X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiona's Korner - the Science of Organs in Place

Originally posted by Kiona 02-08-2010
    Hello all from SNOWY Maryland!

I am all dug out with no place to go. Too many students are still stuck in their neighborhoods so my normal Monday nigth class is cancelled and with another 10-20" predicted starting tomorrow I may not teach again until at BEST Thursday! So here's some great research and information I dug up on the Organs in Place that we all love so much. I know personally it has made a HUGE difference having this little move that CAN!

Secrets to a Flat Belly the Science and other help behind Organs in Place!

While I am affectionately known in my OPN meetings as "The Girl with the Marble A**!" Because of a genuine compliment I received from a dancer friend in December, frequently the women in the meetings and my other travels are much more enamored with my flat stomach than my backside. Well, I tell all my students that this did not come naturally and without a lot of focus and work on my part. The thing that helped the MOST was understanding some of my own health issues and using T-Tapp principles of Organs in Place to help lift and replace everything where it was meant to be. I have put together some in depth information here on the science behind organs in place and how it is not just the key to a flat belly but may also be a VERY important part of really seeing RESULTS with your inch loss.

First I would like to look at the actual science behind a prolapsed colon. [outdated links removed]

As you can see there are issues with the movement through the bowel. If you look at the healthy colon you can see that the waste matter has to make two 90-DEGREE turns to exit the body efficiently. If you think about how much in your car you have to slow down to make a turn like this, you can see how this is not the most efficient design but it's what we have. But the second images show you how those 90 degree turns become HAIRPIN turns when the colon starts to prolapse. Now think about how much even SLOWER you have to go to make that happen, and how you will not get a lot of traffic through there if it is on a road. And think back to the fact that the material moving through there has very little air space so it has to reform itself to move around this hairpin turn. When we gain inches and digestion slows down, the food matter can get stuck in the transverse colon and cause this prolapse to happen. The second prolapsed colon picture is very telling of how much other stuff can get pushed out of place. Raquel is a huge supporter of the idea of getting a colon lift from another person such as Dr. Chad Blaker to help get things moving.

In T-Tapp we have the Organs in Place move both standing and on the floor which are our own do-it-yourself way of doing this and VERY important in getting results. Many of my students know that when I started T-Tapping I did the standing version several times per day to get to my flat stomach goal. It also was a HUGE help for me in alleviating the intestinal pain I had suffered from for years. Teresa explains the move in detail in the Hit the Floor DVD and she talks about how you must move the organs back UP into the rib cage to allow the muscles of the abdominals and pelvic floor to chinch in around them to support and hold them in place. Remember your muscles are your internal girdle and must be kept tight and not have obstacles in order to give you the figure you desire. So make sure and go through your videos and really LEARN this powerful little move, or better yet come out to a class and I'll share the SECRETS to this move I have learned over the years to give you more bang for your buck!

Instead or in addition you can also look to get a slant board for your house to help increase results as well. Here is a great article about the use of a slant board and the contraindications following because it is necessary to be careful when using aslant board.

I would definitely discuss it with your doctor but even a couple minutes a day with your feet and butt up on pillows may make a huge difference in getting that flat belly you are seeking!

Koach Kiona- Senior T-Tapp Trainer

Clarity
    02-08-2010, 06:16 PM

Hello Kiona!

Again sorry for all the snow you have received and you will receive. Happy though that it will stop before Friday night.

It's gonna be so a wonderful time for me to be in one of your class next Saturday! (Maybe someone will call 9-1-1 after to bring me home in Quebec but as long as he is cute, it's fine )

Thank you for the informations regarding OIP. I LOVE to do this exercice. This is the first one I have learned when I started T-Tapp 2.5 weeks ago. Great one.

See you Saturday am ... I'll bring him with me

Johanne

outtathere
    02-09-2010, 06:36 AM

great information - my mom, her sister and my sister all have issues with pressure on their pelvic organs...my sister says it is from wearing control top pantyhose for years...

does anyone know where one might buy a slant board? i've done a search but can find nothing...

Smile*Lee
    02-09-2010, 12:27 PM

Thanks, Kiona. Both mom and mother-in-law have had surgeries because their organs fell. "Fell" as in having to wear a girdle to keep them from falling out. yikes! I don't know if that is common in the "girdle age" when so many wore girdles all the time. Big object lesson as to why you should do OIP/HF.

Val~

Lisa A
    02-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Great info Kiona, thanks!!!

Lisa

faith_ic
    02-10-2010, 08:34 AM

Thanks, Kiona. After all these years I still don't think I'm doing OIP correctly. I continue to try but just can't get it right I think. This explanation helps~

Kiona
    02-11-2010, 06:42 PM

@Clarity - cant' wait to see you! The snow has stopped and it was WARM and sunny today so we can see our ROAD! I am SO excited! You should be fine flying in tomorrow for the classes things should be back to normal, at least at the airport!

@outtathere - I THINK that if you look at that link I listed with the contraindications on slant boards, if you go BACK to the main site they have a spot where you can actually order them. if not, do a Google search on Dr. Bernard Jensen. That is who my Homeopath studied under and his website sells them, you should be able to get one there.

@faith_ic - the slant board makes a big difference and I think the biggest thing is that people have to be willing to really dig in there remembering you CAN'T hurt yourself when you do that. Our organs are a lot more hearty I think than we sometimes think they are and that means you can really get in there with them. And also remember, keep the muscles of the abs as LOOSE as you can when you are tryinig to push the organs around...it's AFTER you have moved them into position you want to tighten the muscles. Frequently whether people are standing or on the floor I notice this is their biggest problem, they are still trying to keep the muscles TIGHT and move the organs at the same time. Makes ALL the difference!

Best of luck to all of us getting those flat tummies! Keep me posted ladies!

Kiona

Clarity
    02-11-2010, 07:01 PM

Woo-Hoo Kiona !

FREE ROAD !yess... this is what I wanted to hear. Just saw on the news that 1400 flight were cancelled ..... Happy to know that I won't visit Philadelphie's airport too long and be in Baltimore for dinner tomorrow night. I am so thrilled to meet you and to do a class saturday (maybe I shouldn't? !... not the meet you part but to do the class )

I thought of it and instead of bringing maple sirop, I found a great shovel as a gift

Call you tomorrow night as soon as I land !

Johanne

Kiona
    02-11-2010, 07:14 PM

Make sure and call the airlines to verify times, but now you know why I said to come in FRIDAY instead! We have THREE airports in this region and all of them were shut down by the storms. BWI luckily is probably the fastest at getting at least SOME stuff open so you should be all set.

I am excited for these classes, I have a feeling they MAY be small because people are still digging out in some spots, but I am going to post them around as much as I can now that we KNOW we will be able to get there and see if I can motivate MANY to come play with us!

See you Saturday!
    Kiona

Clarity
    02-12-2010, 06:23 AM

I called and they all removed the snow for my plane
    So I'll be there tomorrow morning, waiting for you at the hotel.

See ya !!

Johanne
    Last edited by Forum Angel; 04-16-2016, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Kiona
      02-12-2010, 12:28 PM

Wooo hooo I can't WAIT. I hope you have a nice night tonight in Baltimore and find a good place to eat. It looks like we have a nice small class of 3 for you tomorrow so you will get LOTS of individual attention! There is still room for a couple more if anyone is interested!

Kiona

adrianne
      2-14-2010, 11:23 AM

Kiona, how do OIP on the floor compare to OIP standing, in terms of effectiveness? I always assumed that doing this move on the floor was more effective, especially since buttocks are lifted and we can benefit from gravitational pull. I was intrigued when you said that you did OIP STANDING several times a day to achieve a flat stomach. Is it that each of these variations are effective in their own way? One big plus for OIP standing is that it is more on-the-spot doable, especially in situations where it is not easy or possible to get down on the floor.

I have not paid much attention to doing OIP standing except in workouts. However, I know that I would do many more OIP moves if this were an equally effective option.

Thanks so much for sharing this info with us!

pat-nj
      02-14-2010, 07:28 PM

Adrianne, as part of the Challenge, the only OIP I could do were standing (I entered the BWO+ category) and I notice at the end of a month of only OIP standing, that I can feel a difference and definitely see a difference in my abdomen. So I would say OIP standing is worth the time.

Best,

Pat

Kiona
      02-14-2010, 08:18 PM

Adrienne,

It is definitely true that you will feel OIP on the floor more than standing, as well as the gravitiational benefit especially with the lift of the butt. One of the things I wanted to highlight in the post was the IMPORTANCE of that lift to maximize the benefit of OIP on the floor. Frequently in my classes when I teach this move to beginners it is interesting to see how LITTLE people actually raise thier butt and it definitely maks a difference.

The benefit of the different versions of the move are both in the same vein in that they help the brain reconnect to the transverse abdominus (TA) so that it can work as your internal girdle and hold up the internal organs to help us have our flat tummies. This is one of the most important parts of the move itself. One of the main benefits of the standing version is that you can do it several times a day which means that you have several opportunities to re-connect the brain to the body and train the TA. I am a firm believer in doing small incremental things to get RESULTS so you are continually buidling healthy habits. Plus when doing the standing version you have to make sure to FULLY relax the ab muscles as you tilt over to pull the organs in place, this allows you to get closer to the actual organs and pull them into place. While standing you may not actually move any organs expecially if you don't do this technique which takes some practice. But it definitely made a BIG difference because I didn't learn the laying down version for several MONTHS when I started Tapping and saw a difference within weeks using just the standing version 4-6 times per day. (I would do it each time I used the Ladies room.) So in the laying version you do get more actual shifting of the organs but yes it is more difficult to do it several times a day. One thing I also will recommend to my clients if they are not sensative to too much stimulation prior to sleep is they can do the laying down version right before falling asleep because they will STAY laying flat and that allows the organs to stay in place for a longer period of time, and remember the body heals over night so this gives you even more of a chance to have a flat tummie, but this technique WILL depend on if you are able to sleep after and many are not.

Hope this helps give you a little more detail and ideas for getting to your goals!
      Kiona

BlessedMama
      02-14-2010, 08:37 PM

Kiona, thanks for sharing this! I've been wanting to read it for a week, but I knew I needed it QUIET around here and my brain engaged (2 in the morning doesn't work! LOL!) so I could really sink my teeth into it! You always have such a WONDERFUL way of explaining things!

Anxious to hear how Clarity's class with you went!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
      ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
      ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
      -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Kiona
      02-14-2010, 09:27 PM

LOL! I am so glad that you really got to enjoy it! Clarity was SUCH a doll and she REALLY connected wtih one of the other students (they even had teh same name) and they talked for an hour after! I really hope that she had a better trip home than HERE, she got SO delayed, didn't get dinner when she got here and then I was at the wrong hotel picking her up Saturday morning so we ran late to class. Poor thing, but we had a blast in the class and got past where she had done in the workouts so I think she'll have tons mroe questions as she gets int Istruct 2!

Smiles!
      Kiona

adrianne
      02-14-2010, 10:02 PM

Thanks, Kiona. You DO have a wonderful way of explaining things! It all makes sense and even I can understand! I just tried standing OIP and I fully relaxed the abs while tilting and pulling up the organs. It really made a big difference! Thank you for that wonderful tip.

I like the slant board info, also. I have to dig up my slant board and start using it again. I also have an inversion table which I have neglected and I'm going to have to dust it off and start using it again, also.

And thank you Pat for sharing your experience with standing OIP. It is very encouraging.

Kiona
      2-14-2010, 11:36 PM

you got the secret now!

Yup, that secret of TOTALLY relaxing the abs is what most people miss on standing OIP but it makes ALL the difference!! Woo hoo....I had to dig up MY slant board after reading the article too but it makes all the difference!

Keep up the great work everyone!
      Kiona

gelbard
      02-16-2010, 04:03 AM

OIP standing up means doing the Box, or just pushing the organs into place and tightening and releasing?
      Thanks
      Sara

Kiona
      02-21-2010, 11:21 PM

Technically Organs in place is one thing and the Box is separate. You DO get the most benefit from doing the Box with it, but often I dont' have time so I just do OIP. This allows me to at least re-connect the brain to the muscles on several occasions and that connection makes EVERYTHING we do in T-Tapp more effective!

Yay!
      Kiona
      Last edited by Forum Angel; 04-16-2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

homefire
        02-22-2010, 11:35 AM

I'm excited about this information, Kiona. Thank you so much.

I did OIP faithfully every time I worked out (at least 3-4 times a week) for about 8-9 months, but always found it quite painful and didn't see that it was doing anything, so I quit.

I figured there was some aspect of it that I'm not getting, and suspected that something was wrong in there, but I had never heard of a prolapsed colon before. That's a really good fit for what's going on in my body (extreme chronic constipation) and would also explain why OIP was always so very uncomfortable.

I've been T-Taaping for about 3 years now, and everything is toned nicely except for my tummy, which has been a big disappointment to me. You're inspiring me to give it another chance trying the slant boad, and also to do the standing OIP, which I never got much out of before. I think it's just hurried enough on the BWO+ that I wasn't relaxing much. Have to give that a shot.

Thanks for the info!

~Ronda~

Smile*Lee
        02-23-2010, 06:51 AM

Kiona - thanks for the tip on relaxing the tummy muscles while putting OIP Standing. It was a whole different feeling. Interesting.

Val

Last edited by Forum Angel; 04-16-2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X