Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't figure it out!

Originally posted by sucpase 05-07-2006, 01:15 AM

I have been doing Awesome Legs for about a week and I am sure I am not doing them right cause I don't really feel it doing anything. Does anybody have a way of explaining AL's to me? I have the POP video but still not gettin it?

sammy tee

Annegettinfit
    05-07-2006, 03:05 AM

What works for me is to think that my toes are trying to touch the ceiling and then on the cross, cross part when the legs are coming towards each other think that someone is pressing to keep from coming together and then when they are going apart think that someone is trying too keep them close together.

Annegettinfit.

sk8rgrrl
    05-07-2006, 10:55 AM

This one is easy to just think that momentum will get the job done. You have to keep your legs tight all the time, meaning REALLY point with the toes, and alternately, really pull the toes up and push the heels down for the flat-footed position (this means heels would be pointing up to ceiling, and toes would be pointing to you on the ground). Think about placing the foot where you want it to go rather than relying on momentum and just flopping or flinging the legs where you want them to go. You should be striving to keep your butt tucked in this position, which is hard to do (I think) but makes a big difference in how you feel it in your abs.

When you're doing the cross/cross/cross part, when your legs are crossed and knees out (the lowest part of that movement), really push your knees out and apart as far as you can--thinking that someone is physically pushing them with their hands.

Doing the movement without stopping (such as in the POP) is more effective, to me, so learn the move and try to do it without having to watch Teresa.

This is an intense move for me (and don't get me started on DD!! Yipes!!!). Let me know if you want me to clarify anything. You might want to do a search for Awesome Legs or AL, or see if there are tips on http://www.geocities.com/dyfalck/t-tapptips.html.

BIG HUGS!

--Jen

abzoeh
    05-07-2006, 12:00 PM

Maybe Dan the Man will get on here and give you some pointers.

The key to this move is having your leg muscles tight the entire time. So for reference, when you are standing up, tighten your leg muscles. All of them, your butt, your thigh, your calf. That is the feeling you are going for, like your legs are sloshing through concrete, not just flying through the air.

Another tip that I find useful is to put a rolled up towel under your butt in the small of your back. This helps get your legs straight and in the right place if you aren't strong enough/flexible enough to do it on your own. I always feel it more when I do it with the towel.

Oh, Dan the Man, wherefore art thou???

Just keep Tapping...just keep Tapping...

Ally

gingerb
    05-07-2006, 05:32 PM
    Heck, the secret has already been given to you. Tighten every single muscle in your legs all the freaking time.

sucpase
    05-07-2006, 06:36 PM

Okay, whateva!

sammy tee

gingerb
    05-07-2006, 06:41 PM

Excuse me? [?] You asked for help, I'm trying to give it.

Seriously, though, that *is* the key for AL success. Tightening those legs muscles, really, from abs to buns to toes, as it's a heck of an ab workout as well. Reeeeeeach for ceiling with your feet. Don't flop the legs, place them deliberately. Kind of like arms, as you must have contraction and deliberate movements.

The towel tip that Ally gave you is stellar as well. Some people have a hard time getting their legs straight and this helps.

Best of luck,

ginger

sucpase
    05-07-2006, 06:58 PM

Thanks Ging for the great tips, I will try them tonight before I go to bed. P.S. I was jokin ya! You always crack me up. Thank you everybody for the great tips,Now puttin them together will be the trick.

sammy tee

Dantheman
    05-08-2006, 02:54 PM

Hello Ladies,
    I am too busy to share ALL my AL's secrets(LOL)right now. But Stay Tuned! I'll try to put it together tonight or it least by tomorrow night.
    Thank you Michelle to bring this to my attention. Isn't she something, always looking out for us all! IT'S A GOOD THING TOO!

Dantheman,
    Middletown, De.
    T-Tapp Trainer

Dantheman
    05-16-2006, 02:45 PM

Hi Sucpase,
    I apologize for the long delay in my response. But I didn’t forget you. All the tips listed in this thread are all right on target. My Awesome Leg secret is this; ensure that you are employing proper form. That is to say, that your entire back is in contact and PRESSED into the floor as well as your arms. Through out the movement sequence where your legs are bending down and up, keep them at hip width space. Don’t let them drift in or out. Hip-Knee-Ankle alignment and when your leg reaches your maximum up position do a full leg isometric contraction in both the pointed toe and flexed positions. In the Flexed position your heal is extending to the ceiling so extend it all the way just as if it where a pointed toe. Don’t let the momentum of the leg movements control your workout. When you leg is coming down to bent knee it should be controlled and your leg muscles are tight. And you should be building resistance from the very top to the full bent position. Try this. Stand flat against a wall feet hip width apart. Press your entire body (heal to head and arms) into the wall. Using your right leg, press your heal into the wall as hard as you can. Hold that pressure and drag your heal up until your knee is up just past your waist, if you can. Don’t release on the heal pressure HOLD IT and press your heal down and against the wall Pressing, Pressing, Pressing until the leg is straight. OK, now lets apply that pressure in the Awesome Leg position.
    When doing the ankle Cross-Cross-Cross movement. Again, it’s a resistance move. With your right ankle crossed over the left and both legs are pointing up, just before you begin to lower your feet, tighten ever muscle fiber in your left leg and apply the strength of the left leg to the extent that your right leg cannot press it down no matter how hard you try. Now, easy off the left leg strength just enough so that the right leg is just able to over power the left leg and your feet are moving downwards to the floor and your knees are moving out and away from hips. Your right leg is Pressing down, Left leg is Pressing up. When you achieve your max downward movement, don’t release…Hold that pressure and apply all the right leg strength down onto the left ankle and try to push up with your left leg. Right leg should be over powering the left leg to the point that the left leg cannot move upward. Now, easy off the power of the right leg just enough that the left leg can overpower the right and your feet begin moving upward. Hold downward press with the right leg and PRESS, PRESS, PRESS Up with your left leg all the way up. CROSS, CROSS, CROSS. And Repeat!!!

CAN YOU FEEL IT NOW?

Now, that GETTING IT, the trick is to manage the amount of power in each leg so that you can complete the SET. Believe me, if you use everything you have in the leg power moves, you will not be able to finish the SET. So, start out easy with the resistance and work to your Personal Max. Build up slowly!

Dantheman,
    Middletown, De.
    T-Tapp Trainer

sucpase
    05-20-2006, 12:33 AM

Dantheman- BRAVO, its like you painted a picture for me, yep I can feel it, have'nt tried it on the wall or the floor yet but the way you worded it all, I could feel it in my brain down to my legs. I will be doing ALeg's before I go to bed tonight and you explaining it to me really really helps me. Now that my brain has it let's see if my leg's can do it. thanks Dan your awesome.

Comment

Requin
      07-27-2006, 02:07 AM

just cuz it was kinda mentioned earlier, can you still do AL if you can't get your legs straight? I'll try Ally's suggestion about the towel, but I've haven't been that flexible since I stopped playing v-ball in uni (stopped having to look flexible in warm up, so I've really been to lazy to focus on flexibility) so I don't think my legs are stragiht- I certainly feel the muscles and find the AL hard, but that's because it's hard to try straightening my legs

Oh, and is there any harm to doing AL before a b/r wo? I tried to do it after my wo last night, and my legs were just too sore. I don't really have time through out the day to do it- My exercise time is al bundled up into one slot... advice?

JeanM
      07-27-2006, 08:56 AM

Bumping for Requin and also to ask Sammy Tee how she is doing with this move now? I just printed out all the great advice in case I ever decide to do the move!!!!

So, Sammy Tee, are you feeling AL now?

Jean

suz1947
      07-27-2006, 11:35 AM

Dan, this is awesome and an incredible learning tool. I’m embarrassed to say I’ve been going through the motions. I “thought” I was holding contractions, but now realize I was wimping out. [:0] I can’t wait to try AL after reading this. Thanks!!!

Suzanne

MonkeyGirl
      07-27-2006, 02:25 PM

I've got a simple tip to really make AL work... do it sloooooooow. Do it as slowly as you can, and that way you can really focus on getting the legs straight, keeping every muscle tight, placing the legs rather than swinging them. When I do AL super-slow, my legs are aching before I get to the first flat-foot part!

I've been doing this recently, and I feel like I'm only now really learning the form. Doing it at the speed it's done on the videos, it's easy to just swing the legs and not get full benefit. Try it slow, and I guarantee you'll hate me....

~summer

brook55
      07-27-2006, 05:43 PM

One thing that's helping all my TT moves is to do them with a resistance band a couple of times. Then I retain the sense memory of what moving through the resistance felt like - it's the difference between just clenching muscles and really working them.

Easier to do on arm movements, but the imagination can work wonders! For example on AL, find some floor movements you can do with a resistance band, then imagine there's one tied on your ankle to both the ceiling and the floor.

Brook

split_rock
      07-27-2006, 10:18 PM

sammy tee - I haven't done AL in a while but I remember a REAL intense butt burn!

Carmen

Lori French
      07-27-2006, 11:40 PM

I'm a short torso with tight hamstrings, I guess, because I also have a really hard time getting my legs straight. But with T-Tapp, I know going to MY max will reap benefits.

Putting a towel under the very tip of your tail bone just under the edge your buns (barely under your body at all) does help to keep the back flat to the floor which helps to get the legs up straighter. Make sure the towel is down, low, low, low, under your buns not your back. The purpose is to help the back getter flatter on the floor, not fill the gap where your back tends to arch!

Lori

sh99x
      07-28-2006, 11:32 AM

I have very tight hamstrings too, so just straightening my legs up in the air is a workout for me!

I find this move very challenging, so it amazes me that someone doesn't "feel" it.

It is a great move, and I've been trying to do it 4 x per week, it being shorts season and all.

Sarah

Tara*
      Boot Camp Member

08-27-2009, 04:44 PM
      1. Bump!

2. I am truly and wholeheartedly amazed by this AL moves. I do it only a few days, maybe 8-9 and my legs are just wonderfully shaping! I can feel and see the changes day by day.

I was sick, so I couldn't wo, I skipped almost 1,5 week. So I lost only just a few inches in one month. But doing AL boosted my lost-inch calculation, because I lost the most on my tights.
      Great moves!

Comment

Working...
      X