Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoe Downs for Stress Eating

Originally posted by Annette 01-31-2006, 08:07 PM

Courtney, your comment in the ML accountability thread prompted me to post this.

I never considered myself to be a stress eater, but when I started following ML, I realized I was a stress eater. This is one thing I’ve mention often about this WOE, it really teaches you a lot about yourself. I realized I was a stress eater because I was not eating between meals, and doing great with it, then one day, boom, I was searching for chocolate. I didn’t give in, but was kinda upset with myself for having the desire, since I WASN’T hungry, I just wanted it. But why? I remembered reading about this in the ML book, but it didn’t sink in with my first read.

What I found was A PERFECT OPPORTUNITY FOR HOE DOWNS!!! Never thought of doing HD’s “before” eating……always thought of them as a way to burn off what I’ve eaten! Perhaps others have, but up until this point, I did not.

The ML book explains the reason why a person stress eats, and I now realize that this person had been me in the past, but the constant snacking I had done prior to following the no snacking guidelines, disguised my stress eating habit. Now that I wasn’t eating between meals, what could I do with this stress eating desire?

Richards book, (in part) pg 160: Stress causes a rise in blood sugar; this is a hyperglycemic state. This means there is a higher than normal amount of blood sugar so that a person can either run away or go into battle….Hyperglycemia causes the body to run hot…..one way to cool off a hot hyperglycemic reaction is to eat food. The higher the concentration of the calories, the faster the stress reaction will cool off….The reason this works is because eating food causes a rise in insulin…..The fastest way to raise insulin is to eat fats and carbohydrates in combination (aka chocolate)….The rise in insulin causes a depression of glucagons, turning off the liver’s ability to make excess sugar…this settles down the hyperglycemic response to stress sometimes in a matter of minutes…..when stress is more intense or has gone on for a long time and the hyperglycemia is more sever, then dense fatty/salty junk foods sound better than sweets….This is why people stress eat….Regular stress eating is a fast track to Leptin, Insulin, and Adrenaline resistance. Pg 161 Find alternatives to stress eating…do something physically active, go for a walk…jumping jacks….this has the effect of putting the high blood sugar to use, at which point the cravings for food will cease…..

What a perfect tool we have in our hands to combat stress eating…HOE DOWNS! What I had always thought of as a move for damage control, is also a move to prevent the onset of damage! Interesting, wouldn’t you agree?

For me, finding the reason behind an action, helps to understand the consequences, or ways to prevent the consequences.

So, in essence, we don’t HAVE to be stress eaters, not with the power of Hoe Downs!

Give ‘em a whirl next time stress starts to steer you down the eating path and see what transpires!

Annette
    T-Tapp Trainer, Iowa

chercher1
    01-31-2006, 08:17 PM
    WOW Annette!!

Thanks for posting this. I love how you turned "stress eating on a dime" and gave a fresh perspective on how to look at it and how to combat it!! With the help of Richards, of course!

Very interesting and the info on the body's response to stress was very timely for me!

Cheryl Dodd

Mrs P

01-31-2006, 08:21 PM
    Annette - You are truely a brilliant and beautiful lady! Thanks for the HD idea....d'oh! Have to admit it never crossed my mind. No wonder today I've been craving crap - been easy not to snack, but I want to eat all junk today. NOT a good idea....so I'm off to HD!

[:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X] Thanks, sweetie!

Courtney

HF

01-31-2006, 08:28 PM
    Thanks Annette!

I haven't really been able to sink my teeth in my ML book - the writing style makes it hard to follow - but I'm grateful for how you break things down for us. Right now I'm reading "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" and a cookbook on coconut flour, but after those ones I'm going to make it a point to tackle that ML book. (And I still think he owes you a commission.)

Helena

Vida

01-31-2006, 09:48 PM
    Thanks so much Annette!

I've only been doing ML for a very short period of time but it did help to immediately notice that I did suffer from stress eating as well. I have a very demanding & frustrating job and I would come home nothing would make me feel better than some salty/fatty/crunchy snack (chips or something along that line)

When I began ML and was just eating the 3 meals I became acutely aware of the intense pull when I got home. So thank you for making the link that this is also a perfect time to do HD's - brilliant!
    Vida

sostinkinhappy

02-01-2006, 01:11 AM
    Wow! Thanks Annette! I have been so busy these past few days trying to figure out my new job that I haven't been able to be on the boards as much as I would like. Thanks for giving me the heads up--this is definitely a post I will file away in my TTapp folder!

Melynda Fitt

adarix

02-01-2006, 06:40 AM
    Hi Annette!

Thanks for keeping us updated on your ML journey! I, too, have the book but have not gotten through the first part yet...not a lot of free time these days to read...

Anyway, you (in combination with the author), make a great and interesting point. I am definitely a stress eater! I go for chocolate often at work when my stress levels seem out of control! Eating chocolate when I'm stressed does make me feel good, and now I see why. (The 'good' feeling is followed up with some 'bad' feelings though! Can you say 'crash and burn'? LOL!)

I LOVE the idea of replacing my chocolate addiction with HD's! I, too, never thought about doing those in place of my chocolate binges! I'll try it next time (which will likely be some time today!)

BTW, I love chocolate SO much, that I am known as CW at work (CW=Chocolate Whore! LOL!) They all say I'd 'ho' for chocolate! Funny girls I work with...

Thanks again for sharing and happy Ttapping!

Diane Adamick

JeanM

02-01-2006, 08:48 AM
    Annette, I have not read ML and have just heard bits and pieces of it. I snack a lot (well, used to, still do, but not as much as I have been known to.), but I never considered it to be related to stress, as I really am not a stressed out person! At least, I don't think I am. Anyway, I read your post and thought well, what the heck, stress or not, the next time I have an overwhelming urge to eat when I'm not hungry, I'll do hoedowns. Well, that occurred last night, around 9:00. I was on my way to the kitchen, when I thought, ok, I'll try Annette's cure. Now, I did the hoedowns and I did not get a snack. I can't say I know why I didn't snack - could be the hoedowns gave me something to do and more time to really decide I did not need to eat. Maybe it took away my desire, I'm not sure, I think I'll have to test it out some more before I know. But, at any rate, I'm excited to have this information and am praying it works the way the author says it does! It needs to work that way for me, because if it's just a psychological thing with me, then this won't last, but if it truly does change something with our systems to stop the food cravings, then hallelujah and Praise God, an answer at last!!!!

Did I say, thanks, Annette?????

Jean

mbecker

02-01-2006, 01:01 PM
    Annette,

Thanks for sharing this. I do find when I get upset I can feel my blood sugar rising (I'm hypoglycemic, so more conscious/aware of blood sugar issues). I will have to try this next time I am stressing!

Marie

sh99x

02-01-2006, 01:35 PM
    Annette,

Do you think sit down hoe downs help? Of course they won't hurt, but I have problems getting in true hoe downs at work (bathroom stalls too small, no privacy, tight skirts, etc.).

Sarah

Annette66

02-01-2006, 08:49 PM
    Isn't it funny? When we finally find the links? What we often feel are weakness are just the body's way of correcting itself. This was such an AH HA moment for me.

Too funny Diane, you'll have to switch your HO status for Hoe Downs!!!

Sarah, try giving the Sit Down Version a shot, I'd be willing to bet it would work for you.

Okay you guys, now the test......put it into action and report your findings! It's worked for me...and let me tell you, I was completely amazed.

Annette

abzoeh

02-01-2006, 08:50 PM
    What an awesome idea! Why wait until after the meal to HD? HD in lieu of snacking. Love it! Love it!

Oh rarrr Annette. Just rarrrrr! [:X]

Just keep Tapping...just keep Tapping...

Ally

mbecker
    02-02-2006, 09:36 AM
    I did HD's this morning for energy, but it helped me not be so hungry too, so it did help!

Marie

Tracey

02-15-2006, 12:03 AM
    How do you do sit down hoe downs? what about the floor hoe downs are they effective? And I thought JOg Rocks were also good.

Tracey

mindymp

02-15-2006, 06:35 PM
    Annette,
    All I can say is WOW! Another post I am going to print out and paste to my diabetic husband's forhead.
    Thanks so much for this.
    Malinda

jenjen

03-21-2006, 05:55 PM
    What's "ML"[?]

Lori French

03-21-2006, 06:23 PM
    Mastering Leptin. A way of eating based on the book.
    https://forum.t-tapp.com/forum/main-...rules-thread-2

Lori

BYStevens
    03-22-2006, 08:57 PM
    When I started the ML WOE a couple of weeks ago. I would get hungry about 3.5 hours after my meal. I've tried to adjust to eat more proteins during my meals. However, for a couple of days, when that hungry feeling crept in, I did a set of HD thinking that maybe it would kick the liver in to produce the sugar I needed to get through the next couple of hours. It seemed to help and now I'm finding it easier and easier to go the 5 hours between meals. I feel very "liberated" doing this, as I don't focus on eating all day long. It's worked well with the Weight Watchers. In the couple of weeks since I've been on both, I've lost 4.2 pounds. I'm trying to come to grips that this is progress (I'm an all or nothing kind of person). I'm finding also that I'm going longer on less food at each meal. Before, I would max out my points (and push more) in order to make it through. Now, I'm finding that the time flys by and I've not even eaten all my points that I'd reserved for each meal. Hopefully, this will continue, since on weight watchers, when you lose, your points go down. Unless you exercise!

Becki
    Last edited by Forum Angel; 04-16-2016, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X