Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-ha! The towel

Originally posted by Dantheman 12-14-2005, 04:03 PM

A-HA Moment!! I have been struggling with the Hand Clasp behind the back moves from day one in the Primary Back Stretch. I could almost get my palms to meet but I just don’t have the flexibility to hold them together. I kept thinking of grabbing the towel for those moves but that Male Ego is not easy to overcome. Then I was watching the Form Tips and the use of the towel and realized that it was not just my palms not in proper position, it was Shoulders, Arm Extension, Elbows and palms. So I broke down and took a towel with me for my evening workout. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I felt like I was to object of two children who had a chicken wishbone that would not break.
    If the Hand Clasp Behind the back is a challenge for you and you really want to feel the benefits of these moves then you have got to use the TOWEL!

Dantheman

Annette66
    12-14-2005, 04:16 PM

What a difference the towel makes with shoulder rotation....wouldn't you agree????

Using the towel often kicks it up a notch - so it's good to let go of male ego once in a while (smile).

Could those 2 children you were the object of be named Annette and Ally looking at you with big eyes for your glass of wine?(ha ha ha)!!!

Thanks for posting Dan - you've probaly opened the eyes of MANY!

Annette
    T-Tapp Trainer, Iowa

Jeanne Z
    12-14-2005, 04:46 PM

Thanks for sharing this with us Dan. Isn't it funny how we think using tools to help us acheive better form is "cheating".

I've worked with Teresa using yoga blocks in runners stretch, due to my short arms, (and other "things" ) getting in the way..... She was very clear in explaining that it's NOT making the moves easier, it actually makes them harder since now we are using much better form.

See, even these "female egos" can get in the way sometimes! [:I]

Jeanne
    T-Tapp Trainer

Jodi1964
    12-14-2005, 05:35 PM

Oh my gosh! Yoga blocks for the runners stretch! Thank you so much for the idea. I have very short arms and have the hardest time with this stretch.

Am also going to try the towel, too!

Jodi

Jeanne Z
    12-14-2005, 06:15 PM

Glad that helps Jodi, remember to keep your shoulders up and back when you're lunging into the stretch and NEVER hyperextend your knee.

Jeanne
    T-Tapp Trainer

aj
    12-15-2005, 11:29 AM

Now that I've been doing this a year, I'm starting to get flexible enough without the towel. I can only do a few pumps before I feel I'm getting out of form, but I only go without the towel at the end.

April

2bthinagain
    12-15-2005, 11:34 AM

Oh yes, the towel. Makes a HUGE difference for me. Helps me to keep my shoulders down using lats as opposed to traps. And the blocks that Jeanne is talking about looked great at Orlando last weekend. I am short allover so those are going to be ordered shortly. Jeanne or Rhonda, if you see this, can you post the link to the website

Cheryl

DBDivaRW
    12-15-2005, 12:30 PM

Hi Cheryl...The website for any of the "tools" that we used is huggermugger.com. I had to get a "wedge" which I use during floor exercises to keep my lower back pressed firmly into the floor. I am slightly "swayed-back" and when my legs went up into the air, there was an "arch"...the wedge really helped me keep my butt tucked....Also, I got some "yoga blocks" at target in the exercise equipment department (they were really cheap, there!! )

Can't wait to see you in Jan...

Rhonda Wilkins
    T-Tapp Trainer

gr8fisch
    12-15-2005, 12:40 PM
    Great tips! ah...Dan... you ain't the only one w/ego... so... tough nuts aside... i too collect my pride before workouts & shovel it into my not-so-virtual trashcan...

treysmom
    12-15-2005, 01:06 PM

I am going to run to Walmart for some yoga blocks after work. I have not been able to do runners stretch and got frustrated with the whole second half of the WO because of it. Now I know I need be frustrated no more. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
    X