X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get rid of the darn Scale!

Originally posted by monica213 02-07-2014, 03:42 PM
    Get rid of the darn scale!

It seems like everyday a client, friend or follower asks me why their scale isn't going down or (worse yet) has went up. Here are some thoughts on the dumb thing..

- yes, the scale is an indicator on how much you weigh, but it should not be the "end all be all" tool you use to measure your success. The scale can not determine how much muscle you have, or your body fat percentage, it simply spits out your number in pounds. Did you know the first 2 weeks of T-Tapping you increase spinal muscle density and can gain 5 pounds? Can the scale tell you this? no.
    - If it puts you in a bad mood when it shows you something you don't like, then you need to throw it away or put it somewhere in your house very inaccessible to you. This can be detrimental to you wanting to workout, after all, why keep committing to your self if IMMEDIATE results aren't happening? Here is where you need patience. Consistency is key.
    - When the scale goes up by 0.6lbs, that's not a gain. Your body can change weight by 6 lbs in a single day, if not more. A change in weight can happen that is based on your hormones, water retention or digestive bloat, etc
    - You may not lose 1 lb a week even though you are eating clean and working out, that is not an absolute and there are so many other factors that come into play so don't be upset if it doesn't go down.
    - Let's say you weigh 125 lbs, you are eating clean, doing the right workouts to lose body fat, and you are creating a 3500 cal deficit each week for 20 weeks.. on paper this means you would weigh 105 lbs which isn't healthy and won't be the outcome. Your body knows it's set point and will strive to create it. You have to trust it.

Take progress pics. Trust the process, quit obsessing and get off the darn scale!

Michelle Barbuto RN - Specializing in Physical Rehab Nursing
    (¯`*•.¸Master T-Tapp Trainer, Trainer Mentor,
    Mommy Fitness Trainer, Forum Moderator
    ¸.•*´¯)

EMAIL: michelle@t-tapp.com

My Results using T-Tapp -->> Click Here

Become a T-Tapp Trainer --> TnT Mentor

m30201
    02-08-2014, 12:49 AM

That's great advice, Michelle. Thank you.
    Maree

monica213
    02-08-2014, 05:30 AM

I think we (as women) tend to let the "numbers" affect us. I know YEARS ago when I first started T-Tapping I would weigh myself multiple times a day... if I saw a gain I would get depressed and question all of my hard work. But I wasn't looking at things in perspective. I didn't consider lean muscle mass gain, hormones fluctuating, water intake (or lack there of), salt intake etc... I simply saw "a number" It wasn't unti I gave up the obsession of weighing myself that I had peace of mind. Now I focus on my favorite jeans. If they are getting tight, I watch what I eat more carefully or take a better look at my exercise schedule. This and progress pictures are the two best tools to see your progress over the long haul. After all, exercise and eating right is a way of life to look and feel better. There is no quick fix for that.

Here's is to your health, mental, physical and emotional. XO
    sigpic

Michelle Barbuto RN - Specializing in Physical Rehab Nursing
    (¯`*•.¸Master T-Tapp Trainer, Trainer Mentor,
    Mommy Fitness Trainer, Forum Moderator¸.•*´¯)

armygirl
    02-08-2014, 07:20 AM

Wow, Michelle, I needed this... "exercise and eating right is a way of life to look and feel better. There is no quick fix for that."

Thanks!
    Michelle

mamalove
    02-08-2014, 09:33 AM

Wow, excellent! I know that for me, that is ringing true.

Since starting the challenge, I've not been losing weight as I did before BUT everyone keeps asking how much weight I've lost. It all goes back to building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat!

Thanks Michelle! <3
    Abbie

BlessedMama
    02-08-2014, 10:35 AM

A WOMAN AFTER MY OWN HEART! ♥

I've said if I were a superhero, I'd be the heroine that flies around on a crusade to RID THE WORLD OF THOSE DEVILISH SCALES!

I have the SAME experiences with clients, people e-mailing me, Facebook groups and friends, Michelle! And I'm watching some ditch working out to focus on eating so they can get the scales down. Yes, they are losing "weight" but like you said--what kind of weight?

I am actually working on the chapter in my e-book titled "What I mean by 'weight doesn't matter'"! Timely! I might ask permission to quote you!

Did I ever tell you how from the October Retreat to the November Wellness Weekend I lost a size--I mean, my workout pants were so baggy Teresa took pity on me and found some others I could use!

BUT I gained 10 lbs within that time and then lost it--even though my eating didn't change!

I only weigh now to prove my point--and laugh at the dumb scales!
    ~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

LilDeb
    02-08-2014, 10:40 AM

Love this conversation! Thanks everyone!
    Deborah Etter
    Master T-Tapp Trainer

traceykiesling
    02-08-2014, 03:14 PM

SO GLAD I kicked the scale habit!! In 2009 I lost 35 lbs. As I lifted heavier and heavier weights (much to the chagrin of my elbows and hips and knees) to keep from plateauing, I also made sure I stepped on that scale at least every week. If I even gained one pound, I would run back to something even WORSE: COUNTING CALORIES! Can you imagine keeping THAT up for the rest of your life??? I haven't weighed in about 8 months; my clothes tell me what is going on if I need to know. Neither do I count calories, especially after reading Renee's recommend, The Calorie Myth. ​NO WEIGHTS; NO CALORIE COUNTING! I'm telling you folks, FREEDOM IS SO FREEING!!
    Tracey Kiesling
    Certified AFAA Personal Trainer
    Certified T-Tapp Trainer >

BlessedMama
    02-08-2014, 04:57 PM

YAY Tracey! Preach it, sistah! *waving hankie*
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

just7
    02-09-2014, 06:57 AM

Last weekend, dh bought me a whole new wardrobe. Every garment I came out of the dressing room fit and looked lovely and he couldn't help himself! What was amazing was I felt and looked great...and smaller. I got dressed this morning and the outfit I am wearing looks even better than it did last weekend when I wore it for the first time out to dinner with dh.

The point?? I had stepped on the scale first...and I was up in weight. I knew I was bloated...my fingers told me that and I had had Chinese for dinner last night. I had to verbally remind myself of Michelle's post here...that I had read yesterday!!!

Just saying....
    Jennifer

CrystalS
    02-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Trisch, I'm surprised, you're not like, *cough* "Crystal, *cough* you might want to look around on the boards and especially look at Michelle's postings" LOL!!!!! This is JUST what I needed today. Thanks, Michelle, very well said! So far this challenge, I'm up FOUR pounds and I was just grumbling to Trisch the other day. :/
    Crystal......Blessed with five children in six years - wife to my wonderful husband for 15 years.

TTapp is helping me physically and mentally. 😃

BlessedMama
    02-10-2014, 12:59 PM

LOL Crystal! Well, I didn't want to BEAT you with it, ya know!

HUGS!
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Vickis
    01-23-2015, 05:01 AM

Good morning! wow, I needed to read this post this morning. This morning, I thought I would weigh myself, its been a month since starting ttapp again and I have lost almost a size. Unfortunatley, I stepped on the darn scales and it was up 3 lbs. from the last time I weighed. Immediately, my heart sunk! Its crazy, I let a number dictate how my day started, I refuse to let it get to me! I slipped my formerly tight jeans on and saw the results right there in front of me, not on some dumb scale! My scale is going to the back of my closet!!!

BlessedMama
    01-23-2015, 12:08 PM

Love this!

Yep - - just got back into 8s - - who cares what the scales say?! :-)
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Comment

peacefuljewel01
      01-23-2015, 12:32 PM

Last time I weighed about what I weigh now, I was 2 almost 3 sizes larger. I did throw out my scale literally...just going off what the Dr said last time I was there.
      Amber

Jeanamarie
      01-23-2015, 09:01 PM

Great Thread! I have a perfectly good scale gathering dust in the corner behind my sink cabinet in the bathroom. Hah! Take THAT, scale! (OMG... Trisch, I love your new Nickname!!!)

On to melting inches and making cinches.. the T-Tapp way!
      Jean
      Started Tapping fall 2010, 2011 January Jumpstart Grand Prize Winner Over 50 less to lose.
      T-Tapp trainer TWO!

Cmirams
      01-25-2015, 01:45 PM

Thank you for bumping this post. I too noticed a weight gain the first week of the Challenge - after exercising consistently and being very careful in my eating. My response - chocolate and a "I might as well eat because this isn't working" response.

I did banish the scale to the hall closet but have been tempted all week to pull it out (I didn't realize how often I relied on that monster). I now have received 'permission' from our wonderful trainers to leave that horrible machine hidden away. Thank you ladies for the support. 'My name is Cathy and I have a scale addiction.'

Comment

Working...
      X