Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extend rib to hip with Lawn Mowers

Originally posted by Sherry 05-31-2005, 01:57 AM
    I've been working on several ideas for a new series of threads related to increasing the distance between the ribs and hips. This is the first because it is more of the more noticeable things you can do to make that change. This is an excerpt from the June Texas T-Tapp email.

Lawn Mowers to the Max

Over the past few months, I had the humbling experience that comes with ovarian cysts. That experience is sort of like having a body that is no longer your own. For many months, I thought I was living in an alien body, one that did not feel the same, act the same or respond like it did in the past. In part that was due to the huge hormonal fluctuations that come with such a condition. In late February, both ovaries were removed and I feel 1,000 times better. The only exception is the battle against the 10 pounds and about 10 inches that came with the condition and the resulting surgical menopause. That is why I am more passionate that ever about maximizing rib-to-hip separation to tone and trim the torso.

Before getting to the form tip, I really want to encourage you, no matter what your age, to tune in to Teresa’s teleseminar (info above). The interplay between estrogen, insulin, the adrenals and pituitary (with emphasis on thyroid) is complex but worth understanding. I know Teresa will cover at least two of the hormones in this feedback loop. This loop is especially important for those of us that tend to gain weight around the middle to understand. Now that I've experienced surgical menopause and have done more research, I'm more convinced that ever that short-torsos have a harder time losing weight and inches.

Oops, back to the form tip. The last couple of times I’ve seen Teresa, she has been emphasizing separating the ribs from the hips during the workout to maximize torso toning and trimming. You can do this all day long through normal shoulder alignment and keeping the tush in neutral position. To do that, add the imagery of your body as a strong tree trunk with you head just sort of floating on top. Try it sitting, right now as you read this. The lats are engaged but the shoulders are relaxed and just sit on top of the lats, the head floats above the shoulders. I’ve been working on this a lot during my recovery period to help lose those extra torso inches. I’m convinced that separating the ribs and hips throughout the workout … and all day long … is a major torso trimmer. In other words, it’s working!

So how to maximize the rib-to-hip separation during Lawn Mowers? If you haven’t been doing this move this way in the past, you are in for a real treat. I’m not going to described the full move in detail but want to focus on just two aspects. Here is the general outline with the key form tips in bold.

1. Assume the T-Tapp stance.

2. Roll down and stretch each side per the video.

3. Let’s use the left side as the start to make this description easier. Drop your hands to that side as per the video. Here is a change from Safety Harbor: sink your weight into the left foot. You are still in KLT with tush tucked but instead of evenly distributing your weight, sink it into the left foot. This will help you better separate ribs from hip on the right side in a few seconds.

4. Pull the right arm across the body as usual, tucking hard. You’re now facing the mirror again. The right elbow is pointing to the ceiling – not the back wall. This is very important. Think about it. If you point the elbow to the back wall, how much space is there between the ribs and hip compared to if you point the elbow to the ceiling?

5. Extend the arm straight up reaching high, bend at the elbow, hand in front of the pec.

6. Here comes the latest magical part which Teresa emphasizes on Lower Body Tempo. As you REACH to the ceiling with the right elbow, tuck harder. YES, tuck harder. This provides incredible separation between the ribs and hip.

7. Last move changing tip. Instead of just sort of flopping back down to the starting position for the next rep, drive the right hand as if through thick, wet sand back to the start. Hold the tuck to maximize rib-to-hip separation.

8. Do it all again!

Wowser! I've been personally working on this and more to help maximize rib-to-hip separation. More to come and I'll keep using rib to hip in the subject to make future searches easier.

Don't forget to squeeze the tush throughout!!!

Sherry
    "Retired" T-Tapp Trainer

brook55
    06-02-2005, 09:10 AM

Sherry - Sorry to hear you have been through this medical problem. Once again, you've handled it with wit and grace!

Thanks for this thread - Lawnmowers have always been frustrating because I haven't known how to really go for it. It's really helpful to know that the hip-rib thing is important. After reading this thread, I realized there are lots of opportunities to "work it" when doing T-Tapp. Reach-scoops and The Box are great for feeling the stretch on the side and then keeping the length in the waist after the sideways stretch. I'm going to go on a waist-length-stretch safari the next time I do my workout and hunt down these opportunities!

I also want to share a stretch I learned at a master class in voice. It's helpful in my morning set-up for the day (PBS, HD, and a couple of TTT stretches). For example, if you're stretching to the right, reach your left arm over your head, and cross your reight hand to feel the distance between ribs and hip. Really put a thumb on a rib bone and a finger on a hip bone. Then stretch to the right and observe the hip-rib distance using your right hand as a monitor. As you begin to stand upright, try and keep the same distance in the fingers/hand that you had during the stretch.

Do the other side, and then try something like Hoe Downs from this lifted position. Yowza! For me, it's a whole new leveraged iso experience - deep knee bend, KLT working against a carriage in the torso worthy of an empress.

Brook

40+nFIT
    12-21-2005, 03:33 PM

Sherry,
    To see you at Safety Harbor, one would never have known you'd just been through such an ordeal. You look wonderful (as usual!) and that is a tribute to your dedication to T-Tapp and to yourself. You continue to inspire.

I found the most beneficial advise I received from SH this time was Teresa's constant mantra of lifting up ribs or separating ribs from hips. I really "got" it this time and have seen an amazing difference in the intensity felt in just about every move we do. I recently posted about doing hoe-downs and really concentrating on lifting up out of hips with shoulders back and down. Try using the broom and doing one set each side slowly. Incredibly intense.

But, your instruction on lawnmowers has remotivated me to go to the max on that one by really tucking butt and putting weight on the one foot. I just tried it and nearly cried with pain and excitement. I know...I'm a sadist. But a short torso one who wants to maximize results.

Happy holidays to you, your family and all the other Tappers.
    Hugs,

Renee McLaughlin
    T-Tapp Trainer - Georgia

cheleskilove
    12-22-2005, 08:49 AM

Hey Sherry!
    I appreciate this post...but I'm afraid of lawn movers,yes afraid. I once threw my neck and shoulders out and the pain lasted for almost a month. I realize form is EVERYTHING especially on this move.If you could give tips on form from start to finish..maybe..just maybe I'll try it again. I beleive in it's power-but man-you have to be so conscious and meticulous. I will make sure to do this move ever so slowly-not with the video-that's when I throw my self out of wack.

Michele/Cleveland

monica213
    12-22-2005, 10:02 AM

Hi Michele,

I will try to help you out with the key points of LM as they can be a difficult move to understand. There is a POP video that may be worth investing in. Some inportant things to remember in LM are: (and I will weave mine into Sherry's incredible description)

1. Assume the T-Tapp stance.
    • Feet hip width apart - not to wide
    • Bend the knees DEEP (so you can get a better butt tuck)
    • Tuck you butt
    • align shoulders over the hips
    • push knees to little toe and hold the whole lower half tight, no moving from this point

2. Let’s use the left side as the start to make this description easier. Drop your hands to the left side (Just as in TTT). Relax your head when reaching over.

3. Pull the right arm across the body as usual, tucking hard. You’re now facing the front wall again. The right elbow is pointing to the ceiling – not the back wall. Shoulders and hips are square to the front wall. The lower body should still be the same as above, really Tucked and KLT! Make sure in your case that you have correct shoulder hip alignment and your lats are engaged, taking pressure off of the traps.

4. Extend the arm straight up reaching high, bend at the elbow, hand in front of the pec. As you REACH to the ceiling with the right elbow, tuck harder. YES, tuck harder. This provides incredible separation between the ribs and hip.

5. Instead of just sort of flopping back down to the starting position for the next rep, drive the right hand as if through thick, wet sand back to the start. Hold the tuck to maximize rib-to-hip separation.

8. Do it all again!

Hope this helps, practice it slowly in front of a mirror or two...

Michelle Barbuto
    Pennsylvania T-Tapp Trainer

Last edited by Forum Angel; 03-21-2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X