Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flaxseed, Fish Oil, + (for imready2 and anyone!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaxseed, Fish Oil, + (for imready2 and anyone!)

Originally posted by Lani 05-31-2003, 04:22 PM

In response to Suzy’s (imready2change) questions regarding flax oil, I’ve condensed some information from that which I presented in the Nutritional Excellence section at my NT Forums; hope that you find this helpful! There have been several threads regarding flax, fish oils, and cholesterol and I wanted to put this somewhere where everyone interested might see it.

First, flaxseed is rich in lignans, which is a type of fiber (NOT present in the extracted oil) that is associated with a reduced risk of breast cancer (and prostate); it also provides one with the essential omega 3 fatty acid (ALA) essential for good health and disease prevention. You also get some iron, zinc, calcium, protein, magnesium and potassium, V-E and folate. It has also been indicated in generating improvement of the ratio of “bad” to “good” cholesterol (to put it simply).

To get the omega-3 fatty acids (alpha-linolenic acid) inside the seeds, you need to grind them up (in a blender, food processor, or coffee grinder) before eating them. The recommended amount is about one tablespoon of ground flaxseed per day.

The problem with omega-3 fats is that they are highly unstable. They are protected inside the whole seeds, but after they are ground and exposed to light, heat (above 120 degrees Fahrenheit), or air, they rapidly degrade and become rancid. Rancid omega-3 fats cause all kinds of trouble and are carcinogenic. Therefore you need to be careful when grinding the seeds, because grinding generates a lot of heat. Putting the seeds in the freezer for at least a few hours before you grind them, and then grind them only long enough to break up the seeds (not into a fine powder) is advised; then put the ground flaxseed back in the freezer immediately. The ground seeds should last about a month in the freezer, but if you notice a change in taste or a "fishy" odor, they have started to go rancid and should be thrown out.

Flaxseed oil, on the other hand, is really pure fat, without all the other goodies for the most part; new evidence suggests that polyunsaturated fatty acids may not only suppress the immune system but increase the growth rate of certain cancers/abnormalities.
    The taking flaxseed oil itself, in my book, is not recommended because (1) it contains none of the valuable fiber, lignans, and other nutrients found in the whole seeds, and (2) the oil goes rancid very rapidly. Even when fresh, excessive omega-3 fats suppress the immune system and are highly unstable, "generating significant oxidative damage". Flaxseed oil is associated with sharply higher risk of prostate cancer in men, but flax seeds are not. In any event, a tablespoon of pure oil is too much, as a tablespoon of flax seeds contain only about a teaspoon of oil.

I would also not recommend the taking of fish oils, and I'll tell you why. Years, decades even, of toxic and sewage waste into our oceans and waterways have been showing up in alarming amounts in our fish populations. And toxic substances are most concentrated in: you guessed it, the fat! High levels of mercury are also found in fish oils.

Food 4 thought!
    ~Lani

adarix
    08-11-2005, 07:15 AM
    This is an older thread that I found while searching for data on 'fish oil' for a friend of mine!

Lots of data in this one...I printed it out so that I can perhaps absorb more of it.

It really got me thinking that perhaps I should try the ground flax seeds. I emailed Lauren at the office to see what T's take is on it. I haven't heard back, but it may be awhile since T is so busy.

Anyway...how many of y'all are using ground flax seeds and what type of coffee grinder do you recommend? (I was thinking of buying a cheap one since I'd have no other use for it). Also, can you simply 'eat' the ground flax seeds or is it to gross? (I can swallow a tablespoon of oil so I hope I could handle this one! LOL!).

Something bugs me about drinking oil. (I *think* its good for me, so I've been *trying* to take it as often as I can - I'm talking about Udo's oil - which isn't cheap, BTW!)

So....if I can be convinced that ground flax seeds will provide me the benefits of Udo's oil, I may just convert! LOL!

Take care and happy Ttapping!

Diane Adamick
    Ttapp Trainer-In-Training
    Michigan

yogi
    08-11-2005, 10:40 AM
    Thankyou to everyone for all the great info so far!
    But now I'm even more confused. So, fish oil is not good, ground flax is best - but cooked or not?? And what about coconut oil or macadamia nut oil? I use those all the time.

And here's a quote from www.knowthecause.com
    quote:there are definately some oils that are better than others. But the harsh chemistry truth is that once any oil is denatured by cooking, all the health benefits of all the oils is destroyed, and at a high enough heat, the oil actually becomes carcinogenic! (learned that one ALL the way back in grade 13 Biology!)

You can stop an oil form becoming carcinogenic with cooking if low heat is used & fresh garlic is in with it, but it still doesn't offer any nutrients to the body.

But the whole nutrient of oil thing : omega 3's & omega 6's - all destroyed in cooking. So at this point you'd just have to look at other factors:

organic or pesticide / hormone laden?
    saturated or unsaturated?
    mycotoxin rich (peanut oil) or not?

It you're just thinking flavour, olive oil is the most often used. Again, if you're going to cook with it, don't waste your money buying virgin or extra virgin, because those health benefits are zip after adding heat. (so many people use the cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil for baking - that is VERY expensive stuff to waste on cooking! Much less expensive non-cold pressed, non-virgin for baking - would make more sense.)
    Anyone heard of this?
    Sorry for all the questions, but from reading this thread it seems I have more now than ever.

Oh, and has anyone heard good or bad info on virgin palm oil?
    http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/red_palm_oil.htm

gr8fisch
    08-11-2005, 12:26 PM
    I use organic coconut oil for stirfry, skincare, smoothies... I use the canned milk for cereal... Olive oil works, those are the two I use. A Cuisineart grinder is good for herbs, seeds. I use the ground flaxmeal that is in the healthy section at Kroger's when being lazy & keep it in the fridge. I[ve never had problems with it going bad. Maybe a tsp at a time as the oil for me is better in capsule form. Have recently doubled up on fish oil & flax/borage (using Anne Louise Gittleman's formula til I run out, then will try either Udo's or Don Lemmon's oils).

keep movin'..the path shows up behind you...

KrazyDaisy
    08-11-2005, 01:06 PM
    Could you just put some coconut oil is a little bit of water and drink it like that? If so how much coconut oil should you be taking per day? I have read that it is so good for you...but I don't like the taste cooking with it...but I could definitely take it with water everyday...

DOes coconut oil actually come as a liquid? I have only seen it as a solid? Thank you!!

*Daisy*

HF
    08-11-2005, 05:35 PM
    quote:Originally posted by yogi

Thankyou to everyone for all the great info so far!
    But now I'm even more confused. So, fish oil is not good, ground flax is best - but cooked or not?? And what about coconut oil or macadamia nut oil? I use those all the time.

Oh, and has anyone heard good or bad info on virgin palm oil?
    http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/red_palm_oil.htm
    Hi Yogi,

Virgin palm oil is high in beta carotene and lauric acid, according to M.E. Enig, Ph.D., author of "Know Your Fats." And coconut oil, extra-virgin OR expeller-pressed, has even MORE lauric acid!

Lauric acid is anti-viral, anti-microbial, and anti-fungal; people with HIV are big consumers of coconut oil for this reason - there's even a link to HIV websites onwww.lauric.org. So if you want to avoid the common cold, keep using your coconut oil!

You can also drink coconut milk (pour a can of coconut milk into a big glass and add water, mix, and drink) to give you your day's worth of coconut oil (3-3 1/2 TBSP). Coconut oil is solid at "room temperature" (depending on the room!) because it is a saturated fat. However, we need about 50% of our fats to be saturated - it helps with uptake of the Omega-3 fatty acids! So there again is a good purpose for saturated fats. (Did you know the fat around heart and kidneys is saturated? Saturated fats are incredibly stable.)

Regarding fish oil - it's only bad if it's not pharmaceutical-grade! Lani is right, unfortunately our oceans have been polluted and this has scuzzed out the fish, too. But as Modern Technology is a doubled-edged sword, it comes to the rescue in the form of molecular distillation - filtering one molecule at a time. If your fish oil is molecularly distilled, then you're safe! (I take fish oil that DOUBLE molecularly-distilled to ensure the mercury's out. If you're interested, you may e-mail me.)

Flax oil is good too, but one needs to take approximately 3x as much fish oil for the same Omega-3 effect, and even then it rarely gives the needed EPA and DHA that is already there in fish oils. It is a wonderful oil to blend into salad dressings - any way you can keep it cold. And again, Lani is right - it is incredibly unstable so it has to be kept cold at all times - no cooking with it.

Ground flax seeds are excellent, especially since the fiber helps the bowels (see the "heat" in the restroom, in posts above). There is different kinds of flax seeds, golden and brown (maybe others), so there could be a flavor difference. You can get both kinds ground at the HFS. Please keep them in the freezer or at least the fridge, like the oil. These can be baked in muffins like bran muffins or used on cereal or smoothies. We would have to ask Lani if she includes ground flax seeds in her blended salads. I would also like to know other ways to sneak them in.

Regarding cooking with Omega-3 and -6 oils - don't! They are heat-sensitive, and like your quote, are broken down and create free oxygen radicals when they're given heat (Omega-3) or higher heat (Omega-3). This is the reason it's not a great idea to do any stir-fries with safflower, sunflower, corn, etc. oils. I've read that it's safe to bake with them because the internal temps of muffins or whatever doesn't get as high as the oven temp and protects the oils.

For this reason we should cook with saturated fats (coconut oil, butter) or monosaturated fats (olive, peanut oil). The saturated fats are the least subject to break down over higher heat, safe enough to fry, according to www.omeganutrition.com. Personally, I still would use the extra-virgin olive oil for cooking because of its flavor; if it's not terminally heated, I don't think it's really killing all its nutrients.

If you have a chance, pick up or get from the library "Know Your Fats"; you can also surf www.westonaprice.org for excellent infor

Comment

yogi
      08-11-2005, 06:21 PM
      WOW Helena, that helps alot! And thanks for the links too.

adarix
      08-12-2005, 06:36 AM
      Hi Helena! Thanks for the data! Boy, you sure know your stuff!

Well, I went ahead and bought a coffee grinder ($15 at Kohls on sale) and I am off to the health food store today for some fresh flax seeds! Ok, no one really answered my question about taking it by the spoonful and eating it, but I think I will try it and report back on whether I found it too gross or not! LOL! Other than that, I really don't have a convenient, consistent way to injest it!

I may stick with both the Udo's and ground flax seed, as others seem to be benefiting from both!

Again, thanks to everyone for sharing what they know...and to those who are really confused, hey I'm right there with you! LOL!

Take care...

Diane Adamick
      Michigan

HF
      08-12-2005, 03:07 PM
      We learn from each other.

Here is a completely different use for flax seeds: soak in a little water and soon there will be a gel. My mother says they set their hair with it when she was young in Peru! (They also boiled beef hooves to make their gelatin, but that's another story!)[ ]

Helena

adarix
      08-13-2005, 10:28 AM
      Ok, I did it...I bought the flaxseeds and ground them up! (I have the dark ones; I don't really know the difference between the dark and the lighter ones - I *think* the lighter colored ones have a milder flavor? Any other differences that I should be aware of??)

That wasn't so bad! Since I was having a salad last night, I sprinkled the ground seeds into it. It reminded me of wheat germ! I guess I could eat it by the tablespoon or stir it in some water if I have nothing else to put it in when I eat it.

Also, since it was a bit messy, I do plan on grinding up enough to last a week to a month (per Lani's instructions).

I've been reading up on the benefits of flaxseeds, and I must say I am impressed with those little seeds! They sure seem to provide alot of benefits at a very reasonable price! (A person could go broke trying to keep up on required supplementation!) I also like the idea that this is whole food.

I'll keep up with this and continue with Udo's for ahwile.

(Sorry, I feel like I'm writing a diary to myself here! I just thouhgt I'd share my experience since it may help answer some questions for other 'flaxseed virgins' out there! LOL!)

Thanks again for all this input! Good stuff and much appreciated!

Diane Adamick
      Michigan

adarix
      08-13-2005, 10:29 AM
      Hi Helena!

Hair gel? Do you use it or does your mom still use it?

Thanks again for your help...

Take care and happy Ttapping!

Diane Adamick
      Michigan

HF
      08-13-2005, 02:44 PM
      I tried it on my baby (now 13 1/2) when she was little. Now that my mother is a full-on gringa, she shops at Wal-Mart and buys her hair stuff there!

Helena

yogi
      08-13-2005, 07:00 PM
      quote:Originally posted by HF

Here is a completely different use for flax seeds: soak in a little water and soon there will be a gel. My mother says they set their hair with it when she was young in Peru! (They also boiled beef hooves to make their gelatin, but that's another story!)[ ]

Helena
      And you can also use it as an egg substitute... http://www.recipezaar.com/104832

I thought I read the darker flax seeds were better. Anyone??

tappinworks
      04-03-2010, 10:23 AM
      I take omega 3 oil most days. And I use coconut oil EVERY day. I count the calories of it in my daily totals. I am convinced that it has helped with my weight/fat loss. In addition to T-tapp, of course.

Jen82
      04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
      That same gel Helena's mother used in her hair can be used as an amazing egg substitute in recipes. Works great for people with egg allergies. I made my Gavin his first birthday cake using flax "eggs".

tappinworks
      04-19-2010, 06:06 PM
      I use coconut oil in coffee sometimes; it melts right in (1 tsp. 40 cal). I also use it on whole grain toast in place of butter (again, only 1 tsp.). We sometimes use it to fry eggs (1 tsp.). I occasionally use it in my hair when it gets extra brittle. I also sometimes use it on my skin, but just a little, and only in the really dry spots. For cosmetic uses, I use the cheapo stuff. For consumption, I use the pure extra virgin variety. I notice I don't have as many cravings for sugar when I take it, and I calculate it in my daily calorie totals.

Blissful
      04-19-2010, 07:33 PM
      Originally posted by HF View Post

Here is a completely different use for flax seeds: soak in a little water and soon there will be a gel. My mother says they set their hair with it when she was young in Peru! ]

Helena
      cool! I use a hair product from Jessicurl and flax seeds are the main ingredient in their Rockin' Ringlets styling potion

Lucy

Comment

Working...
      X