Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Trick To Take It Up A Notch?

Originally posted by Lani 01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
    When I want to crank up the intensity on my T-Tapp workouts, it's fun - and effective - to upload intensity tricks and points of focus.

There are many ways to do this - even a review of instructionals and form pointers will deliver lots of ideas!

And as I'm just about to do a workout, and I found myself thinking "OK, how shall I crank it up today?" it occurred to me that this would make a great topic for sharing!

One of my very favorite ways to crank it up is to really connect with the surface beneath my feet and drive every move up from there; a solid connection builds a solid workout...and a solid backyard! :-) !!!

Do you have a favorite you can share with the rest of us?

Tell us about it!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, MA, CGFI, CPBN, T-Tapp Trainer

kazy
    01-07-2009, 10:46 AM

2 actually!
    Like you I really drive my heels into the floor and grasp it with my little toes. I concentrate on proper foot position.
    The other is to keep those hips "cemented" to the front or mirror if I'm using one. I do that by concentrating on tucking hard and really concentrating on pulling the stomach in. Anything requiring twisting, I really make sure I use only waist and consciously keep my hips facing forward.

AnaLee

Lani
    01-07-2009, 11:13 AM

Excellent AnaLee, and I'm glad you spilled over into more than one!

You are so, so smart to keep the workload driven from the middle on those torque moves - the key to building some good muscle through the obliques and back! Locking in those hips seals the deal.

Lani
    01-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Well, Analee, looks like we must have about covered it for everyone!

There are lots more tips for intensity: full joint extension, freeze frame, coordination with breath to activate more abdominal, top of head to ceiling....an endless list!

My workout went great yesterday - thanks for the addtional inspiration Analee!

allisonsis
    01-08-2009, 01:06 PM

Hey Lani!

You are right. I have been really working on straightening thoes elbows and knees.

Allison Sisney

T-Tapp Trainer - Northwest Missouri

Ani
    01-08-2009, 02:56 PM

For the last six weeks or so I was concentrating on ribs and shoulders, and made some major improvements there. Then a few days ago it occurred to me that I've been slacking on my lower body. Some of what I've been thinking about to fix this is exactly what Lani and AnaLee mentioned: feet connecting with the floor, hips "cemented".

But also I've come to realize that "tuck" and "curl" are actually two different things, and that both of them together -- along with the hip turnout -- have huge ab implications. Which suddenly make the idea of "belly button to spine" seem much less handwavey and more practical.

Not sure whether what I'm saying will make any sense to anyone else, but it's helping me keep much tighter from the waist on down.

Andrea

kazy
    01-08-2009, 02:58 PM

Straightening is so tough on the arms/shoulders! LOL - When I do the arms w/o (really it should be any) I'm concentrating very much on keeping shoulders down and stretching those arms in the straightening sequences. Its tough and boy do I feel it!

AnaLee

seffie
    01-08-2009, 07:02 PM

I'm in the middle of a BWO+/SATI bc and I have really been concentrating on form and with SATI have been working on "curling" from the lower back and it has made my abs, hips and inner thighs so sore! It's great!

Steph

Dantheman
    01-09-2009, 06:32 AM

Hi Lani,
    My favorite trick to take it up a NOTCH, is to try to exhaust the primary muscle grouping by the 5th rep for each move. This requires the secondary or supporting muscle groups to activate and build. To do this I have to go to my Personal Max with each move building all the internal resistance I can to oppose the move in both directions of execution.

Dantheman

MomAtHome
    01-09-2009, 03:15 PM

Mine would be taking a couple seconds before each new move to lift shoulders and ribcage with a T-Tapp shoulder roll, then allow shoulders to drop but not ribcage, to get distance between rib and hipbone while working out. I believe this may have initially been an idea from one ofSherry's posts.

An extra notch gleaned from Kirsten's class would be pretending that that coin needs to be held by one's buttock cheeks. Does she say dime? Must be dime, 'cause she's serious about that one.

*´¨)
    ¸.• ´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•'* M. H.

Lani
    01-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Hey Team!

Have you noticed the one thing everyone's tricks has in common? I was just reading through all of the excellent posts on this thread and every one of them has to do with muscle activiation. Every lift, squeeze, press...they all create more muscle contraction, which deepens the workload.

Thanks to everyone for growing the list of ways to do just that. Keep 'em coming if you have more!

jen6
    01-16-2009, 07:59 AM

Wow! thinking about & keeping belly button to spine took it up a notch just this week for me. It helps with ribs up too

Master T-Tapp Trainer Jennifer Kent

Comment

Working...
    X