X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proven T-Tapp Formula

Originally posted by Dantheman 03-23-2007, 12:23 PM

The Only Proven Success Formula with T-Tapp is:

“Proper Form, Isometric Contractions and Consistency”!

Proper Form: It’s a challenge for everyone regardless of size, shape or fitness level. And it’s always a moving target. As you progress with your understanding of the Workout, become familiar and recognize you body and muscle groups, acquire new strength and flexibility, your level of Personal Max increases. This progression changes your execution ability (Personal Max)for each move.

Isometric Contractions: Really, what does that mean? How do you implement an Isometric Contraction? I believe this is the most misunderstood and under utilized aspect of the formula. Lets use the a real life experience that we all have encounter. You have a new jar of pickles and you want to open the lid. If you are right handed, you pick-up the jar with your left hand, right hand covers the lid and you begin to twist the lid to open. But it does not move. So, you try again but this time you are determined to get that lid off. Your left hand tightens around the base of the jar with fingers securely holding the jar in a stationary position. The right hand covers the lid with your finger grasping the edge of the lid, both left and right wrist are locked in a straight alignment with forearm and hand (isn’t that Interesting) and you begin to apply pressure in opposing directions with the left and right hand. The lid is still not moving so you apply even more strength (the fingers, wrist and forearm muscles are fully activated at this point). The Lid is still not releasing. So again, you setup and being applying pressure and maybe you lock your arms into position and engage the shoulders, lats and core muscles and the Lid finally releases. All that for a pickle!
    But the learning here is not now bad you wanted a pickle, it’s what is and how to apply Isometric Contractions. In this case the Isometric Contract is the activation of the muscles and pressure applied up to the point that that the lid released with the opposition of the twisting motion of the left and right hands.

So how do you apply Isometric Contractions in you T-Tapp Workouts? You build pressure or muscle tension to resist the workout move in the opposing direction. Again by example: In PBS arms; the movement of the arms should be not just to pump them backwards and let them come freely back to the body. It should be that you are applying pressure in the Opposing direction.

Standing in the PBS Arms position with a towel (I always use a towel because I can get stronger muscle activation and a better isometric contraction with a towel), [Feet hip width apart, Knees bent, Tucked and pressing lower back, Navel pulled in to Spine, Raised Rib cage, Shoulders are back and down, Lats are engaged, KLT] thumbs are pointing to the back wall and my wrist are Straight and Strong. Now I begin to apply the Tension from my Engaged lats to shoulder and from my shoulder to the thumb. Pressing the shoulders back and down and reaching to the floor with my hands (more advanced Isometrics Contractions can be applied here but for now lets just concentrate on the downward pressure). I know that the move is to move my hands to the back wall and only my shoulders should be moving. So, I need to build the tension from my shoulders to oppose the move or that is to say, to build resistance against the move. Try this, get in the position described above standing with your hands against a wall. With your hands pressing against the wall, try to move them backwards. Feel that muscle activation from your lats and shoulder all the way down you arm! Now step away and try duplicating the Opposing Pressure, the resistance of the wall, using your Isometric Contractions that are created by your internal muscles.

And you thought Proper Form was hard to achieve! Isometric Contraction opportunities are plastered throughout the T-Tapp workouts. Begin identifying all the Isometric Contraction (Opposing or move resistance) opportunities in each of your workout

niecy
    03-23-2007, 12:37 PM

MMMmmmmm pickles! LOL Dan! Great post!

I would like to add, let's all get rid of the 'all or nothing' attitude. I'm guilty. "well, today I didn't get a Total Workout in, oh well, guess I wont do T-Tapp today" Just do PBS! And go from there. It doesn't HAVE to be a total workout. I've changed my thinking to, 'I'll do one move and see how it goes' Before I know it, I have almost the total workout done!

Denise
    T-Tapp Trainer - Illinois

LadyGumby
    03-23-2007, 12:38 PM

Thanks Dantheman for an interesting read as always

Marsha1965
    03-23-2007, 12:41 PM

Very interesting post, Dan.

Something 'interesting' to add is that while I am right handed, I hold the pickle jar in my right hand and twist the lid with my left hand. Guess I am an oddball that way! [} ]

niecy
    03-23-2007, 12:44 PM

LOL me too Marsha! I thought it was just me! Both my parents are left handed and I do a lot of things left handed.

Denise
    T-Tapp Trainer - Illinois

neraddan
    03-23-2007, 01:56 PM

Being from the less is more school I turn the pickle jar upside down, bop it on the bottom to release the vacuum, turn it back right side up and open it with little force. [} ]

Great post Dan - you always give me something to think about that ramps up the impact of the workout.

-----------------
    Kate in Maine

Jillmar
    03-23-2007, 02:07 PM

Very wise words for our "one and only" Dantheman! [ ]

Jill Brightbill
    T-Tapp Trainer

Jhaele
    03-23-2007, 02:20 PM

quote:Originally posted by neraddan

Being from the less is more school I turn the pickle jar upside down, bop it on the bottom to release the vacuum, turn it back right side up and open it with little force. [} ]
    Bahaha! I do that too!
    Although I do have to say I used Dantheman's method before I hurt my back...after that it was impossible to use that many muscles to get a pickle! It hurt!

~~Jhaele~~

meanderwithme
    03-23-2007, 02:48 PM

Fabulous post, Dan.

I found myself looking at new ways to improve my form AND add to the contractions yesterday during TWO, and I kept losing my balance during TTN! It's amazing how this workout can be as hard or as easy as you want it to be. Something tells me I'm going to stick with B/R for a good long time before I really *need* another workout...

Thanks for the reminder that with consistency, the results will come. I keep telling myself that, but hearing it from someone else, it *feels* more true!

~~~~~
    Allison
    Santa Fe, NM

gr8tful1
    03-23-2007, 03:22 PM

Great post, Dan. I'm just starting training to become a T-Tapp trainer and am having a hard time explaining isometric contractions to the people i am video-taping. This will really help! It also really helps me. I notice that every time I reach a plateau it is ususally because I haven't been using my max isometrically.

Barb

Annette66
    03-23-2007, 06:11 PM

Great post Dan!!

But the pickle jar thing....can't help but think this came from your personal experience....and the vision of you getting more and more obsessed with opening the dang jar!! too funny.

Love your analogy, and know I will never open another tough to open jar w/o thinking of this POST!

Annette
    Senior T-Tapp Trainer, Iowa

Dannie
    03-24-2007, 04:15 AM

Dantheman, Thank you!

I have a better understanding of isometric contractions now. Wow! I've been thinking about this for several weeks, but didn't quite know how to put it into words to ask the question here on the forum.

Great post!

Daniela

nomoredieting
    04-07-2007, 09:58 AM

Wow Dantheman, this is great.

I'm fairly new to T-Tapp and have been doing Instr#1 thinking why is this soooo easy? The problem has been that I wasn't considering the isometric contractions and as you stated in the other posts, reading the DVD. You offer a lot of information and for that, I thank you.

And I agree with you Denise, I suffer from that "all or nothing" attitude because that is what has set me back from getting what I truly want and desire. Bit by bit, that is starting to change as I start to incorporate accountability into the picture![:I]

Thank you all for such great encouragement.

Pat

Nikki Dawn
    04-08-2007, 04:46 PM

Oh my sister just emailed me this page. I have been hoping someone would explain this to me. Would you use this same concept when you try to go down on your plies also. I finally figured out how to do it coming up. I would also have to ask does anyone have an indepth explaination of full fiber activation? I figured it sounds self explanitory but knowing me I may be missing it. Oh thank you for the wise words.

QE3
    04-08-2007, 05:36 PM

Nikki, if a move feels easy then you are not employing the principles of T-Tapp. On Plies, you would be pushing your knees out to KLT as you go down, also pressing the lower back and tucking butt. Your legs remain tight tight tight at all times. If you get your leg to quiver, then you've gone to your max, lol. This is why Teresa says the stronger you get, the more you get out of it, and the less you have to do it.

Full fiber muscle activation means you are pulling on the muscle from each end that it attached to the bone. Most traditional exercise is isotonic which is one attachment to the belly (middle) of the muscle, making your muscles bulk up. T-Tapp instead pulls on both ends making lean long muscles. I think this is a challenge for new T-Tappers to learn because it is hard to see full fiber muscle activation to come across in a video. But the stronger you get where you brain to muscle connection is working, the words that Teresa says on the video will makes sense (ah-a moment).

Kate
    Queen of Everything plus 3 boys

Comment

Working...
    X