X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heart disease question

Originally Posted by Fittest 05-12-2007, 05:02 PM

Hi:

I did a search but did not find much on heart disease specifically.
    Does anyone know if it's safe for someone with heart disease to do TTAPP.

My mom has heart disease and she is also overweight. She is over 70. I would like to get her to start TTapping. Her doctor says she can exercise, i.e, walk.

However I was thinking of getting her the MORE workout or SATI. Do you think this is wise? Or which workout would you recommend? Also would you recommend she starts with a Bootcamp?

She is currently a non-exerciser.

Thanks for your advice.
    Fittest

monica213
    05-12-2007, 05:09 PM

Absolutley she can do T-Tapp, MORE, SATI or Chair. Instead of a bootcamp, I would have her focus on consistency. Her primary goal would not be inch loss.

Michelle Barbuto - Senior T-Tapp Trainer

Tina71
    05-12-2007, 05:37 PM

Lannette is a cardio rehab nurse. She may have some info to help:

http://www.t-tapp.com/trainers/lannette/

Tina

Fittest
    05-12-2007, 06:05 PM

Thanks Michelle and Tina - I guess a bootcamp would not be the way to go after all, as the focus is moreso health rehab than inch loss. I really do want her to lose some weight too.

I hope Lannette sees this and adds her thoughts. If she does not reply I will send her an email directly (does that link have an email address?.

So I will get the dvds you suggested and strive for consistency.
    Thanks
    Fittest

Tina71
    05-12-2007, 11:11 PM

yes, her email is at the end of that link.

Tina

Lannette
    05-12-2007, 11:51 PM

Hi Fittest,

Tina let me know about your question - thanks Tina. I could give you more specific suggestions if I knew a little bit more about what type of heart disease your mother has. If you want more specifics please email me and we can talk. (If your mom has a history of heart failure or an enlarged heart we should definitely talk.)

In general I would initially suggest that your mom start with More. I'd encourage her to do only PBS on day one and two and then add another movement every 2-3 workouts. She should initially exercise three times a week. (She could do PBS and eventually hoedowns -possibly seated - daily.) While performing the exercises she should avoid holding her breath or performing a vasalva maneuver (this is holding your breath and bearing down and possibly grunting like a weight trainer would do when lifting a heavy weight.) It's amazing how many people hold their breath while concentrating on exercise and then when the exercise intensity increases many people bear down without thinking about it. Either of these two things can set off irregular heart beats or cause dizziness in the heart patient.

Heart patients also want to be careful about rolling up after doing head rocks. They should roll up slowly while focusing on a spot on the floor. (Heart medications decrease how quickly the blood pressure can respond to position changes and when people change positions too quickly they will tend to get dizzy.)

She should make sure that she's taken her medications and that they've had time to begin working (1-2 hours after workouts) before she does her T-Tapp sessions. She also shouldn't exercise within 1-2 hours of having eaten a full meal. (She doesn't want her heart to have to compete with her digestive system for oxygen-rich blood.)

Your mother may also have a specific heart rate that she is not supposed to exceed. One rule of thumb is to take your pulse after sitting still for 5 minutes and use this as a resting heart rate. Then not allow it to get higher than 30 beats above that resting heart rate.

Your mother can also use the Borg scale while doing her T-Tapp workouts. http://www.scottcare.com/graphics/borgRPE_lg.jpg With practice this can be a wonderful tool to help grade not only exercise but also her daily activities of living.

Finally 24 hours after any exercise session she should ask herself if she is feeling exceptionally tired (a sign that she did too much), has joint pain (maybe she has to reassess form) or muscle pain (muscle pain is fine as long as it doesn't decrease her range of motion or last longer than 24-48 hours).

BTW, Chair and SATI can also be done but I'd suggest the More versions of these initially. T-Tapp chair and SATI have quite a few arm movements and arm movements tax the heart much moreso than lower body movements even though the heart rate doesn't elevate as much.

Hope this helps and again if you have more questions please feel free to email me and put T-Tapp in the subject line. Best of luck to your mom with her T-Tapp.

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH
    Cardiac Rehab RN

lotsakids
    05-13-2007, 01:27 AM

Dear Fittest,
    This is a very fitting post in light of the fact that tomorrow is Mother's Day. Your concern for your mom is evident. Mom's are precious.
    Lanette - I printed a copy of this as a quick reference.
    Thank you from all of us concerned about people with heart problems.
    I have a question that I hope is relevant here.
    Patient's on anticoagulant therapy (blood thinner) need to be cautious to prevent bruising and bleeding. Are any of them able to do the skin brushing?
    Best regards,

Carol Heinrich
    Senior T-Tapp Trainer

Lannette
    05-13-2007, 10:36 AM

quote:Originally posted by lotsakids

Dear Fittest,
    This is a very fitting post in light of the fact that tomorrow is Mother's Day. Your concern for your mom is evident. Mom's are precious.
    Lanette - I printed a copy of this as a quick reference.
    Thank you from all of us concerned about people with heart problems.
    I have a question that I hope is relevant here.
    Patient's on anticoagulant therapy (blood thinner) need to be cautious to prevent bruising and bleeding. Are any of them able to do the skin brushing?
    Best regards,
    Carol
    Trainer in Training-IL
    This is a great question Carol! Thanks so much for bringing it up. Skin brushing is great for heart health but you're right that someone on coumadin or plavix would need to take a cautious approach. I usually suggest that they begin by just lightly brushing (light massage stroke) with their hand to see how their skin responds. They can then move up to a soft wash cloth, softer brush and if it doesn't cause bruising a regular brush first wet then dry. When moving up they should do only a small area with the stiffer implement at first to see if they bruise.

Lymphatic drainage will significantly increase with even the lightest of touches to there is no need to brush hard when this is the goal. A butterfly kiss of a touch will do. I've had clients who had a swollen ankle for years due to vein grafting decrease that swelling completely through consistent skin brushing.

Thanks again for bringing up this important point! Happy Mother's day everyone!

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH
    Cardiac Rehab RN

Tina71
    05-13-2007, 12:21 PM

Thanks for posting, Lannette! As always, your post was great!

Tina

Lannette
    05-13-2007, 12:33 PM

Thanks Tina and thanks so much for the heads up. I'm so busy these days that I depend on you guys to let me know when there's a topic that I can lend a hand with.

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH
    Cardiac Rehab RN

lotsakids
    05-13-2007, 04:47 PM

Thank you Lanette.
    Carol

sostinkinhappy
    05-13-2007, 08:55 PM

Lannette-

Excellent post! Thanks for all of the great information.

M.

Melynda Fitt
    TTapp Trainer, UT

Lannette
    05-14-2007, 06:38 AM

You are very welcome Carol!

Hi Melynda! It's great to "see" you!

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH
    Cardiac Rehab RN

Fittest
    05-15-2007, 02:29 AM

Hi Lannette
    Thanks so much for responding.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.

I feel more comfortable helping my mom now with all this information. I would like her to exercise but I am so scared because of the heart issue but if I bear your pointers in mind, that eases my worry a whole lot.

I am not sure what kind of heart disease specifically she has. I do not know the technical terms. I know she had a stroke two years ago and the current doctor said she has some valve problems. Does that give you anymore insights at all?

Thanks for pointing out how she should start gradually by doing PBS and not to have her hold her breath.

With the Borg scale, I guess she should be in the fairly light, somewhat hard category and not exceed this?

This is excellent advice - your clients must be happy to work with you. If I were nearer I would definitely have my mother work with you but I am in Canada.

Thanks again Lannette and thanks for inviting me to send an email if I have anymore questions.

Fittest

P.S. I would have never thought of having her take medication first. You are a gem for pointing this out - thanks

Lannette
    05-15-2007, 09:46 AM

quote:I know she had a stroke two years ago and the current doctor said she has some valve problems. Does that give you anymore insights at all? Thanks for pointing out how she should start gradually by doing PBS and not to have her hold her breath.
    Hi Fittest, this does give me some additional insight. Everything I said stands but if her valves are not working properly and she's had a stroke it becomes more important that she not push too hard, become too out of breath, hold her breath or clench her muscles. She's going to want to hold KLT but not clench and force. For her, at least in the beginning she'll want to nudge her body into KLT and linear alignment rather than force. She should also be very careful with the head rocks. In TT More Teresa tells us to press into the calves rather than the ankles and your mom will want to be certain to do this. The first few times she does it she may actually want to press into her calves fairly high - even right below the side of the knee at the fullest part of the calf. She should also think about nodding her head yes rather than shaking it hard. Once she's sure that the head "nods" aren't making her dizzy she can work her way down to mid-calf.

quote:With the Borg scale, I guess she should be in the fairly light, somewhat hard category and not exceed this?
    Given her valve issues and history of stroke I'd suggest that she initially stay in the fairly light category and if it starts feeling somewhat hard it's time for a break.

She shouldn't stop walking just because she's T-Tapping. She can practice walking tall with feet straight ahead and shoulders open. Her walking will help her T-Tapp even as her T-Tapp helps her walking. If she's not strong enough to try the step away the inches portion of the video or dvd she can at least for now watch it so she begins to understand linear alignment then later when she's stronger she'll be able to use it on rainy days so she doesn't have to miss her walk.

I wish we lived closer too but at least we're able to communicate via computer. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions and please let me know how your mom is doing of have her drop me an email. Just be sure to put T-Tapp in the subject line.

Best of luck to your mom,

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH
    Cardiac Rehab RN

Comment

nat1jen
      05-15-2007, 12:16 PM

Thanks, Lannette, for sharing all of this good info!

Fittest, you are a great daughter to do all of this research for your mom.

Lu

Comment

Working...
      X