X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recti split

Originally posted by SharMarie 09-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Hi!

I used to do Kathy Smith's pregnancy workout* and she talked about a recti split that can develop as your body stretches in pregnancy. I'm not sure I'm remembering that term correctly, but the ab muscles stretch apart and I think it can take a while for them to come back together.

If this did happen to me (I am only 5' 2" and none of my 8 babies was under 8 lbs) could such a split still exist? The youngest is almost 8 so that is a long recovery time, but... maybe it could be. I just have ridiculously weak abs and the BWO+ and/or OIP/HF seem to be irritating my back.

Has anyone ever heard of this recti split?

Sharon G.
    * My dd's got a laugh when they saw that the fitness expert who took me through pregnancy now has a menopause video out! *sigh* Time marches on!

BlessedMama
    09-03-2009, 10:16 PM

Diastasis Recti, and yes, if it didn't close, you can have it years after having children!

Organs in Place is a very good move for that! Some moms on the Mommy Fitness forum talked of Julie Tupler's technique, although doing 1000 pulses a day is a nice thought that doesn't usually materialize for most of us!

https://forum.t-tapp.com/forum/t-tap...iastasis-again
    Scroll down about half-way for Isaiah4011--Sara's--post

Here's a link to an article/interview with Julie Tupler:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=56021

I never read her book or did much than try the pulses, and the best I did was about 500 pulses a day using Sara's method.

I felt it did help, but confess to maybe getting 50 pulses in a day now!

I would also watch out doing floor work--if you can't keep those abs zipped up tight and you have a significant diastasis, you can make things worse. Trainer Michelle Barbuto got her flat tummy after 6 dc doing the standing workout. It can be done!

Those are just some random thoughts from an overtired brain tonight! I'm not a trainer, just sharing my experience!

HTH!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

just7
    09-04-2009, 06:52 AM

Yes!! You can still have that split even 8 years after last baby! My 7th baby is turning 8 this month. (My babies were 7lbs, over 9, over 8 (for the next 2), over 9 (for the next 2), and the last was just over 10lbs) I have started a couple of threads about the recti split (under diastasis).

When I first started doing T-Tapp in June, I couldn't find my upper ab muscles! My fingers could find the V where the split started just below my belly button and I could feel the edges widening, but then I could not feel ANYTHING a little past my waist. It was like there was a HUGE cavern. I just checked on it again on Saturday and I found my upper abs!!!! I was beyond excited!!!

I have worked on setting LATS, zipping up abs, and doing those tuppler pulses (as per the links that Trisch posted), lifting ribs. I am working harder on pressing the lower lumbar. I am also doing OIP/HF 2x a day. I have hopes that the upper bulge that is my upper abs will greatly diminish! (you can see it in my pictures if you click on my profile)

Jennifer

eshlemania
    09-04-2009, 07:18 AM

My baby is 18 going on 19. I never knew I had it till I got to t-tapp. T-tapp helps and do not do the floor work until you are sure-it will make it worse!! I have done the tupler exercises and I found like Trisch, it is something I just don't do on a regular basis. BUT, when I do do it, even if only 25 at a time 2 or 3 times a day, it does seem to help. Also when tightening tummy and pulling belly button to spine, concentrate on getting the upper abdomen tight too. I try to visualize the 'hole' around the belly button pulling in tight. And Charlotte said once the Teresa told her to lift those ribs, it helps you tighten those abs.

Good luck! T-tapp will take care of it.

Bev

Joyfirst
    09-04-2009, 07:56 PM

MY son is six and when he was six weeks the nurse told me I have my muscles separated, but she didn't relly gave me any tips on how to deal with it. How do I know if I still have it? I don't seem to have any problems working out.

BlessedMama
    09-04-2009, 09:00 PM

Lie on your back on the floor. Knees bent, feet flat. Lift your head and feel below and above the navel. If you have the split, you will be able to put a finger (or two or three or your whole hand!!! ) in the split.

When I first checked mine a year and a half ago, it was three fingers wide below the navel, 1 1/2-2 fingers wide above. After really focusing on the Tupler and OIP for 6 weeks, it closed to 1 finger above and 1 1/2 below! It had mostly closed above, but I started floor work and didn't realize how much I lost ab engagement. It is less than 1 finger wide but pretty much all the up above the abs, and that to closed below. I know I need to keep working on it--I am understanding more about keeping things "zipped up tight", and I'm learning that I don't have to keep up with Teresa on floorwork!

And really, if you tuck, curl from the core pressing belly button to spine during the standing workouts, and really push knees out in KLT, you work that ab area, too!

I hope that helps!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

SharMarie
    09-04-2009, 09:17 PM

This is something! I just followed the link to the Tupler exercise (thanks, Trisch!) and I've been trying to do this in my car lately! The description in the article gives me a better way to visualize what I should be doing, to do it better. So I was on to something already!

But, is it ok if I focus on this Tupler exercise and don't worry about the tucking of the buns at the same time? I think I should be tucking my buns but it gets to be a lot to think about, in the car, at a red light!

Thanks so much for chiming in, everyone! You were all helpful! I'll find the diastasis discussions when I have a minute. There is so much information in this forum!!!

God bless,
    Sharon

SharMarie
    09-04-2009, 09:23 PM

Jennifer,

I checked your profile and can really see the difference! Good for you! So you have found that you can do the tupler exercise and the OIP/HF and get good results? I was thinking I'd have to put off OIP for a while.

Sharon

BlessedMama
    09-04-2009, 09:50 PM

Sharon, just do what you can! I would try to keep ribs lifted, if anything. Of course, the tuck helps, but it's a progression!

Doing it in the shower, I'll stand in KLT and flip palms back and then do the pulses--I started out doing them against a wall because I didn't have the abdominal strength to keep from using my back to help out! So I've come a long way, too!

And remember Sara's (Isaiah4011) advice (from the Mommy Forum)--she would just do it until fatigued. Kind of like T-Tapp--as you tire, your form can suffer. I sometimes only can do 20 pulses at a time. I don't keep track anymore of how many through the day. I've been bad about them lately, but may try to incorporate them.

Yes, you can do OIP! That is different than other floor exercises, as you are actually helping to activate the ab muscles and establish NK flow there. Just don't lift the buns too high--barely off the floor for me to be able to dig in and push things around. Sherry's tips here are great--really helps me connect with those abs!

https://forum.t-tapp.com/forum/main-...incredible-abs

You'll need to scroll down after the first post to Tamara's post--Sherry's got cut off and Tamara supplied the rest!

HTH!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

just7
    09-05-2009, 09:37 AM

I agree with just doing what you can. Every time I tuck my butt, my ribs come forward! Way to go, Trisch...building strength. Your tips and helps are SOO helpful! You have a way of helping us to visualize!

One thing I would say, while driving, if your ribs are lifted and you pull in that belly button to the spine, you may find that you are just naturally Curling the Core. Try it, sit up tall---lift the ribs, suck in the belly button...can you feel your lower lumbar just wanting to curl in just that little bit?

If I try to curl in harder, I start to lose shoulders-back. But, like Trisch said, as our abs get stronger, our backs get stronger we will be able to curl that core even more!

Hope this helps!

Jennifer

just7
    09-05-2009, 09:39 AM

Ooops, forgot to say, thanks Sharon for the notice about my upper abs. I'm a little anxious to take another picture and see if there is any more difference after this week of REALLY focusing on those abs. I can "see" it when I look in the mirror---but those pictures tell the REAL story!

Jennifer

AngelLeigh
    09-05-2009, 11:19 AM

2-3 fingers before LadyBug Floor

I had that after my 1st baby when I was 29! It never got healed through all the rest...and probably was a big reason my stomach always pooched out alot.

Before LadyBug Floor (and the 60-Day challenge 2008) I could put 2-3 fingures between those up and down muscles (when laying on the floor doing OIP) I also had a vertical & a horizontal scar from 2 different eptoptic pregnancy surgeries.

Checking now, after reading this thread....(and still doing LadyBug Floor 3x week(of course OIP) I found I only get 1 finger 'in' those muscles.

Hey, didn't notice before!!!

BlessedMama
    09-05-2009, 12:28 PM

WOO-HOO! Go, Girl!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    Last edited by Forum Angel; 05-03-2016, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X