• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Angel
    started a topic Full vs. Short Workout

Full vs. Short Workout

Originally posted by monica213 12-05-2009, 06:56 AM

There has been some question recently about full vs. short workout. I have spelled it out here, so let me know if you have any questions!

Anything 30 minutes or more <generally> is considered a full workout. Now there are a few exceptions to this rule. There are some Workouts that incorporate adv. muscle activation that are 30 minutes and are full workouts (eg... Tempo torso or LadyBug Floor) Here is a list of the workouts and where they fall.

FULL WORKOUTS:
    • Total Workout
    • Inst 2
    • All the Tempos (T2, Arms, Torso, Lower Body, & Intermediate)
    • Basic and Step Away (together)
    • Step it to the Max
    • Basic and Hit the Floor (together)
    • Barefoot Basic Instructional plus workout
    • Barefoot Basic (without Instructional)
    • Hit the Floor Harder
    • Maxi Maxes 1, 2 & 3
    • Maxi Max Extreme
    • Critter Crunch
    • Critter Crunch 2
    • Super Slow
    • LadyBug Standing
    • LadyBug Floor
    • LadyBug Combo
    • FULL Broom workout
    • Senior Fit Instructional, Level 1 or Tempo 4
    • Healthy Hormones Menopause Management

SHORT Workouts: (Can be done on Short workout days)
    • Basic Workout<Inst 1>
    • Step Away the Inches
    • Hit the Floor
    • HTFS
    • Tempo Lower Body <floor portion> BY ITSELF
    • Hit the Floor Harder <floor portion> BY ITSELF
    • TappCore 1 or 2
    • Broom 2
    • Debulk Sequences Barre Workout

The rule is anything above 20 minutes of high intensity aerobic activity shouldn't be done on your off days.

Now MORE walks a fine line depending on ones age, fitness level, sizes needed to lose, health issues or physical capabilities. If you CAN complete BWO, then MORE can be used as a short workout. Otherwise, it is a FULL workout. MORE Level 2 can also follow this rule, along with the Workout with Teresa and Berei on MORE 2.

• Forum Angel
    replied
    Kasey-girl
    05-13-2010, 08:20 AM
    Michelle-Thanks for the answer. Apparently I hadn't had my coffee, or needed MORE LOL! I don't know where I came up with the TappCore thing now that I look back....

Kasey

monica213
    05-13-2010, 10:50 AM
    Twiddles - Add PBS to every day and it looks good and yes HTF level 1/2 is HTFS & HTF. Remain consistent, you are doing great!!

Cmoskal - HTFH FLOOR PORTION ONLY is a short workout, in its entirety it is a FULL workout

Michelle Barbuto RN - Specializing in Physical Rehab Nursing

Piglet2u
    05-13-2010, 04:40 PM
    Michelle, this is one of the best and most comprehensive posts on which is a Full WO and which is a short one. Thanks! It's easy enough for new and not so new Tappers to understand.

I think this will help me bump up my WO's for the challenge as now I can easily see which ones I can do on my Off Days.

Question - Some of the ones in the shorter WO's are shorter than 30 min, but longer than 20 min. Are these OK because they are not as strenuous?

Piglet2u

joyfulmom26
    05-13-2010, 05:01 PM
    Well...I did my PBS/OIP/HF/EL/AL and then BWO+ today...but I FEEL like I did a full workout because I was trying to apply all the form tips I've been learning!! ROFL!!

Piglet2u
    05-18-2010, 03:23 AM
    Michelle, could you make this thread a "sticky" ?
    I was looking for it to share with another Tapper who had questions
    about this very topic.

It's really a wonderfully helpful thread!

Piglet2u

stalwartlight
    05-19-2010, 09:09 AM
    And to think Instructional 1 makes me sweat like a pig! My fitness level must be durned low. Earlier this year I was doing Instructional 1 and 2 on alternating days. Inst 2 kicked my BUNS. I stopped because it was so difficult to handle and took so much time (like 50 mins or so). But then I went through a depression and became extremely sedentary, and all the positive effects wore off. Now I'm struggling to get into shape again.

Intestingly, BWO+ and TWO went way too fast for me. They still do. I prefer to go slower and focus on the form using Instructionals. Would be nice to be able to do TWO or BWO+ instead, then I could pack in great results in less time. Oh well.

My big killer has been consistency, and I've had the DVDs now for a couple years. So I am doing a bootcamp with just Instructional 1 plus HDs and advanced HDs, wimpy as I suppose that is! So first I am building consistency, then once I get that down I'll try and go faster. Good idea?

Piglet2u
    05-19-2010, 11:48 AM
    Stalwartlight, that sounds like a good plan to me.
    Are these the only 2 WO's you have?
    If you would like to have shorter WO's that pack a punch and
    have great instructionals, I highly recommend the MORE DVD.
    It has 3 full WO's and 3 short WO's on it.
    The instructional is superb, IMHO!

The shorter WO's are great when you are pressed for time and
    just want to get something in, or if you want to add-on to the
    full WO's to bring yourself up to 30+ minutes, which is optimum.

If you have the Fit & Fabulous book, don't forget there is a 30%
    coupon in the back that you could use to get it.

Piglet2u

just7
    05-20-2010, 07:52 AM
    Sometimes we think that doing the Instructions just really slows us down and we need to get to the Actual Workout to see any results. Doing the Instructions BRINGS results!!! You are right in thinking that going slower and really thinking about muscle activation is good for you---it IS! You are not a wimp for only being able to stick with the Instructions right now. You are doing the very best thing for YOU!

I did hear on another thread that doing HDs and Advanced Hoe Downs back to back is not a good idea, though--just FYI.

If you want a little variety, break up Inst. #2 over 2 or even 3 days. Just be sure to do a PBS 1st each time.

(don't know why that red face is up there! I didn't click on it. Still trying to figure out my laptop and the sensitive pad!)

Jennifer

ckmoskal
    04-05-2011, 12:55 PM
    Just looked at this thread again. I'm surprised that TLB floor portion alone is a short work out. It's 30 minutes by itself and if you do PBS prior, then you're well over 30 minutes. I personally think it's challenging with Pretzel Twist and Diva Derriere at the end of it.

Cassie

MargieK
    04-05-2011, 03:36 PM
    Originally posted by just7 View Post
    I did hear on another thread that doing HDs and Advanced Hoe Downs back to back is not a good idea, though--just FYI.
    On Tempo Torso, Teresa does one set of HoeDowns, followed by one set of Advanced HoeDowns, iirc.

HollyJayne
    04-06-2011, 03:01 PM
    I have just read through this entire thread, and am still totally confused. Which workouts are best, and which should be used for a regular workout schedule? Long or short? Which are better for inch/weight loss?

Holly

BlessedMama

04-06-2011, 03:08 PM
    Well, Holly, what helped me was to go to the Habit Formers information thread. I pretty much use Track 1 workouts, which are generally "short" workouts. Track 2 are generally "full" ones.

The thing you need to remember, however, is to listen to your body. If you have adrenal issues or health issues, what may be a "short" workout to someone else (say, MORE) will be more like a full workout to you and you should still go EOD.

Here's the HFer thread:

https://forum.t-tapp.com/forum/main-...formers-basics

I personally would do full (track 2) workouts only EOD, with just PBS and a HD or two on off days. Some people can and like to add a "short" (track 1) workout in between, but that is NOT for someone with health issues or adrenal fatigue! And still, one day completely off per week (except for PBS) is in order.

If you don't have health or adrenal issues, you can also do shorter workouts (track 1) every day, again, taking 1 day completely off. I have done mostly shorter workouts 4-6 times per week.

Hope that clears things up a bit!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
    Last edited by Forum Angel; 04-16-2016, 05:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Forum Angel
    replied
    Nuggan
    12-05-2009, 06:19 PM
    Ok, I have a question...I just ordered the MORE Package. I could probably do the Basic work out just fine, but my DH needs something very slow due to his physical limitations.

SO, could I do the MORE + Step Away for a Full Work Out and do the CORE on the off days?

I will most likely order the basic plus or some of the other ones you listed as a full workout at a later date, but I need to start with this and I want to make sure I am doing what will give me good results.

Thanks!

ETA: I notice on the MORE DVD there is a broom workout on there, is that the full broom workout that you list above?

monica213
    12-05-2009, 06:31 PM
    MORE Broom is NOT the Broom workout. But you can combine two workouts on the MORE DVD to create a full workout (eg MORE and More Broom) Don't underestimate the power of the MORE workout... kicks my butt every time I do it, because of the muscle activation required!

On off days you could do TappCore, 1 MORE wo or SATI.

ohmyhead
    05-11-2010, 12:38 PM
    It takes me longer to do the "short" workouts b/c I have to press pause, check form, recheck form....(eh-hem). Therefore, my "short" workouts usually run over 30 minutes. Would this change my personal routine to view "short" workouts as "long" workouts and should I maybe just do individual moves (like HD, OIP, PBD, TTT, etc.) on my days off? Not forever...but until my personal max improves? Or do you recommend just pushing through?

monica213
    05-11-2010, 01:28 PM
    I am guessing that you only do the short workouts? Coz if you do the same for the long workouts it would then take you forever?? If that is the case, don't worry about if it is a long or short, just do what you are doing until you build strength and stamina, listen to your body so that you do not over train, and let us know if you have any questions.

Nuggan, HTF or SATI would be ideal next step wo's

ohmyhead
    05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
    monica213: Thank you for your response. Yes...TWO can take quite a while. I usually break it into (2) parts and do one in the AM and one in the PM. (Got that tip from this forum!)

It used to frustrate me that I was so slow...but have found slowing down actually helps me focus on my body - both mentally and physically. I decided one day to actually embrace where I was...just that change in mindset improved my workout tenfold. I see improvements everyday - so someday soon I will be able to keep up with the tapes / dvd. And if not, then I'll march to the beat of my own...tapping.

monica213
    05-11-2010, 03:04 PM

You do Inst 1 in the morn and Inst 2 in the evening... every day?

ohmyhead
    05-11-2010, 03:10 PM

I only do Instructional 1 and Instructional 2 in the same day 2 times a week. The other days I usually just do BWO+ or sometimes just PBS, HD, OIP on busy days. I also take 1 full day off - sometime 2 depending on how I feel or schedule constraints.

monica213
    05-11-2010, 03:17 PM
    whew! ... OK.. carry on! you are doing a good job!

Kasey-girl
    05-12-2010, 09:56 AM
    Michelle-I have been doing MORE lately (for me this is not considered a full w/o). Sometimes I add TappCore Walking. You mentioned adding TappCore for a full w/o-do you mean the whole tappcore? If I do MORE and add TC walking does that count for a full w/o?

Thanks for helping us out-I know I appreciate it.

Kasey

MomofFiveGirls
    05-12-2010, 10:14 PM
    HIT THE FLOOR HARDER IS A SHORT WO? I know, just the floor portion, but . . . Wow. And lbf is a full. Thanks for posting this, Michelle, I never could've figured it out on my own!

BlessedMama
    05-12-2010, 10:20 PM
    LBF is very deceptive! If you think it's easy, you're not activating enough!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

MomofFiveGirls
    05-12-2010, 11:01 PM
    No, I don't think LBF is easy. Neither is HTFH. Hence my surprise. Like I said, glad to have Michelle spell things out!

monica213
    05-13-2010, 05:58 AM
    Kasey-Girl - No , I never said adding Tappcore would make it a full workout did I? (I didn't see it, and I have NOT had my morning coffee LOL) MORE is one of those gray area things. For those who can complete If you are of a low fitness level, have health issues (Such as adrenal fatigue, or have lots of sizes to lose, then you must treat MORE differently and not do it daily) BWO it is NOT a full workout. BEING CONSISTENT is the aim, no matter the workout you choose.

Momoffive - I know HTFH is hard! But Lady bug incorporates adv. muscle activation.

Any other questions??

twiddles
    05-13-2010, 06:32 AM
    Hi Michelle -- Is Hit the Floor Harder/Softer the same as Hit the Floor Level 1/level 2? I did level 1 last night for the very first time, in its entirety (I never was able to do the whole thing because of my back, and I never took the time to work up to it like I should have, so I was quite proud of myself last night)...although I was making grimacing faces and saying stuff like, "Oh no, please don't say we're doing it AGAIN!" to some moves, lol, and I still can't do the move where you have both legs in the air and bend the one leg and then stretch it out parallel to the floor.

If you don't mind, I also have another question - does this weeks' workouts look good (not too much, not too little?) Fri - AL; Sat - AL, HDx2; Sun -Nothing; Mon - BWO+, TTN; Tues - SATI; HDx2, TTN; Wed - HTFlevel1, HD, TTN; Thurs - (planned) AL, TTNx3, HDx3; Fri -(planned) TWO

ckmoskal
    05-13-2010, 08:01 AM
    I thought Hit the Floor was a short WO, but Hit the Floor Harder was a long WO.

Cassie

Leave a comment:

Working...
X