Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skipping on the Basics!

Originally posted by Annette 02-14-2006, 09:52 PM

In the last T-Tapp Talk, a caller commented that she had "done a bad thing" and skipped to a Tempo Tape sooner than she should have, which caused her to have a few issues resulting in not so good form.

With the callers comment, along with various posts here and there off and on, I wanted to comment on just how important the T-Tapp Basics really are...and more to the point Intructionals and Beginner Rehab are your very best friend and source of information. Honestly, the Instructional and Beginner Rehab are ALL YOU EVER really need to see results with T-Tapp.

Yes - there are so many fabulous T-Tapp Tapes that we want to get to them AS FAST AS WE CAN!!!! BUT.......please proceed with caution. Too much of a good thing too fast (esp with T-Tapp) is often not the best choice of action.

When I first starting Tapping WAY BACK WHEN, the only tape available was the instructionals. JUST THE INSTRUCTIONALS! There wasn't even a Beginner Rehab tape that went through the workout w/o stopping and starting. So.....I learned T-Tapp inside and out with just the instructionals. I even think there was a time when I could mimic every word Teresa said VERBATIM (sp?)! Eventually, I tired of the length of instructionals, so I memorized each movement, one by one with the use of the instructional tape. I learned what to do on the movements and what not to do, inside and out.

When Teresa started to introduce new tapes w/o instructionals I was ELATED! And often thought how much easier this would have been for me early on..without the LONG instructionals...to have a T-Tapp Tape I could have just popped in and GO! A thought I eventually realized was WRONG.

I know me....and I know that I would have rushed through the instructionals and get to the "good stuff" so to speak, I would have moved on to advanced tapes, advanced moves long before I was ready...BUT would I have been better off? No, becuase I wouldn't have learned the basics so thoroughly by rushing through them. So what I once thought to be a disadvantage, turned out instead, to be a HUGE advantage. Learning the basics.

So before you think about your next T-Tapp Tape purchase....stop and ask yourself how comfortable you are with the basics...and be honest! Your results will be all the better for it.

I'd say 85% of the time, the T-Tapp workout I do, is Beginner Rehab, though now being advanced, I do add advanced tweaks to the movements. There are so many fabulous T-Tapp workouts,and I highly recommend each one of them...EVENTUALLY.... but you simply can't skimp on the basics.

Instructionals and Beginner Rehab - the good stuff!

Annette
    T-Tapp Trainer, Iowa

gr8fisch
    02-15-2006, 11:10 AM
    Great post Annette... I go back to the More series for the same reason... I can keep up & get results fast. There are a few tapes I haven't cracked the plastic on... in the almost 2 years I've had them... so your reminder is spot on. Even though I have a lot memorized, more by actually doing the moves than mentally going down a checklist, I find Kirsten's monthly classes refine the basics & make it a bit easier to apply tips & tweaks throughout the month in between sessions. I know I've made progress - I want more than a basics class to fine-tune other moves that we don't often get to. But... basics are good, no question in my mind that repetition is the mother of skill... & a strong foundation is where we all need to start from. Esp. during challenges in life, interruptions, illness, etc.

sahabo
    02-15-2006, 11:29 AM
    Thanks for the great post Annette!! I LOVE Beg/Reb...it's by far my faorite. But I haven't gone back to the instructionals since I started tapping 4 months ago. It's getting close to BC time again for me...maybe I'll go back to those instructional tapes!

Heidi

Cynamin
    02-15-2006, 12:08 PM
    This is sooo true. When I got to B/R I grew tired of having to FF through breaks and talking so I could get the workout done. I went to Intermediate too quickly and my progress slowed to almost a crawl. Once I went back to a slower workout, the results were incredible!

sooztunes2
    02-15-2006, 02:02 PM
    Thanks for that affirmation, Annette. I've bought part 2 to do after BWO+, but I haven't even started that. I ordered MORE, and I think that's more my speed at this time. I decided to be very gentle with myself, and not push to the part 2 until I feel very strong & confident in doing BWO+. Also, with setbacks due to illness the past few weeks, I'm now doing only PBS morning & evening until my stamina returns. It's helping a lot, though - that lymph drainage stuff & neurokinet flow really works!

Sooz
    Dallas, TX

Remily
    02-15-2006, 06:08 PM
    if i ama complete beginner and trying to decide which program to bbuy - I have 40+ pounds to lose ( 4 sizes) and have never tried tapping. Is it better to get the original instr. 1 ,2 and Beg/rehab package or the MORE pacakge?

RoundTuit
    02-15-2006, 06:15 PM
    I think it depends on your activity level in general and in the past. I think you could go for the Total workout with the Instr. #1 & #2 if you are used to moderate exercise. If exercising has never been your thing or if there are other knee issues, etc. then go for the More set. I like the More tapes, but I think the Total workout can grow with you longer.... no body flame me for that!

Kim

VeggieGirl
    02-15-2006, 10:08 PM
    It's so typical of human nature we want to run when we just learned how to walk. I think it is because we feel like we are "missing out on something". Thank you for the reminder and reinforcement that to go slow and improve form is so important to inch loss!

Jean

lund1
    02-16-2006, 01:41 AM
    Remily,
    Do you have any health problems or physical limitations at this time, ie:knee issues or heart or auto immune problems? If you have anything like this or haven't done any type of exercise for a while,or up there a little in the #'s for candles on the b-day cake(LOL!! I'm fifty and think it's good for me!) I would recommend the More Tapes. They are a great set of exercises that get you stretched and motivated and also encourage you in your journey of overall great health with the fringe benefit of inch loss.
    When we were at the Saftey Harbor retreat, T had us doing the broom stretches for the "W's" and that was NO piece of cake!!!

So I personally think the More tapes are great for starting in and keeping me motivated!!

Sheryl

Lnanaa
    02-24-2006, 10:37 AM
    I am curious if the free exercises on the T-Tapp website are consider basics?

I am trying the abs workout to see if I get any results before I purchase the DVDs.

I do see a lot of positive results from others on this forum, but I just like to see if it's something I will stick to it myself.

Thanks,
    Lauren

brngckn
    03-01-2006, 10:16 AM
    Lauren-

I would consider ELEMENTS of the free exercise to be the basics - bent knees, tucked tail, knees out, shoulders in alignment with hips, rips up, etc.

Kirsten, the Travelin' T-Tapp Trainer from Texas

Lori French
    04-28-2006, 08:55 AM
    Instructionals are aweome for inch loss. Slow and steady is *painfully* effective </u> [ ]

Lori

slpcowgal72
    08-17-2006, 08:05 PM
    This is a post that I think I will print out and put in a prominent place. Thank you, Annette! I just moved into the BWO+ (without instruction) but I think I'm going to alternate between instructional #1 and BWO+ for awhile in addition to beginning to work on instructional #2. I like the extra time of the instructionals- makes me hold form longer while Teresa is explaining and I need the extra reminders as well.

Tammy

Annette66
    08-17-2006, 09:04 PM
    Good plan to alternate the 2 Tammy. You are right on track to Tapping with results!

Honestly when working with clients, those that are willing to put the time in with the instructionals are those who see results the quickest. Slow and steady wins the race!

Annette

Comment

melissajr
      01-21-2008, 09:17 PM
      I am glad I ran past this today because I did a naughty and after only six months of Tapping was trying a Tempo Arms and failing miserably. I am going to go back to the Instructionals #1 and #2.

How many calories in humble pie?

Melissa

Racing Poodle
      01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
      OMG, I am always amazed on how this forum can shake it up for me, and how a single post can seem like it was meant for ME!

Kirsten, so funny you would bump this up. In my Tight Club workout, I'm to do the Instructionals 1 & 2 the first week. I have to admit I was thinking, now WHY do I have to go back and do those AGAIN?!! But I've committed, and decided to trust 'you who know'. This is exactly the post I needed to see to accept the reasoning I've been hearing in the back of my head that I was refusing to embrace!

Once again, I do not feel alone in trying to make this journey toward better health as simple and effective as possible.

(I will never again work out 3 hours a day, 6 days a week.)

THANKS!!

bogartlovesme
      01-06-2009, 05:44 PM
      Well as a newbie to Tapping, this is soooo relieving to hear. I'm struggling to get thru the BWO+ after just 8 days. I do a bit more each day, but it seems like it will be FOREVER until I can try Instructional 2.

But now I see that it's OK to work slow and really learn the movements and to impress those positions in my muscle memory. In fact, I had gone on to BWO+ from Instructional 1 after the first 5 days....now I think I'll go back to Instructional 1 for the remainder of my BC and maybe for the rest of the month.

I also have to remind myself that the whole reason I looked into t-tapp was because I HATE exercise, and I knew I could do 15 minutes a day if I didn't have to jump around and lift weights. I think when the Instructional gets 'easy' for me, THEN I'll reward myself with the 15 minute BWO+.

Imarilynm
      01-09-2009, 11:49 AM
      Hi Annette, I know this post is as old as the hills, but I have a question. Which video is the beginner rehab? I've seen it referred to a couple times, but don't see it called that in the store. I have been t-tapping again for a short time. The first time around I don't think I really got the form down and saw little results. Now I am paying more attention to form, still not seeing much in the way of inch loss, but like the way it feels. Anyway, I am prowling the boards for information. I have the More dvd, is that it?? I thought someone said it was 55 minutes and I think mine is only about 15 for the More part of it. Actually I moved on to the Instructional 1 and now I am just starting the Instructional 2 and finding it to be very challenging expecially the lunges. But anyway, back to my question, what is the beginner/rehab video? Marilyn

monica213
      01-09-2009, 11:55 AM
      Beg/Rehab = Total Workout

Here is some information specific to the MORE workout from Teresa

T-Tapp More is similar, yet different from traditional T-Tapp Total Workout bootcamps. By this I mean, for initial bootcamp you will want to focus on doing the INSTRUCTIONAL T-TAPP MORE for 4 days in a row, then proceed to doing T-Tapp More Workout without instruction every other day for 3 - 4 weeks or to lose more than 2 clothing sizes you would continue every other day for 6 weeks...for more than 3 sizes continue EOD for 8 weeks.

As your strength/endurance increases you should try to include one other workout back to back so that your body experiences 40 minutes of T-Tapping.

On off days you should always start the day with the modified Primary Back Stretch followed by the T-Tapp Twist stretch.

Then for those who have the energy and the desire to lose more, you can add any workout of choice on off days (ie: T-Tapp Broom, Step Away or T-Tapp Chair...all of which are included in the T-Tapp More tapes/dvds)

Imarilynm
      01-09-2009, 12:48 PM
      Hi, and thanks for the quick reply. Now I understand. I think I have done what you are suggesting and after several months, have just started on the Instructional 2. Plan to stay with this and get some good results going. Marilyn

Thanks!

This is a great post! I have other workouts, but BWO+ and Beg/Rehab are the ones I feel most comfortable with, and every time I do them, I seem to learn a little more.

Piglet2u
      06-23-2009, 12:48 AM
      Love this advice! So often we get crazed with buying dvd's and then they "sit" for years. It is best to KISS and be consistent with what you have. There is no sense in buying dvd's that are too advanced for the level you are at. Besides, if you wait, sometimes there are better revisions available in the future. I purchased T-Tapp More when it first came out and it "sat" for a while. Now I see there is a newer edition with an additional feature of From My Home to Yours with Teresa doing the workout with you without anyone else. I wish I had that chapter on my More dvd. See what I mean?

Whatever you start out with, if it's a Core program, then keep with it until you master it. I think the only other dvd that everyone should start with is the skin brushing one. I'll be getting that one very soon!

All the best to everyone!

Piglet2u
      Never give up!

BlessedMama
      02-14-2011, 01:14 PM
      Time for a bump!

And if you don't read the whole thread, you should read this quote by Annette later in the thread:

"Honestly when working with clients, those that are willing to put the time in with the instructionals are those who see results the quickest. Slow and steady wins the race!"

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
      ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
      ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
      -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

AliceandBrian
      01-14-2012, 12:19 PM
      This was great to read! I've been doing the Instructional #1 for 2 weeks now, and I honestly don't see even moving to the BWO+ for a couple months!! So encouraging to think I'm on the right track! Thanks so much for bumping!

Comment

Working...
      X