Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip Stretches for Jeni & Raleigh Durham

Originally posted by Sherry 09/09/2002, 10:53 PM

I am updating this post to capture some improvements suggested by Teresa on the third stretch below. She stopped by just as I was stretching out in the hotel lobby in Cleveland. These are significant improvements that helped me considerably this weekend. The changes seem so obvious in hind sight but when we are close to a problem, it is so easy to miss. The changes are in bold so that they are easy to spot.

Jeni asked about some stretches for the hamstring but after talking with her it wasn’t clear if this is truly a hamstring problem, piriformis or psoas – or any combination.

Aches and pains HIGH in the back of the thigh can be any of those -- especially the piriformis.

So here are three stretches for Jeni but I decided to post here in case others are interested. The first two are quite common but the third is the real winner. I caught it on a PBS special about stretching and it has made a huge difference for me.

1. Simple hip stretch (common)

Lay on the floor and place the right heel over the left knee – just like in diagonal sit ups on HTF. If you can, reach through the resulting triangle in the legs and grab the left thigh with your hands. You can raise the foot off the floor to bring the thigh to your hands as well. “Walk” your hands up the back of the thigh to just under the knee if possible. Pull in gently but as far as you can manage. Hold this for at least 20 seconds – preferably 30. If you can’t reach between the legs to grab the thigh, you can use a t-towel, sock, whatever to extend your reach. The knee stays bent but I often straighten the left leg as a way of pulling that knee a tad closer to the body and then bend it back to 90 degrees while holding the closer stretch. Another variation used in R/D is to gradually reach through further and place the hands on the left shinn. Be sure to keep your head on the floor and relax.

Switch and do the other side.

2. Hamstring stretch

I imagine just about everyone has seen this one. Lay on the floor with knees bent. Raise one foot to the ceiling. If you can grab behind that thigh, walk the hands up the back of the thigh as high as possible and then pull the leg toward your chest. Hold for at least 20 seconds but go for 30. If you can reach behind the thigh, use some sort of cloth extender. Aother option is to drape a towel, etc, over the foot and then pull the thigh to your body.
    Switch.

3. Twist & Pull stretch for the piriformis and psoas -- and, its pretty darn good for the IT Band as well

This is my favorite and I’m convinced it is the one that has helped me so much. Lay on the floor, knees bent, feet on the floor. Pull your left knee to your chest – or at least as far as possible. Straighten the right leg, heel on the floor. Place your left hand on the outside of your left knee and push the knee to the right shoulder – as much as you can. Reach up and grab your left ankle either over hand or under hand (whichever allows you the greatest leverage to pull the leg over further) with your right hand and PULL the ankle to the right side of the body and up toward the shoulder. You should feel a wonderful, wonderful stretch through the deepest muscles in that hip. Hold. With your right hand on the ankle for support, FLEX the toes straight in and hold. Keep flexing and now torque the toes in and hold. Keep flexing and now torque the toes OUT and hold. The last torque is the best as it mimics KLT. Now, why didn't I think of that? Point the toes. Roll the foot from the ankle. I love that part! Release slowly and do the other side.

The runners stretch is also really good for this area. Be sure to make the toe lifts big and s l o w.

Here is a little variation on a move to help lubricate the hip socket. On the floor, lift both feet to the ceiling. Flex your right foot. Now, turn your toes to the side wall, then center, then other side. Repeat as many times as you want. This feels good. The lubrication effect feels a lot like half-frog stretches.

Jeni, I hope you are soon feeling better. Given the amount of discomfort you are having, try using an ice pack under that area several times a day to reduce swelling and inflammation.

One more tidbit. Sitting up high on the sitz bones will also relieve pressure on those muscles. When we slouch, we are really compressing the very muscles that are tight. If you can also lift your ribs out of your hips, this too will take weight and pressure all those achy thigh and tush muscles.

I find that T's latest evolution to No Big Toe is fabulous for hip related problems.

Why? Because it forces us to roll out using the femur in the hip socket even more which opens up the entire hip area. My own piriformis problems, which were very troublesome, have improved substantially in the past two weeks since I've been concentrating on No Big Toe.

I suspect this can bring relief to problems higher in the glutes to the psoas muscle as well.

T-Tappin' best from Texas,
    Sherry, Houston Instructor
    Last edited by Forum Angel; 05-04-2016, 11:09 AM.

JeniBug
    Posted - 09/10/2002 : 12:08:55 AM
    Oh bless you, you darling woman!

In talking with the massage therapist I saw last week, was informed that the sciatic nerve runs through the piriformas muscle. She said to do anything I could to keep my glutes and piriformas relaxed.. since when a nerve is irritated (can they be inflamed?), the muscles automatically tighten around the nerve to protect it.

I have been doing that third stretch you listed, plus HD, gymnastic stretch, and runner's stretch, as well as PBS during the day when I am feeling really tight or having more pain than normal. I have been doing a full workout EOD with my mom (who has awesome form, btw, GO MOM!) as well as walking a mile or so (well, waddling along) nearly every night since I've been in IL visiting.

When I feel good enough, I do try to tailor sit on the floor, one of the things they tell you to do in Bradley childbirth class.. aligned, straight back, etc. I cant do it for too long because it hurts to sit crosslegged on the floor, but that ought to stretch me well too.

Thank you for all your suggestions, and I am sure others will benefit greatly from your sharing these stretches!

Jeni
    Sherry
    Posted - 09/10/2002 : 07:27:41 AM
    Oops, it was sciatica you mentioned first. All the same, a throbbing or terrible ache when sitting is very often a piriformis problem. Or at least, attacking there brings relief. I'm clueless which comes first, a tight tush that compresses the sciatica nerve or an irritated nerve that tightens the tush.

Oil Wells should also bring some relief. Forgot to mention those above.

I have a terrible time with these muscles so I'm hoping we get some more good ideas today on how to relieve a tight tush! Sharon and I used to call this the 'sore butt' club.

Sherry, Houston Instructor

Rachelle
    Posted - 08/10/2003 : 6:13:13 PM
    Thank you Sherry! for reposting this! I had an awful pinched nerve with the last pregnancy that wasn't diagnosed until a week after baby was born. THis time around I've been doing a lot better ~ thanks to tapping. However, just this last week (I'm a week over 4 months along) I've noticed some "twinges" in that same area. I will positively do these stretches. Thanks again!!
    Rachelle (or EarthMuffinMama to some)
    Sherry
    Posted - 10/13/2003 : 9:42:55 PM
    I find that T's latest evolution to No Big Toe is fabulous for hip related problems.

Why? Because it forces us to roll out using the femur in the hip socket even more which opens up the entire hip area. My own piriformis problems, which were very troublesome, have improved substantially in the past two weeks since I've been concentrating on No Big Toe.

I suspect this can bring relief to problems higher in the glutes to the psoas muscle as well.

Sherry, Houston Instructorn

Comment

Vanetta
      01-23-2012, 09:04 AM

I have done these stretches faithfully during most of the past many months of hip rehab. They WORK so well. Also, in the Lady Bug DVD, the second set of lunges.. where you are facing forward---(not the side lunges)---as you tuck and move that back heel up and down, and then both legs go straight/come up, that really stretches the psoas. That move helped me A LOT. It hurt like crazy when I first started doing it, but over time, it doesn't hurt anymore. I 'feel' that muscle more on the injured side, but I can't really call it pain. It feels good in a weird way, but I haven't had any psoas pain in a long time. The pain I had kept me awake at night for months. I would have to take muscle relaxers just so I could sleep. I've come a long way. I hope this encourages anyone dealing with the same, piriformis, illiosacral, psoas region pain.

Vanetta

Comment

Working...
      X