Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck Feet

Originally posted by yumster 08-25-2009, 10:38 PM

I have the worst case of duck feet you can imagine. I also have saddlebags and knee knocker fat. Is there anything I can do in addition to the Basic Workout Plus that will help me? It is a struggle to simply keep my feet straight while pushing my knees out. Any ideas?

Piglet2u
    08-26-2009, 12:41 AM

Casey in the T-Tapp office explained to me that the fat pads inside the knees are a result of duck feet. She advised going up stairs focusing on keeping the toes pointing forward and keeping wt off the big toe. I am fortunate to have stairs inside my home, so I can do this all the time without holding anyone up.

Basically anytime you walk, try to monitor your feet to be sure you are not walking like a duck. In the beginning it will feel like you are walking pigeon toed, but you are not.

Also, check out the Must Read Threads at the begininng of the General Discussion section. So much great info there!

Lifetime changes take time. Be kind to yourself and do the best you can.

Piglet2u

just7
    08-26-2009, 07:27 AM

Just keep working at it. It really just takes the Basics...toes forward whenever you are walking with weight on outside three toes. Piglet was right about the stairs, I think that really helps too. Time and a desire to make the change really works!

Jennifer

Blissful
    08-26-2009, 10:03 AM

like someone on here said once about duck feet, awareness is half the battle!! Just keep at it! I still have to remind myself!

Lucy

Jillmar
    08-26-2009, 12:36 PM

Practrice makes perfect! These ladies are right! Just do the best you can and it will come eventually. One GOOD thing is you are aware of it and can try to catch yourself when the feet tend to go out. Eventually, you will only have to remind yourself once in a while! Good luck and keep us posted!

Jill Brightbill
    T-Tapp Trainer

Xcitedtapper
    08-26-2009, 12:45 PM

From one duck footer to another ... it's a hard habit to break. I notice that after I am walking in my house and stop while doing housework and then I look down, yep there they are are, turned out just like a duck. When I sit at my desk at work ... yep ... just like a duck! Like someone else posted, being aware is half the battle! Wow did a light go off when I saw Teresa demonstrate why we have knee fat! I am adding that to my chant of bend it, tuck it, lift it .... no duck feet!

Sharlyn

jen6
    08-26-2009, 02:08 PM

You can do it Yumster! NO MORE DUCK FEET!

Now that you are aware of it, you will be consciously thinking about it most of the time when walking so more than half the battle is done. It takes 30 days to make a habit so you'll be straight walking all the time soon. Then you'll start noticing all the other swarms of ducks all around you.

Master T-Tapp Trainer Jennifer Kent

fruitvine
    08-26-2009, 03:48 PM

Ha-ha, Jen! *quack* *quack* We're surrounded! (sorry, we just watched the old Hitchcock movie The Birds)

For a long time I felt like I was walking pigeon-toed just keeping my toes forward. But now I keep 'em straight naturally, so hang in there!

**Charlotte Siems**
    T-Tapp Master Trainer, certified in Senior Fit

Suses
    08-26-2009, 06:29 PM

Maybe I got something wrong

OK I understand no big toe, but I seem to remember you use BBJ but if you are keeping weight to the last 3 toes how does this work.

Did I misunderstand and it is also no BBJ?

yumster
    08-26-2009, 07:21 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I have actually been worried that maybe I was just "put together wrong" but I guess if I can keep those duck feet straight when I focus on them, it must just be bad habit. I'm going to keep trying...I feel like this makes sense with both the saddlebags and the knee fat. I'll keep you posted!

Piglet2u
    08-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Sharlynn, I do that too! (Noticing duck feet when I sit at the computer!)
    We are all a work in progress! Once we get tuned in to our Duck Feet, we will be able to feel it and correct it right away. None of us want those fat pads on the sides of our knees!

This is a good "reminder thread!"

Piglet2u

Tara*
    08-27-2009, 04:05 PM

Since I doing t-tapp I just cannot sit or stand the way as before. I sit down, feel my duckfeet, so I start to moving around, aligning my body, my feet. The same as standing. The weight is on only one side? Uhh got to do something, so I moving around, finding the comfortable standing position. Feets are quacking? Uhh ... and the moving around starts.... never some rest Poor ducks will going to extinct from our lives

yumster
    09-19-2009, 09:25 PM

Duck Feet

Well, have been tapping about a month and am VERY aware of the duck feet. The saddlebag on my left side is actually slimming down (hard to believe!). Unfortunately, the one on the right is not and may even be more noticeable. Any thoughts on extra work I can do? I am doing AL EOD but I am having trouble "feeling" it.

Tara*
    09-20-2009, 01:27 AM

Maybe the AwsomeLegs wo? This one was did miracles with my legs! Really Awsome!

BlessedMama
    09-20-2009, 07:17 AM

Maybe Dantheman's tips on AL will help!

https://forum.t-tapp.com/forum/main-...-figure-it-out

Warning! They are KILLER tips! You might only get through one round!

Also, are you sure you're not ducking out a bit during the workout? Sometimes we have a foot that likes to "stray" while we're focusing on something else. Do you have lines in your carpet or could you put some masking tape down so you could see it?

Another tip I've learned from trainers is to put the outsides of your feet parallel. You will feel pigeon-toed, but that's okay!

HTH! Hooray for the lessening of the saddlebags!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Comment

Blissful
      09-20-2009, 09:59 AM

yumster that's great about the saddlebags slimming! and that's one thing I've learned from t-tapp, after keeping track of my measurements over the years, is that it evens everything out eventually! My measurements became much more balanced between the right and left sides especially when I entered the challenge and was REALLY tapping consistently, every other day.
      and like it was mentioned b4, I would make sure your feet aren't drifting out during the wo, I constantly have to monitor mine since I have duck feet tendencies and have been starting to implement the "outsides of feet parallel" tip which makes me feel even more pigeon toed but I can also feel my inner thighs more too!
      you're doing great! ,

Lucy

Jillmar
      09-20-2009, 04:21 PM

Yumster, what workout are you doing?

Jill Brightbill
      T-Tapp Trainer

yumster
      09-20-2009, 05:02 PM

Duck Feet

I am doing BWO+ with AL, DD and Pretzel EOD. I do TWO once or twice/week. I walk or do SATI twice/week. I am trying to read everything I can about plies and lunges...they are both chalenges for me. I also do not "feel" AL yet but have read and will try to apply the great dantheman tips posted earlier. Any thoughts about my oddball right saddlebag?

Jillmar
      09-20-2009, 05:16 PM

Dantheman's tips are fantastic! I happen to know Dan and his wife personally and they are very knowledgeable when it comes to T-Tapping. Try them and see how it goes. The main thing is to slow it down, tighten all the muscles and don't flop your legs.

When doing BWO+ and any other move that requires doing one side then the other try alternating sides each time, i.e., if you usually start on the left for Hoedowns start on the right. Keep switching it up. That may help even things out. Keep us posted please! We are cheering for you!

And by the way, your routine sounds awesome. I love AL, DD and Pretzel Twists. They are probably my favorite moves!

Jill Brightbill
      T-Tapp Trainer

yumster
      09-20-2009, 06:52 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll take your advice and see what happens! Onward and upward!

Jillmar
      09-20-2009, 07:15 PM
      Good luck Yumster. Let us know how you doing!

Jill Brightbill
      T-Tapp Trainer

yumster
      10-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Just a quick update to bring hope to all you duck footed t-tappers! I have walked like a duck since childhood (I am 55). As a result I had the worst saddlebags and knee knocker fat you can imagine. I've been tapping since August (2009). EOD, I do BWO+, AL, pretzel twist, DD . Other days, TWO. You might recall I had been doing this in a RV as we travel all summer. So I didn't take photos, measure, etc.

I actually noticed my right saddlebag looking bigger but kept on tapping. Well, today, both saddlebags have smoothed out. The knee fat is reducing and I am easily into a size 4 (I'm short...4' 11"). I focus on keeping those duck feet straight and am actually able to walk that way for the most part.

Keep focused, KLT, watch your form and it will work

Jillmar
      10-21-2009, 02:16 PM

Congratulations, Yumster! I knew Tapping would pull through for you! Good work!

Jill Brightbill
      T-Tapp Trainer

Comment

Dantheman
        10-30-2009, 08:42 AM

Hi Yumster,
        I have been working on this for sometime now, and I think these tips will help in correcting “Duck Feet”. Since you have always walked this way, I hope that using these T-Tapp fundamentals will bring you into alignment quickly.

Let’s position yourself with your left foot forward and your right foot back in a walking stance. Forget about the position of the left foot for the moment. Oddly enough, your focus begins with the back foot as you begin to walk. The first thing you should do is make sure that the right foot is in alignment. Meaning that your right back heal and toes are in a straight line. Also that your ankle is positioned directly your under knee. Think back to Jazz Twist and the Second Lunge move, your back heal needs to be in this position (don’t let your heal point out or in; keep it nice and straight) before you begin to roll on the foot to lift it forward. Ok, is your back heal now in the alignment? GREAT! Now, as you begin to roll on the right foot, allow your weight load to compress against the bottom of outside portion of the foot (KLT fashioned) and finish the move using your little toes to leave the ground last. The second thing is: as you are moving your right leg and foot forward is to keep the foot, ankle and knee alignment from lift. Third thing is when your right foot comes along to the side of the left foot is to keep the spacing or distance very very short. They will almost touch but don’t. Forth thing is; while still keeping the right foot, ankle, and knee in alignment allow it come down in alignment and with the same spacing distance that you had when it passed your left foot (very very close). Check it out! Does the Right foot QUACK?
        Now follow this sequence for your left foot.

So, the focus is on the back foot alignment with ankle, and knee and it is carried through in the step keeping a narrow spacing between feet.
        For practice, go to a parking lot that has driving lines painted for cars (but don’t play in the traffic). The Driving lines are about 4 inches wide. As you walk along, try to keep you inside of shoe within the edge of the line. Adjust this spacing according to your comfort level. I am thinking you may be more on the line than on the edge of the line. You don’t want to walk the line heal to toe like a railroad rail, but use the line as a guide to ensure your spacing is close and consistent.

Let us know how about your progress.

Dantheman

cbuffy
        10-30-2009, 08:49 AM

Ooooh, now I want to run down to the parking lot!!!! Thanks Dan! (again)

Cbuffy

Dantheman
        10-30-2009, 08:59 AM

Go for it CBUFF!

I'll wait to hear back from you!

Dantheman

BlessedMama
        10-31-2009, 12:00 AM

I'm going to have to go update that list of your tips again, Dan!

Hmmm...parking lots are pretty scarce here in the boonies. Might have to "go to town" to see what I can find!

I just wonder what people will think seeing a lady in her jumper, headcovering and walking shoes out walking the parking lot lines like when we were kids.......

Never know though! Might be able to strike up a conversation about T-Tapp!

[just wonder if I can get dh to try it.....HE'S actually the one who walks like a duck!]

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
        Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

BlessedMama
        11-02-2009, 04:29 PM

I found it! Coming back from my walk down a country lane (well, sort of a country lane!) I have to walk about 100 feet of state highway. I'm walking along the edge and THERE IT IS!

The white line on the side of the road! YES!

So I take Dan's advice and walk the line---of course also watching for oncoming cars! --and let me tell you! Even if you're NOT a duck walker, this will work those thighs!

So now on my way to and from my "country lane" I can "walk the line"!

See? Even we country gals out in the sticks can find a way!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
        Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

yumster
        11-02-2009, 09:02 PM

Thanks so much, Dan! The duck-walk issue has been a tough one, since I have ALWAYS done it. Focusing on T-tapp stance and form has certainly helped (and I have seen results with lessened saddle bags and knee fat) but I really have to focus to keep in alignment when I'm not tapping. Your description resonated with me and made even more sense when I put on my MBT trainers. Like Blessed Mamma, I have been using the lines in the road since we live in a semi-rural area...it sure forces you to tighten up even through the lower abs. I'll keep you posted...thanks again for the instruction.

Comment

Working...
        X