Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kiona's Korner - TWO Tips for HoeDowns to Really Bust Sugar!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiona's Korner - TWO Tips for HoeDowns to Really Bust Sugar!

Originally posted by Kiona 11/23/2010
    Tis the season to be OVER-indulgent�.tra la la la la�la la la laaaaaah! Okay seriously, it is that time of the year when we ALL are exposed to significantly more sugar, alcohol and goodies than we are any other time of the year. Enjoying the indulgence is part of the festivities but can also result in that standard 6-12 pound weight gain that is standard this time of year as well. Packing on extra inches after working so hard all year to get them off can definitely add to holiday stress so what can we do about it? Within the T-Tapp system one of the most powerful moves to help reduce blood sugar for both diabetics and those who just over do it, is HoeDowns. This powerful little move brings together so many of the amazing benefits of this workout into one sequence that it can really be a life saver!

So how do we get more bang for our buck when doing our HoeDowns? There are several different tips that you can try with your HoeDowns to make them even more powerful and I am going to give you the two primary ones that we have been working on in my weekly classes. I will start with the Monday Class which is doing the Long Lean Legs 4 week series. In the first class of this series, we emphasized the importance of pushing the knee of the supportive leg OUT as you do the move to the side. So to set the move up, you start in T-Tapp stance, toe forward on the supportive leg, knee bent, pulling your belly button to your spine and folding the lower abs in, then tying the shoulder blades to the spine to activate the upper body while pushing the elbows forward and the thumbs back. As you do your hoedowns lifting the leg to the front as normal keeping the supportive knee bent and pushed out to the little toe. However, when you lift the knee to the side with the hand karate chopped to the front, you push the supportive knee out further on each lift. What myself and a class full of students found was that that extra PUSH would further activate the lower abdominals and low back, not just knocking us more off balance by challenging weaker muscles that had been sleeping on the job, but also REALLY amped up the output of the move. We were all drenched with sweat telling us we were burning fat at a premium. Done alone with this technique, all that excess sugar would be GONE! What a great unexpected discover RIGHT in time for holiday indulgence!

My second tip is one that I have used as a teaching aide for a long time for those who are new to HoeDowns. I will teach the Hormonal HoeDowns (known in my classes as the T-Tapp Stomp) FIRST to brand new Fresh Faces to HoeDowns. I find that they are better able to grasp the movement with a smaller less challenging move for the balance and they also learn the importance of the TAP of the ball joint on the floor during the move. With the emphasis on the tap, at the end of one set of �The Stomp� students can usually feel the lymphatic tingle up that side of the body alerting them to the detoxing that is now taking place. They then are aware as they do the full HoeDown move that the ball joint hitting the floor is a part of the move, not just all of us trying not to fall over. When I REALLY need extra lymphatic help, like after this last weekend of dancing, drinking and not sleeping I will do one set of the T-Tapp Stomp BEFORE doing my regular 2 sets of HoeDowns. It is AMAZING what a difference I see in the lymphatic drainage throughout my whole system and help in detoxing and returning to balance quickly! I have been doing this in my Energy Camp classes to help really emphasize the drainage of the lymph.

So try these two tips over the weekend of family, food and fun and see how you feel Monday morning? Do you feel like you still have a whole turkey in you, or are you back to your same self. Couple sets of these throughout the day can make all the difference. I will even pause my workout to add that T-Tapp Stomp in before Teresa does the HoeDowns! Works like a charm!

Koach Kiona- Senior T-Tapp Trainer
    The Dancin' Senior T-Tapp Trainer,Certified in Everything T-Tapp - Total,Floor,More, Ladybug WOs, YYC and CRT System

goddess in training
    11-24-2010, 06:21 AM

Thanks Kiona! I am not sure I understand the stomp part - do you mean literally stomping? Could you explain a little more?

susanc

Kiona
    11-24-2010, 10:01 AM

No, the STOMP part of the move is just a nickname because when you get a ROOM of people doing it, especially on a tile or hard wood floor, it SOUNDS like stomping. The emphasis IS on actually FEELING the ball joint of the foot hit the ground, it doens't have to be hard, but it does have to be deliberate. The ball joint hitting the floor is what actually helps release the lymph up the leg and moves it at a maximum. Also, when people are new to HoeDowns, frequently they seem to think that they are a BALANCE exercise and don't put importance on the actual tap of the foot as it comes down. I have seen people plenty of tiems do the move trying to either not touch or barely touch the toe at all, which is not correct. The T-Tapp Stomp as we call it, helps them learn that the foot hitting is just as important as the rest of the move and in many ways MORE important for releasing lymph through the body. When you do the lower lift and emphasize the tap, you often feel the tingle of lymph moving when you are done which connects the brain and body to HOW the move works rather than just kicking your butt like full HoeDowns do.

A good way to try the correct amount of impact is try doing the regular HoeDowns once you have lifted the leg to waist high, just release the belly and leg muscles to let the leg fall to the ground so the ball joint hits. This is a definite tap of the ball joint but not more than the body should be able to handle. Then, when you are not lifting the leg so high you have to use more muscle to press down, but not much. I had a gentleman in class last night with a bad ankle and he has to be very careful not to over do it.

Hope that helps clarify the terminology!
    Kiona

MargieK
    11-24-2010, 11:44 AM

So the "stomp" is simply allowing your toe to touch the floor?

Sorry... I'm not a "newbie," but I've never heard this term before.

libaide
    11-24-2010, 12:47 PM

I am trying to figure this out also! Have many dvd's but only do the hoe-downs. I have read this forum for a few years, have the book. I will never master anything if I just read here and don't do anything.LOL I am so unco-ordinated, still working on PBS. I WILL get there someday. Thanks for all the tips.

gretchikin
    11-24-2010, 12:53 PM[

Great tips, Kiona!

The "stomp" is the ball joint tapping the floor. It's very lymphatic and helps rid the body of toxins and gets that lymph moving. There's also a "stomp" in Reach/Scoops (the move after Plies), so make sure you're tapping the floor there for the full benefit too.

Greta

JoniGO
    11-24-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Kiona View Post
    Hope that helps clarify the terminology!
    Kiona

Thank you! That did hellp. I'm glad to know we actually are to tap (aka stomp) our foot on the down part of the HD. :-)

Kiona
    11-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Greta is correct, the "Stomp" is just the ball joint hitting the floor. My students gave the move that name when we all did it together the first time and it sounded like we were stomping with so many people all together on a hard floor. It's kind of a colloquial term to my students, but they all know what I mean. The move IS actually featured at the END of "From My Home to Your Home" in the T-Tapp MORE DVD. Teresa does it after the regular HoeDowns, I reversed the order from the DVD for teaching newbies and found it to be very lymphatic that way so I kept it.

Tappy Thanksgiving!
    Kiona

masikka
    11-24-2010, 03:59 PM

I did the deeper bend, knee out, tuck harder with each lift to the side this morning with my BWO+ hoedowns. I really felt it in my abs and could actually only get through both sides once, it ramped up my intensity that much. Thanks, Kiona!
    SeanyseanUK
    12-13-2010, 08:55 AM

Can't wait to try this. Another thing which helped me was I got Michelle to form check me when I did Hoe Downs (after Teresa mentioned something to her about my form). On the second part of Hoe Downs, when your lifting the leg to the side, Michelle told me to aim it as though my leg was actually going to go out past my hip (but mentioning it wasn't physically possible but just to aim for it) and I tell you that took things up a whole new notch for me). Up until that point I had been raising my leg out to the side, but kind of had been doing it in line with my hip, whereas as soon as I tried to get it past that hip line (and I had been caught on camera it would have been like spot the difference) the muscle activation was way way more than ever. That in conjunction with Kiona's tip about brushing before and after workouts - yikes soreness maximised!!!

BlessedMama
    12-13-2010, 11:17 AM

Yeah, that aiming behind the hip really takes it up a notch!

It also helps me to think "open out from the hip" when I'm doing the side lifts. It truly is a concentrated effort to bend deeper, tuck/curl, lift ribs, engage abs, open from the hip....whew! Makes me sweat just to type all that!

editing to add--Sean, I think it was YOU that put me onto Kiona's brush before you work out tip! Thanks!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

just7
    12-13-2010, 11:46 AM

You know, I read Sean's tip and thought 'I MUST remember to do that during HDs'.

Then I read your's, Trisch, and I got this visual of how 'opening the hip' really means you have to do it from the abs, don't you? At first I was thinking, push knee out to wall. But no, abs engage---open that hip!!!

Jennifer

BlessedMama
    12-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Yep! You got it!

And that also means you HAVE to bend that standing knee a little deeper! If you watch Teresa on Step Lifts (I think that's it) towards the end of TWO, you will see her bend that standing knee even a tad more while lifting the opposite leg. Really helps engage those abs!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Leese
    12-13-2010, 05:22 PM

I just did hoedowns with your tweaks and YIKES! Thanks for taking the time to post them!

Lisa

Callicrowe
    12-13-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by BlessedMama View Post
    It also helps me to think "open out from the hip" when I'm doing the side lifts. It truly is a concentrated effort to bend deeper, tuck/curl, lift ribs, engage abs, open from the hip....

OK, I'm not getting this "open out from the hip". Can someone say it a different way that I might get?

Peggy

signlady52
    12-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Well, I'm no expert on this as I just tried it myself, but as you aim for behind the hip line, that in itself helps to open out the hip area (or groin area) even more & I can really see how that can be so lymphatic as that is one of the drainage points. But I can't remember if I was pushing the opposite knee out more (guess I'll have to do another set to check or practice!) Before with side lifts I wasn't even close. I had to slow it down & really concentrate to do it though. So maybe with practice I can do it to speed. Probably a LOT of practice!

- Shari

BlessedMama
    12-13-2010, 08:13 PM

Peggy, many of us are thinking "aim knee behind hip" and without thinking about it, you can actually be using more thigh and glutes to get it up and "back" there (it's not really, but you're aiming that way). Shari's right--slow it down a bit, maybe even hang onto a chair or something as you go slowly and think about what you're doing. When you get ready to switch to the side to lift, stop, think to bend the standing knee a bit more, engage the abs and slowly open to the side from the groin area/hip vs. just whipping that leg over there.

Does that help?

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Callicrowe
    12-13-2010, 08:45 PM

Nope, still not getting it, but that's OK. I'll keep trying. One day it'll be "AHA!" and in the meantime I'll be getting in a lot of HDs!

Peggy

BlessedMama
    12-13-2010, 09:13 PM

LOL!

Well, when I focus on opening from the hip, I can actually "open" wider than just thinking leg to the side and lift. Yes, you'll get lots of practice on it in the meantime!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

ayj67
    12-13-2010, 10:46 PM

Do the side lift separately, just the side lift by itself. Pretend you are a ballerina doing those side lift and stretch, with just point the side lift knee to the back wall.

If you cannot stand stable enough, try lying on the floor and do the crab claw open legs, or the so call half point, or the full frog, but aiming not to finish the circle, try pressing the knee to the floor.

Alternatively, think thread the needle leg out, slower, and further to the back wall.

I probably confuse you worse...

mav
    12-14-2010, 04:35 AM

Thanks for the tip Kiona, and all the input that clarified it. Sometimes we get in a rut, doing same old same old, pushing to the max and working hard but missing important points of perfection.

I noticed during the HD Showdown live event that, hey, they weren't lifting to the side any farther back than I do, but didn't stop to rethink my form. Now I know what I should have been doing, that I put the emphasis in the wrong place, and this morning really feel my abs. Will add stomps before and after HDs today.

Love this forum!

Mav

just7
    12-14-2010, 05:50 AM

I don't know if this will help or not, Peggy. Like Trisch said---I used to think about pushing my knee on that side lift. All the motion was in my knee/thigh. Seeing as HDs are supposed to be actually activated from the abs, I see now that my focus needs to be different. Soooo---side lift----abs, groin, inner thigh----open that up. The core is curled and the whole motion comes right from the center-----open the area.

Jennifer

cbuffy
    12-14-2010, 07:58 AM

And it seems to me that somewhere Teresa mentioned torqueing with your opposite hand to help you get a good thorasic twist. When you are lifting to you side she puts a little extra push away with the opposite hand... I can "see" her... she's in her living room..... LOL

Cbuffy

Callicrowe
    12-14-2010, 09:55 AM

Cbuffy... I just saw that same workout where T is torquing using the hand. Now which one was it?

Peggy

cbuffy
    12-14-2010, 10:00 AM

Lately I have only done BWO, BWO Tempo, and Beginner Rehab (first part...) But I can't swear it's something I saw recently...

Cbuffy

Callicrowe
    12-14-2010, 10:07 AM

I remember now what I was thinking of... it's in Instructional 2 when Teresa is teaching TTN. When she talks about bringing the leg up in the second half of the "U", she mentions using the hands pushing the opposite direction (torque) to help get the knee behind the shoulder.

Peggy
    Last edited by Forum Angel; 03-23-2016, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X