Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot Pain

Originally posted by peppy lepew 04-13-2005, 07:25 PM

I have just finished a 6 day boot camp and am experiencing major foot pain - my heels and the tops of my feet also. It hurts to walk. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Annette66
    04-13-2005, 09:31 PM
    Is this your 1st bootcamp? Are you relatively new to T-Tapp? Where is the pain on the tops of your feet, is it near the ankle, near the toes, or both? and the pain on the heels, is it on the bottom of the foot or on the sides at the heel? One more question, where are you at in your monthly cycle?

I could answer this for you in a couple different ways - post your response to the questions and I'll see what I can come up with for you.

Annette
    Senior T-Tapp Trainer, Iowa

peppy lepew
    04-13-2005, 10:01 PM
    Hi Annette - thanks for responding. Yes this was my first bootcamp but I'm not new to T-Tapp. I've been doing it off and on for over a year now. The pain on top of my feet is near closer to the toes than the ankle. As for the heel pain, it is on the bottom and on the sides. And I went through menopause last year and that is a good thing (for me anyways)!

RoseTapper
    04-13-2005, 10:06 PM
    Peppy,

What kind of shoes are you wearing? Please make sure that they are not running shoes -- they're soles are too flexible for this routine. If you don't have cross-trainers with firm, inflexible soles, you might try on some Skechers at a nearby store to note the difference. I'm just guessing that this might be your problem (I know that my feet hurt, too, when I started because I was wearing the wrong shoes). Just a thought.

Laura H. (RoseTapper)

peppy lepew
    04-13-2005, 10:12 PM
    Hi Laura - I just started using a new pair of Avia Cross Trainers and I thought they were a little tight on the top of my feet but not around the heel. Thanks for your input.

Annette66
    04-13-2005, 11:24 PM
    T-Tapp in the beginning, or when done sporatically, can cause a bit of foot pain, but this is a good thing, it's helping to realign your feet into correct alignment, which is a new movement for the feet - so a little pain in the beginning or during a sporadic bout, can happen - but again, it is a good thing.

T-Tapp is EXTREMELY lymphatic, and the top of your foot near the toes (and also on the top of foot around the ankle band) are lymphatic points - so it could be you are moving alot of lymph - which is another good thing.

The bottom of the heal, and the sides of it, are a uterine area. Even if you've gone through menopause, you still have a uterus (even if you didn't have a uterus, it could still affect this area in women), so that could be coming into play in your case. Myself, and 3 other women I know personally, can have alot of foot pain in the areas you are pointing to, during menstruation. As a matter of fact, last week I was walking with a severe limp - almost like a sprain. As soon as my period was over, I was as good as new! It doesn't happen every month, but when it does, it hurts!

Either way, though annoying, I don't think it is anything to worry about, and I don't believe you are doing anything wrong in your workout. This type of "achy" pain, in the areas you are pointing to can have alot to do with pumping out lymph "crud" and with the correct realinment of the foot structure.

Even though it doesn't feel like a good thing now, it is more than likely your body correcting itself.

Give it a few days and see how it feels. You could feel better as soon as tomorrow. If it persists - post again.

Annette
    Senior T-Tapp Trainer, Iowa

Sherry
    04-14-2005, 01:14 AM
    Peppy,

Here are a couple of other angles to consider in addition to the above thoughts. The top of the foot is a very tender area and such pain is frequently caused by too much pressure on top of the foot. Are you lacing your shoes tightly? Sometimes, we laced too tightly when the shoes are worn allowing the feet to slip. I know this may sound too simplistic but I'm really serious. This can be a major contributor to pain on top of the feet.

Also look at how you are sitting. For example, turning the feet under the body in a way that puts pressure across the top can also cause such pain.

Finally, heel pain can be an early indicator of plantar fasciitis. You may be noticing that because T-Tapp works so much on the arches of the feet. There may be other reasons as well, but this is one possibility. T-Tapp is one of the few things that will put plantar fasciitis in 'recession' but you may have some soreness on the way to healing.

T-Tappin' best from Houston,Texas
    Sherry, T-Tapp Trainer

crysk_68
    04-14-2005, 10:38 AM
    Sherry, may I ask a foot question too? (I'm sorry to hijack your thread Peppy.) [:I]
    I've been experiencing a "bruising" sort of pain on the outer top side of my left foot. Looking at a diagram of the foot, it's the fifth metatarsal joint (nearest the heel). The "bruising" I feel is more on the side and top side of this joint. If it helps to know, I am flat footed (and improving! ) and both my feet have major bunions on each side. I'm fairly certain how my foot rolls out KLT may be different then how somebody elses feet roll out.
    Fortunately, it doesn't feel as bad as it did a few days ago, but I would love to hear any words of wisdom/insight you may have.

Thanks, Crystal

peppy lepew
    04-14-2005, 03:56 PM
    Thanks everyone for your input. I am new to this board and I love how everyone tries to help each other out. Crystal - I have had that pain you are talking about before (not this time) so I would love to hear what Sherry thinks about that also.

Sherry
    04-14-2005, 10:39 PM
    Crystal and Peppy,

I'm afraid that one stumps me. I'll send this to Kat (Chicago) and Lannette (MA) to see if they have any insights. I guess the one thing that I wonder about ... once again ... is the quality or age of the shoe you are wearing.

You really need solid support for T-Tapp. That is why my favorite brand is Skechers and in particular, their Energizer cross trainer. The padding is thick and the toe box tends to be wide. Unless you have very narrow feet, the combination seems to lend more support for the balance work we do.

Editing to add a thought that is virtually the same as shoe support in my eyes but realized that others might not see it that way.

In the typical KLT stance, the weight is only slight to the outside of the foot. The arch lifts but the foot remains planted on the floor. Are you rolling more to the outside than is indicated in the videos? Just another thought. Weak shoes will allow this. It is harder to do in shoes with solid support.

T-Tappin' best from Houston,Texas
    Sherry, T-Tapp Trainer

Comment

hopeful
      04-15-2005, 03:05 AM
      Really, the weight is not all over on the outside of the foot? I've been doing it all wrong! [Guess that explains the soreness of the bones on the outside. Duh, me.] But NBT means NO weight on the inside, I thought. Where does it go?

Thanks for all your help!

-Hope

crysk_68
      04-15-2005, 11:05 AM
      Hi Sherry, thanks for the reply.

Actually, I've been working out in Sketchers 2250 (Energizer Crosstrainer) but they were old so after a few days of WO's, I bought a new pair. Much better, I must say!

I'll start paying more attention to how much I roll my feet out. I didn't think I did too much, but with bunions and wide feet, maybe less is better. [:I]

Like I said, it is improving and probably around the time I got my new pair of Sketchers. I think you were dead on with the age factor and roll out because this newer pair won't let me roll out as much as the old ones, that's for sure.

Well, I hope everyone has a good morning and a good day.

Crystal

gr8fisch
      04-15-2005, 11:37 AM
      Crystal...get you some squishy-soft to medium hard small to medium sized balls, about 3 or 4 should do it & every day or evening, stand up, assume KLT position in toto & start with one ball, rolling it under your foot, toes, heel, sides of foot, for about 3-to-5 minutes. Then, re-set your KLT position on both feet. Pay attention to how that one foot now feels, how much more of the floor you feel compared to the other foot, how your toes feel looser, etc. Then 'do' the other foot & reset after 5 minutes or so & feel how much more similar your feet now feel. Notice your back, hips, shoulders, alignment of head & neck. There's more you can do with this but I've got a test to set up for a final exam. Next installment later.

katwoman10
      04-15-2005, 01:31 PM
      Cheryl,
      It sounds like you are jamming up the lateral side of your foot by the little toe. Probably a lot of strain and muscle activity there going on . Try pulling in the littel toe to "crack" it and stretch the extensors and small intrinsic muscles by bending the two lateral toes down under your foot . It will get better with time as you get stronger. Some times this little toe dorsal side of foot problem is due to a weak hip ( lateral ) side on the same side and even a SI joint problem on that side. Try a few hip stretches especially for the glutes , medial and maximus for relief and maybe see a good chiro or Naprapath/PT for some body work and correction.

Hope this helps for now.

Kat Creedon,
      T-tapp trainer in Chicago

MommyInMotion
      03-08-2006, 12:20 AM
      This is a lot of information and the topic is very timely for me. So timely, Margit who was working on this for me/with me sent the topic to my attention.

I have been experiencing heel pain on the side of my left foot, far back, very, very painful. This came about as I tried to restart T-Tapp. I won't bore you with the medical history but I actually thought this was something else. I figured out this weekend that it must be muscular or at least soft tissue because extensive work with it finally worked out the kink and it is far less painful.

Now, my stance may be wrong (too much emphasis on keeping weight off of the big toe) or my shoe may be wrong (Sketchers but they are bike shoes - not substantial enough I don't think) or it could be both. One thing that I know I need to have rectified is that I am a classic overpronator - my shoes are being worn down heavily on the outside again. I simply MUST get myself to a chiropractor's office. I haven't had an adjustment in 7-9 mos - maybe more? Moving, etc.

So, don't know if that helps anyone but the info. that others have shared is great. THANK YOU!!! I will try to incorporate the tips and absolutely welcome any additional information that anyone is willing to share.

Thanks especially to Margit for alerting me to this thread!

MommyInMotion

nanburr
      02-07-2008, 01:34 AM
      About foot pain: I have been suffering with plantar fasciitis for several months now. Although my arches are being rehabilitated with the BWO, I just find it impossible to do lunges involving the bending of the rear foot and pressing the heel down. (I just got the 2nd DVD Total Workout.) Any ideas?

bursante

brngckn
      02-07-2008, 05:52 PM
      You are talking about the 2nd lunge, the front lunge, correct? How about completing a couple of reps and building up to the full 8 reps of this move over time?

Kirsten, the Travelin' T-Tapp Trainer from Texas

Senior Trainer, Trainer Mentor, Habit Formers Leader, MBA

nanburr
      02-08-2008, 12:35 AM
      Thanks, I'll try that - well, it'll be a challenge. Doing the balancing alone will just about do me in, and that foot is SO painful, it can't help much! (Maybe it's good, though, not to rely on the foot for balance. hmmmm...)

bursante

Sherry
      02-08-2008, 02:54 AM
      Bursante -

Please do a search on plantar faciitis or just look for the topic in Kirsten's "must read" threads. There are several great tips in that thread that may help.

Having suffered A LOT from this condition, I think Kirsten's recommendation to just do a couple of reps and work up is good. You could even skip that move for now under you re-build more strength in the arches.

Sherry
      "Retired" T-Tapp Trainer

theladebug
      01-28-2016, 01:07 PM
      I've just recently begun T-tapping again and I'm doing the BWO+ and I've been having some sharp intense foot pain in my left foot especially when doing Oil Wells, but then it persists and I often have to take a break before beginning T-tapp twist, which is a pain especially when I have time limitations.

The pain is a stabbing pain through the top of the foot about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in front of the ankle and slightly toward the outside of the foot.

I probably should mention that it's only happening in one foot and I broke this foot back in 2009-2010ish, but it was an un-diagnosed break which apparently healed on its own and I wasn't aware of it until about 6 mos later, but it's considered fully healed according to the doctor.

I've used a couple of pairs of sketchers and the Skecher Energy 2250's I had made it absolute excruciating to do this exercise (although they may be a little tight) so I switched to a different pair of skechers I own (I dont know the type) and was better for a few days and it suddenly came back this morning causing me to lose a lot of focus near the end of the workout.

My foot does not hurt when I'm not T-tapping, only during the workout, and its usually only bad during oil wells (and anything after)

I'm not sure if I should try to find either a size up or a wide width version of the Skecher Energy shoe to see if it works better (I'm a little worried because it was SO painful in those shoes) or if I should search for a different cross trainer.

Thoughts?
      Teri

BlessedMama
      01-28-2016, 04:47 PM
      You sound like me! I had done the same thing--undiagnosed break, then that healed a bit torqued. Caused plantar fasciitis in the other foot from hobbling around, then the broken-now-healed foot got plantar fasciitis! The Skechers worked for me but you may need to adjust size as you said or look for another cross trainer. Just be sure it is wide enough in the toe box and has room for your foot to move vs hugging the arches tightly.

I would kick out as much as you need to. If you don't finish the workout, that is not the end of the world. Or you could skip the last few reps of each move so you have time to kick out. This isn't really a nice extra--it's crucial to give your feet a break so you don't exacerbate the problem and make it worse. NO fun!

A new tip that is very helpful, too, is to shift the weight into the heels before pushing the knees out. This will help distribute the weight even better on your feet. This will help, also, with Oil Wells. Be sure to push knees out and keep core tight at all times. It's not how far you can go to reach through but a nice release on the back but keep core (belly to spine) tight.

Finally, I had a recurrence last May after 8 years of NO issues due to hiking 40 miles in older shoes. 3 days in a row of soaking my feet in magnesium oil and water cleared it up! Joan at health-and-wisdom.com is THE go-to for anything magnesium! 2-4 oz in enough warm water to just cover the tops of feet, soak for 20 minutes.

If you do need to split the workout up, be sure to start with Primary Back Stretch to warm up, first.

Hope those tips help!
      ~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
      ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
      ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
      -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

theladebug
      01-29-2016, 09:06 AM
      Thanks for the tips! I ordered a pair of Skechers energy men's shoes in a bit if a wider width so I'm going to give those a try and see how it goes, and I will definitely look into the magnesium oil!
      Teri

Comment

Working...
      X