Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting More Muscle Activation out of your Floor Workouts

Originally posted by Dantheman 01-03-2015, 09:37 AM

Happy New Year, hope you all enjoyed your holidays.

This week’s tip is again focused on floor workouts and more specifically foot position. There are a variety of leg movements in the T-Tapp floor workouts when you are sitting with your arms to the side to support you and your hands in a cupped position. Proper foot position, keeping them in alignment with the knee being careful that your heel stays in alignment while pointing your foot to front wall stimulates a higher muscle activation not only in your legs but in the abs as well. It is easy to let your heel wonder a tiny bit in or out, if you notice that, you can feel the difference when your heel is back in alignment. When you are instructed to flex, think of pushing the heel toward the wall as you flex. This will help get more out of your floor workouts, it is easy to get caught up in the leg movements and the momentum of the workout and lose track of your foot position. You don’t want your feet to migrate to the path of least resistance (relaxed). Less resistance equates to less muscle activation!

One other quick tip since we missed the tip last week, when you are doing moves such as floor hoedowns or any moves where you are sitting and have your elbows bent and hands on the floor to support you, be sure to keep your elbows bent and your arm muscles activated to hold proper body position. Releasing the arm muscle tension will allow your elbows to relax and move outward to sidewall. You want to keep your elbows facing together. This will assist with ribs up, lats engaged. As you lose arm tension and your elbows release, your back may start to round and ribs are compressed downward, trap muscle activation and abs will be pushing out instead of being pulled in to spine.
    Proper Alignment, Isometric Contractions and Consistency!

Hope these tips are helping and thank you to those who commented on previous tips. Hope to be on the forum more often in the upcoming weeks.

Dan and Phyllis

JohannaRegina
    01-08-2015, 11:54 PM

Once again, great tips! I just started learning Critter Crunch and it seems to have improved my form during standing workouts a lot!

KayeEss
    01-09-2015, 04:39 AM

Thanks! I am planning on doing the BBF category for the challenge, so i am looking for more floor tips. I find it hard to check mh form on the floor since i can't see in the mirror. So the heel is actually a little torqued in the flexed foot position, or feels like it? Ladybug is the hardest for me to figure out the proper foot position.

Jeanamarie
    01-14-2015, 10:48 AM

Hi KayeEss! I've been a prodigal trainer lately, not logging in to the forums, but January Challenge is a great time to change habits! I cannot remember if you told me whether you have the Total and maybe the Tempo Lower Body? Think of the balance sequence in them and when switching over to the floor work in Ladybug, listen to what Teresa is cueing. We get a bit disoriented when on the floor, I know!! I'd love to hear how you're doing!!
    Jean

KayeEss
    01-15-2015, 07:23 AM

Hi, Jean! I was thinking of writing you some of my floor questions. I dont have those wo's but have done balance off the youtube clip. Still, i could use a fuller explanation of what you mean. I am just doing BBFF.

jackiesj
    01-16-2015, 02:07 PM

Great tips! Thank you. I'll have to remember this when doing Ladybug!

ngj26
    01-17-2015, 09:02 AM

Love it! Keep them coming!
    NatashainRI

Comment

Working...
    X