Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hands in Oil Wells

Originally posted by myCelia 12-12-2006, 01:48 PM

I have a question about form for Oil Wells. In the book, Teresa doesn't mention using any resistance with the hands (like she does with TTT). However, in the archives, I've read that some folks either pull hands away (with thumbs locked) or press hands together, as in TTT to help engage the lats better. Is this an advanced tweak for Oil Wells? I ask because the couple of times I've tried either way of resistance, something always pinches in my neck, especially during the spinal roll-up. I concentrate on keeping the head relaxed and shoulders back and down so I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if it's just too soon to add this resistance, if at all. Any advise? TIA!

Derya

Heather73
    12-12-2006, 02:10 PM

Hi, Derya.

I don't have any suggestions, but for the first 2 months of Instr.1/BWO+, I did not use any resistance, and just recently began pressing my hands together during this move. I do feel it much more strongly in my upper back when I press.

I have assumed this is good, but maybe you are pinching a nerve when you do it?

~ A Happy Tapper! ~

myCelia
    12-12-2006, 03:11 PM

Heather,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The pinch has to be due to bad form because I get adjusted every two weeks and along with T-Tapp (been at it for 8 months now), my neck and back have never felt better. I was hoping to master a new level with this move but perhaps the resistance is too much for me right now so I'll resume the hand clasp, but try to keep the arms tight without the resistance.

Still, I'm curious which form of resistance should be used if I ever do reach that level.

Derya

Dantheman
    12-12-2006, 04:31 PM

Hi MyCelia,
    Isometric Contractions for this move are present in multiple areas. First the hands; I suggest since you are at this level that you Press them together on the first set and Pull them apart on the second set. This isometric contraction is held throughout the move!

Back and Shoulders: As you reach through and relax the head hands are pointing downward. If you only had three more inches of reach you could touch the floor. As you come back forward engage your lats, use your lats and lower-back muscles to Slowly PULL yourself into a Fatback position with shoulder back and down and Butt to the ceiling. If you are really looking to maximize the move, From Flatback, it’s slowly PRESS your Chest down keeping Lats engaged and then REACH through and down, relaxed head and then start moving back to flat back. Re-engage those Lats lower-back muscles and PULL your self into Flatback.

On Roll-up: Hands are still engaged in isometric contractions. Keep you lats engaged and you Tuck up. Hands are eight press out or pressing in but they are also reaching down and you have to Pull them up slowly to overhead position for overhead pumps.

Feet: Press the BIG BALL JOINT and Lift the Big Toe. I know you know all about this! Ha! Ha! But do it and let the shins and outside of the calves connect to the Neuro-kinectic pathways. Your brain will let you know they are talking.

Have FUN!!

Dantheman

HF
    12-12-2006, 05:02 PM

Derya, I'm glad you asked this question; I'd never thought about it before, but now reading what Dantheman explained, I'm going to get isometric next time. Thank you, both of you!

Helena

myCelia
    12-12-2006, 05:59 PM

Thanks, Dan! Very helpful tips. I think I know where my problem lies when I get that pinch in my neck - correct me if I'm wrong. When my arms are in dive position during the roll-up, I'm doing the PBS dive, where the elbows are behind the ear and I'm reallllly reaching like someone's pulling my arms. Well, doing this also brings my shoulders up to my ears and I also lose the lat engagement. Combine this with the added resistance and OUCHIE!

So, at least for Oil Wells, shoulders should ALWAYS be back and down to keep lats engaged when reaching through the legs AND the dive during the roll-up, right? I'm going to give it a try in a couple of days - still a little tender from the adjustment yesterday. [:I]

Oh yeah, BBJ, thanks a lot Dan *sigh*, I'm developing holes in my shoes now. And yes, I've trimmed the toe nails already. [ ]

Hiya Helena! *waving*

Derya

jmp002
    12-12-2006, 06:33 PM

I swear Dan can take a simple move and wring every ounce of sweat out of you with it! Will be taking your advice Dan, and snorkling up!

Janine
    Hummelstown PA

Dantheman
    12-12-2006, 07:15 PM

Hi MyCelia,
    For the PBS drive move, Tuck your chin when reaching out. That should help relieve you from the "pinch".

HEY YOU jmp002.. I am still keeping my eye on you!

Dantheman

myCelia
    12-13-2006, 12:17 PM

Dan, I want to make sure I have this right (sorry if I'm being a pain [ ]). So, the PBS dive is correct during the roll-up of Oil Wells? Then start engaging lats as you reach the top of the roll-up? When I've done the roll-up the PBS dive way, I do keep chin tucked and experience no pinch unless I incorporate the added resistance. So, if this is the correct way to do it, perhaps I'm not strong enough to add the resistance during the roll-up. [V] One of these days, I'd love to attend one of your clinics. Just promise you won't put me through another 15-minute PBS! [} ][ ][ ]

Derya

Dantheman
    12-13-2006, 01:51 PM

Hi Derya,
    I am glad you are being persistent with this. I guess I didn’t understand well enough until now what you are doing. Are you saying that you are holding a dive position in your Oil Well Rollup’s?
    If that is correct, then lets change that right now! Don’t Rollup in a dive position!

As you complete the 8th rep, you are in a Flat-back position with shoulder back and down and hands Pressed under and in alignment with shoulders (either in or out) with Lats engaged and Lower-back Tight, Butt to the ceiling. Then start your Tuck up, as you Tuck up allow your hands to come in closer to your body, keeping Lats tight but arching back up one vertebra at a time and hand reaching down. Begin Tucking butt and Pressing Lower-back as you come up. After you have Shoulder-Hip alignment, secure your tuck and press the lower-back. You continue to PULL the arms up. As your hands come up and close to your body, the back of your hands should be visible at eye level with fingers pointing up to ceiling and just a about 4-6 inches off your nose. Continue until hands are just over your head. Reset shoulders (Back and down) and position arms behind ears and do arm Pumps (slow and to your MAX first set, then quick second set!).

Does this HELP!

A Clinic! REALLY! I don't know when I could fit one in. There has been a little bit of discussion about one with some other trainers, but nothing solid yet. If and when it does develop, it will be posted here for all to view. Thank you for your inspiration. I will have to see where others are with this effort. But if I do have one, you can bet that there will be a heavy concentration of ISOMETRIC CONTRACTIONS!

Dantheman

myCelia
    12-13-2006, 03:07 PM

Yes! Thanks, Dan. I've got a better understanding of this move now. In addition, I just learned something else I was doing wrong. After the last reach through the legs, I was tucking butt too soon and in fact, I'd tuck butt and start the roll-up simultaneously instead of getting into flat-back and locking the lats first.

Well, just a case in point for 'reading' the videos, eh? I think I have some homework tonight.

Derya

Dantheman
    12-13-2006, 04:38 PM

Thanks Great! I LOVE reading my DVD's. Study well!

Dantheman

Comment

Working...
    X