Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of Linear Alignment

Originally posted by Cheryl Dodd 12-11-2005, 08:20 PM

Sure, you have heard that T-Tapp is all about Linear Alignment but what does that really mean and how will it help us develop and build long lean muscles?

To me, linear alignment is all about building a strong base starting at my feet and going up my body. This was a key concept I learned from Lannette - many of us try to align our shoulders and straighten our posture and work down the bottom to our feet. Now's let's try it starting at our feet and work up!

Toes forward, hip width apart.
    Bend your knees until you can't see your toes
    Tuck butt
    Don't let your feet roll so far to the outside edge of your foot that your foot comes off the ground. This causes you to lose your linear alignment and puts undue stress on the ankle.

Now your lower body is in linear alignment - ankle to knee, knee to hip bone!!! OOOOOhhh we are making progress.

Here comes upper body:

Spine elongated. Ribcage lifted. Shoulders stacked directly over those hip bones.

So, now we have rib to hip, rib to shoulder. Almost there.

Flip palms at the side of the body and do a few shoulder rolls. Now lock those lats down into position. Shoulders rolled down and back.

Now we need to add. Shoulders in line with the ears (yep, you heard me right! Never thought of that linear alignment before?)

Now push KLT (doing just the basics here but advanced tappers can add NBT/BBJ).

Also, we need to think about wrist to elbow, elbow to shoulder but this will depend on our arm position.

If you aren't losing in your lower body - it is crucial to check your shoulder alignment especially your shoulder to hip. It is natural to feel that you are straight up and down but generally a mirror will help you to see if you are leaning forward or backwards.

You may want to stop and re-set your stance in between each move to make sure you haven't lost your linear alignment. Then you want to make sure you keep and maintain that linear alignment throughout each rep of each move. As your body starts to fatigue, it is easy to lose alignment.

How to build those long lean muscles? By utilizing linear alignment and putting your body in balance - it positions the body and the muscles into the best position to MAXIMIZE the utilization of isometric contractions and your own body's resistance to activate and engage each and every muscle insertion so that it can stretch and create those long, lean muscles that we love with T-Tapp.

The principles of linear alignment apply whether you are doing a standing or floor workout. Try adding this to your next workout and let me know if you feel a difference!

Cheryl Dodd
    T-Tapp Trainer, Ohio

handyclam
    12-11-2005, 08:53 PM
    Hi Cheryl,

Just wanted to say "hi"!! I have been lurking for a few days and decided to post when I saw this from you! Sorry about your car accident, but I think you look great and are living your life the way you want and that is great! I will keep on lurking....

Anna

aj
    12-12-2005, 09:17 AM
    Great review Cheryl. I agree your feet need to start the stance. I have been trying to correct my feet stance. Every since NBT came along, I've been exercising on the outside of my feet with the inside off the floor (just so slightly). After reading more and realizing my ankles/knees were suffering from this, I'm doing better. Keep your foot on the floor with you big toe lifted, not the whole side of your foot. Keep your weight to the outside, you we need our whole foot as a foundation.

April

mbecker
    12-12-2005, 09:37 AM
    Thanks Cheryl for sharing this. I printed it off and will keep it with my t-tapp tips file!

Re

gingerb
    12-12-2005, 11:44 AM
    Ahhhhhh, chercher is good, chercher is wise.

gr8fisch
    12-12-2005, 11:57 AM
    I should know this... "BBJ"?

chercher1
    12-12-2005, 12:38 PM
    Glad that my thoughts on linear alignment are helpful now the big question is - - did it help you kick your workout UP a notch??? hmmm.

handyclam - thanks for coming out of lurkdom. How are you??? Great to "see" you on the boards!

AJ - I was guilty also of shifting my weight too far to the outside edge of my foot almost to the point of lifting my shoes up off the floor. Glad to hear that you are doing well on your t-tapp journey and that you are reaching new levels!!

Re - glad to help. Just be sure to review your notes periodically - you'll be amazed at how something "clicks" a little more and you are able to take your workout higher!

Ging - smooches darling

gr8fisch - BBJ is Big ball joint and can be used to take NBT to the next level.

PLEASE NOTE: BBJ and NBT are definitely a more advanced form tip and should NOT be attempted by beginners.

Cheryl Dodd
    T-Tapp Trainer, Ohio

dotjane
    12-12-2005, 03:06 PM
    Dear Cher, after running thru your suggestions, I realized that I am guilty of jutting my neck forward. Didn't realize it until I checked the shoulder to ear alignment. pulled neck in and up -waa laa, big difference. Thanks

Dorothy Trahan

gr8fisch
    12-12-2005, 03:34 PM
    Ah Cher ami... i shoulda known that... thanks... it's a can-do.

chercher1
    12-13-2005, 10:09 AM
    dorothy - great job on the renewed awareness of your body alignment!! woo HOOO!!

gr8fisch [ ]

Cheryl Dodd

2bthinagain
    12-13-2005, 10:44 AM
    and because I am soooo trap dominant, (Jeanne can attest to that) I have to stop and re-align all the time!

Cheryl

chercher1
    12-13-2005, 11:41 AM
    Ginger - [:X][:X][:X][:X]

Cheryl - those darn traps are sooooo strong and they want to do all the work so the lats can continue taking a break and drinking 'ritas!! LOL. It sounds like Jeanne really helped you to have this awareness of your trap dominance. The more you can work on this throughout the day and help your lats to "pick up the slack" and activate those muscles the more these muscles will strengthen and balance out. [ ]

Cheryl Dodd
    T-Tapp Trainer, Ohio

mbecker
    01-02-2006, 02:17 PM
    Cheryl,

I have been practicing linear alingment (although I need to do it more), but yes, I am noticing a difference... especially in PBS!!!

Marie

chercher1
    01-02-2006, 11:13 PM
    Marie -

Way to GO!! Linear Alignment is sooooo important! Keep up the good work!

Cheryl Dodd
    T-Tapp Trainer, Ohio

suz1947
    01-03-2006, 11:44 AM
    Cheryl, thanks so much for your post. I’ve been guilty too of lifting more of my foot than I should with NBT. I went back to the drawing board to start all over about a month ago, and your post is awesome. I've printed it up.

Suzanne

mbecker

02-05-2006, 09:47 AM
    Thanks for bumping this Ginger. I realize that I still jut my head foward and need to pull it back and align it with the shoulders...thanks for the reminder Cheryl.

Hugs,
    Marie

Comment

Working...
    X