose anything this week, I'm going to measure next week. I'm doing a 4 day BC Mon thru Thurs then I'll measure on Sun and see what has happened over the course of 2 weeks. I'll keep you posted!

Pen

Tracey
      07-14-2005, 02:58 PM
      I have been listening to some of their tapes. They have been informative to me. I have the weight loss, mood, and anti aging so far. I am really glad I ordered them.

Tracey

Annette66
      07-14-2005, 08:00 PM
      I'm with Sandy, I love hearing everyone's experiences!

Dreams, hmmmm I haven't noticed this. Wish I had, I like remembering my dreams......

Pen - you haven't noticed the scale moving, BUT you have noticed other health benefits right? Focus on feeling good - the scale or better yet the inches will follow for you.

Dawn, regarding pop, my boss has been following the 5 rules and she was very hesitant about giving up diet pop. She drank several a day - but she noticed within only a few days of following the rules, she didn't mind not having the pop. She was very surprised.

Brenda thanks for pointing out the reference to blood types. Your statement from the book, is exactly why I like this WOE - no gimmicks, no tricks, no off the wall food limits, no depriving of one food type. You just follow common sense guidelines and your body just corrects itself!

Elizabeth - How Exciting!! I had been stagnant with the inch loss too, until I implemented the 5 rules - then the inches started on the downward cycle. Great isn't it??? Interesting that your inches reduced from your body type problem areas.....this is also what I am experiencing.

Oh, also Elizabeth, thank YOU for pointing out the ease of GM while following the 5 rules. I didn't even make the connection until you posted it, but now that I think back over what I ate this week 2 days were completely GM with no problem! I just realized that!! I've had such a problem with this in the past. I think you are right, something about the 5 rules makes GM/MM easier to do. Hmmmm....the connection......balanced hormones perhaps?

Nora I wouldn't fret about eating when starving. IMO, I don't know what would be the lesser of the evils, starving, or eating within 3 hours b4 bed. Starving isn't good on body.

Cheryl, I find the same thing you are, for some reason, this WOE seems to naturally gravitate you towards better food choices, even when the not so good choices are RIGHT front of you. Goes to show that perhaps are demons are not our "own" doing to speak, but rather the "unconscious" demands of unbalanced hormones.

Annette

Annette66
      07-14-2005, 08:04 PM
      Did everyone have their questions answered from the previous ML thread? If not - PLEASE ask again.

We are all learning and experiencing with this thread. We are all newbies to it, but learn from eachothers questions and answers. So if your question was missed in the LONG thread version (ha ha), bring it back up!

Annette

Annette66
      07-14-2005, 08:17 PM
      AHHH!

I just read on the old thread that with T-Tapp Consistency and follwing the 5 rules, MISS JENNY reduced 10.5 inches!!

WAY TO GO JENNY!

Annette

norabrown
      07-14-2005, 08:28 PM
      Yeah Jen!!!!!!!

Nora Brown (IL)

Comment

Tina71
        07-14-2005, 09:00 PM
        WOO HOO Jenny!

Tina

HF
        07-15-2005, 12:30 AM
        WTG, Jenny (not that you seemed to have many inches to lose to begin with!)!

On questions not clearly answered, I'm still wondering about the PG spray - I've been avoiding it since reading about leptin, and I always try to exercise on an empty stomach. So do I spray or not spray?

Thanks.

Helena

dmhammy
        07-15-2005, 12:39 AM
        Wow Jen that's impressive.

Today I only drank my diet pop with my 2 meals. Since I got up so late I'm only eating twice today. Even though I would like to have a glass of pop I don't have an overwelming craving for one. I can honestly say that for the first time in many many years my appetite seems to be under control and I no longer have a overwelming desire to eat, especially something sweet.

I also feel more energetic

Dawn

banemach
        07-15-2005, 11:32 AM
        Just to add, I have been a slow, as in completely stuck, loser for months and months, very little inch loss and no weight loss at all - I was feeling completely stone walled - but I followed the 5 rules from June 19 to the end of the 90 day challenge on July 11th, I'm going to keep on doing it - I lost 3 pounds, one came back, but this morning it's gone again so I'm going to darn well count it as gone - but more importantly most of my inch loss came during those three and half weeks - almost 4 inchs in fact - so I am now a major fan!!!!
        DW

abzoeh
        07-15-2005, 11:47 AM
        Helena- Pretty sure Annette says she sprays her PG before exercise and hasn't noticed a problem. If it gives you the energy to do the WO then go for it, I'd say.

In the book, he even recommends taking some anti-oxidants before WO, I think he says especially Co-Q10.

Just keep Tapping...just keep Tapping...

Ally

ladyjenevive
        07-15-2005, 12:11 PM
        gee, thanks, guys!!! i'm elated, since i had not budged since at least february of this year. thank you, annette for turning me on to this and all your help!!! you're my super-trainer hero!!!

quote not that you seemed to have many inches to lose to begin with!)!
        lol, i guess it depends on what a lot is... my first goal is to lose 2 sizes, but i could probably lose more for my frame, for sure...but babysteps, you know... in all, i think i do have a lot of inches to lose![} ]

this week is a challange, my dad had a heart attack and we're in and out of the hospital and have a weird schedule... i'm pretty much trying to do 2 meals because of the craziness, but, like last night, it's been crazy - we ate dinner after we finished visiting, and it was about 9:30, so..... ugh. plus, the book is right, stress does make you stop losing. i'm holding at 170, though, that's good.... now i'm going to go do tempo to try to work out some of this stress!

brenner
        07-15-2005, 03:53 PM
        Jen - sorry to hear about your Dad. Just do the best you can during this time. Sounds like this is working so well for you. I'll keep your Dad in my prayers as well as your family.

I'm ready to see some loss. I've had trouble since SH due to the thyroid and horomone issues. Hurt my foot during a bc in June for the contest so I've finally called a dr just this week to check it out. I've decided to just use the MORE inst tape and individual moves until the appt. I can't do well with the stand up things for too long. So when this body moves again to a smaller size and weight I'll be rejoicing.

I think I also saw something about taking a supplement before bed to rest better. I may have been flipping through the book so I can't state that as a definite. I've decided to take my supplements with meals but there are a couple I take about one hour after dinner.

Brenda

BetsyPage
        07-15-2005, 05:07 PM
        I just wanted to jump in and say that I am following the Five Rules as well... as I said on another message board, I do whatever Jen does (learned about rhassoul, t-tapp & the 5 rules from her, lol!)

I have been able to follow the 5 rules fairly well, except it is quite difficult to get 5 hours consistently between breakfast & lunch. But I am amazed that I'm not hungry at night before bed and my cravings are so much better!

I'm a bit frustrated right now b/c I seem to be "stuck"... I lost about 7 inches with my first bootcamp... since then I've only lost another .5 off my hips... with my BC I also gained 5 lbs, and haven't lost it. However, I missed a week of T-Tapp a couple of weeks ago b/c I had friends/family visiting... since then I've been EOD though... But I know that by sticking with the 5 rules & tapping LONG TERM I can't stay stuck forever, right?

Also, I think my meals may be a little large... I'm not eating slowly enough and stopping before I'm full, so I guess I need to start doing that. [:I]

Thanks for all the great info & support, ladies!

rachelodie
        07-15-2005, 06:15 PM
        I've been following the thread with much interest. I must admit I was VERY hesitant at first. My mom told me about this, and I thought "great, here we go again, a different diet" but this is very interesting. I have been appling the 5 rules for 3 days now. I am more tired but I think that is due to not being able to drink soda throughout the day, giving me a constant stream of caffiene. I do physically feel better though.
        I am amazed at the realization of how much I was eating through the day. I've been complaining of being 'stuck' with inch lose but this has opened my eyes at how I just grazed ALL day long!! The first day, I was ready to eat, just knowing it had been at least 4 hours, no way, it had only been 2!!!
        I am doing fine with the breakfast to lunch time duration, just need to get up and eat earlier. Did my BWO this morning before eating to work w/ my body and the fat burning. I am interested in seeing how this turns out.
        Congrads everyone on your success and input, keep 'em coming.

Rachel

Pensguys
        07-15-2005, 07:10 PM
        I read something interesting last night about dairy

"...many more people have switched to skim milk because they think the saturated fat in milk will clog their arteries and cause heart disease. Guess what? A brand new study finds that milk fat intake is inversely correlated with heart disease andthe risk for a first heart attack. Insulin levels and leptin levels were lower in relationship to the percentage of milk fat in the diet."

Hmmm...maybe I should drink 2% all the time now? I've been drinking skim for so long!

Pen

Comment

rainbow
          07-15-2005, 10:29 PM
          Hello,

First of all, this topic is hugely interesting! I haven't been here in a long while, but I started doing some t-tapping again, thought I'd check out the forums and here I am!

I would like to start trying this 5 rules theory. Today, I attempted, but found myself STARVED waiting for lunch, and ended up eating sugary stuff. Did any of you notice this at the beginning?

One more question. One of the rules is to not eat big meals I think. If you are only eating 3 times a day to begin with, how will you not be undernourished if you don't have bigger meals? Or does he mean overeating...

Anyhow, looking forward to checking this out with everyone!

Thanks a million

Pensguys
          07-16-2005, 08:00 AM
          Hey Rainbow! Welcome!

I think once you get into this you'll be really happy. I've found that If I eat enough protein and HIGH quality carbs and veggies/fruit, that I'm good until the next meal. It did take me about a week to get used to the 5 hr "waiting period" between meals. The author does say though that if you can't go 5-6 hrs, to start with 4 hours inbetween. AND I do remember him saying that willpower will come into play the first few days and then you won't need to rely just on willpower after that...you won't have the cravings if you eat right.

I have found it better for me to just stay away from sweets because it only cranks up that craving and it is HARD for me to shut it down. Some here can have it, but for me, it is better to stay away. I've really become very aware of what foods work for me and what don't.

If you read on the God-Made/Man-Made way of eat, you'll see that GM foods do work really well with this WOE.

Yes, overeating is not good with this...I'm still working on that. Sometimes I don't feel the "full" que in time. That is why it is important to eat slowly. And again, if I eat enough protein and veggies then I can easily wait 5 hours. He says in the book to eat protein at breakfast (and I've found I need a certain amount) (I also eat other stuff with it) and then have one of your other 2 meals to be heavy on the protein side.

Hope this helps you...don't give up.

Pen

Jimella
          07-16-2005, 09:53 AM
          One thing I've noticed is that if I eat something sweet with my dinner I feel [|)] in the morning, no energy, have to make myself get out of bed. And last night I had Texas sheet cake with Breyer's vanilla ice cream, it was just too good. However, I like to feel more energetic in the morning since that when I like to work out so I'm going to try to stay away from eating sweets as much as possible!

Dawn ~ Are you from up North? When I lived in Northern MN. we always called pop, pop. When I first moved to Illinois, some of the younger kids that I worked with didn't know what I meant when I said lets get some pop! LOL, they all called it soda. I'm glad you are cutting back on your pop, I think you will feel better, and I'm glad the cravings have gone away for you.

Jen ~ During a time like this just do the best that you can. I'm praying for your dad and your family. (((hugs)))

Jimella

ladyjenevive
          07-16-2005, 11:37 AM
          thanks for the prayers and hugs, everyone... [:X]

elizabeth, So glad to see you in here! sorry you feel stuck... keep pushing, though, you'll see more movement, i know it. i'm getting better at not eating way too much at my meals... it gets easier. one thing you may want to check is if maybe you're eating a bit too many refined carbs for you body? everyone processes them differently, so maybe try reducing them a bit and see if that helps?

ditto the sweet stuff with dinner = less energy in the morning.

brenner, i think the suppliment you're thinking of is calcium/magnesium. which reminds me to order more... i got the cal/mag plus, and that worked well.

rainbow, i think in general, americans anyway tend to eat really large portions... most of us won't be undernourished but cutting to 3 meals per day if we're eating quality food. some people have even said they're really not eating less food at all, just changing the timing of eating... (ie. they may just add whatever snack to their meals, instead of eating between meals.) i believe the ultimate goal according to ML is to have MORE energy with LESS food. but, i haven't noticed myself eating less food, per se.

Tina71
          07-16-2005, 12:18 PM
          We call it pop here too!

Tina

gingerb
          07-16-2005, 12:49 PM
          I'm in Nebraska, and call it soda.

Sherry
          07-16-2005, 02:43 PM
          Quick up date ... before leaving again.

Can't remember for sure when I started this. Maybe mid June? Seems like it has been 4 or 5 weeks.

First 2 weeks ... lost 2 pounds, no discernible inches ... the 2 pounds came back.

But, to date, I've lost 6 pounds and 3.5 inches. It all started happening sort of at once. I am thrilled since I've really struggled with the extra weight and inches with the ovarian cysts and the subsequent metabolism changes that come with menopause.
          By the way, I do think it is much harder to lose with menopause but it can happen with consistency.

Feeling GREAT ... lots of energy ... sleeping much, much less. I agree about the dreams! I have many more, much more vivid and entertaining.

I'm managing to work out in the morning before eating here and there which I think has helped with the recent weight/inch loss. I won't be working out much the next 10 days as we're traveling to Peru for vacation. But, there will be other activities such as a lot of walking, horse-back riding, river rafting. I'll be happy to hold the loss achieved to date and then re-focus when getting back.

Thanks to all for keeping this dialogue going and helping me (and others!) break out of stagnation.

T-Tappin' best from Houston,Texas
          Sherry, T-Tapp Trainer

brenner
          07-16-2005, 04:18 PM
          We call it pop in Ohio also. We had neighbors when I grew up that had grandkids come up from North Carolina. They called it soda. Threw us off when they came visiting.

Eating can be tricky. Today I did the MORE tape before eating. Didn't eat until 11:30am. Thought I ate enough. 2 eggs, turkey, broccoli, 2 ezekial bread, peach, nuts and milk. It is only 3 1/2 hours later and I'm hungry. Is this due to exercising before I ate? Won't eat until after church which will be at least 6 hours later. Any suggestions? I think I was full but also didn't want to over eat. I know if eating only 2 meals a day to eat more but where do I draw the line?

Scherry - glad to see your results. It gives me more encouragement. Have fun on your vacation. Sounds like fun.

Brenda

kathyk

07-16-2005, 04:34 PM
          Brenda - You just described my day exactly. I did Tempo this morning but didn't eat until 11:30. I'm now starving and I was also trying to wait until after church at 6:00 to eat! I think I'm going to get something to eat instead of waiting because I know it's not good to ignore a hunger signal. Other than today, I've been doing pretty good about waiting 5 - 6 hours between meals. I've lost a couple of pounds too!

dmhammy
          07-16-2005, 05:13 PM
          I'm in Michigan and soda is something arm and hammer makes to rid your frig of smells lol.

I've decided that I don't care if I don't lose an ounce I feel so much better. I have more energy then I know what to do with lol. I'm going to eat like this forever. I think its more than just what I'm eating when, I think not drinking much pop has made the biggest differnce. I'm never going to drink anything but water between meals for now on.

I have cleaned my entire house today and am just waiting for my grandson to take a nap so I can work out. I didn't sleep well last night because he's hard to sleep with but I still feel raring to go. I normally feel stuggish on Saturday after having him overnight and take a nap when he does but I'm not the least bit tired.

I eventualy plan on eliminating pop from my diet entirely but I'll just stick to meals for now. I don't want to get to overzealous and this not sticking because I don't want to go back to the way I was feeling before.

I haven't had a hard time waiting to eat for 5 hours but I think its because I am making better food choices because I know its going to be a long time before I can eat again. I'm definately eating more fruits, veggies and whole graind then I was before.

Hope you have a grand time on your vacation Sherry. Sounds like fun. Gonna see if I can convince Terry to take a nap before I take him home,
          dawn

Comment

Working...
          X