Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's your mindset??? Come check ...

Originally posted by Cheryl Dodd 10-23-2005, 10:17 PM

As many of you know – I study and train in martial arts in addition to t-tapping. Over the weekend, I was at a karate seminar and the theme of the class was “Shoshin o wasurezu”!

Loosely translated, this means “always remember to keep a Beginner’s mind.”

My chief karate instructor is always reminding us of this philosophy and uses the example of his teacher and the founder of our style of karate, who in his 70s rebuked someone for calling him “Master.” Even though he had been training in martial arts since the age of 7; he did not consider himself a “master” because every DAY that he trained was another opportunity for him to continue to learn and improve. Sixty plus years of training and studying karate and yet, he still felt he had more to learn. He added to this by stating “you can call me a Master when I have died because only then will I no longer be able to learn.”

This fascinates me - - how quickly in today’s society do we consider ourselves a master of something if we stick to it for a month or a year? How can I apply this to T-tapp? Let’s see if you can relate to any of the following:

How quickly did you rush through the instructionals in order to get on to the “real” workout because you didn’t understand that the instructionals were a workout in themselves?

How quickly did you rush through learning beginner/rehab workout because other people were talking about those Tempo or Maxi workouts and you wanted to do them too? i.e. Tempo Torso, Tempo Lower Body, Tempo Arms, Maxi Max 3 etc.

How often do you rush through the workout in order to “get it done” so you can check off your workout for the day rather than focusing on QUALITY over quantity?

Every time we work out is an opportunity for learning and growth – even when we are in the comfort of our own home. There are many items we can use to help at home - mirrors, video cameras, a t-tapp buddy, even doing the workout super slow at your own pace can increase your awareness.

When working out in a clinic or with a trainer – being willing to accept form tweaks and be open to the idea that your body alignment could be off even though it doesn’t feel off to you; being willing to accept that another pair of eyes are “seeing” something that you aren’t feeling or aware of. Yes, it is great that we can work out in the privacy of our own home with Teresa but there is something to be said when Teresa or a trainer can SEE you!

Teresa created this fabulous workout system for us that allows us to be free from working out 2 hours a day for 6 days of week. Teresa teaches us that LESS is MORE when you workout with a strong foundation. What is a strong foundation?
    A strong foundation is built soundly on the T-Tapp basics and principles including T-Tapp stance, KLT, butt tucked, chest out, full extension, full muscle fiber engagement, proper breathing, strong core, NBT etc. If you aren’t sure about some of these terms, feel free to search the forums for more information. So, how are your basics?

At my karate school, we emphasize that a person who carries the rank of “black belt” is proficient in the basics. It is not an end point but rather the beginning of serious study and learning of martial arts. It is an interesting cycle – beginning karate students want to learn the “advanced” forms and drills; whereas the black belt students understand the importance of strong basics and will return time and time again to focus on basics and let the advanced stuff take care of itself.

So, are you a MASTER? or are you a Beginner with a Beginner’s mind – always looking to improve and learn?

Cheryl Dodd
    T-Tapp Trainer, Ohio

gingerb
    10-23-2005, 11:18 PM
    Ahhhhhhhh, chercher is good, chercher is wise.

Love it, chica!

And oh so very true. There is always room for improvement in T-Tapp. Does that mean that you won't get good at it? Meh, no it does not. It means that form is ever evolving, and that you can always push yourself to do better. It's true that the better you get at it, the harder it is for you. You have more neuro-kinetic awareness, so you can push yourself to that next level.

This was never more evident for me than at Safety Harbor. Here I was, around all these fabulous women: beginner and veteran tappers, beginner and veteran trainers.

And Teresa tweaked EVERYONE'S form. And how! That included all of us. YES ALL OF US. There she is, correcting (for example) Lani and Kirsten on their form. Lani and Kirsten? I thought?

Yes. Lani and Kirsten.

Those two trainers are phenomenal at what they do. Form is uber good. (to coin one of my favorite adverbs) And there Teresa is, helping them take their form just that much further.

What a revelation that was.

T-Tapp isn't a destination, 'tis a journey.

And boy oh boy........what a ride!

~~gingerb[:X]

QE3
    10-23-2005, 11:50 PM
    Great post Cheryl~!

I LOVE it when people correct my form, love love LOVE it~!

I am a different T-Tapper than last year and could see this summer how much I've grown, but I do consider myself on a journey, not a conquest. I owned SITTM for months before I tried it, not that I was lazy, it just that the basic routine is sooo good in itself. I have occasionally gone back to the instructionals for a better workout, and know I should do that more, or regularly watch the form tips.

Kate

chercher1
    10-24-2005, 12:02 AM
    Thanks everyone!! I absolutely love when I can apply something from karate to T-Tapp and vice versa!! So, I am glad that my words were relatable to someone else It's nice to know I am not just talking to myself!! [:0][:0][:0]

LOL

Have a great week!

Cheryl Dodd
    T-Tapp Trainer, Ohio

Golfnsuch
    10-24-2005, 01:59 PM
    I love this post and dotjane's response to it.

I cannot tell you how many times I have done the various tapes sitting on my shelf, favorites and non-faves alike. I read something about an a-ha moment on the forums or work with someone else and "discover" a new form tweak. Pull one of my tapes off the shelf, start working out and hear Teresa saying exactly what I THOUGHT was new.

Gotta keep those ears and beginners mind open more! Thanks for sharing!

Have a great one, Elizabeth

pww818
    10-24-2005, 02:39 PM
    Cheryl, what great words to start the week with! That and Lani's motivational Monday and we're good to go.

I have been taking Lani's online course this Fall and your message has SO been my experience with this class. I have been Tapping for 2 1/2 years and of course rushed thru everything to get to the next step, just like you said. With the online course, we've gone back to basics and really focused on form. The results are that I am going more deeply into the workout and am totally wrung out with a Total.

Amazing!! Really wished I had started this way, but since I didn't I'm glad I've started over!

Pam

chercher1
    10-24-2005, 02:52 PM
    Elizabeth - I totally agree. I loved dotjane's response as well. How often in our lives does the right person appear or offer us words of wisdom that we need so desperately to hear???

Pam - I have no doubt that you are learning a TON of great stuff in Lani's online course. She is such an excellent teacher! Isn't it great that even though you "rushed" through things the first time around - there's nothing stopping you from going back to the basics now. I think you'll be surprised at all the "new" stuff you'll hear Teresa say on the tapes. You'll swear that she snuck in your house and changed your tapes!! LOL!! Teresa is one amazing and smart lady! We are so lucky to have her!!!

Cheryl Dodd
    T-Tapp Trainer, Ohio

Annette66
    10-24-2005, 04:22 PM
    Gosh! Isn't that the truth Cheryl!! I don't know how many times esp in the early years, that T snuck into my house and edited the tapes!!

Annette

teresatapp
    10-24-2005, 04:55 PM
    bump just to say how impressed I am with the answers on this thread. MY what a great group of trainers and tappers we are!

Teresa

Tina71

10-24-2005, 05:06 PM
    I have to agree---we have GREAT trainers!! And ttappers are the BEST!!

Tina

nzlucyblue
    10-24-2005, 07:35 PM
    Wonderful post.

I was a victim of that mindset (in the beginning) - 'okay, now I've done the instructional, I get the gist, let the real work begin.'
    But the longer I've been doing this the more I realize I don't know. The more I dig and research this, the more I realize what a beginner I truly am! A very humbling and magical expeerience.

I too love my form corrected, I want to learn as much as I can. Sometimes we only can learn so much at one time, and must work with it for awhile, and then when we're ready we can absorb more. I think that's why each time you watch/perform the workout, you hear new things - you're READY to hear it.

Thanks Cheryl. Great words of wisdom!
    Alice

chercher1
    10-24-2005, 09:43 PM
    Annette - you mean Teresa snuck into your house too??!! LOL. Boy, she sure gets around!!! [} ][} ][ ] Alice really hit the nail on the head about being ready to "hear" and learn more. Great insight from Alice.

Teresa -thanks for popping on the thread!!

Cheryl Dodd
    T-Tapp Trainer, Ohio

artgirl2

02-08-2006, 01:06 PM
    Thank you for the beginner-mind reminder ... after several years away I have re-started at the beginning (not my tendency, I am generally too impatient to read instruction manuals!) and after several weeks now of beginner/rehab, find I'm doing KLT, butt tucked, abs up and in, while brushing my teeth. Yesterday on a delightful 4mile walk I found I was doing the same thing, and actually heard Teresa's voice in my head saying "shoulders DOWN, KEEP THEM DOWN!" (Thanks for the reminder ... somehow she saw them creeping up! That woman is psychic! )

It made me laugh, and now I read she's visiting all of you too.. how wonderful!!

Great post, and outlook on life.
    Susan

Comment

Working...
    X