Hip Stretch in BBFF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip Stretch in BBFF

I love the Sequence #1 in BBFF and it is helping me so much. It is even helping me recover faster from a sprained ankle. But today, my question has to do with the hip stretch where you put one ankle on the opposite knee, pushing shoulders/elbows and lower back into the floor and PUSH THE KNEE AWAY. Then you do it with the flexed foot, and again with the pointed toe. Holding that position, you then do diagonal sit-ups. The sit-ups are nothing compared to trying to push the knee away, especially on my right side. (Of course, this is even harder with the weak sprained ankle, but it has always given me trouble.) How can I loosen up this hip? Is this the psoas muscle? I can tell that one hip wants to pull "in" closer to the center of my body than the other hip does. I'm sure my whole body is thrown off, but it seems that if I could just loosen this hip, it would help. I think that BBFF is helping, but only incrementally. Any ideas? Additional exercises you can recommend? Thank you!

Possibly psoas and/or tight hip flexors. Really focus on using core to flatten back to the floor. As you press the knee away, just go to your best ability. When you do the actual move, instead of coming on up, just bring the elbow up and over without bringing both shoulders off of the floor. You'll still hit the obliques but not use momentum and lose the activation that will help with the stretch.

The "torso stretch" of knees over to the side, then pressing the foot to stretch from hip to knee in the opening stretches in sequence 2 are good for this area, too. So is this move on T-Tapp Tuesday:

https://www.wtsp.com/article/enterta...jBNTb54VP3XmN0

The Crab Claws stretch and move are good for it, but go slowly.
    ~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Master T-Tapp Trainer in Indiana, certified in all workouts!

From a 22W to an 8!

Comment

Okay, Trisch, about the torso stretch. I seems that you are describing moving your knees to the side and THEN pressing the foot into the floor. If I don't start this move by first pressing my foot into the floor, my hip slips out. I mean, it feels as though the joint is slipping out of position. It happens on both sides. (This is probably one of those things that happens when you didn't crawl as a baby.) So, I always push my foot into the floor first. Is there a problem with this? I hope I am still getting good out of that move. Actually, I used to hate that move until I kept hearing Teresa say "pressing foot", so I'm very conscious of it now. I hope this isn't slowing down the stretching of that hip. I will try that modification of the diagonal sit-ups tonight. Thanks!

By the way, this workout is doing great things for my ability to flatten my back to the floor. All the old moves like Half-frogs, etc. just keep getting better. I am so encouraged!

Comment

So glad to hear of the improvements!

If you are pressing your foot in to help stabilize as you lower the knees to the side, that is not a problem. You will obviously press a bit more intensely then to get the stretch. Does that make sense? Also make sure you're pulling the core in even though you're letting those knees go over. You don't get to release the core! That will also help stabilize the hips. obviously your back will not be flattened to the floor, but it's, to release the tummy and then reactivate. It will obviously be a bit less activated since you're not pressing lower back into the floor, but it doesn't get to relax, either! ;-)

Keep me posted on how you're doing!
        ~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
        ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
        ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
        -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Master T-Tapp Trainer in Indiana, certified in all workouts!

From a 22W to an 8!

Comment

Hi, Trisch, I'm back! Yeah, I'm definitely keeping the core activated; my back hurts if I don't! When you say "press a bit more intensely then to get the stretch", I think the way I would describe it is I'm lengthening the muscle in the front of the thigh (quadricep?) by pushing my hips a bit forward as I push the foot into the floor and let the knees go to the side.

That little movement of the hips forward really puts a good stretch on the front of the leg, especially the top leg. Is that what you mean? Another thing I am learning, and you may correct me if you need to, is that when Teresa says, "relax", I sort of roll over the side of my high-hip area now, instead of just lifting the legs straight back up to the knees-up position. (You still have to use your tummy, don't worry.) It's almost like "ironing out" that area (muscle? fascia?) That is a part of my lower side-back that is always sore, and I think it relaxes it. It's a little hard to describe in words, but the extra second it takes while getting ready to switch sides makes this move better somehow. Wonder what you think of this.

Comment

Working...
          X