Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling out of the loop when you reach and scoop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling out of the loop when you reach and scoop?

Originally posted by Lannette 06-17-2003, 09:30 PM

I think that the next few moves of the Basic Workout Plus are probably a few of the most underestimated of all T-Tapp moves. Maybe it’s because they’re shorter than the moves that precede and follow or maybe it’s because they look so deceptively simple when Teresa does them. What ever the reason for the oversight there is pure gold buried here!

Reach scoop is another move where I am reminded of a sandwich. Do you get the feeling I like to eat?? More about this in a minute. I mean about the move not about my eating habits!

The spine has the ability to move front and back, side to side and to also twist and during the BWO+ Teresa has us move our backs in every single one of these directions. Her secret is that she sequences it to not only be safe but to also be restorative, rehabilitative and strengthening. Her movements are also comprehensive because they work our body like a machine where all the parts work together to make the move happen. This builds incredible strength, stamina and coordination.

In the one of the other movements we talked about we moved our backs through full forward range of motion. With reach scoop we’re going to work the side to side motion and this is where the glass wall sandwich comes in.

Imagine two glass walls, one in front of you and one behind you. The only problem is that they are so narrow that you must stand perfectly square and facing the front wall. You cannot turn sideways or tilt front or back and you are in effect a glass-wall sandwich. This means that in order to reach your arm over your head you must reach your arm up the side of your body and skim behind your ear and you can’t lean forward or you’ll bump the glass. Feel the difference that makes in your upper arm and side of the body contraction! Feel it in enough T-Tapp workouts and you’ll also see the difference it makes!

Also be very sure that your opposite arm doesn’t touch or rest on your hip or leg. If you allow it to rest you effectively create an arm bridge between your upper and lower body and this bridge will steal much of the core work that this move provides. So allow that opposite arm to hang down or once you get really good at this pull it down and slightly back behind your bottom to oppose the other arm but don’t touch! Some other videos have you touch in order to guard your lower back but the KLT stance and tucking and keeping that glass sandwich intact will give you plenty of protection with the added benefit of some awesome core work.

Now that you’ve gotten a nice stretch and really reached that arm to the max so sharply scoop your top hand toward the front and once again reach away, reach away, reach away as you pull the arm out and away and back down to your side. Concentrate on really sending an impulse all the way to the tips of your fingers and reaching as far away as you can resisting the movement and you will activate all the muscles in your arm which in turn will give you feminine muscle and cuts like no one’s business.

While all of this upper body action is going on don’t for one minute think that the lower body is taking a vacation. This is one of the moves I call a one footed KLT with a prop move. One leg is reaching to the side acting a bit as a counterbalance so that you can really stretch your spine the other foot needs to be in KLT and your butt must be tucked. This step is the perfect place to practice holding your KLT steady while on one foot. I like to mentally check my KLT and give it a little push as I flip my hand forward.

One form faux pas I’ve noticed frequently is that people simply rock back and forth between one leg and the other rather than picking up the foot that is side and replacing it under their corresponding hipbone before switching to the other side. Getting the foot under your hipbone puts you back into linear alignment for a split second before you repeat the move on the opposite side and helps you re-establish your KLT. Your KLT on the standing leg is important because it anchors the movement.

I suggest you first try the individual components of this move when you aren’t working out and practice your best form. Then put it all together and practice making it as smooth as you can despite the fact that you have so much contraction going on in all directions. Once you’re comfy with all that you can then concentrate on adding more of a contemplated lat contraction especially right before you scoop that top hand. One last note. Please do not be worried if you wear a heart rate monitor and see your heart rate dropping during this move. Plies takes your heart rate waaaaaay up there and this move also functions to bring it down a bit so you will be able to continue the workout without becoming anaerobic. (You know when you are anaerobic because you can’t talk easily but must kind of pant out the words.)

I hope this isn’t too confusing. I didn’t go into a ton of detail on purpose so that you guys can play with the move and have a little fun exploring. Also if you’ve had A-Ha moments in the past please share them.
Working...
X