Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OIP - Organs in Place

Originally posted by champagne109 02-17-2006, 09:19 PM

Does anyone know why I don't really feel anything during this move?

Champagne

Tina71
    02-17-2006, 09:51 PM
    Have you went over all of the form tips for OIP? Are you using your fingers like claws to really dig in my your hip bones to push things in and up?

Tina

monica213
    02-17-2006, 09:55 PM
    Hi Champagne,

when you lie on your back as described and dig your fingers in deep on the left side near the hip bone, I want you to cough, when you cough you will feel the muscles tighten down under your fingers, those are the muscles you are aiming to feel on the *Tighten and Release* part. See if that helps you.

Michelle Barbuto

mbecker
    02-18-2006, 11:18 AM
    I don't always feel this move either, but I just keep trying and sometimes I can feel more stuff moving and sometimes I can't...but it is helping me cinch in. Oh, I will have to try that cough to make sure I am tightening the right muscles!

Marie

sostinkinhappy
    02-18-2006, 04:49 PM
    I just worked with a client on this very subject this last week and came up with (what I thought) was a brilliant way to help you discover your transverse abs, the muscles that you should be working in this move!!!!

Let me go take care of the little one and I will get right back to you...

Melynda Fitt
    TTapp Trainer, Northern VA

sostinkinhappy
    02-18-2006, 05:14 PM
    Okay, this is part one to my response . It is an excerpt from an email I wrote to someone who was having diastasis rectis issues, but much of it is applicable in your situation as well (BTW, thank you Lani for the great ideas and info that got me thinking about this issue a while ago). I will follow up with part two in a bit...

I feel like I need to give you a little anatomy lesson on what is going on inside. We all have three sets of abdominal muscles--the rectus abdominus, the obliques, and the transverse. The rectus abdominus is the outer most muscle and it runs up and down from the sternum to the pubic bones. It has two halves, known as recti, that are normally about a quarter of an inch apart and are joined together by a fibrous piece of tissue called the linegra alba. The linegra alba, or white line, is stretchy, kind of like a rubber band. The hormone that prepares a woman for labor by relaxing the joints and muscles also affects the linea alba and makes it stretch more easily. As the muscles separate, the linegra alba stretches sideways and becomes thinner, like a piece of plastic wrap covering your organs. This separation is called diastasis.

The other sets muscles, the internal and external obliques, are the middle layer of the abs. The obliques are the muscles that enable you to flex your trunk and turn from side to side. Since the obliques are attached to the recti, doing forward crossover oblique exercises will make the diastasis bigger so avoid cross-over situps while rehabbing your tummy!

Finally, the transverse muscle, (the innermost abdominal muscle) goes straight around the abdomen and back like a corset. It attaches to the bottom six ribs and the top of the muscle goes behind the recti and the bottom of the muscle goes in front of the recti. You will want to get to know your transverse muscle well--it will be come your best friend in the process of rehabbing your mummy tummy! More on that later though.

The transverse abdominus is the muscle that we use to push babies out, to get up, to lie down, and to support our backs. It is also the secret to developing a strong core and to rehabbing the tummy. The best part about working your transverse is that you are actually working at least four muscle groups at the same time!!! Talk about working smarter, not harder! Besides the transverse, you also work the recti in front, the lumbar multifidius (the deepest muscles in the back which cover the spinal column in your lower back), and the pelvic floor muscles such as the pubococcygeus.

Okay, so now we have a basic understanding of the transverse abdominus and why it is so important. Here is the really great news: every single TTapp move, whether standing or on the floor can work your transverse abs if you do it correctly!!! But first, you have to get in touch with it so you can learn how to contract it properly. Organs in Place/Half Frogs are the best exercise to help rehab the trans. abs., but before you learn that, here is something you can use effectively NOW, to help you get accustomed to recruiting it. This will help you fire it up for the entire TTapp workout, even when standing!

Patricia, meet your Transverse Abdominus:

1. Lie down on your back on a firm surface, knees bent, feet flat on floor, hips width apart.

2. Place a small folded towel under the small of your back, so that the natural curve through the lumbar region feels supported; it should feel comfortable.

3. Take in a deep breath, relaxing the belly open as you do so. Don't be shy, just let it all hang out. After all, no one is there to see you, and we are all friends, anyway! Now place your fingers just below your bellybutton and push in. Cough hard--did you feel that contraction under your fingers? That was your transverse abdominus! Do it several times if you have to too really get a feeling for it. After you have found it, don't worry about the hands anymore for now.

4. Exhale and imagine pulling from behind the pooch in and up toward the spine, pressing the lower back into the towel. You may NOT use gluteals, legs, feet, or anything else; just the muscle deep in the belly. You will only be able to tilt the pelvis about 10 degrees using the TA alone; if more than that, you have kicked in other muscles through hips and you want to isolate for training.

5. Now, take your right hand and place it on the left side of your stomach, with the heel of your hand near the belly button and the fingers toward your right hip. Place your left hand on the right side of the belly, heel of the hand towards the belly button and fingers towards the hip bone. While maintaining pelvic stabilization with the TA, breathe deeply through the belly as you hold your back pressed into the towel and pull your trans abs together when you exhale, using your hands to help maintain neurokinetic awareness. This requires that you contract the external obliques slightly while relaxing the rectus abdominus (the large "6 pack" muscle which always wants to kick in and is used in situps).

6. Hold pressure against the towel for about 10 seconds. 1,001, 1,002, 1,003, 1,004, 1,005, 1,006, 1,007, 1,008, 1,009, 1,010. Don't overdo the push with full force, because remember the tilt can't be that big anyway .

7. Relax.
    Now, when you do TTapp standing up (such as MORE or Beginner Rehab), Teresa is always saying, "Tuck harder, bend deeper," etc. When you are tucked hard enough and your knees are bent deep enough, you will actually feel the transverse abs engage and pull everything in about another 1/4" to 1/2". That's why TTapp is so good at helping rehab the transverse abs--the basic TTapp stance activates all those muscles, in particular the transverse abs.

Melynda Fitt

Last edited by Forum Angel; 04-04-2016, 11:55 AM.

Comment

sostinkinhappy
      02-18-2006, 05:34 PM
      Here is Part Two:

Now that you have found your transverse abs, you can take it a step further when learning how to do OIP/HF. You are going to need a long scarf or a towel folded several times lengthwise for this.

Now, get in the same position as describe in Part 1 and perform all the steps. This time, don’t place the small towel below your lower back. I want you to really learn what it feels like to press you lower back into the floor and keep it there at all times through the entire “Meet Your Trans Abs” and OIP/HF sequence.

Now take the scarf and wrap it around your hips and lower abs, crossing it over in the front, just below your belly button. You are going to use the ends to help pull the trans abs together, much like you did in Step 5 of Part 1.

Go through the Step 1-3 of the article http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/flatstomach/ , really concentrating on relaxing the belly open just prior to “moving” the organs up. On the fourth step, grab both ends of the scarf and pull the ends as you tighten the muscles underneath. The “cinching in” action of the scarf will help give you a visual on what is happening to your transverse abdominus and the place where the scarf crosses in the front just under your belly button is where you should concentrate on pulling your abs up and in towards. Release and repeat for another 8 counts. Now, do the 20 lifts, and every time you lift and tuck your butt (for the move my husband affectionately calls “Jane Fondas”), pull the scarf tight across your abs, and picture your trans abs following the same kind of movement.

Don’t use the scarf every time, just until you regain the neurokinetic awareness of where, what, when, and how to tighten the muscles in the abs. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask! Hopefully my instructions were clear enough, but if not, I will try to clarify things.

Happy TTapping!

Melynda Fitt

aj
      02-18-2006, 09:54 PM
      Wow Melynda, that's a lot of information. I'm going to try the scarf thing tomorrow!

Pluto2
      02-18-2006, 10:46 PM
      Wow, I second AJ - a lot of GOOD information. Looking forward to practicing it all tonight or, most likely, tomorrow.

BTW, Melynda, I enjoyed reading your description about your DH when you pushed him along doing the TWO (or as far as he would go). T-Tapp isn't for "sissys", it's tough and gets tougher the stronger/more flexible you are.

I also enjoyed your little anatomy lesson on what is going on inside re: the 3 ab muscles. Thank you.

Linda

sostinkinhappy
      02-19-2006, 11:13 AM
      Thanks you April and Linda! I came up with the scarf thing a couple of weeks ago when I was working with a client who has had 4 children and 2 C-sections and just wasn't "getting it." Granted, it isn't entirely my idea--it's really a physical therapy concept, I just applied it using TTapp techniques. What was really exciting is that Susan lost 5 1/2" in just her waist and 7 in her stomach alone during her 2 week bootcamp using this method! I would haveneverbelieved it had I not seen the actual measurements myself.

Happy TTapping--

Melynda Fitt

sostinkinhappy
      02-21-2006, 01:05 AM
      I have been using the technique for another client and she just measured and lost 4 inches on her waist and 4 around her tummy! She too is a mommy who has had several kids and simply lost touch with her trans abs...

I think we may be on to something here ladies...April, have you tried this yet? Linda? Just curious--[ ]

Melynda Fitt

mindymp
      02-22-2006, 01:31 AM
      Sign me up Melynda. I have one of those 4 pregnancy one C-section abs. The truth is I am still numb in some places right over my bladder. T-Tapp is helping but the progress seems so slow. Can't wait to get home and give this a try.
      Malinda

MAGNOLIA73
      02-22-2006, 01:19 PM
      Did the woman who lost 5 1/2" in her waist and 7" in her abs do anything else on her 2 week bc besides those 2 moves told about in detail? If so,,what else did she do? That is such a GREAT inch loss.
      Very inspirational.

Thanks for the info.

Amy in MS

sostinkinhappy
      02-24-2006, 07:38 AM
      Woohoo!!!! I finally made the Must Read List! That's kind of like being on the bestseller list of TTapp, right?

And the woman who had such great inch loss did a 2 week Beginnier/Rehab workout. She busted her behind to get to my house every morning at 5:00 a.m. to do it, through bitter cold, snow, sleet, dark. I worked her really hard about keeping her form--pressing the lower back into a neutrual position even while standing (the no "kidney bean" theory) and keeping her butt tucked super hard. After we finished working out, she did OIP/HF using the scarf to help her rediscover her long lost abs. She was faily fit prior to the bootcamp so we were both **shocked** to see how many inches she had lost from just 2 weeks.

Happy TTapping!

Melynda Fitt

Lnanaa
      02-25-2006, 12:43 PM
      I have been doing the OIP for the last 2 days. One thing I noticed that I get some cramping feelings after I do them. I do feel the burn on the bottom of my ab and I assumed that is what I am supposed to feel when I do the OIP. But I'm not sure about the cramping. It feels like I have my period but I just finish my period last week and I rarely get cramps during my periods. Am I doing this right?

Thanks,
      Lauren

sostinkinhappy
      02-25-2006, 07:22 PM
      This is actually a somewhat common occurance, especially if you have any misalignment issues with the pelvis or sacroilliac joints. Don't worry though, you aren't doing anything to hurt yourself or injure anything. When you are pressing on the muscles down in that area as you put the organs in place, you often activate some of the deeper muscle attachments. If it is uncomfortable, do PBS after OIP the way it is taught in MORE, really tucking the glutes as hard as you can and rounding the lower back to help those muscles release.

Happy TTapping!

Melynda Fitt

MightyA
      03-02-2006, 06:51 PM
      Melynda, thanks for your helpful post. I can't wait to try your tweaks tonight!
      Gloria

MightyA -

sostinkinhappy
      03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
      You are more than welcome! Let us know how it works for you--

Melynda Fitt

EarthMama
      10-18-2009, 09:39 PM
      Okay, I officially LOVE this thread! I'm pretty sure I have diastasis rectis. I love the detailed instructions from sostinkinhappy. I plan on following them very closely. Do most people do OIP/HF before bed? Or after their workout? Or both? And would you do them everyday or just on workout days?

Angela

BlessedMama
      10-18-2009, 10:11 PM
      Angela, I do them before my workout, although I've read recommendations to do it after PBS and even after a workout, so whatever works for you!

I also do them before bed. It might take awhile to really feel those ab muscles and get them connected, but it WILL come! I forget how long Charlotte said it took before she really felt it, but it was awhile!

I would add do NOT be in a hurry to do floor work (other than OIP/HF). It really has taken me 2+ years to have the ab strength to get through the floor workouts now. Trust me that doing OIP/HF and the standing workouts, knees out for the tummy (helps engage the ab muscles) and curling the core will do as much if not more than tons of floorwork!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
      ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
      ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
      -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

andaleeb
      11-21-2015, 12:00 PM
      hii there..

I wanted to know is it necessary to perform OIP along with half frog series ? or can OIP done alone 2 to 3 times in one go? ​

ayj67
      11-21-2015, 12:19 PM
      Originally posted by andaleeb View Post
      hii there..

I wanted to know is it necessary to perform OIP along with half frog series ? or can OIP done alone 2 to 3 times in one go? ​
      Yes, we do OIP, Half Frog and Elevators all together. It is one integral move. OIP is really the generic name for all of them, we do not just dig and move the organ up if we were not trying to use the transerver abdominal muscles to do some exercise. Mitten Chop Box or the Box is our variation of OIP standing up. It is a part of the leverage isometric we do in the whole Basic or whatever standing workout. If you do lying on the floor, the minimum is HF/E if you are not doing a full floor workout.

OIP is our warmup, cool down and all purpose stretching between moves on the floor, just like PBS for standing workouts.

Comment

Working...
      X