X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peggyjo
    started a topic HHMM / traps

HHMM / traps

I keep skipping the section with the towel that Theresa presents as sort of an add-on near the end of the regular (not instructional) HHMM workout because I feel my traps getting really tight during that section. Is there something I can do to either align myself better for this, or is there some other move I should work on to get stronger somewhere so this doesn't happen? Thanks much for any insight!

• BlessedMama
    replied
    Glad you both found the tips helpful!

Leave a comment:

• peggyjo
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, Trisch. I'll give these attention next time I fire up HHMM. I'm fine with the towel stuff right after the spinal stretch. (Although like piper1, I'm also trying to strangle the towel!) It's the towel moves nearer to the end of the workout that seem to get my traps crazed. These tips should help a lot!

• piper1
    replied
    Thank you, Trisch. I will give these tips a try.

I just tried TTT, using the tips, and what a difference! I had not noticed that Theresa's thumbs were up and extended. Also, I have been gripping and pulling with all my strength! It is no wonder I was having a hard time trying to keep my wrists from turning inward.

Thank you again, Trisch!

Last edited by piper1; 01-07-2019, 10:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BlessedMama
    replied
    Another thought is to do the towel part that is after Spinal Stretch while seated, so you can focus more on lat activation than keeping lower body in alignment, since the chair will stabilize you.

Leave a comment:

• BlessedMama
    replied
    Are you talking about using the towel with Oil Wells and T-Tapp Twist? Or as part of the Spinal Stretch? Or all three?

Using the towel is to help you use your lats more, so let's dig into some form tips to help with alignment so you hopefully can feel more lat activation!

First, try to keep wrists in alignment with elbows/shoulders. She does have her hands a bit closer in the Spinal Stretch towel portion, but keep them out a bit more.

Next, thumbs are away and stretching. Don't grip the towel as if you are killing it (yeah, I've done that too!). LIGHTLY pull the towel apart to keep the activation. You should feel your core kick in a bit here, too.

Now think about your elbows--often we have them tightly against our body. They're out just a bit, but not too far. Play with that until you feel it more in lats than traps. Or at least equally in both.

It is hard to keep all that going and actually move! Especially if the brain-to-lat connection is weak. So you may need to shake out and reset a lot at first. For the Spinal Stretch portion, shake out and reset between sides on the tilts. For T-Tapp Twist, shake out and reset between sides. For Oil Wells, do half the reps. You may need to stop and refocus core and lats from time to time, even while doing the move and that's okay.

Try doing half the reps with the "shake outs" (vs kickouts) with the tips above and let me know if that helps!

Leave a comment:

• piper1
    replied
    I also find that maintaining proper form in HHMM towel moves very challenging. Any tips would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X