X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-tapp principles on treadmill

Question from Mansi 01-03-2006, 02:32 PM

Hi everyone,

whenever I hit gym with my DH, i work on treadmill and try ot use t-tapp principle. but i have realised following things.

1. I tend to lean forward when I am walking fast or running.
    2. I tend to lean forward when I am walking on an inclined treadmill (to increase resistance).

and no matter how hard I try, it is just not possible for me to not lean forward and have my shoulders back. ( how do you do that without loosing your balance?)

when I do SITTM at home, it is not difficult for me to follow tapping principles because T. does not go so fast.

any suggestions??

Thanks
    Mansi

Answer from Lannette 01-04-2006, 10:24 PM
    Hi Mansi,

Kitty's right. I did informal studies of sorts using my own self and walking and running. I used a polar heart rate monitor and discovered that given the same speed my HR would increase by 15-20 BPM when I was in linear alignment compared to when I wasn't.

My suggestion would be to slow down until you can build the core strength, coordination and balance to speed up. Have you ever seen someone lifting huge weights in a gym and basically throwing them around rather than lifting them with control? They might be able to do a biceps curl with 30 pound dumbbells but they arenÂ’t really lifting those weights with control and theyÂ’re swaying their body and not really isolating the muscles they believe theyÂ’re working.

Walking or running faster but breaking at the waist or holding onto the grab bars of the treadmill is a lot like that. ItÂ’s cheating. Your treadmill will be reading a faster pace but your body wonÂ’t actually be getting as thorough or as safe a workout.

When you break at the waist you put a lot of stress on the muscles of your lower back. You may also end up striking the ground with your foot slightly in front of you in an effort to counter balance that forward posture. When your heel strike is even a little bit in front of the body you end up actually “braking” your forward movement with every step. This is extremely inefficient, increases the already significant stresses of running and puts you at greater risk for injury.

IÂ’ve read the book Chi Running by Danny Dreyer. What he advocates is a slight full body lean that is initiated all the way down at the ankle level with ear, shoulder, hip and ankles aligned. HMMMMM sound at all familiar?

When I ran my first marathon I had only been running 11 months. This is not a good idea so it was no surprise that I began to have hip and lower back problems around the time of my 13-mile training run. Cheryl Shakespeare recommended that I try T-Tapp. I did a 4 day bootcamp.

The funny thing about this is that the group I ran that marathon with was amazed at how easily I ran it and how I had no excessive body, foot or leg pain after I finished. They also commented on how I held my alignment right through the end of the race. After reading Chi running I realized that because I was T-Tapping while training for that first marathon I was actually running in what was very close to linear alignment. Running that way didnÂ’t cause back and hip pain so thatÂ’s how I ran.

Slowing down to walk or run in linear alignment can be humbling but it will really pay off. When Teresa refers to working your body like a machine she means it! As T-Tapp realigns our bodies and reverses flexibility imbalances we become more and more like well oiled machines. Muscles fire in the correct sequence and we move with more efficiency and grace.

In the beginning youÂ’ll slip in and out of linear alignment but with practice your every day walk will become taller and more integrated. You might like to try the Moving Meditation walk I sometimes do in my Metatreks in order to practice walking in linear alignment. You can find it here. [url]http://forum.t-tapp

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer

Lori French
    01-03-2006, 02:39 PM

Yup, Yup, Yup I hear ya! The only way I can do it is to walk veerrryyyy slow and go upwards from there. Starting slower and staying in control/good form is similar to starting T-tapp with the instructionals! I NEVER run, too bad on the knees and I can get my HR up plenty high by tucking harder, donut hands, locking lats and using full extension on the legs. No need to even walk fast!

Lori

Tina71

I know that it is harder for me to keep the ttapp techniques if I am going to fast or at an incline on my treadmill. So I try to just walk at a regular pace. And if I feel like I am losing the techniques, I slow down a bit. Does the treadmill have a bar that you can hold on to in front of you? If so, you may want to hold onto that with your palms UP(underhand grip) .

Tina

homerun

Hi Mansi,
    Maybe you could slow the treadmill down until you are comfortable using T-Tapp principles on it. It is much different applying T-Tapp to ground that isn't moving. As you get more comfortable, then you can speed it up and put it at an incline.

Karen Seraphine
    T-Tapp Trainer-in-Training, CA

mansi
    01-03-2006, 02:44 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info. Yes my treadmill has a bar that i can hold. But then I go wayyyy to slow and my DH makes fun of me!!!

Okay if i walk on treadmill on my "OFF DAYS" can i just walk and run without using t-tapp principles??

Mansi

abzoeh
    01-03-2006, 02:54 PM

Yep, just slow it down. It's hard at first when you are so used to walking leaning forward. I wouldn't recommend holding the bar either. That is not good for those balance muscles, especially b/c that makes it even easier to lean forward. With T-Tapp technique, you don't have to go fast to work up a sweat but you may need to start out with like 1 minute of T-Tapp technique and build from there. It's quite challenging but once you get it down, it'll transfer to all your daily walking and you'll reap mondo benefits.

Just keep Tapping...just keep Tapping...

Ally

sh99x
    01-03-2006, 03:08 PM

I don't usually walk on a treadmill, but it seems to me it would be difficult to really tuck your butt *and* lean forward. So, tuck that butt!

Sarah

aj
    01-03-2006, 04:51 PM

Just to pose a question...if your whole body is leaning forward, then wouldn't you still be in a straight line?

I agree, how can you tuck and lean.

April

abzoeh
    01-03-2006, 04:55 PM

In order for your whole body to be leaning forward at the same angle, you'd have to be horizontal. Lol, not an easy way to walk. Your shoulders have to be lined up over your hips, which have to be lined up over your knees, which have to be lined up over your ankles, so no if you were leaning forward it would break the line.

You can't lean forward and tuck at the same time. It's either one or the other. It's difficult to tuck while walking when first starting out hence the suggestions to slow down so tucking can be accomplished. [8D]

Just keep Tapping...just keep Tapping...

Ally

mbecker
    01-03-2006, 05:22 PM

Hi Mansi,

It, too, was hard for me (and still is) to tuck while I am walking, so I often stop, retuck, and then start walking again. Just keep practicing and you will get it!

Marie

mansi
    01-03-2006, 05:22 PM

My whole body does not lean forward, only the top portion. I mean the shoulders are not back and alinged with the hips. My upper body leans forward, and I agree, the tuck is not very good when you are running or walking fast.

Mansi

Annette66
    01-03-2006, 08:44 PM

Too Funny Ally!

Mansi, it would be to your advantage to forgo walking faster on the treadmill if it means loosing T-Tapp Techniques. I also agree with the post above to TUCK that BUTT which will help you keep your alignment.

You will get more out of your workout, and more of a workout for the time spent by going slower and adhearing to T-Tapp Techniques of body alignment vs walking faster and loosing your alignment. In one of the previous T-Tapp Talks, Teresa elaborates on the increase of heart rate a person has when in alignment vs not. The increased heart rate while using T-Tapp Techinques will increase the effect of your workout, even if you need to slow your speed down a bit. In this Talk, Teresa also mentioned that in studies, people had an increased heart rate while walking "down" an incline vs walking "up" the incline. Why? Because when walking down, you will automatically bring your shoulders back into alignment over your hips, as a means to balance yourself from falling over. Again, shoulder over hips, increases the heart rate = increased benefit from your workout.

So YES, in order to get the most out of the time you spend on the treadmill, maintain T-Tapp techniques vs speed, if speed causes you to become out of alignment.

Do you have the MORE workout? If so, I have an idea for a trick for you to try to help you stay in better alignment. If you don't have MORE, it would be a little difficult to describe to you in writing.

Along the same line of this post, about a year ago my Niece joined a gym, mostly for the treadmill and eliptical machines. I worked with her to help her get the T-Tapp Techinque down while using the machines. After a week or so, I asked her how she was doing and if she was using the T-Tapp Techniques, and she sheepishly said......sometimes....what do you mean I said, and she replied, "It's so much harder to do it that way"....Silly I said, that's the point! You could spend less time with correct techinque, than a longer workout w/o it.

Also, a friend of mine who is very "thin" started using an eliptical machine and started building her butt which concerned her....when I explained to her about correct alignment, she reversed the problem.

So again - stay in form - your workouts will be all the better for it.

Annette
    T-Tapp Trainer, Iowa

Kitala
    01-03-2006, 10:58 PM

I'm going to hyperlink this to Lannette - she has done some studies that show how heart rate drops significantly when your shoulders are in front of your hips. Also Teresa told me that when you "run" peple tend to lean forward and that releases your butt and gut which means that you won't lose there as fast.

She told me about some guy who wrote a book that sort of incorporates some of the T-Tapp principles into running - called Chi of Running or Running Chi or something like that - but where you run in spinal alignment.

Hopefully Lannette will post on here soon!

Kitty
    Last edited by Forum Angel; 03-20-2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

mansi
      1-04-2006, 12:26 AM

Thanks everyone for their ideas. I think i will just ahve to stick to t-tapp principles.

I had just one more question ( may be silly coming someone who has been tapping for almost 2 yrs now[:I]), but I want to ask that if I just have that shoulder hip alignment ( AND NO BUTT TUCKED!!) and I run with that on treadmill (or walk fast), is it good enough??

I do not find the shoulder alignment so hard, but tucking for 30 mins is really hard for me.

Thanks
      Mansi

gingerb
      01-04-2006, 01:36 PM

But the hard is what makes it good! Teresa teaches us to exercise smarter not harder. Why not do less time on the treadmill with your butt tucked? Totally maximizing your time on there.

Sure, shoulder alignment is a good thing. But why not tuck and make those abs work even more?

Lori French
      01-04-2006, 01:37 PM

Yep, just slow it down. It's hard at first when you are so used to walking leaning forward. I wouldn't recommend holding the bar either. That is not good for those balance muscles, especially b/c that makes it even easier to lean forward. With T-Tapp technique, you don't have to go fast to work up a sweat but you may need to start out with like 1 minute of T-Tapp technique and build from there. It's quite challenging but once you get it down, it'll transfer to all your daily walking and you'll reap mondo benefits.

Elindamay
      06-27-2006, 12:26 AM

Hi Lannette,
      I just discovered this in the archives. I have been training for a marathon and have been having pain or numbness in my metatarsal arch. I have been confused and frustrated. I was having less pain when I was tapping more, but getting worried about overtraining. Then I had a guy.... not a podiatrist, why did I listen to him?... that worked at a orthotic insert store tell me that I shouldn't try to run with my feet forward because I was hurting myself by trying to force myself not to run duck footed. He told me that you can't retrain your feet without injuring something else. When I was at Safety Harbor, I kept getting in trouble because my right foot sneaks out but it is tons better than it was. Tapping has helped me get rid of pain in my ankles and back before. I don't know why I am questioning it now. I just wanted to get in shape faster. And I wanted to fulfill my dream of running a marathon.

The thing that is strange, is that I PBS'd right after running on the treadmill to help stretch out and then I did a couple stretches off of HTF and those "in/outs". As soon as I did the in/outs my feet weren't numb anymore nor painful. I wondered if the pain in my feet has more to do with lymph stuff than a falling metatarsal. I have an appointment with a podiatrist in a couple of weeks. I believe that our bodies were made to heal themselves given the right tools. I would like to do it naturally if possible. Do you have any experience with this?

Also, I was surprised to read about the increased HR while in alignment. I have been trying to run in alignment (I've been picking the machines by the mirrors and windows), and noticed that my heartrate was going through the roof if I tried to keep it at the speed I had been used to. I couldn't figure it out. I was starting to worry that the rest of my body was going to start falling apart! That is curious. How does that affect your running then when running a marathon? Do you have to run a much slower mph? How long did it take you to maintain that alignment while increasing distance?

Melinda

Lannette
      06-29-2006, 09:21 AM

I respectfully disagree with this person who told you to continue to run duck footed. He is correct in assumption that when one part of our body is out of alignment the rest of the body follows suit BUT he is most definitely wrong about being able to reverse changes. It is part of my job to reverse changes and I watch people transform all the time. Left alone asymetries only get worse over time.

In order to really help you I need the answers to a lot of questions and so unless you're ok with your info being on the forum it might be better if you email me with these questions.

1. What kind of shoes are you wearing? How old are they in months and how many miles have you put on them? Have you ever assessed your foot to determine what kind of shoe would work best for you?

2. How many miles have you run on your longest run? What kind of terrain are you running on outdoors? How many total miles a week do you run and what program are you using to progress yourself? How much time did you give yourself to prepare for this marathon? What is your running history? How long have you been running and what's the furthest you've ever run previous to this training?

3. Is your foot pain worse on a treadmill or when you run outdoors and can you pinpoint at what mile it kicks in? It sounds like you are weaker on one side than the other, hence the foot sneaking out to duck position. You most likely also have some flexibility imbalances because the two go hand in hand. Before you become too concerned please note that this is the norm with most people. High level T-Tappers tend to have really balanced bodies but believe me when I say that we don't start that way!

4. Can you describe to me what symptoms of overtraining you had [post cut off]

Lannette
      T-Tapp Trainer NH

MommyInMotion
      09-04-2006, 10:40 AM

I know this is an old thread, but a GOOD chiropractor can help you get started with the duck-feet syndrome. It will make T-Tapp so much easier. I struggle with this as well. A good chiro makes all of the difference in the world. Continuing to T-Tapp helps your alignment so that it becomes easier AND visits to chiro become less and less necessary. However, it is a good shortcut to good alignment.

MommyInMotion
      Beginner T-Tapper

Granny2
      07-07-2007, 01:23 PM

I have found a way to keep my butt tucked, my head up and shoulders back when walking anywhere without having to think about doing so. It is called Masai Barefoot Technology, MBT), and tho expensive, they last, can be resoled. I wear them as my regular sneakers, but now they have a lot of cute new styles. www.mbt.com!

Comment

Working...
      X