X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turtle Tappers: Time To breathe

Originally posted by Cheryl Dodd 11-16-2008, 11:08 PM

Hi Turtles!!!

I am sorry to have been MIA - I worked a lot the past week and a half plus my internet connection has been on the fritz and I couldn*t post and I was going thru serious internet withdrawals!! [][]

I have a couple thoughts to ponder this week as the holidays lurk just around the corner. . .

It is time to accept ourselves for how we look today and love ourselves anyway - -for the good, the bad and the rolls of pudge! Seriously, stressing all the time about every drop of food and obsessing about every little everything is counter productive and prevents us from enjoying the here and the now. Mental stress is just as damaging as physical stress.

Tell yourself ** I LOVE YOU** and one positive affirmation in the mirror. I like .... about myself. Do this while you are brushing your teeth. Just like we tell our best friends - Oh, I like your outfit, or your new hairdo. It is time to be our own best friend and compliment yourself.

Mindful eating without depriving. Turkey day is right around the corner. My philosophy which has worked well the last 4 years is to eat whatever I want (this way I can try everything) but I can only have a small lunch size portion not a heaping dinner size portion. This way I can eat whatever I want but I don*t feel stuffed and I am satisfied after eating. Most importantly I don*t feel like I gained 10 pounds in one day! You know what I am talking about!

Now workout wise -- what to do when nothing seems to be working. . .

If you are a person who leans --stand close to the wall if you don*t have a mirror and use that as a guide to catch yourself. This works if you are prone to lose your butt tuck. I know I have talked about this specifically when doing Plies but you can apply it anywhere.

If you find that the workout is too easy then you need to go back and review something. Teresa designed the workout so that there are NOT any easy moves. I would suggest that you pause the dvd and try to do the move by yourself at your own speed so that you can use your mind to talk yourself through the move and really engage your muscles layer by layer as you move through all the reps.

Here is an example of what I think about when I am doing Plies for example: After I have checked my stance and made sure that I am in proper position. It is squat down, two, three, four, squeeze my thighs, squeeze my butt, press lower back, tighten calves, squeeze harder as I start to raise back up, tight, tight tight on my thighs don*t relax, three, four. Really reach and extend those arms - squeeze biceps, triceps, delts etc. S T R E T C H and E X T E N D.

Make your BRAIN an active participant of your workout. The more you can tell your brain to engage your muscles the more benefit you will get out of the workout.

Drink lots of water!!!

Okay that is all for tonight. It has been a long day and my brain is getting fuzzy. Turtles are the BEST!!!!!!!

Cheryl Dodd, RN BSN
    T-Tapp Trainer, Maryland

chercher1
    11-17-2008, 09:40 AM
    Just wanted to add this morning to remember the importance of staying connected. If you are discouraged --it is okay and more importantly it is okay to talk about it and vent a little bit and get some moral support here.

Nanburr has had some excellent comments about consistency that I like. Am I consistently quitting every 2 or 3 weeks when the results don*t happen quick enough?? Am I truly working out or am I going thru the motions. Remember T-Tapp is HARD work because it is right left brain mind/body engagement! Some days I just don*t have it mentally to do justice to a T-Tapp workout so I walk instead.

It is okay. Did you take a breath??

Okay that is all for now. I am going to meet a friend and go explore around in Georgetown. She wants creme brulee but I think I would rather have some yummy French chocolate something!

Cheryl Dodd, RN BSN
    T-Tapp Trainer, Maryland

chercher1
    11-18-2008, 01:54 PM
    poodle - - of course I am talking to YOU!!! [ ][ ][ ]

The lunchsize portions has been such a blessing for me over the last several years to get through Thanksgiving dinner. Previously, I would go into the meal with the mindset of eat as much as I can and tomorrow I will deprive myself and make up for it. I was always bloated and tired after the meal with that **too stuffed** feeling. Now, with my lunch size portions mentality I do not feel deprived and I am pleasantly satisfied because I got to try everything. Most importantly, I don*t over-indulge and I don*t gain 5-10 lbs in one day. So, quantity wise I eat the same amount of food as any other day rather than seconds and thirds!!!

I hope my strategy helps you as we get ready for Thanksgiving and the holiday season.

Cheryl Dodd, RN BSN
    T-Tapp Trainer, Maryland

duckygee
    11-19-2008, 10:39 PM
    Hi again turtles -

I love reading all the comments, but this time I have a request for help.

It is fairly easy to tuck (at least when I remember to) when I am upright, but how do I maintain that feeling when I bend at the waist, like during the PBS sequence or oil wells? Am I supposed to have that same feeling as I do when I am upright when I am bending at the waist? I seem to feel it more in the outer hips when I bend at the waist.

Thanks

Donna

Lori French
    11-19-2008, 10:57 PM
    When in flat back, you do not tuck. You are *flat* back pulling buns up to the celing, which actually feels makes you back *feel* like it's arched, but it's flat. A mirror is very helpful with this. Be sure and pull your belly button to your spine, especially, in flat back. Gravity will try to pull it to the floor[ ]

Lori

nanburr
    11-20-2008, 10:18 AM
    Cheryl, I just have to tell you! You responded to my email awhile back about this. I have always had trouble with TTT. I'm sure a trainer watching me would still find things wrong with my form (!) but I must be doing something right. All at once, at long last, my ribcage is looking noticeably trimmer, even in clothes. I say even in clothes because, with such a short torso, the changes sometimes just simply do not show when covered up with a garment. But now it IS noticeable! I tried a belt on yesterday over a long blouse and I didn't look frumpy! This is so great. I am sure OIP/HF is helping, but I do feel we are getting somewhere with TTT. I've been double-dipping, too. I have never measured because I fluctuate so much and I get discouraged, but this is one case in which I regret not having done that. Thanks for helping!

Girls, when you come back up while doing TTT, make sure you use those torso muscles to ROLL UP, instead of using momentum with the arms. It made a huge difference right away. Yippee!

Nancy

Racing Poodle
    11-20-2008, 11:36 AM
    I've been seeing double-dipping comments for TTT. Can you tell me what this is?

I love TTT, even though sometimes I need to remind myself to breathe.

luv - poodle

eshlemania
    11-20-2008, 12:36 PM
    Poodle, double dipping is when you come up the first time, you stop and instead of twisting to the other side, you go back down again. Then come up and twist to the other side. Do 4 reps this way and do the last 4 the normal way.

Nancy, thanks for sharing that tip. I love TTT. I think that over the time I have t-tapped it has made the most difference for me, as my trouble area is my tummy. I am trying to do it every day, unfortunately this week it has not happened. The TWO Super Slow has some monsterous tips and tweaks that really make it a different creature.

This morning I have looked back to my first measurements just for the waist. In my year and a half I have lost 2" on my tummy. Now, I haven't really changed sizes and I am still wearing the clothes that I started with. BUT. . .I really am getting somewhere. I love tapping and I have noticed so many benefits, I would never give it up. But it's nice to know, that I am getting somewhere with it as far as that stubborn waist.

Bev

nanburr
    11-21-2008, 12:54 AM
    Bev, I'm one of those people who can lose or gain 20 pounds and still wear the same clothes. But there is nothing like getting smaller in the torso if that's where you are short! Those "old" clothes look new because *I* look new! So I don't really mind the old clothes! (Something new is well-deserved, however, don't you think? he-he

Monster tips and tweaks with Super Slow, eh? I just ordered that on Deep Discount day - oh, goodie! You say you're really getting somewhere. That's how I feel, too, even though the weight's the same, etc. These are the things I want the people to know who are discouraged after doing it for a few weeks or months. It can happen slowly, and still be real and deep change. I'm glad you're seeing it, too.

Nancy

Comment

Working...
    X