Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organs in Place isn't Magic

Originally posted by Lannette 08-05-2004, 12:03 PM

Organs in place is one of the most misunderstood and often maligned exercises I've ever encountered. I was just defending OIP at another forum and thought I'd post a copy of my post here in case we have visiters or new T-Tappers who can't understand how this funny little exercise can pack so much punch.

I'd like to shed a little light onto the concept of "Organs in place".

It's not really about organs totally falling out of their places. It's more about postural changes along with the effects of years of gravity, intra-abdominal pressure and in some cases pregnancy.

First posture: As we age we have a tendency to assume a toe out stance (duck feet) and this will tend to pronate or roll the knees inward. This inward roll of the knees pulls the hips and tips the pelvis which is why we tend to have more back pain as we age. But more importantly to the matter at hand (Organs in place) it also encourages the contents of the abdomen to press forward due to the tip in the pelvis and the effect of gravity. This can be even more pronounced in women who have given birth one or more times.

Now muscle: The transverse abs is a sheath of muscle that literally holds your internal abdominal organs in place. That’s its job. It’s also a muscle that can’t be easily contracted through movement alone. Things that increase intra-abdominal pressure like sneezing or coughing or certain positions will cause it to contract. It’s a muscle that hasn’t gotten much press until the last few years.

This muscle which is responsible for keeping your innards in place is the muscle that “organs in place” targets. (The T-Tapp move half frogs also targets it.)

But please understand that we’re not talking about organs that have gotten mixed up and are sitting in a big old pile all in a jumble. We’re talking about a transverse muscle that’s gotten flabby from childbirth and increases in intra-abdominal pressure and yes, increased fat stores all of which has allowed the abdominal organs to lean forward and to some degree drop because they are not being supported by the transverse abs. You can lose the fat, which will make the abdominal area smaller, but if you don’t tighten up the muscle it’s still going to bulge. Further more, if you do traditional ab work without tightening the transverse you can potentially make the bulge worse because traditional ab work increases intra-abdominal pressure which causes the belly to bulge out as you do your sit ups.

Organs in place works to at first temporarily move the organs slightly up and in so that your tummy lies flatter which will allow you to get more out of the exercises to follow. (Yes even standard crunches) The good news is that just as getting those organs back up and in allows the standard crunches to be more effective, the more effective crunches over time allow your transverse abs to get tighter (I really suggest half frogs to help this process along). This, over less time than you would think leads to a tighter flatter midsection.

It’s not magic it’s just simple but anatomically solid rehabilitative fitness and that is what T-Tapp is all about. Helping the body help itself.

champagne109
    08-28-2005, 05:47 PM

Ok, with all that said... does that mean that I don't need OIP because I'm only 18 and have never had children? I was considering buying it, but would it affect my results at all?

Champagne

JaneB
    8-28-2005, 05:54 PM

Postural changes start after you learn how to walk when you are a toddler. You could benefit doing OIP.

T-tapp Trainer, New Hampshire
    ACE Certified Personal Trainer

Debarbie
    08-29-2005, 01:25 AM

Well this is MHO but I don't care how old you are or if you have had babies etc. this move is one of the most beneficial and best of t-tapp floor work. So much goes on inside our bodies that we do not realize. Our posture for one. How we stand or sit. I remember when I first did this move I was so blown away. I am LT too and I just could not believe how gravity was pushing things down. I love OIP it has so many benefits.[^]

Deb E.

Latingirl
    08-29-2005, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the detailed explanations! I've done OIP/HF and not really *gotten it* until now.
    I will tuck harder to feel the trans abs deep down in there, somewhere, I know they're there!
    Champagne109, I've never had kids either but haven't had a flat tummy ever. [:I]
    So I look forward to not having to suck it in. LOL.

HF
    08-29-2005, 07:03 PM

Lannette, you rock! Excellent explanations. Man, I'm going to be thinking tuck/Kegel with those half frogs.

Lannette, I've noticed that the OIP seems to have changed over the last few tapes; on HTF it's left side in, right side in, center up, then tighten hold. Of late I've seen left side in, tighten release, etc. Is the newer way better than the old one?

Helena

DollieJ
    09-22-2006, 01:18 PM

Ok.. So I was reading this and just thought there is something to this I am not doing. I went back to the Try before you buy instructions and I was totally leaving out the open close legs part and just bringing knees to shoulders!!! I was getting results before, but man, just think how good it will be when I do it right!
    I do have a question on the fanny tucks though... Do I push my bum all the way up or is it more of a pelvic tilt without touching the floor.
    Also, will this in any way help a tipped uterus? Just curious if anyone knows about that.

-Dollie

Khenkels
    11-17-2006, 08:30 PM

DolliJ:

I hear you on not doing them correctly. I just received my book, and used the DVD in the back - wow. Alot clearer and more instruction.

I just wanted to ask, or mention that I do not see Lanette on the forum much. Is she still a trainer?

Kristina

Debarbie
    11-18-2006, 02:40 AM

I know the subject is titled OIP not magic but for me its been a Godsend or TersatappSend! I had this fibroid that was just not in a good place caused so much pain and cramping especially after lying down all night so I would get up every morning and do OIP it stopped alot of the pain and helped me shrink a fibroid that was beyond just annoying. Thanks Lannette for posting the explanation as to what this move does but i still believe there is a little magic to it he he!

Deb E.

kathyd
    05-08-2009, 10:10 PM

Hi there,
    Don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I'm hoping someone can help me.
    I tried OIP once, and ended up with the diarrhea for a day. Now I'm afraid to do it.
    Any hints on how I might be doing it wrong? (I have had occasional bouts with IBS, but I hadn't eaten anything that normally triggers it that day).
    Thanks,
    Kathy

OzFriend
    09-26-2010, 02:07 AM

OIP might not be magic but this is encouraging me to do it every day.
    Last edited by Forum Angel; 03-20-2016, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Brenna
      09-26-2010, 11:07 AM

i know it helps me work my abs better. i'm even starting to pull belly button in sometyimes without having to think about it all teh time during workoukts. but of course, it helps NOT to be totally exhausted.

homefire
      09-27-2010, 11:29 AM

Okay, I have a question. I did OIP/HF faithfully at least 3x/wk for over a year when I first started T-Tapping, and I certainly haven't seen much flattening of my tummy. It's gotten smaller, yes, along with the rest of me, but still bulges quite prominently. In fact, now that I'm fairly thin everywhere else, it tends to look rather like a 5 or 6 month pregnant belly (and no, I'm NOT! ) I have read and tried to implement gallons of tips and I still don't see the results I'd like. Perhaps it is too much to ask that I would have a totally flat tummy at 47 after giving birth to four children, but I think surely I could at least have better bladder control? I still have to consciously "tighten things down" before a sneeze or I have to make a mad dash for the restroom. It just makes me think that surely I have been doing OIP wrong all this time, but I cannot for the life of me see what is wrong!

I alternate between just accepting it, assuming that it's just the way I will always be and getting really frustrated. And I confess that for the past couple of years I have largely ignored OIP/HF, doing it only when I am doing a floor workout anyway, because I've never been able to tell any difference from it. It bothers me that so many people see a huge difference from this move, while it simply hasn't touched me. Does anyone else have this experience? How can I find out what is wrong here?

~Ronda~

Titus2Mommy
      09-27-2010, 05:49 PM

I am frustrated with OIP/HF/E, and this thread if very helpful! I just had our 10th baby 8 months ago, so that might have something to do with it. I don't "feel" ANYTHING. I also don't feel anything in my abs when doing any of the other T-tapp moves. I have tried curling my core as well during the day, and it takes so much concentration that I can't do anything else - even hold a normal conversation. I am not giving up since T-tapp has helped me in so many other ways, but I thought perhaps somebody could give me some tips or encouragement to help me persevere.

Thanks,
      Angie

midlothian connection
      09-27-2010, 08:33 PM

Angie---I've had "that" bikini cut to the lower abdominal muscles three times now. The most recent time was almost 20 years ago, and I still have numbness in the area. I just keep working it! We're all in this together.

Victoria

gretchikin
      10-31-2010, 10:40 PM

Ronda and Angie,

When you're doing OIP and "tighten and release" you're tightening that transverse abdominus. If you put your hands there, and give a little cough, that muscle will tighten up. PUSH with your fingertips, and tell your brain THIS is the muscle I'm tightening. THIS is the muscle I'm targeting. Seems weird, but that muscle is HARD to target, especially after kiddos. So, tighten and release that muscle, with your hands still there lifting things up and do the tucks WHILE tightening AND tucking butt/curling core.

Now, for Half Frogs. PRESS your lower back into the floor, sucking belly button to spine, curling the core. Make sure your hip to knee is vertical when you start and when you open/close the lower legs together. The tendency is to bring the knees closer to your chest just a bit, which makes it easier. Once you push your knees out to over your hips, you have to fight harder to keep the lower back pressed, which in turn fights harder to tone that transverse ab.

The DVD that comes with the book and Critter Crunch are great DVDs that explain this.

Hopefully another trainer will pop in too.

Greta

homefire
      11-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Thanks for your input, Greta! Since this popped up today, I'm going to go try it and see if I feel anything wondrous. Thanks for giving me a nudge!

Okay, did it. First of all...weird thing. I can lie down and get my back flat no problem--tummy caves in to nothing and looks great--but when I did the first "pulling in" from the left, I thought, "WHAT is THAT???" There was a big lump. I mean, big! Was it just my colon, do you suppose? It kind of sank back after that and wasn't so prominent, but gave me a start!

Anyway, I went through it, but decided to put my hands down there on my belly so that I could tell if it was activated. It definitely is, but it still doesn't seem right. When I push my back into the floor, my tummy bulges up in the middle in sort of an inverted V. Is that what's supposed to happen?

And I just thought as I was finishing that maybe I should try a towel under my hips. Trisch once suggested that I do that for some floor moves, and it definitely made them easier. Does it help or hinder my tummy getting flatter?

~Ronda~

christie699
      06-06-2011, 09:28 PM

That inverted "V" when you attempt a sit-up: that's a diastasis recti... a spread in the "six pack". You will need to splint your midsection during all floor work, with a towel around your waist and crossed over in the front (holding each end with opposite hands). A Tupler splint would be really helpful, too, if you want this to heal permanently. Stay away from traditional crunches, they make it worse.

Pamelaw
      6-06-2011, 10:55 PM

It's also called the Mummy Tummy. Men get them, too, from being out of shape and overweight, but especially us mommies get them and they need to heal.

It'll feel weird doing the splint at first, but it's worth it!

I'd also combine it with Hethir Rodriguez DVD on abdominal massage, because it rocks and totally validates OIP/HF
      Last edited by Forum Angel; 03-20-2016, 08:14 PM.

Comment

BlessedMama
        06-07-2011, 08:17 AM

A handtowel rolled and put just below the tailbone helps tremendously for you keep your lower back flattened, helps you curl the core.

With Teresa's new Mitten Chop Box on YouTube (My Fox Atlanta clip), you can get good results standing as well!

I used the towel for Half Frogs and didn't do any "floorwork" other than OIP/HFs until I knew I could keep my abs activated. Even then, when I lose activation, that move is done, whether it's 2 reps or 10! My diastasis is close beneath the navel, half a finger's width at the navel (which may never close as I had my gallbladder out there!), and a finger's width above. That's a looonng ways from where it started!

HTH!

LillyDaizz
        06-07-2011, 08:40 AM

After all these years of reading about putting a rolled-up hand towel under the tailbone during OIP/HF/E...I finally tried it over the weekend. I couldn't believe how much it helped - made it so much easier to get my lower back flat to the floor (and keep it that way) and boy-oh-boy I could really feel it the day after. OIP IS Magic.

BlessedMama
        06-07-2011, 09:03 AM

Amazing, isn't it?! I didn't think I needed the towel, but yeah! WHAT a difference!

Brenna
        06-07-2011, 11:52 AM

hmm, maybe I'll try it. I know i have a very swayed back, so maybe it'll help, god willing

LillyDaizz
        06-07-2011, 01:26 PM

Yes it sure does make a big difference! I could kick myself for not using a towel sooner. STILL feeling those abs....2 days later.

teresatapp
        06-07-2011, 01:36 PM

So many times people make the assumption that putting a towel under their tailbone make OIP/Half Frogs easier but...actually it helps you create greater comprehensive muscle activation...especially those muscles that attach to lower lumbar and your abs. Once you FEEL the difference in ab activation (especially the day after!) you'll understand the difference AND you'll eventually be able to create the same level of activation without the towel.

Fe LTL
        04-27-2012, 06:28 AM

What do you mean putting a towel under the tailbone? Does it go in the small of your back or do you kinda "sit" on it?

I am having a hard time keeping my shoulders pressed during OIP & HF warm up!

Tamra
        04-27-2012, 08:40 AM

Not in the small of your back but under the tailbone itself which actually helps keep the small of the back pressed against the floor.

Fe LTL
        04-27-2012, 09:43 AM

Kinda like a door-stop?

BlessedMama
        04-28-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Fe LTL View Post
        Kinda like a door-stop?

LOL! That's a good way to put it!

MEKTapper
        07-24-2012, 01:50 PM

How do you know if you have that split stomach thing?

AmbassadorCrochet
        07-24-2012, 02:28 PM

Ok, Trisch, you have me convinced. I'm going to try with a towel tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

AmbassadorCrochet
        07-24-2012, 02:33 PM

Mary Ellen,

Lay flat on the floor with your feet up near your butt. Slowly lift your head off the floor. Sometimes you will 'see' the V stand up on your stomach, but you can also tell by whether or not you can put any fingers in the center of your muscles. The measurement of how bad your diastasis is, is measured by how many fingers width your muscle is apart. You measure approx. 3" above your navel, at your navel, and 3" below your navel. Maybe a trainer has a better way of explaining it.

just7
        07-25-2012, 08:12 AM

When you head is lifted, press your fingers in below your belly button. Moving fingers down (or up) until you feel a little "v". You'll feel the edge of the muscle wall on either side. That is the split.

When I first "went exploring", my fingers were facing each other and I found the v and the slight widening--the edges of the muscle wall. I kept moving my fingers up towards my belly button and the muscle edges widened several inches. I got up above the belly button and my fingers disappeared in a FAST empty CAVERN!!! It was so freaky!!!!!! Scared me to death!

Now my fingers actually meet when I press in at my belly button...which means the edges of the muscle wall are just about together. There is just a teeny bit of widening as I move up a little and there IS muscle up above that now!!

BlessedMama
        07-25-2012, 10:00 AM

Woo-HOO Jennifer!

Kristine, that's the way I'd explain it!

Strengthening core is so key and it's wonderful Teresa helps us do that even with the standing workouts, so if we're not ready for floorwork, we can still strengthen the core!

Last edited by Forum Angel; 03-20-2016, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X