Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are thinking .. .Why am I Not Losing? Part II

Originally posted by Cheryl Dodd Coale 04-09-2009, 09:08 PM
    Some time ago, I posted a thread on some factors that influence your body to shed inches/weight and I wrote extensively about the importance of the body being in balance. Here's the link: https://forum.t-tapp.com/forum/main-...m-i-not-losing

So, I have been thinking about this topic over the last few weeks and then Arghlita posted this awesome comment that really piggybacked on my comments and got me thinking about the importance of nutritional supplementation. Arghlita I hope you don't mind -- but she stated in a nutshell...

I ended up seeing a new chiropractor here and learned that my intestines, liver, adrenals and immune system were all compromised years ago. I feel *so* different. See, with my liver and adrenals compromised, every time I managed to burn stored fat I was releasing toxins that I had stored in fat to protect my overworked liver. My liver was still overworked, so as soon as I burned the fat I would turn around and pack it right back on, plus more! So any time I cleaned up my diet I basically was starving myself but getting fatter due to the stress of starving. Finally, an explanation for how my body reacted!

For her complete post:
    https://forum.t-tapp.com/forum/main-...back-in-action

Wow - this is some powerful stuff that she wrote! So, she was cleaning up her diet, trying to t-tapp and doing other "good" things and instead of losing inches -- and the body instead of rewarding her for all the good things it just continued to expand (extra inches). Her body was trying to signal her that there was a problem but she wasn't getting the message and clearly her body wasn't in balance.

We talked in my other post about hormones, sleep, nutrition, exercise, stress and this concept of "balance" or equilibrium that the body is looking for.

So, let's dig a little deeper into the endocrine system and specifically the ADRENALS

The Adrenal Glands sit atop of the kidneys are enclosed in a capsule and well insulated by a layer of fat. The outer region of the adrenal gland is the adrenal cortex and is divided into 3 zones which are responsible for producing aldosterone (a mineralocorticoid), ACTH, adrenal androgens, estrogens, other mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids. The inner region is the adrenal medulla which is responsible for secreting the catecholaimines epinephrine, norepinephrine and dopamine.

Now, the glucocorticoid we most care about is CORTISOL. It is the most potent of the natural occurring glucocorticoids and is the main secretory product of the adrenal cortex. It is necessary for the maintenance of life and for protection from stress. The biologic half life of cortisol is 90 minutes and the LIVER has primary responsibility to deactivate it. Cortisol is regulated by the hypothalmus and the anterior pituitary gland. ACTH is the main regulator of cortisol secretion.

McCance & Huether (2002) Pathophysiology: The Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults & Children 4th ed.

The problem is that we are bombarded with stress on a daily 24/7 basis and the adrenals are not meant to handle this amount of stress. Imagine turning the switch ON for your "fight or flight response" and forgetting to turn it OFF. This is reality for many people given the pressures of job, family, finances, etc. I don't even need to mention how we abuse our body with bad food when we are overstressed and this is purely a response to the changes in hormones.

So, now even when you don't think you are stressed, your body could internally be stressed. Beginning or enhancing your lifestyle with nutritional supplements under the guidance of a knowledgeable professional is crucial to help your body help itself to reach for equilibrium and get back in balance.

Hope this helps . . .

Cheryl Dodd Coale BSN, RN, CCRN, FCCS
    T-Tapp Trainer, Maryland
    Last edited by Forum Angel; 04-13-2016, 09:57 AM.

BlessedMama
    04-10-2009, 08:01 AM
    GREAT post!

EXCELLENT post, Cheryl!!!! It reminds me of what Dr. Diana Schwarzbein says, "You don't lose weight to get healthy, you get healthy to lose weight." (I would amend that to say, "inches"! )

Can't wait to see you next Saturday!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

KatMc
    04-10-2009, 12:29 PM
    Cheryl,

Thanks for the very informative info. I really enjoyed reading this.

Hugs, Kathleen

Just went and read your other post. Great, again!!

VeggieGirl
    04-10-2009, 01:14 PM
    That is so helpful. Our bodies are so complicated and it really makes you realize that 1 answer doesn't fit all or as Teresa always says, we're all just not fruit.

Jean from NJ

Jen82
    04-10-2009, 05:55 PM
    I have been trying to find out for awhile now if the Adranal Health supplement from Gaia herbs is safe for nursing. This seems like a good place to ask. I looked on their site but even products I used during pregnancy are labeled "not for pregnant or lactating women". Any one know?

iammaga
    04-10-2009, 06:33 PM
    Excellent Cheryl. We must also remember, it did not take us overnight to get our bodies in this awful shape. So, it will not be overnight that we start to feel wonderful. It is also ok to have set backs. You just need to get back on the "horse" the next day. Eventually, you fall off less and accomplish more because your body is healing.

I highly recommend The Scwarzbein Principle II.

Neecy

chercher1
    04-12-2009, 06:53 PM
    Trisch - can't wait to see you either! Less than a week to go until I am in Indy!

Kat - glad you liked the post!

Jean - You are right --one size doesn't fit all.

Jen -- I don't know about Gaia Herbs specifically but I would bet you either need to wait until after you are nursing unless you are under the treatment of a healthcare professional.

Neecy - I totally agree. The body took awhile to get out of shape and unfortunately it will take time to heal it as well.

chercher1
    04-14-2009, 07:52 PM
    Remember the Adrenal gland is the MASTER gland of the ENDOCRINE system and this is important because of our hormones and how well they are regulated. . . Hmmmm....

chercher1

04-19-2009, 03:18 PM
    Had a great time in Indy and several women shared how their thyroid and adrenals were out of balance and the struggles of fighting with low energy through the day. I shared my own battle with thryoid and adrenal issues and as I begin a new regime with the help of supplementation with the help of my healthcare professional==I will share my journey and the progress I make personally in this area.

Bekah
    07-12-2010, 09:44 AM
    how did this go?

Cheryl,
    I'm interested in what you learned about adrenals/thyroid and how you are doing with those after your conference. Mine need a lot of healing!
    Bekah

Comment

Working...
    X