Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I detest TTT!

Originally posted by justkim 11-29-2006, 11:00 AM

But it's not going to keep me from mastering it. My form is improving, but I'd appreciate some suggestions. I still lose tuck, but know how to correct that. My problem is keeping my shoulders while reaching down to the side. For example, if I twist to the left, my right shoulder is higher and not level. I've tried pulling on the right thumb, but still not level. Also, have a question about PBS. When I try to clasp hands and rotate shoulders, I get sharp pains in elbows. (The part that is closest to torso.) I've used the towel method, same sensation. I'm concerned because it's been five months with little increase in flexibility. I'd like to get the maximum benefits of the lymphatic pumping and PBS. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kim

brngckn
    11-29-2006, 11:13 AM

Are you a shorter torso by any chance? TTT is really hard for we rib-to-hip impaired. [ )] As you roll down, try straightening both arms and REACH for the back of the heel.

If your elbow are bothering you, you may need to engage lats more. Think pinching at the bra clasp point or ice cube down the back. Also think "lift ribs" to open the chest more.

Kirsten, Senior T-Tapp Trainer

6littlelambs
    11-29-2006, 11:17 AM

I've been doing TTT with a broom. I have the same shoulder problems you are having and keeping my lats engaged. WHOA! The broom prevents me from going over very far at all, but it sure is keeping those shoulders aligned. Also because I know I can't think about bending over much, it has helped me concentrate more on keeping my hips forward and butt tucked. BIG improvement.

Renee

MonkeyGirl
    11-29-2006, 12:25 PM

I have always had a hard time with TTT, too, but I think I'm finally getting it (or at least getting closer!) after attending the trainer certs two weeks ago. Over and over we heard "straighten those arms!" as we reached down in TTT. Now that I'm back home and working out near a mirror, I can see that if I really straighten my arms and keep my thumbs linked together, my shoulders stay square and level.

It's still a challenge to keep my tuck and my hips forward, but at least I now know that the straight arms are key to keeping my shoulders square.

~summer

justkim
    11-29-2006, 12:33 PM

Thanks Dahlings! [:X]
    Will work on those tips. Yes, I'm a short torso so I try to consider those physiological challenges. Someone once said that if you don't like a particular move, that you really need to do it. My goal is to perfect it till I love it and reap the benefits!

Thanks for your tips and encouragement,
    Kim

MomAtHome
    11-29-2006, 12:33 PM

About PBS - When we saw the newsclip on Heather teaching her classes, I was amazed seeing the camera view of Heather from the back, in a strappy top, as she clasped her hands behind. I had the lightbulb moment that her elbows weren't holding the clasp, her back muscles were. Her mid-back was obviously tensed tight.

Kim, do you mean the inside of the elbow, which might be touching the body as you have your arms relaxed at sides? I had an injury there (knocked it on the metal "return" thingie of a self-closing screen door as I hopped down the steps - ouch) and can forget it most of the time but do notice it, (like a bruise but nothing's there) sometimes during T-Tapping. If that's the spot, I guess I can at least tell you I know that spot can hurt! [:0]

*´¨)
    ¸.• ´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•'* M. H.

maggie54
    11-29-2006, 12:58 PM

Just wanted to add: I also seem to "hate" that move and I am also a shorter torso. I think part of my problem with it is watching Teresa and feeling like shes getting a certain physical satisfaction from her long reach...and so somehow feeling like I'm not doing it right and not feeling the same satsifaction (Like a good dumbell curl, if you will) I always feel more like I'm straining than anything else.
    SO now, rather than trying to reach farther than I can possibly go with my short torso and feeling frustrated, I focus on going to my limit without straining and then focusing on all the muscles that are activated when I do that...I know it's the move that has helped take an inch off my upper torso...so I focus a lot there....then it doesn't feel so frustrating to me.

If that's any help,

Maggie[:I]

mythreechildren2001
    11-29-2006, 01:48 PM

I feel your pain. I'm a short torso, and this move absolutely gives me fits!! I get so frustrated and usually give up in the middle and then try to start back up before she's done the last one. It's so uncomfortable because of the bone on bone to the point that I dread that move before I even start the workout.[:I]

Deborah

Dantheman
    11-29-2006, 01:58 PM

Hi Kim,
    Boy, do I know what you mean about the difficulty of maintaining shoulders level in this move. I tried everything. And for the longest time I was only able to master this while standing in front of a mirror. T-Tapp is progressive, and I am constantly learning. One hour prior to my LB certification I discovered a method that has helped me immensely. I hope you find it just as helpful.

As you twist to the opposite side for two, Tucking and Pressing the lower back, and maintaining Lat engagement with rib cage lifted, hips forward, KLT with a Deep knee bend, Leading elbow at or slightly above shoulder height. You twist around to the other side. Stop here, this is the Trick, Your eyes are on the elbow, elbow up, Lats still engaged, Legs are tight, tucking and pressing lower back, shoulders are Square and level, RIGHT! Ok, Just ,, Hold everything tight, and do a slight BOW forward and move your eyes to the inside crease of the elbow. Shift your weight to the bending side leg and press KLT to the opposite knee. Your hips will do a slight shift, which is OK. Just don’t let them move more than that little bit. Your hands are aligned across your chest and under your chin. Start reaching down, and move your eyes to the middle of your forearm, Your shoulders have not moved and lats are still engaged, reach deeper and move your eyes to your wrist and then reach it down to your max, relax your head and eyes to the floor, hands are pointing back a bit behind the heal. TUCK and PRESS the lower back and bring it up the same way as you went down. Engage lats and keep the eyes fixed on the arm as you come up.

Isometric TIP~~ Press those hands (up on the bottom hand and down on the top hand) together and maintain as much tension across your back and arms as you can. Keep this isometric tension all the way through the move even during the reaching down and up movements!
    It worked for me and for everyone in the class.

PBS Arm Pumps:
    Kim, use a towel. Space hands out to the point where you can straighten them keeping a strong and straight wrist without Pain. Then Inhale, Exhale and begin to point the thumbs to you butt. Inhale, Exhale and twist them out to the sides and back as far as you can. Keep the elbows and wrist straight and strong. Don’t let your hands flex or bend at the wrist and Press DOWN! As you get stronger you can begin to bring the hands closer together to they are shoulder width apart.

Isometric TIP! When doing the Arm Pumps, Press arms DOWN, Press hand out to the side wall, and SLOWLY Press arms backwards. This is a three dimensional PRESS, Hands out, arms down and back. Do it slowly,, Press in all three directions, Press back, back to your max and Now slowly Pull the arms back to the butt. Do TWO REALLY slow then TWO quick!

Dantheman
    T-Tapp Trainer,
    Middletown, De.

justkim
    11-29-2006, 03:49 PM

Wow,
    More great advice. Lots to consider and will try them out. MomAtHome, think that's an A-ha moment. Will work on engaging lats. I think that I'm putting pressure on the elbow joint instead and stressing the ligaments/muscles. You're right, it's a tender area. Dantheman, stellar advice as usual. That form tip goes into my personal achives and a printout will be kept next to my tapes. Maggie, I agree, it would be great to have greater range, thanks for your advice. Mythreechildren 2001, consider it a TTT grudge match! Short torsos unite! We're going to master this manuever, end of story!

Thank you all.
    Kim

catzrule
    11-29-2006, 03:58 PM

Kim, I tried TTT (T-Tapp Torture Twist) last night with a broom and I could only been over maybe 2 inches (I'm a short torso as well), but my shoulders were very square. I feel like I've been doing it all wrong without the broom and it feels totally different. If this is the right way, though, I'm gonna keep doing it. I really do freeze my hips, but the tip that Dan just wrote, I need to work on, leaning into the leg I'm bending toward.

At least we're all frustrated together and working toward a common goal. I really do love these boards and the great people that post here.

--Cheryl

Dantheman
    11-29-2006, 03:58 PM

Kim,
    I was editing my repley when you posted. Go back and read my latest updates.

Dantheman

justkim
    11-29-2006, 04:01 PM

Printing revised version.

Thanks,
    Kim

aj
    11-29-2006, 04:09 PM

Dan, I never thought about stretching my arms down while doing PBS. I'll try it next time. With my back pain, I need all the stretching I can sneak in.

BTW TTT is my Favorite move!

April

jennpleez
    11-29-2006, 05:44 PM

Wow! Major enlightenment here! (again, I know)[:I] This move is one I've hated so far, but I always keep thinking that once I *get* it it'll prolly be one of my faves. LOL

I'm printing this out ~ Thanks for the gift Dan!
    ANd thanks for bringing this up again Kim!

*joining the short torso band of sisters*

Jenn

Comment

DrW
      11-29-2006, 06:38 PM

Kim,
      what great suggestions! thanks for starting this thread. I struggled with this and started sitting down to keep from twisting my hips- after that I added a broom. Sometimes, I still use a broom sitting just to be sure I have gotten all the musles fully engaged... the other thing I did is let my arms slip up (and totally lose the lat engagement). When I start, before going side to side.... I hold my hands clasped in front at my nose and slowly lower them until I feel the muscles, then I move to the side....

Cheryl,
      I used to call it Ttapp twitch, because with any form at all, a twitch described my range of motion!.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
      W

jennpleez
      11-29-2006, 07:48 PM
      quote:I used to call it Ttapp twitch, because with any form at all, a twitch described my range of motion!.
      LOL

Jenn

BFranke
      11-29-2006, 08:06 PM

Thanks Dan. I was unable to join in you when you did your Cert's workout, and this is prolly as close as I can get!
      Going to try this when I do my BWO+ this evening.
      Thanks again,
      Bette

split_rock
      11-29-2006, 08:56 PM

I have to be the weirdest short torso but I absolutely love this move probably because I can feel the stretch all along the opposite side and up & down my back and that feeling is what I concentrate on when I do this move. I figured out how to square my shoulders a few months ago. Part of it is visual for me - I visually see my shoulders squared as I twist. Part of it was that I was bending too far to the side and not continuing to hold my shoulders back.

Carmen

Lannette
      11-29-2006, 09:54 PM

Tons of great ideas. I'd like to suggest that you practice the move while seated in a chair without arms. You can actually practice any of the moves or form fine tuning suggested while seated.

When you sit in a chair in linear alignment the chair holds your lower body alignment which allows you to concentrate upon and really feel your upper body alignment. Once you get a good mind/body feel for what your muscle are doing you can stand up and practice it standing.

You want to be certain that you sit forward in the chair so your back muscles can work. Knees extend forward out of hips and ankles fall below knees. Toes are straight ahead and root your feet into the ground thinking of lifting toes and rooting outer feet and ball of heel then press the ball joints of the great toes down finally spread your toes as w-i-d-e as you can and rest them on the floor. Slightly tuck your tail or at least "plump" your bottom by tightening your glutes. Elongate your spine by imagining a 2" sponge spacer between each and very vertebra. Feel yourself grow up and stack your shoulders over your hips and your head over your shoulders. Pull shoulder blades back and down but rotate shoulders back and around a few times to be sure they aren't clenched. Lift your arms up with elbows out and stretch your elbows sideways as if you're trying to tough the side walls with them. The trick is to set up a great battle between keeping the shoulder blades back and down and the elbows trying to pull them out. Try not to let your anterior delt (front shoulder) involved, rather take it into the triceps more if you must.

Now slow and steady and experimentally spin to the right. How far did you get? I bet it was less than you thought it would be. That's because between the chair stabilizing your lower body and you sequentially contracting all those muscles you eliminated the cheat factor. It's ok though because you'll get double out of the move with the cheat removed. No set up again and go to the side but this time once you arrive draw in a deep belly breath and imagine your pushing that air into all the tight spots that keep you from twisting. Exhale and wring it out as you twist a bit further. Repeat it all on the other side.

Now you can set up each side again and this time inhale and exhale as you drop down to the side and instead of just rolling up force yourself to imagine pulling each and every vertebra up and over to stack it on the one below. This is near impossible to feel so it will be more of a mental thing but it sill slow you down and force you to roll up super s-l-o-w-l-y which is going to give the move a chance to get deep into the connective tissue more so than it would if you just rolled right up. If you really want to get deep pull one vertebra up and over as you exhale then stay and inhale deeply and pull another up as you exhale, stay and inhale slowly and deeply and pull the next while exhaling and on and on until you up to the tippy top.

The fun thing is that you can practice this any time you have a chair available. Well and maybe some privacy. [:I] It's not only helpful if you want to take your TTT to a new level but is a great way to bust stress when you're stuck at a desk. Between the right/left brain stimulation and the deep concentration on yourself it gives you a break from your cares.

Lannette
      T-Tapp Trainer NH

bqee
      11-30-2006, 07:39 PM

Hello,

Glad to know that I'm not the only one that detests TTT. And I think I'm a combo/lt tendencies so I don't think I have much of a real excuse. Athough, I do have back and neck problems which may contribute to my lack of mobility.

No matter what I do, I just CANNOT get it! I'm often confused as to WHERE EXACTLY AND ON WHICH SIDE I'm suppose to feel it. I've done numerous searches and poured over all the tips of the TT (including using the broom) but to no avail.

Can somebody tell me, when dipping to the LEFT, WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO BE FEELING IT EXACTLY ON MY RIGHT SIDE? HIP? SIDE OF WAIST? BACK? BUTT? And what if I'm feeling it on my left side waist, is that wrong?

Thank you kindly for tolerating my TTT vent.

justkim
      11-30-2006, 07:43 PM

Good question. I like to know what muscles are worked during an exercise. It seems to help with my form. Going to check my Fit and Fabulous book to find the answer. If I find it, I will pass it on.

Kim

Tamra
      03-05-2007, 03:38 AM

I also detested this move I could not do it properly and my shoulders were never level with once shoulder much higher than the other – exactly the way Teresa is pictured in the book when she shows typical mistakes when doing this move.

Having read this thread carefully, I started doing TTT with all these great tips in mind and finally I am able to keep my shoulders square and almost ideally level. I love this move and I can feel a wonderful stretch in the midsection as well as in my back.

Do not laugh at me but I do this move even while I sleep

Thanks again for the awesome tips!

♦Tamara♦
      Trainer-in-Training, Tbilisi, Georgia

triciajenn
      03-05-2007, 10:42 AM

Just curious. how in the world are you doing this with a broom?

catzrule
      03-05-2007, 11:28 AM

Lay the broom across your shoulders behind your head and grasp the ends of the broom with your hands as far out as you can (almost like being in the stocks for punishment. Nice visual huh)...

--Cheryl

triciajenn
      03-06-2007, 04:52 PM

Is the use of the broom supposed to help teach you to keep your shoulders square? How do you do the bend part with the broom like this?

catzrule
      03-06-2007, 05:24 PM

Since the broom is on the back of your shoulders, you do the TTT the same way except you aren't reaching your arms down to the sides. You still twist to one side and then over to the other and bend down with the broom on your shoulders, arms holding on to the ends.

Does that help?

--Cheryl

Dieting makes you look good in clothes, exercise makes ya look good nekkid!

laketrash
      03-09-2007, 04:15 PM

Without meaning to hijack thos post, am I the only Tapper who thinks that anyone who completes Dantheman's workouts is either a glutton for punishment or Tapper Extraordinaire! Just reading his tips wear me out.

Gwen

gr8fisch
      03-09-2007, 04:35 PM

hey - any guy who can tell a person how to read a dvd & get value out of the experience is way ahead of the game.... given that i'm also remotely challenged, he ought to include a manual for the darn dealy so i can figure out how to press pause without starting from scratch...

Tamra
      03-11-2007, 10:48 AM

I just want to once again thank all for the form tips. I am happy to say that following these tips I not only changed my attitude to TTT but also - withing several days - have seen progress in my performance. Today I was able to reach easily a bit below my knee (I am LT), keeping the shoulders square and level and my arms straight!!! I e-n-j-o-y-e-d every second of it!

♦Tamara♦

Comment

Working...
      X