Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Soreness, T-Tapp, and Progress

Originally posted by Lani 11-12-2005, 01:26 PM

Inspired by a question posed by Kona on a thread, this topic presents the opportunity to present some vital information.

Her question was regarding muscle soreness (lack of it) after her first day of Boot Camp. I want to point out that soreness is not necessarily an indicator of work well done!

To explain, I'd like to add some additional perspective on muscle soreness. Though you will experience some muscle soreness as your technique deepens, here again is where T-Tapp breaks from the pack.

I have gotten to where I am with my T-Tapp progress largely without muscle soreness. And nothing like the kind of soreness I might experience with resistance training, either heavy loaded or high-rep lightload. Here's why:

Muscle soreness is largely caused by accumulation of waste products in the tissues. This is "moved out" primarily through function of the lymph, the action of which is activated by stretching, contraction of key muscle groups (i.e. calves), deep breathing, and hydration (drinking water). With T-Tapp, remember we are following a sequence AND implementing alignment and muscle activation strategies that invite the lymphatic system into movement. So you are essentially stretching and creating deeper lymphatic cleansing during the course of the workout. This would result in reduced muscle soreness later on.

Another element of soreness comes from micro-tears in the muscle that, upon, healing, create muscle density. Again, hydration and good nutrition are highly important for this process to proceed with the least amount of discomfort, drain on energy, or muscle soreness. What I mean to say is, muscle soreness is not always necessary for us to progress with building muscle - I've seen it over and over in myself after 6 years of T-Tapping!

Inflammation of muscle tissue is another source of soreness; the body is collecting fluid near the point in question to cool the muscle and buffer and protect; good nutrition (alfalfa for example) can decrease the inflammation along with good hydration (there's that water again!); thus there are also tools we can use to decrease the body's stress response.

Hope this helps clarify some soreness questions!

Lani

Head T-Tapp Trainer

AngieB
    11-12-2005, 01:48 PM
    Lani
    This is a great and informative post. I use T-tapp to get rid of my back pain and muscle stiffness, so I am the opposite in a way from getting sore after doing T-tapp. I find if I dont do PBS every morning, my back says, "You forgot to stretch me today didn't you?" I am now eager to drink more water with your wonderful explanation of hydrating the muscles. I have no idea why I am not a big drinker. I just go through the day without thinking to drink. I know this is unheard of for most people, but getting about 30-40 oz a day is a max for me and I am NOT 80 pounds [:0] so I need to get conscious to drink more.
    Thanks again for the post!

I know I can, I know I can!
    Angie B

Tina71
    11-12-2005, 02:26 PM
    Thanks Lani! What a great thread! And so much good info. I am not one to get real sore when I workout. HUGS!

Tina

Cook
    11-12-2005, 02:45 PM
    Lani~

Thanks for the great info. I'm a relatively new Tapper, and haven't gotten 'sore' much at all, only mildly conscious of having 'used' some muscles I hadn't used for awhile. Must say, this tends to make me want to work harder!!

AngieB, I'm not by nature a water drinker either. I actually have to set a timer to remind myself to keep drinking all day long. I find it especially hard to drink enough once winter sets in. Much easier during the summer to get my quota!

COOK

abzoeh
    11-12-2005, 03:41 PM
    Oh Lani, muoy bueno! So wise, so wonderful, so va-va-va-voom! [:X]

Just keep Tapping...just keep Tapping...

Ally

Kathy70
    11-12-2005, 04:24 PM
    Thanks Lani! Now I know I'm not a weirdo!

Kathy
    T-Tapp Trainer

kazy
    11-12-2005, 04:32 PM
    Can you imagine having Lani around daily to pick her brain about everything? Wouldn't that be awesome! Great information as usual. Thanks!

AnaLee

Lani
    11-12-2005, 04:47 PM
    I'm glad this is helpful information.

I'm an outside the box thinker when it comes to exercise AND eating....thank goodness I found Teresa's work to bring satisfaction to my quest! [^]

(Kath, I don't know about that weirdo thing though .)

Cheers!
    Lani

sandie6605
    11-12-2005, 04:58 PM
    I am glad Kona has gotten started on t-tapp! I was wondering if she had gotten her tapes and how she was doing!! I proudly recruited her![^] from another board when I was telling them about hoe downs and the carb reducing effect they have.

We first make our habits....then our habits make us.

konamom
    11-12-2005, 05:15 PM
    It was YOU???!!!??? I was thanking you on the Atkins board and can't believe you're here! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SUGGESTING THIS! I bow to your greatness
    Peace,
    Susan

penny nelson
    11-12-2005, 06:56 PM
    Ooooohhhhh! So THAT explains a lot. Now I'll quit my belly aching (no, my lat aching) and think of all the good being done. Thanks for the info!

Penny Nelson

Kathy70
    11-13-2005, 02:10 AM
    LOL, Lani! Okay maybe I can still be classified as a weirdo, but at least I know it's not because I'm not sore very often![ ][ ]

Actually, I'd like to make a point about T-Tapp being a great workout that you can do and build muscle/flexibility without having to get sore vs. traditional weight training.

I've been doing T-Tapp consistently now since August 2004 and during that time I can honestly say I hardly ever got muscle soreness and when I did it was very very mild (hardly worth reporting- except the day after Lani’s clinics). However, since I've been in school for my personal fitness trainer degree and doing lots of weight training I'm sore a lot. Weight training is designed to hypertrophy muscles and in doing so the goal is to push push push to the point of failure and really rip those babies up. T-Tapp doesn’t need to do that to reap the benefits of being healthy, fit, flexible and strong.

I've also noticed that my nice long, lean, flexible T-Tapp muscles are shortening and getting stiff and bulky. It's made me very aware of how T-Tapp builds long lean muscles as opposed to short bulky muscle.

T-Tapp incorporates much more flexibility than I first thought. It takes flexibility to do PBS, TTT, Lunges, Airplane stretch (after TTN), Lawnmowers and many more. I took for granted the fact that I could grasp my hands behind my back and straighten them in PBS because I'd been doing it so long I forgot there was a time I couldn't and now that my muscles are shortening from the weight training I'm reminded that it isn't easy.

I think it’s been a good experience for me to have opposing workouts targeting different muscle types to show me how much T-Tapp really does for my body.

It brings out the question, “If somehow you lost all of the benefits of T-Tapp (all your hard work) what would you miss?”

Kathy
    T-Tapp Trainer

sandie6605
    11-13-2005, 09:34 AM
    Your welcome Kona!!!! Isn't t-tapp great??

We first make our habits....then our habits make us.

Lani
    11-14-2005, 01:07 AM
    I'm glad that kona and sandie got to connect - what a treat!

As for the other - remember there is more meaning behind those stretches, holds, and pumps during T-Tapp than you might ever suspect!

Cheerily,
    Lani

Head T-Tapp Trainer

Sherry
    11-14-2005, 01:36 AM
    Lani,

I so agree with everything you say. For the first 4 years of T-Tapp, I stayed fairly sore but in a good sort of way. I've noticed this year that I am less sore and to be honest, I think it is because I work more on step-step, lift-lift, kick-kick ... and drink water. Of course, it seems I should type "drink water-water" just to get the right cadence but I'll worry about that next time.

I'm back from a fabulous weekend of horse-back riding. The only possible thing that could have been better would be for more normal cooler weather in central Texas. But other than that, it was perfect. So why does this matter? Because I am dying from muscle agony in the thighs. I can't go downstairs .... and I can't go upstairs. I'm stuck and in much need of rescue!

On a long ride, there is no opportunity to step, lift or kick. Sure, there might be a brief spell to escape the stirrups and stretch the legs but that is it. So all those waste products build up and they sure to hurt A LOT! We do have 1 or 2 water breaks but there is something about horseback riding and beer that go together. [} ] So, when I should be drinking a bottle of water, somehow I find a Heineken in my hand. I've not quite figured out how that happens! [:0]

Sherry

Lani
    11-14-2005, 01:41 AM
    Sherry,

Ouch! But it sounds like you had fun! I know what you mean about beer; it goes really well with hot beaches in Mexico too! [ ]

I believe - and I keep pressing this point to my classes - that there is far more to this lymph stuff we have in T-Tapp than we ever imagined when it comes to creating better bodies, and better shaped bodies. Thanks for the great illustration of what happens without the release!

Giddyup!
    Lani

Sherry
    11-14-2005, 01:51 AM
    Giddyup? Ha!

At almost 11 pm CST after a very long day, I plan on GiddyDOWN. And soon!

I can just imagine getting out of bed Monday morning after not enough lymph pumping. Most certainly, we get some pumping on horseback but it is nothing like we get during a T-Tapp workout.

::sigh::

If I wasn't so tired, I'd opt for a short workout,right now, just so I wouldn't feel so sore tomorrow. But, bedtime it is and I plan to complain ROYALLY tomorrow and to anyone who will listen! [^]

Sherry

sostinkinhappy
    11-30-2005, 02:31 PM
    Lani--

Great post! I just spent time this morning explaining to a client (**waving to Susan!**) about this exact topic! Your posts are always so good--thanks for sharing this great info.

Melynda Fitt

walkingal
    08-13-2011, 01:30 PM
    Asking for my mom:
    If a person has not had ANY muscle soreness since starting TT (3 months) and has not lost inches in a long time, say 2 months, would that be an indication of not activating muscles enough?

ayj67
    08-13-2011, 02:51 PM
    Originally posted by walkingal View Post
    Asking for my mom:
    If a person has not had ANY muscle soreness since starting TT (3 months) and has not lost inches in a long time, say 2 months, would that be an indication of not activating muscles enough?
    Yes and No for the first, but definitely yes for the second. If she does all the lift lift, tap tap, shake shake and also walk a lot, a lot of the lactic acids is releases and got pump out and she will not have the 4 day cannot walk around muscle burn. She still be aware of some muscle soreness the next morning. The 2 months no loss (outside of hormonal issue, nurtional deficiency, dehydration, lack of sleep, too much stress), likely she is not doing good forms and not activating right.

walkingal
    08-13-2011, 03:39 PM
    thanks Ayj! that was a big help!

Comment

Working...
    X