Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning from the book

Originally posted by Annette 07-29-2006, 07:32 PM

The question has been asked a few times on this forum, as to whether a person can learn the moves from the book.

I had a clinic today, and 2 of the participants had been learning the moves from the book only. They did FABULOUS! They were well aware of the moves, being newbies, yes there was a learning curve, but the same as there is with the video.

So, if you have the book only, and are wondering about your ability to learn the moves from the book......based on these 2 individuals you should do fine.

This was my 1st time instructing individuals who have the book only, and I way amazed at their level of knowledge on performing the moves. Just goes to show the detail and clarity T provides is such a well written book.

Annette
    Senior T-Tapp Trainer, Iowa

Juniper
    07-29-2006, 11:19 PM
    Hey Annette -

GREAT post! I received a grant at work and purchased approximately 20 books with it. I'm starting an 8 week session in September (the summer is too busy for most people). I'm planning on having a weekly "class" to answer questions, provide form tips, etc. and track the people who use the book - should be lots of fun. After reading your post - I'm really pumped. I will definitely keep everyone posted as to how it goes.

Thanks for the tip!

Jenny Russell

Amandanorr
    07-29-2006, 11:57 PM
    I love the book, I want the video, but that is still months away for me.

I love to TAPP!

imported_beer
    07-30-2006, 04:28 PM
    I will vouch for this. I bought the book because I wished to understand the underlying principles and have my form down before I tried the videos. I believe it has helped tremendously. I do it, check the book for pointers, do it again, and though it takes longer, the fact that there is not a video out there waiting for you to unpause it, helps remove some of the pressure of "completing" the workout, if you catch my drift.

For those of you with patience, I guess the book/video are both equal, but for people like me, the book was invaluable to learn from - otherwise I'd have been T-tapping for days with wrong form because I'd have been so eager to get going.

kimberlyn
    07-30-2006, 10:20 PM
    This is good to know as I only have the book too. I got frustrated for awhile there because I was afraid my form would suffer and the learning curve was getting me down, but I've been using mirrors and I keep rechecking the pictures and advice from the forum, which have helped tremendously. I would so love to have a session with a trainer.
    I will be able to get the videos soon.
    Amanda for awhile there I was very discouraged thinking there was no way that I could learn the total workout from the book(PMS had reared its ugly head) then I saw your post which helped me to keep going. So thanks. Kimberlyn

Fionna
    08-16-2008, 06:20 PM
    I just got the book and I am having problems learning the moves. Can I expect to lose anything by using the dvd that came with it?

I have been reading and reading the book and most of the exercises just dont' make since. I have seen some of the videos online and I can do them, but not the book.

Any advice?

brngckn
    08-16-2008, 06:35 PM
    Fionna-

The DVD in the back of the book has some super moves on it, but it does not cover all that is included in Chapters 4 & 5.

Have you sent in your 30% off coupon from the back of the book? If not, do so and consider using toward a DVD set.

Kirsten, the Travelin' T-Tapp Trainer from Texas

Fionna

08-16-2008, 06:47 PM
    I have bought books before about losing weight and this is the hardest one I have ever seen about learning.

I am beginning to think I wasted my money on the book. I think I should have bought the dvds, but now I don't want to waste anymore money.

I did send in my coupon,but still it will be costly to buy the basic tapes.

I think maybe there should be a disclosure on the book that some may be better off buying the tapes.

I wish I could send mine back now.

soapluvr
    08-16-2008, 07:00 PM
    I had problems learning from the book as I knew I would but I bought it anyway just to have for reference. It's just way too darned frustrating for me to look at the pictures and read about the form and then set the book down and try to do the move. And then pick it up again for the next exercise and so on and so on. I know me. I would feel like I was wasting my time and not getting a very good workout. But that's just me.

I'm thinking about going back and reading the book now from front to back. I never did that before. I tried to workout from the book and got frustrated so I ordered the TWO.

Becky

NeonJungle
    08-16-2008, 08:58 PM
    Annette, thanks for this post; that is great to hear!

For me, I'm a better visual learner than a "text" learner, yet the book has been invaluable, as there are so many photographs of the most common form mistakes. I refer back to it often for that reason, and also to re-read what Teresa writes about why certain moves were created and how/why they work. So I have both, just because that's my workout learning style, if that makes sense.

Have you guys with the book only tried the video clips from the Try Before You Buy section? There are *several* moves there that you can watch, see how they are done, and then apply that as you do the workout from the book: http://www.ttapp.com/try/

There often are specials, too; daily specials, Deep Discount Tuesday specials, that offer good deals on the workouts. Fiona, you could start with one of the specials on Basic Workout Plus when it comes up, maybe!

Hope this helps!
    Harper

Comment

Hello Life
      08-16-2008, 11:12 PM
      quote:Originally posted by Fionna

I am beginning to think I wasted my money on the book. I think I should have bought the dvds, but now I don't want to waste anymore money.

I did send in my coupon,but still it will be costly to buy the basic tapes.

I think maybe there should be a disclosure on the book that some may be better off buying the tapes.

I wish I could send mine back now.
      I know this is after the fact, but if possible always preview books from your local library. I am on the cheap side, so I checked out the book first. I still haven't bought the book, but I plan on checking out the book again from the library. I started with the MORE workout. Two weeks after I bought it, it went on sale for $10 or $20 less...

There is a testimony on the home page of a woman who lost 2 or 3 dress sizes or lots of inches just doing Hoe Downs two or three times a day for six weeks, so you haven't wasted all of your money! Start using that disc to do the Hoe Downs.

Also right now, Fiona, you can purchase Women's Fitness magazine for $6.99 and the T-Tapp Core DVD is included for free (included in the bag w/magazine). Lots of individual moves that you could do and put together to create a workout.

Good luck!

Ellie

Fionna
      08-17-2008, 12:12 AM
      Thanks Elle for the great info. I was going to try the exercises on the free dvd that came with the book and if I see results I was going to buy the basic plan after that. Again Thanks for telling me about the hoe down and the fitness mag offer.

Hello Life
      08-17-2008, 12:46 AM
      You are welcome!

I meant to say that you can buy the Women' Fitness magazine from your local bookstore or Walmart (maybe also Target).

soapluvr
      08-17-2008, 09:24 AM
      I did BWO this morning from the book. I am glad I bought the videos. It went okay this morning but I've been tapping regularly since april and off and on since last october so most of the exercises I was familiar with. The thing that I didn't like about working out to the book was that it just doesn't flow very well. I had pages that wouldn't stay put and had to stop in the middle of an exercise to slap the page down and then YES even though I've been doing this for awhile I still don't remember all the sequences so I would have to turn the page to remember what was next and that would upset the flow of the workout. I like vids better but like I said I'm glad i have the book for reference.

Becky

Becky1
      01-03-2012, 08:11 AM
      Frustrated with book.

I'm having a lot of difficulty learning from the book. I have the Tapp-Core DVD and love it. So I got the book, but is is really hard to read and learn the moves. Any suggestions? If I order a DVD which one do you suggest? I'm looking for something with the exercises that are in the book. I found the plie' sequence on the try it before you by videos and that really helped a lot. The primary back stretch is just too many steps for me to remember. I understand the other Becky's frustration with the book. I feel like I wasted my money.

Gr8fulMommy
      01-03-2012, 08:45 AM
      Don't be discouraged, Becky. The book is a great introduction. It is also a wonderful reference manual. I have many DVDs, but I have also reread the book many times.

The Basic Workout Plus (BWO+) and the Total Workout (TWO) which includes the Basic Plus are the workouts described in the book.

If you tell us more about where you are, your fitness experience, how far you have to go, health issues, etc. the ladies here can recommend the best starting place for you.

Some have learned from the book only successfully. I'm not one of those. But the book is great resource that you will refer to over and over.

Also, there is 30% off coupon in the book for you to use toward the price of a workout DVD and the "Secret to a Flat Stomach" DVD at the end that more that make up the price of the book.

HTH!

goddess in training
      01-03-2012, 09:06 AM
      Becky - I completely understand your frustration with the book. I know some have had success working from just the book; I personally did not have the patience to learn the movements by inching myself through the books's detailed instructions.

I started out with the BWO/TWO package, thinking this was the appropriate place for me to start. MORE was described as a workout for people with more to lose or rehabilitation issues. Because neither of those applied to me, I did not even consider purchasing MORE.

I wish MORE was recommended as the first workout for EVERYONE! I purchased it a few months back and it is wonderful. It forces you to slow down and is very instructive on what you should be feeling if you are doing the move correctly. I personally have found it invaluable. Knowing what I know now, I would have purchased MORE the very first thing.

Hope this helps!

JoyfulMomof6
      01-03-2012, 09:07 AM
      I bought the book first, but I wasn't able to do it only from the book. I needed to see the DVD workout to understand it. Like Kara said, I do go to the book again and again for reference or just to be re-inspired!

There is a HUGE learning curve with TTapp. I've been Tapping a year now, but sometimes I still feel like I'm an absolute beginner! I'm sure many would say the same.

PBS is THE foundational move, so it is really important to learn. I didn't really understand it or do it correctly for a long time! Now it's one of my favorite moves and I do it daily when I get up.

You've come to the right place for motivation, help and support.

BlessedMama
      01-03-2012, 09:52 AM
      I started with just the book--not impossible, but it does take longer! I think I remember spending 1 1/2 hours on BWO+ the first time!

I think I got it down to 40 minutes or so before a df loaned me her BWO+ dvd--bless her!

I think what is hard is the "flow", as well as the wonderful form reminders Teresa gives in the dvd. BWO+/TWO is what is in the book, but like Susan, I am thinking everyone should start with MORE! Most of the moves are the same, a few tweaks for those with knee or health issues, but you get the muscle activation better, imho.

That said, if you're willing to slow things down with BWO+, doing maybe 4 reps at first and holding the plie squat vs. going up and down while you get the form, you can do a good job with it, too!

One last thing--I think everyone should reread at least the chapters with the moves, if not the whole book, at least once a year! Talk about a-HA'S!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
      ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
      ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
      -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

lsr1234
      09-16-2012, 05:24 PM
      I'm with you I am having a difficult time with the moves and posted 2 other times with no visible response. I asked about doing the Rehab t-tapp because of lumbar spondilyis and psoriasis and psoriaic arthritis. Can anyone please suggest the Rehab t-tapp? I tried the Basic for 3 days and I could not hardly move the next two days.

mamalove
      09-16-2012, 07:12 PM
      Hi Isr1234,

If you could not handle BWO+, then there is no way you can handle Beginner Rehab. The workout I would suggest you start out with is MORE https://store.t-tapp.com/collections...ab-program-dvd

HTH!
      Abbie
      Last edited by Forum Angel; 04-16-2016, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X