Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying Hydrated

Originally posted by monica213 02-17-2010, 10:24 AM

Listening to "The Doctors" here is what I heard on the importance of staying hydrated - stress hormones are released when you are dehydrated... <stress hormones cause us to put on fat> our brains functions at 10% less when we are dehydrated and we burn 50 cal with 2 cups cool water because the body has to *heat up* to warm this water.

spearmint, lemon, oranges, peppermint leaves, grapefruit, cucumbers added to water add to the taste to help you drink it.

Just *water* for thought

Michelle Barbuto RN - Specializing in Physical Rehab Nursing
    (¯`*•.¸Master T-Tapp Trainer, Trainer Mentor,
    Mommy Fitness Trainer, Forum Moderator
    ¸.•*´¯)

Mrs.Sweaty
    02-17-2010, 10:59 AM

Cucumber is wonderful in water. There is a wine bar near my house that serves water this way

~Colleen

monica213
    02-17-2010, 11:00 AM

yeah... YOU go to a wine bar for water with cucumber... rigghhhttt....

Mommy Fitness Trainer, Forum Moderator¸.•*´¯)

Mrs.Sweaty
    02-17-2010, 11:28 AM

hehehe, well I go for the wine, but I do also drink the water They have the most heavenly cheese & flat bread apps. ever!

~Colleen

BlessedMama
    02-17-2010, 11:37 AM

LOL you guys!

Thanks for the water tips, Michelle!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

just7
    02-18-2010, 07:56 AM

My question is---if you are dehyrdated, how do you rehydrate yourself? I believe that I am dehydrated most of the time. On the days when I DO drink enough water---8-10 a day, I STILL feel thirsty during the night and wake up thirsty. So I'm thinking I'm not hydrated ENOUGH!

Jennifer Wife for 30 wonderful years Mom to 7--5 still at home--ages 23 to 14 (5 girls and 2 boys) Mamee to 4 T-Tapping since 2009

JoanS MH
    02-18-2010, 08:36 AM

The TYPE of water makes a difference. Chlorine and Fluoride should NOT be consumed but there is more info here. http://www.health-and-wisdom.com/ima...ed%20water.pdf Page 4 shows the different types of water. Of course this report from Dr. Christopher does not include Prill water!!

Joan Schrader NAP
    Nemenhah Medicine Woman
    Naturopathic Doctor
    Master Herbalist, Reflexologist, Aromatherapist
    Health And Wisdom Inc.

JoanS MH
    02-18-2010, 08:37 AM

Prill water changes the molecular structure of water so it is physically thinner and will better hydrate the cells which, in turn, provides for better detoxification as well!! Our cells are designed to be spherical with an even gap between cells. As life happens the cells can become misshapen (oblong for example) and the gap between the cells can become too narrow or too wide. Any of these circumstances will interfere with the electrical impulses required for optimal health and subject the body to dis-ease.

Joan Schrader NAP
    Nemenhah Medicine Woman
    Naturopathic Doctor
    Health And Wisdom Inc.

JoanS MH
    02-18-2010, 08:38 AM

Michelle - thanks for reminding us just how important GOOD water is!

Joan Schrader NAP
    Nemenhah Medicine Woman
    Naturopathic Doctor
    Health And Wisdom Inc.

VioletSky
    02-18-2010, 08:55 AM

Hi Jennifer,

You said:
    "My question is---if you are dehyrdated, how do you rehydrate yourself? I believe that I am dehydrated most of the time. On the days when I DO drink enough water---8-10 a day, I STILL feel thirsty during the night and wake up thirsty. So I'm thinking I'm not hydrated ENOUGH!"

Have you had your blood sugar levels checked? I know very little about this. I've just heard the warning repeated over the years that excessive thirst can be a sign of blood sugar issues. Don't want to alarm you--just want to be sure that you are aware of this and have ruled it out. BTW there is a Dr. Christopher Pancreas Formula that helps with such situations. Joan as Master Herbalist may know more about it.

Hugs,
    Vi

MargieK
    02-18-2010, 09:27 AM

The 8-10 glasses a day is not a hard-and-fast rule, just a "ballpark figure." Some people may need more, and certainly if you work out or live in a warm and/or dry climate you'll perspire more (if it's dry enough, you won't even feel the sweat!) and need to replace that.

While it's possible to get sick from drinking too much water, you really have to work at it!

I've also heard that if you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated, so drink up!

monica213
    02-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Excellent replies and thanks to the marvelous Joan for her input! (Just love ya!!)

I love the wealth of information on this board... beats Google any day!

Mommy Fitness Trainer, Forum Moderator¸.•*´¯)

JoanS MH
    02-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Thanks Michelle! ? I am still unable to ramble.... and have to do multiple postings. Ugh!

Joan Schrader NAP
    Nemenhah Medicine Woman
    Naturopathic Doctor
    Health And Wisdom Inc.

rskontos
    02-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by just7 View Post
    My question is---if you are dehyrdated, how do you rehydrate yourself? I believe that I am dehydrated most of the time. On the days when I DO drink enough water---8-10 a day, I STILL feel thirsty during the night and wake up thirsty. So I'm thinking I'm not hydrated ENOUGH!
    Listen to Joan and buy her prills and treat filtered water. Since I have been drinking prill water I am not as thirsty. And I crave my prill water. I like it plain, sometimes I add lemon but mostly I drink it straight. I don't cool the water I have gotten used to it room temp.

go to Joan's site and read about prill water. If you have thyroid issues, one of the symptoms is thirst that doesn't go away. Prills in the water lowers the viscosity of the water and allows it to past quicker into your system alleviating your thirst quicker. I only drink it unless I am traveling and I take some but run out.

Rhonda

ok I did not see Joan's explanation but at least I got the explanation right

Comment

Mrs.Sweaty
      02-18-2010, 01:06 PM

So Joan you would recomend pril water over a brita water filter system. We have a brita system at home that we use & at work we have a water cooler that dispenses distilled water. I don't like the taste of the distilled water so I have organic lemon juice that I add to the water for taste.

Thanks!

~Colleen

just7
      02-18-2010, 01:50 PM

I have had my blood sugars tested. They were just over the upper limit which my doctor wasn't too concerned about, but my naturopath is helping me to get my food intake to be of a slower glycemic index. T-Tapp alone HAS brought the numbers down. But she felt it would be good to address my eating. (Hmmm where have we heard THAT before?)

What is prill water? Is it something you add to your water?

Jennifer Wife for 30 wonderful years Mom to 7--5 still at home--ages 23 to 14 (5 girls and 2 boys) Mamee to 4 T-Tapping since 2009

Jen82
      02-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Joan, what is the difference in using the Magnesium prills to using something like a liquid cal/mag supplement or something like Natural Calm in your water?

I have had a time in my life where I drank, and drank, and drank water to no end of thirst. Turned out I simply needed electrolytes so lemon juice, magnesium etc. took my thirst away.

I also have found the whole drinking water high in chlorine to make me very, very thirsty. The more I drank the worse it got. I was at someone's house who didn't have filtered or bottled water and that is all I could have so I always left there thirsty and I eventually figured out, it was the water!

Wife to Jason 9 years, mommy to Larissa 4. , Gavin 2 and a half, and Neveah Ann 2 year old angel in heaven. April 24, 05 - July 13, 07

Lori French
      02-18-2010, 03:24 PM

I keep a 1 1/2 gallon jug with Prill beads and a spigot on it overhanging the back of the sink and easily

refill as needed. Love hydration!!!

I *so* miss the taste , texture, and the ability to quench, of Prill water, when away from home.

It usually takes me a couple of days to figure out *why* I am so bloomin' thirsty........

Use and refill as needed. I prefer room temp myself even if I miss the calorie burn.....

Oh and to prove how fabulous it is...... I have had an orchid plant for many, many years,

always bloomed around Mother's Day/birthday, for a few weeks, always. Since watering

with Prill water it is in bloom more often than not. For 2/3 years the bloom time has gotten

longer and longer, until now, when it is in almost constant bloom. Weird.... but it works.

My fig tree, that has not been repotted in more than 20 years, no longer gets wilty between

waterings. We can travel and he can go a month at a time without dropping leaves,

of which he has a ton!

Lori

rskontos
      02-18-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Mrs.Sweaty View Post
      So Joan you would recomend pril water over a brita water filter system. We have a brita system at home that we use & at work we have a water cooler that dispenses distilled water. I don't like the taste of the distilled water so I have organic lemon juice that I add to the water for taste.

Thanks!
      I am not Joan but no use the system to filter your water, and fill up a glass container, I got one off ebay that is for sun tea. In fact I think I am going to buy another one and another prill bag along with mag gel. So you would prill the filtered water.

It will lower the composition or viscosity of the water, thinning it if you like, so that it passes quicker into your cells.

Rhonda

Lori French
      02-18-2010, 04:06 PM

Rhonda, is there something I'm missing out on with Prill *and* MGel???

Lori

rskontos
      02-18-2010, 04:09 PM

OH now, I just meant I love them both, mag gel is my new pain reliever especially with my hurt knee. Although watch out if you just shaved your legs. Nope, I did though order some magnesium snow and bath crystals. I love taking baths with the mag oil and the crystals. I thought I would try the snow and i am out of crystals and almost out of gel.

I was thinking about trying the prill for the bath and laundry. Have you tried those.

Rhonda

Lori French
      02-18-2010, 04:22 PM

Yes, I use them for the bath and laundry. The laundry one just sits in the bottom of the washer,

never to be removed and the bath one hangs over the spigot to be dropped in as needed.

Even DH, a bigger bath lover than me, drops the purple bag in and sprinkles the salts and MO

in every time, LOL! Can't *feel* that they work but as with the drinking water, than I *know* must!

Lori

T'appy Tapper
      01-09-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by just7 View Post
      My doctor tell me that I need to drink half my body weight in ounces. That means I need to drink 10 glasses of water a day. But if I really listen to my body, I find that I do better with 12. So maybe your body needs just a little more???

Emily

adrianne
      01-09-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by T'appy Tapper View Post
      My doctor tell me that I need to drink half my body weight in ounces. That means I need to drink 10 glasses of water a day. But if I really listen to my body, I find that I do better with 12. So maybe your body needs just a little more???
      It's good that you are listening to your body! Also, don't know if this applies to you but caffeine and alcohol deplete your body of water. So, if you drink any caffeinated or alcoholic beverages your body will need more than the recommended amount of water to make up for the loss.

I've been learning a lot of good things about water. I am reading Dr. Batmanghelidj's book "You're Not Sick, You're Thirsty" and I'm finding it very interesting!

BlessedMama
      01-09-2011, 05:49 PM

I think working out, too, you're going to drink more! And probably like so many other things--it's variable! One day you may only need 10 but another--as you found--12!

Years ago a lady who had battled cancer naturally (and didn't need morphine until the week she died!), told us that just by drinking water when you feel a cold or something coming on will sometimes kick it! She said the dehydrated body is more at risk of infection. AND that by the time you're thirsty, you're usually already dehydrated! So there's something to be said for making sure you're drinking throughout the day!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
      ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
      ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
      -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
      Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

Comment

Working...
      X