Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what am i doing wrong? arms

Originally posted by Zaamg 02-23-2007, 12:35 PM

I'm currently on a 7 day B/C with Inst. #1 & 2, day 3 right now. My problem is the arm exercises. I used to have neck pain for days that radiated down my left arm. It disappeared a year ago and I've been pain free.

Since starting this bootcamp my neck pain has flared up again. I believe it is the arm exercises because no matter how I try to keep my neck relaxed, the whole neck and shoulder area gets tight and tense. It also seems to be the ones when I'm bent over, esp. the arm airplanes.

I read the arm tips in the newbie must reads and believe that I've been doing them correctly, although it is possible when I go at Teresa's speed that my form is not ideal, esp as I tire.

I don't know if I should just skip these exercises right now or not. The pain is disrupting my sleep, although during the day it's not too bad i just feel stiff in my shoulder area.

I'd appreciate hearing if anyone has had the same problem and what they might've done to ease the tension.

Namaste, Megan

Jillmar
    02-23-2007, 12:46 PM

Hi Megan. My suggestion would be to make sure you are pulling your traps (shoulders) down with your lats. Keep lats tight but don't bring your shoulders up close to your ears. This would go for both the reaching out standing moves and the ones done bent over. You probably are tensing the traps and pulling them up toward your ears.

Try to keep an eye on this and see if it helps. You just need to build your neurokinetic awareness.

Let me know if that helps!

Jill Brightbill
    T-Tapp Trainer

gr8fisch
    02-23-2007, 12:47 PM

ok...a couple of possibilities...

you might have to constantly reengage your lats, tighten bet. your shoulder blades & keep the traps down. do some hitchhikers before you do a lot of other arm moves.

watch your arms in the mirror. make sure you're keeping arms level with shoulders & writst in line with elbows.

lift ribs up, don't let the torso settle into the pelvis. imagine as you tuck your butt & squeeze your butt (Tuck now says "uniglute"), that you're lifting the entire ribcage up, but keep your traps down.

do PBS with a towel if you haven't tried it. do you have the More Workout? it's slower, 4 reps, & attention to form rehabs everything (really!).

& ... you might consider checking a DO or a DC for an adjustment in case all the good work you're doing has rearranged the internal scenery & you don't want to revert to the path of least resistance, i.e., misalignments in the spine often become A LOT MORE OBVIOUS when we're consciously aligning the soft & bony structures properly.

have you had any dental work done lately?

any allergies where you're sneezing or blowing your head off?

i'm thinking the C2 & C3 vertebrae are just a tad off-line & you're working hard to follow teresa.

use some extra alfalfa to reduce inflammation & triple the water to flush out the acids.

also some epsome or seasalt baths to relax the muscles & CRT to move the lymph which may very well be stuck in the neck.

Dantheman
    02-23-2007, 02:43 PM

Hey Megan,
    Being so new to T-Tapp and only in day 3 of your Bootcamp, your form is the first area that we need to be concerned about. So, I would suggest you revisit Instruction #1 and #2. When I say revisit, I don’t mean in a workout mode. I want you to Study the Workout. Concentrate on Teresa’s words and with a heighten level of study on her body movements and positions. This is going to be so enlightening for you. You should look for things like Shoulder-Hip alignment, Foot positions and movements, Knee and Ankle positions, Rounded back or Straight back in a Tucked positions, Arms in alignment with Shoulders, Shoulder-Elbow and Wrist alignment, Hand position on knees or when in a Reaching movement, etc. She is pressed to give each and every direction and form tip in her tapes verbally, but her body is showing you all the things she would love to tell you if you had a ONE-ON-ONE session with her personally. These tapes are a Great Visual training tool.
    Many of us are so excised to get the tapes and start our T-Tapp journey to success that we fail to do our Homework. SO, tonight,,,, it’s study time. Then, in a week or two, schedule another Training session with Teresa’s for your ONE-ON-ONE. I personally know that she will show you a few tips that you had not noticed. T-Tapp is progressive. If the arm movements are keeping you up, Back –OFF. Don’t skip them just do the movements easily and just two or three of each instead of the eight reps. You need to rebuild your Neuro-Kinectic flow pathages. Your muscle imbalance in the Trap region will improve over time and then you will be able to go all out. Again, it’s progressive. Take it easy at first.

The advice given to keep the shoulders back and down is On SPOT! This applies to all T-Tapp moves even in a Flat-back positions.

Dantheman
    Senor T-Tapp Trainer,

Zaamg
    02-23-2007, 06:21 PM

Thanks everyone - those are some great comments.

I'm not new to T-Tapp but it's been a couple of years and I'm relearning via the new Inst. #1 & 2. I haven't moved on to B/R yet. Dan, I will do as you suggest. I read a previous post of yours regarding studying the tapes and taking notes. I will do that one-on-one session with Teresa this weekend.

Today when I do Inst. #2 I will focus on keeping my lats down. Thanks Gr8 and Jill, I believe you may be right that I have been letting them rise. I wish I could afford to get the MORE tapes because in some of the exercises Teresa does seem to go too fast for me. In fact, sometimes I watch the exercise, pause and then do it myself slowly, repeating the form tips in my head. I will do the arms today focusing on keeping lats tight and do less reps if necessary.

I have been practicing keeping my shoulders rolled back throughout the day. I know that my lat area is a neurokinetic pathway that needs developing.

As for seeing a DO and DC, I did 5 years ago and it did not help my neck/arm pain. It actually eased when I did T-Tapp PBS consistently 2 years ago and when I stopped T-Tapp the pain just never came back, until 2 days ago.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will let you know if it helps. [^]

Namaste, Megan

Juniper
    02-23-2007, 06:31 PM

Megan -

Great advice so far! I see lots of people who try to warm their ears with their shoulders.[:0] It's really important to keep those shoulders back and down - don't them them creep up to the ears.

You are right on target with watching Teresa, then pushing the pause button and going at your own speed. Slow and smooth, really work through those movements, and FEEL the muscles work.

Keep up the great work!

Jenny Russell
    T-Tapp Trainer

searcher
    02-23-2007, 07:34 PM

just wanted to add, since I had some problems with my neck and shoulder too, which I associated with the arms section. I finally figured out (I think) that I was tensing upper back muscles too much, I was looking to the right to keep an eye on Teresa during the gorilla part of the move, and then -- and this was really crucial for me -- I finally heard Teresa say "reach with the arms". I couldn't believe the relief when I did this. I reached and the part that was scrunching and in pain loosened up. I've been able to do the arms pain-free for a good 3 months now I think. Hope you figure it out and start enjoying the arms section.

Betsy

Lannette
    02-23-2007, 08:59 PM

Another thing that can help you keep your shoulders down is to think about always extending away from the midline of the body. (This will also result in you engaging more total muscle.)

Imagine that someone has snagged your wrists and is pulling them apart in an effort to yank them right off your body. Do this even when your arms are bent. Take biceps for instance. When your arms are bent pull out from the elbows as if trying to touch the side walls of your workout space with your elbows. When you straighten your arms try to touch the side walls with your hands. You can think, reach hands away, reach elbows away, hands away elbows away.

You can do the same thing with your arms during plies.

Extend your arms enough and you'll find that you can't lift your shoulders.

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH

RoseTapper
    02-23-2007, 11:49 PM

When this has happened to me, it's because I was looking at Teresa or in a mirror when my head should have been DOWN. It's okay to do a little bit of form check, but when you do the actual exercises, you need to keep your head down. The same applies to all other exercises where you see Teresa's head down. Just my two cents' worth.

Laura H. (RoseTapper)

Zaamg
    02-25-2007, 01:38 PM

Wow thanks so much for the further tips. I have done the past 2 workouts, slowing down and really focusing both on tightening my lats throughout (not easy to do), reaching out with my wrists and going slower. It has helped so much.

I no longer have the pain in my neck but cannot believe the amount of stiffness I have each night in my neck and shoulders. I know it must just be new muscles being used but I'll be happier when they're less stiff. It makes my sleep not as sound.

To help with stiffness I've continued with salt bath and PBS before bed and upon waking. I also think I'll do better when I move to EOD (after BC) so my muscles get a little rest.

Everyone's tips are invaluable and now I'm not dreading the arms.

Namaste, Megan

Dantheman
    02-26-2007, 02:52 PM

Megan,
    Would you care to list a few of the "Aha" learnings you picked up on with your One-on-One with Teresa this past weekend?

Dantheman

Lannette
    02-27-2007, 09:03 AM

quote:Originally posted by Zaamg

Wow thanks so much for the further tips. I have done the past 2 workouts, slowing down and really focusing both on tightening my lats throughout (not easy to do), reaching out with my wrists and going slower. It has helped so much.

I no longer have the pain in my neck but cannot believe the amount of stiffness I have each night in my neck and shoulders. I know it must just be new muscles being used but I'll be happier when they're less stiff. It makes my sleep not as sound.

To help with stiffness I've continued with salt bath and PBS before bed and upon waking. I also think I'll do better when I move to EOD (after BC) so my muscles get a little rest.

Everyone's tips are invaluable and now I'm not dreading the arms.
    Namaste, Megan
    Megan, this tightness may be as a result of the stretching and release of tight muscles. It should get better over time but if not you want to re-evaluate your shoulder arm form. You could also think in terms of reaching out from the elbows and the wrists rather than just the wrists. This would support the arm/shoulder area a bit more.

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH

Comment

Working...
    X