Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever thought Why am I not Losing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever thought Why am I not Losing?

Originally posted by Cheryl Dodd Coale 04-18-2007, 09:17 PM
    Have you ever asked yourself Why am I not losing?

Boy, is this a loaded question that does not have a simple answer. There are multiple factors that play a role in our body’s ability to function. Sleep, nutrition, hormones, exercise, water intake, stress, disease.

It is important to consider that the body is constantly in motion seeking to preserve balance wherever it can.

SLEEP

We all know that sleep is important. Experts say that 8 hours are ideal – some require more and some require less. Quality sleep with no interruptions is ideal but for moms with small children- they find this to be very challenging. During sleep, the cells are busy – repairing, rebuilding and carrying out the work that it doesn’t have time for during the day when we are awake.

NUTRITION

We all know the importance of proper nutrition but understanding what your body specifically needs and how much can be a daunting task. Too many calories? Not enough calories? More protein? Less Carbohydrates? It’s enough to make your head swim. It is helpful to become your own “advocate” and research many different ways of eating (WOE) so that you can determine which plan suits your needs. Most experts agree that adding more fruits and vegetables, eating lean proteins and complex carbohydrates is appropriate. They also agree that reducing caffeine, excess sugar, and eliminating artificial sweetners, artificial flavors/preservatives, fast foods and processed foods is a great first step on the path to wellness. I highly recommend tracking your food intake for one week so that you can objectively analyze your eating over several days. Read those food labels.

One final item to mull over - -how many years of poor eating habits, artificial sweeteners and/ or preservatives, yo-yo dieting, diet pills etc. do you need to recover from?

HORMONES

It is only as we reach our 30s and 40s do we begin to realize the role of hormones and their effect our life extend beyond the inconvenient several days marked by cramps, bloating and menstruation. Here’s some technical information about how the hormones function within the body:
    The endocrine glands respond to specific signals by synthesizing and releasing hormones into the circulation. Although a wide variety of hormones function within the body, they share certain general characteristics:
    - Hormones have specific rates and patterns of secretion.
    - Hormones operate within feedback systems either positive or negative to maintain an optimal internal environment.
    - Hormones affect only cells with appropriate receptors and then act on these cells to initiate specific cell functions or activities.
    - The kidneys excrete hormones, whereas the liver metabolizes hormones – inactivating them and rendering the hormone more water soluble for renal excretion.

The release of hormones occurs either in response to an alternation in the cellular environment or in the process of maintaining a regulated level of certain hormones. Hormone release is regulated by chemical factors and regulatory mechanisms.

Negative feedback systems are important in maintaining hormones within set physiologic ranges. Various hormonal imbalances are caused by excessive hormone production which is caused as a result of the failure to “turn off” the system.

An example of this is when the body releases epinephrine as a result of activation of the sympathetic nervous system in response to STRESS. When the stress is removed the nervous stimulation decreases and less epinephrine is released.

Once hormones are released into the circulatory system by the endocrine glands, they are circulated throughout the body. Peptide or protein hormones (insulin, pituitary, hypothalamic, parathyroid) are water soluble and circulate in free unbound forms. Water soluble hormones generally have a short half-life because they are catabolized by circulating enzymes.

The lipid-soluble hormones are classified as steroid hormones and include androgens, estrogens, progestins, glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids,

Cheryl Dodd Coale BSN, RN, CCRN, FCCS
    T-Tapp Trainer, Maryland

Lori French
    04-18-2007, 09:25 PM
    Well said, Cheryl! Where do you find the time to write all these thought provoking articles *and* stuffed with so much great info??? So many thoughts to ponder.....

Lori

chercher1
    04-18-2007, 09:29 PM
    Thanks Lori!

Thanks, this one I've been putting together for awhile as I've been pondering the whole hormone issue that many tappers seem to be struggling with. It's all about helping people and I love to learn and then share what I've learned.

[:X][:X]

Cheryl Dodd
    T-Tapp Trainer, Ohio

meanderwithme
    04-18-2007, 09:44 PM
    Cheryl, get out of my head! All day, I've not only been thinking, "why am I not losing," but also "Why the *&^% am I gaining?"

Today is my second day off after a 9-day bootcamp, and I was hoping to see some swelling reduction by now. Instead, I'm barely squeezing into my "bigger" jeans, and I'm frustrated as all get-out. I'm also getting grouchy, but that's largely a function of 2 days without a workout.

SIGH.

Off to drink a couple more glasses of water...

Allison

niecy
    04-18-2007, 09:56 PM
    oh! Can I add one? Great post BTW Cheryl!

Breathing! I learned that 70% of our metabolic waste is released through our exhale. So if we're not breathing properly, we're holding onto that! ewwwww So exhale MORE than you inhale! Get it out! LOL

Also WHERE we breath from is important! If we're breathing from the upper part of our lungs, as you inhale, only the upper part of the chest moves, we're actually releasing adrenaline! This can raise cortisol! Which means weight gain! So we want to bring our breathing down into the belly. Allow the belly to expand with our breath. When you inhale allow the belly to expand like a balloon. This will release relaxation hormones! Wearing lose fitting clothes will help keep an unrestricted belly area.

Breath work is the foundation of martial arts and yoga. And notice when Teresa instucts you to 'inhale big, exhale bigger'. You're releasing those toxins and burn fat!

Denise
    T-Tapp Trainer - Illinois

wtchyhlr
    04-19-2007, 09:32 PM
    ugh, hormones, hormones hormones.

Since i've started t-tapping, i've had symptoms of hypothyroidism rear their head... this month was my bloodwork check in, and instead of my TSH being high, as expected, its super low. So now my body is acting hypothyroid when its really hyperthyroid.

So. Annoying.

Nice post, tho, and definately worth the read. i am on my second rest day after a 9 day bootcamp, and will measure tomorrow. not expecting much. I go EOD starting tomorrow.

Joy

chercher1
    04-20-2007, 07:11 PM
    Joy - I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your hormones. Just remember at the cellular level your body's goal is to find and achieve balance. While your labwork is frustrating it does show that your body IS trying to re-balance and re-gain homeostasis! Best of luck to you.

Cheryl Dodd
    T-Tapp Trainer, Ohio

justkim
    05-03-2007, 07:43 PM
    Joy,
    Have you read "What your doctor might not tell you about hypothyroidism"?
    http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Doct...8232073&sr=1-1
    I wish I could remember where in the book I read about a situation similar to yours and how it was treated. If I find it I will pass it on.

QE3
    05-06-2007, 10:31 PM
    Fabulous post Chercher!

I missed it first round, must have been on roller coasters that day.

I'm a perfect example of losing inches once my hormones started to balance out from getting on my Armour thyroid hormones.

Kate -:¦:- Queen of Everything plus 3 boys! -:¦:-

Lizzy Joy
    05-07-2007, 05:36 PM
    Thank you, Kirsten, for linking me to Cheryl's encouraging thread!!! [^]

I have been soooo tired... way toooo tired! Not like "myself" at all.

My hormones are all out of whack, for two weeks every month... and I've been worrying about "chronic fatigue" or something worse going on. My enthusiasm and energy seem to have disappeared, but I don't "feel" depressed... just exhausted and weak! [V]

This thread reminded me of so many "little things" that I've hardly noticed changing... but that may definitely be related.

Like, the fact that my husband is snoring more and more, and I wake up so often in the night that I don't feel "rested" at 6 a.m. anymore. He's also a nightowl, and keeps me up much later than I want to be... which also leads to late night snacking. Hmmmmm I must work on this!!! [:I]

Also, I stopped taking my vitamins and supplements a few weeks ago, as the B complex made my tummy queasy and I kept reading that they were not "worth" taking, as long as I was eating healthy.

Water makes a big difference too! My water and fiber intake are both down, due to this terrible incontinence problem and IBS. UGH! [xx(]

It is time for my annual physical, so I will schedule it soon!

I have been gaining about a pound a month for the past two years... even with consistent diet and exercise. But more recently, I put on ten pounds in two weeks! [:0] That's when I got depressed and more worried about it!

I have a little "HealthWatchers" support group that meets on Thursday nights at my house... and I feel like a terrible example for them! We do T-Tapp together and go for a SATI walk outside. But none of us are losing weight or inches... so I MUST tell them about this thread.

I will begin making small changes every day! Starting NOW!!!

I am getting up and "standing" at my laptop, instead of sitting.

As soon as I hit "Reply" I will go for a swim in the pool with my kids. [^]

Tonight at 9 p.m. I will remind my hubby and kids that it is BEDTIME in one hour!!! Whether they go to bed or not... I WILL !!!

Thanks again, T-Tappin' Sisters! You all are the BEST, BEST, BEST!

Blessings,
    Lizzy Joy

BlessedMama

06-08-2007, 10:46 PM
    Cheryl,

Once again, you've given lots of "food for thought"!!! Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts into print for us!!! I really appreciate it!

Trisch

joravetz
    08-13-2007, 05:48 PM
    Great Post!

May I add a comment on sleep?
    I've done a lot of research on sleep since I wasn't getting enough of it.

One thing that studies have shown is you should sleep in a multiples of 90. Why? Your sleep cycle lasts 90 minutes, waking up in the middle of a cycle will make you much more tired than waking up at the end of a cycle.

Just thought I'd pass that info along.

~Jina

Comment

4him
      12-12-2007, 03:44 PM
      I am new to ttapp and am now pondering this question.
      This is my workout for the last 3 weeks.
      Mon.-Sat. I do the beginner rehab and walk for 30 min. at seperate times during the day. Sunday off. I measured myself again and I have gained in the hip, waist, and abdomen. I have gained weight also. I thought maybe this might be muscle but not sure. I have a congenital hip and this workout is great because it does not put stress on my bad leg. But doc said I need to be down to 125. My leg hurts a lot and I need more muscle and less weight to carry or long term it will result in a total hip. I have always gotten it off after pregnancy but I am now in my 30's and my last baby is almost 3!! I am sorry, I am discouraged and need to know a game plan to get myself in better shape. Was just hoping to see a little results today. What are some of the specific excercises to balance hormones? Any help would be great.

chercher1
      12-12-2007, 10:56 PM
      quote:This is my workout for the last 3 weeks.
      Mon.-Sat. I do the beginner rehab and walk for 30 min. at seperate times during the day. Sunday off. I
      I will be happy to help you with your questions. How long have you been tapping and how long did you stick with the instructionals prior to switching to the beg/rehab workout? My other question for you is just to clarify what you wrote "that you are doing Beg/rehab everyday Mon thru Sat and you've done that for 3 weeks straight plus walking?
      One final question - are you doing the entire workout or are you stopping after Thread the Needle???

Cheryl Dodd, RN BSN

4him
      12-13-2007, 01:43 PM
      I started the instructionals in September.
      Did them off and on. Did one till I got the hang of it
      and then went on the the 2nd one. I have to stop tapping
      due to things going on. I refreshed myself and then started
      my current routine. I have done a workout Mon. - Sat. the full beginner rehab. and the walking. The second week was Mon.-Fri. full beginner rehab. and walking. This week so far has been the work out every day
      and I have walked 3 days. This is my third week not counting the hit and miss of learning the instructionals. I do do the entire workout.
      I had not measured since the beginning and did so yesterday after 2 1/2 weeks. Thank you for helping.

NeonJungle
      01-04-2008, 12:55 AM
      Thanks much for this post! There's tons of great info there.

One thing we need to remember too -- or many things -- the health benefit of T-Tapp. Sometimes if we approach a workout from the health aspect and how it makes us FEEL as much as how much we lose, our brains get reinforced about the benefit and we don't lose momentum when life changes come around or when we get close to a goal size or weight and the loss slows down.

quote:I have done a workout Mon. - Sat. the full beginner rehab. and the walking. The second week was Mon.-Fri. full beginner rehab. and walking. This week so far has been the work out every day
      and I have walked 3 days. This is my third week not counting the hit and miss of learning the instructionals. I do do the entire workout.
      I had not measured since the beginning and did so yesterday after 2 1/2 weeks. Thank you for helping.
      Hi, 4Him, it could be that your body is adjusting to a new way to work it, especially if you weren't very consistent with exercise before hand. That happens with me; when I am inconsistent with exercise and then get back on track with regular exercise. Muscles are going to hold onto water when you first start working them to feed and rebuild. So sometimes we bulk a little with any new plan.

For me, it happens cause I'm a combo body type (pretty proportional, big boned, have large calves and no real "ankles" -- I like to call 'em cankles) so I know that if I just keep on working, my body will adjust to the new activity and work more effectively; it just takes me a little longer than other body types to show results.

Hang in there! Be sure to get enough water, good nutritional foods (fresh and natural as possible) that your body can use with ease instead of processed frozen meals and the like, stick with the workouts and be sure to get a little YOU time each day. That can so make a difference -- just some time to reflect -- in any program, because it gives us time to appreciate what's happened and what may come. It takes us a while to get out of shape; so reflecting on what we are doing to take care of our bodies TODAY can help when we feel discouraged in the time frame of getting back into shape.

Keep Teresa's motto, "Yes! You can!" and "Treat the inside right, and the outside reacts" in mind, too! Hope this helps, 4Him!

Harper

4him

01-09-2008, 05:53 PM
      Thank you for the encouragement. I have gone back and watched the pop videos on the site for extra pointers and went back to doing the instructionals to see what I am missing. Once I start working out
      it only takes about 6 weeks to get back to within a few pounds of where I was at. But I am older, more kiddos, and this is the longest I have gone without doing anything. I took my mesurements again and have not lost anything but I WILL stick with it. I do see a difference doing t-tapp. Me time is not really an option right now (unless it is after midnight when I need to be sleeping, if the toddler is not waking up again.) Maybe in 10 years.
      It is hard to get through working out without interruptions. I do divide up the workouts into 1 and 2. One in the morning and one at night so I have less interruptions. Again thank you for your encouragement.

BlessedMama
      01-09-2008, 07:09 PM
      4him, if I understand it right, you are doing a full or total workout every day. I think, unless you're doing a bootcamp of 4-14 days, you are to do the total every other day. You can do the Basic Workout Portion on your "off days" or another short workout (under 30 minutes? Or is it 20? Trainer help?!). It could be that your overtraining which could be stalling your inch loss.

And as you'll read on the forums, don't underestimate the power of the instructionals! Revisit them from time to time (I'm trying to get my first dvd back so I can do the Instructional 1 again!).

Perhaps CherCher or another trainer can confirm what I said and give us the scoop on how much is okay on the off days.

HTH!

Trisch

chercher1
      01-09-2008, 11:34 PM
      4him -

Sorry for not catching back up on this sooner. I have been busy with work and I "lost" this thread out of my active topics. I will apologize up front because I am tired (just worked a 12+ hour day) and spent a hour fighting with my internet connection so please bear with me.

You are doing way too many full workouts in one week. Less is more with T-Tapp. You only need to do Beg/Rehab (or other full workout) 3-4 days per week this is what we call EOD or Every Other Day.

My doing so many workouts day after day in addition to walking you are putting your body into "Overtraining" mode and the body reacts by holding on to extra fluid and the muscles will swell because you are not getting adequate rest in between workouts.

T-Tapp is all about working smarter not longer. The secret to T-Tapp is to MAXIMIZE each and every workout. The way to do this is to go to your max and be fully engaged both mind and body and provide plenty of rest in between workouts. This allows the body to repair and recharge in anticipation of the next workout.

Some people choose to do BW+ as a short workout on an off day but at this point, I would suggest you take several (3-4) days off in a row to give your body a chance to fully recuperate and then start back with Beg/rehab EOD. Then slowly add back in walking on your off days.

It is fine to split up Beg/rehab into two sections just make sure that you do PBS first before resuming the 2nd part of the workout.

In addition, your body is working hard on the inside. Give it a short break and then return to your workouts with gusto and you will be amazed at the difference in your attitude and your ability.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

T-Tapp will work for you - -it is just going to take some time. Please be patient with yourself.

Cheryl Dodd, RN BSN
      T-Tapp Trainer, Maryland

4him
      01-14-2008, 11:17 PM
      Thank you for all your wonderful help. I did take
      a full week off. I started again with the instructionals
      and the pop videos. I am only working out 3 days a week now.
      I am sore from the workouts and am gaining muscle.
      You are right, I did over train. (not knowing that was what I
      was doing) I did spend time reading and searching for answers and found the thread on how to know if you are over training. I am
      slowly learning. Thank you for your patience and kindness
      in helping me. This site is full of valuable info!

what is TTT double dips?

PixieNona
      03-02-2009, 04:22 AM
      Well I sure needed this this morning. I just did my measurements for day 30 of the Self Directed 60 day challenge and I've lost 4.25 inches. It just feels like I should be farther along at this point.

I've also been feeling vaguely "not well". It just feels like my body is fighting me on this. I know the hypothyroid plays a big part in this. I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough Armour, my TSH is non exsistant, LOL. But my body really does not seem to want to give up this weight. I've tried dieting for years with no success. I've been hoping T-Tapp would be my answer, and it looks like even with the T-Tapp, I am going to have to fight for every quarter of an inch. Grrr! Fortunately I am stubborn!

Nona

BlessedMama
      03-02-2009, 09:45 AM
      Nona, do make sure you're eating enough protein. I have found when I skimped on protein intake, the losses are slower. Other things can affect it, too, but when we don't fuel our bodies well, they hang ON to fat and sacrifice muscle!!! ARGH!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
      ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
      ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
      -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Comment

PixieNona
        03-03-2009, 04:38 AM
        Originally posted by BlessedMama View Post
        Nona, do make sure you're eating enough protein. I have found when I skimped on protein intake, the losses are slower. Other things can affect it, too, but when we don't fuel our bodies well, they hang ON to fat and sacrifice muscle!!! ARGH!
        This is a very good point well taken. I've generally been very protein concious due to being hypoglycemic when I was younger. But I'm wondering .... I used to start almost every day with a scoop of protein powder in milk ... since I have been making and drinking kefir, a big glass of kefir starts my day. I can't see mixing the protein powder in the kefir, I love it straight up! And I'm already getting so much dairy. I will have to give some thought to how to get more protein in.

Thanks for the reminder

Nona

SeanyseanUK
        01-02-2010, 12:25 PM
        I just love the examples you mention, but want to highlight that HORMONES are not a women only problem, and although Cheryl rightly points out that its as we begin to reach our 30's and 40's that we realize the importance of their balance, our hormones can be effected by so many different things out there (that I really and truly suspect that hormone imbalance actually happens a lot earlier than that, but we see the major results during those years).

I'm also an insulin dependent diabetic (which as we all know insulin is a hormone), so I can fully testify to the importance of diet in regulating our bodies and hormones. You know with all the processed foods our youngsters eat nowadays, its not surprising to me that people in their 20's get their hormones unbalanced. Men also are incredibly effected by hormones - and when they start playing up for us guys, it can be disasterous, but no one really speaks up for guys and the importance of hormone balancing which is quite sad.

Sean

faithful
        09-28-2010, 12:36 AM
        Since I am now over 50 do I now have a lack of hormones? I know that I have low blood pressure, low cholesterol and no thyroid problems. I'm wondering if I should be concerned with hormone replacement. So far the only thing I have add is black cohosh [3 capsules daily] to control hot flashes.

ayj67
        02-01-2013, 09:31 PM
        Wow, this is such a good thread for hormone and breathing.

Comment

Working...
        X