X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diastasis Revisited

Originally posted by just7 07-16-2009, 07:03 AM
    Hi,

I hope someone can give me a visual on this...

I was checking my Diastasis (separation in abdomen wall, for the uninitiated) this morning. I can feel it coming to a point just below my belly button (I think OIP/HF have helped tremendously!) and then it widens just a little on either side of my belly button and about 1/4 - 1/2 inch later it just disappears into my upper abdomen. I can't feel the edges at all. It is like there is a huge empty cavern!! If you have seen my pictures in my album, you will notice this LARGE upper abdomen!! When I am standing up, that area feels like a hard ball that jiggles. (Too graphic??? Sorry---it's my nature! )

Any "experts" out there who can give me an idea of what is going on there and what I could be doing to help get rid of it? I don't know if the diastasis is just really wide up there. I don't even know how far up that muscle separation could go!!!

Jennifer Wife for 30 wonderful years Mom to 7--5 still at home--ages 23 to 14 (5 girls and 2 boys) Mamee to 4 T-Tapping since 2009

BlessedMama
    07-16-2009, 08:17 AM

Jennifer, I would go to the Must Read Threads and read all of Sherry's posts that have to do with inner core, waist whittlin', OIP...she has a lot of wisdom on ab stuff! There even is a recently bumped thread about Our Incredible Abs that has a great sequence!

That said, I would work on zipping things up tight. Kayla and other trainers have used that analogy, and it finally clicked for me. While driving, sitting, standing, press your lower back and pretend you are zipping up some tight jeans. Think how you have to tighten the muscles all the way up to your belly button. You might not have the muscle awareness/strength yet, but it will come!

I'm still working on that upper belly pouch, too! I still have some in the lower abs, but the upper is an issue, too!

Also, think of Charlotte's advice she got from Teresa--"Lift Ribs, Set Lats". Again press your back while driving, lift the ribs out of the rib cage (you will notice that you have to "zip up the abs" to do that!), and tighten the lats to hold shoulders back not down.

I'm sure a trainer will chime in and give more wonderful advice! This all is what I've gleaned because the tummy area is my worst!

HTH!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

homefire
    07-16-2009, 10:01 AM

Good advice from Trisch. Have try that incredible abs thing. And I defnitely need to be thinking more about zipping. That is such an excellent visual.

After reading Sherry's transverse ab description, I'm wondering about something... I've had a pain--kind of like a stretched muscle--across one hipbone several times lately. Would it be possible that this is my transverse abdominus? I hadn't realized that they attached to the hipbone--just never thought of feeling it over there, but now I'm hopeful. I've been pretty discouraged lately, because it seems that I am developing a round, hard tummy in spite of all my efforts. From waist to bikini-line, right in the center, there is just a blob, even though pretty much all my other fat has disappeared. I look like I'm in the early stages of pregnancy and I'm NOT.

Lately I have really been trying to focus on it, but it almost seems to be growing worse rather than better. I have no idea what I could be doing wrong. OIP is pretty painful for me and doesn't seem to make much difference (I did it faithfully every day for at least 6-8 months) but I do still try to do it at least some, just because everyone else seems to have such good results with it. I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong, but I can't see what. I feel like I have surely read everything and tried everything, so what is missing???

My midwife daughter says my diastasis is about two fingers wide (I can't feel it myself) and her comment was that she's seen a lot worse, but I just can't seem to see any improvement there, so I'm hoping there will be some helpful answers on this thread!

~Ronda~

just7
    07-16-2009, 11:38 AM

Hi Trisch..I've been doing some of the Tuppler "pulsing" exercise as described in an old thread lately. Thanks for the visual about Lifting the Ribs out of the Ribcage! I would "lift" ribs whenever T says on the DVD, but I wasn't "REALLY" lifting, you know? I can feel my lower abs getting stronger and stronger. I haven't been feeling so much up above my belly button though. Today I AM!! YEAH! I printed off all the things on the recent abs thread that Heidi or Tamara posted.

I guess I'm stlil concerned about that Cavern and wondering if you are supposed to feel muscle coming together in the upper abdomen. Is what I described in my earlier post normal or does it indicate an overly large separation?

Ronda, I don't haven't any answers for you. Obviously! Hoping that we get some more!

Jennifer

BlessedMama
    07-16-2009, 11:50 AM

Well, it sounds like a nice sized separation, if you're feeling it correctly! My diastasis above the belly button was about two fingers, I believe. And yes, I remember it kind of just disappearing!

I did the tupler (not the 1000 a day I can assure you!) for about 6 weeks and that really did help bring things together. I also started realizing how much KLT helps when you really press it. Bend as deep as you can (not past the toes), twist from the hip to get those knees out, if you have the strength and flexibility to, and tuck by pulling belly button to spine--pressing that lower lumbar. Now lift those ribs out of the ribcage! Shoulders back! Can you feel a new sensation in those abs?! I did, and finally understood how Michelle Barbuto (monica213 on the forums) said she got her flat tummy after 6 dc with just the standing workout!!!

It's one of those progressive things--you start where you are. Even at first the Tupler was hard to really pull that belly in. Now I can pull pretty good! (I do about 50 in the shower....when I remember!!! )

I don't have an answer for you, either, Ronda! Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable about that will pop in here!

Did you read the February LTL Thread I bumped up? Kayla Howard (the "zip it up tight" Kayla!) had some advice on there. You'll need to scroll down a bit to find it. More good info as usual!

Here it is: (page 4) https://forum.t-tapp.com/forum/main-...=1716#post1716

And on pg. 2 Michelle gives some great advice:

"Esther is right, Mastery is only achieved with consistency. One never masters the workout as it always changes as we get stronger and more flexible."

Great thoughts!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

just7
    07-16-2009, 01:08 PM

Yeah, Trisch, it's that whole "disappearing" thing that kind of freaked me out this morning! I mean, I've been checking it out periodically as I've searched around here on the forum trying to gain a better understanding. When I checked this morning, really paying attention to things, I just thought "ask the people on the forum. Maybe they have some ideas about whether or not this is normal or do I need to really work hard at this."

Well, we all know the answer to that one, don't we??? Work HARD, Consistently!!!!

Thank you for the further description about tucking the belly button to the spine. As a result of the reading I did this morning on the new/old posts, watching the Yes, You Can Seminar, doing some Tapp Core moves with the kids just a little bit ago and now your post I can see that I have totally missed just how much tightening is supposed to be taking place in the abdomen while you are tucking!!!!!

I know, I know...we can only handle so much at a time and now is the time for me to start concentrating on the tightening.

I think the left of my body has been dominate (even though I am right handed) and so find myself "wobbling" a little when doing Flat Back and especially during Bobbing of Head. Keeping those abs zipped was making a difference this morning.

It's all good!

Jennifer

bevibrant
    07-16-2009, 01:28 PM

Something else to try to "wake-up" the abs...

Lying on the floor after you've put your organs in place and done your tucks, lower butt to the floor then press back flat. Now, lift just one knee to shoulder/chest focusing on keeping the abs tight, scooped in and up and really use the abs, (keep toe pointed). Try it a few times alternating legs until you really feel the activation from the abs while keeping them in tight. Also think to pull the center muscles together. The important thing is to never let the abs pooch out but keep them pulling in to spine...even while standing!

Also, one trainer, (I can't remember which one now) will say--imagine a string tied to your belly button on out through your back pulling the belly button to the spine. GOOD VISUAL!

Make sense?

Kayla Howard
    Master T-Tapp Trainer

just7
    07-16-2009, 01:43 PM

Makes perfect sense, Kayla! I'm definitely going to try this. Look out ABS, here I come!

Jennifer

BlessedMama
    07-16-2009, 03:48 PM

Yeah, Kayla is the QUEEN of how-to-tighten-those-abs! <smiley with crown!>

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

fruitvine
    07-16-2009, 05:01 PM

Just popping in to say "yeah, what Kayla and Trisch said." (I'm trying to get over an upper respiratory infection and my brain is mush today!)

**Charlotte Siems**
    T-Tapp Master Trainer, certified in Senior Fit
    Last edited by Forum Angel; 05-03-2016, 11:39 AM.

Comment

just7
      07-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Thanks Charlotte, I hope you are feeling better soon. Having an URI during the summer is the pits!

I'm praying for you.

Jennifer

bevibrant
      07-16-2009, 09:36 PM

I can't take credit, this is what Teresa does on Critter Crunch.

GET BETTER Charlotte!

*•.¤°°•.Kayla Howard
      Master T-Tapp Trainer

BlessedMama
      07-16-2009, 09:55 PM

Yes, but many don't have it yet, so it's good to share those tidbits!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

just7
      07-17-2009, 06:28 AM
      Unha, Unha (wish there was a NoddingHead Agreeing Smillie!)

I don't know WHEN I'll get Critter Crunch and so I'm really thankful for this tip! In fact, I followed the instruction this morning and had a VERY hard time getting that tightening in the abs. The strange thing is, as I'm driving or sitting or whatever and I concentrate on zipping the abs and doing little pulses, I feel like I am getting so much stronger! Work, and Work, and Work!

I printed off so many things yesterday about OIP, abs, etc. I'm starting a Tapping Notebook!

Jennifer

bevibrant
      07-17-2009, 10:26 AM

Yay!

*•.¤°°•.Kayla Howard
      Master T-Tapp Trainer

Comment

Working...
      X