Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• now totally confused! HELP

Originally posted by skoch 03-15-2009, 03:45 PM

I am wondering if someone could comment on where the majority of your weight should rest, while in the "T-Tapp stance". I thought I was doing it right, but now feel I may be too far forward. My quads feel very worked and are seeming to be getting bigger. My heels are staring to hurt as well.
    Also, though I thought I had the shoulder alignment and lat position down, after reading some of the recent comments, I think I have that wrong too! I don't get the concept of setting lats without pulling shoulders back/down at all! I have been consciously trying to pull my shoulders back and down more often than not and thought I was "fixing" my poor posture and slight shoulder pronation. Now I feel confused.

Can anyone explain these two concepts clearly?

~*~ Sharon ~*~

Live Vintageously
    03-15-2009, 04:20 PM

Skoch, the boards are fairly quiet on the weekends, so a trainer should be by to answer you questions at the beginning of the week.

I'm also curious about the lats. I just did the Warm-up Stretches DVD and Teresa had a great shoulder roll tweak at the beginning of the workout, mainly where you think about squeezing the shoulder blades together while lifting ribs, instead of actively trying to pull your shoulders down. Did I understand that right? I know my lats and upper back were incredibly sore when I finished the workout. And it didn't feel like I was working that hard. Maybe because I was on the floor?

BlessedMama
    03-15-2009, 04:33 PM

Not sure I can explain it well, but I will say that remember it's a progression. For me, I really got it in the past few months. And sometimes it just takes someone saying it the right way for you to "get it"!

I would say that yes, I'm squeezing shoulder blades together a bit to bring the shoulders back. I think it was at the Indy Master Class last spring Teresa said not to focus on bringing them "down", but back. That has helped me a lot.

I agree with Live Vintageously, bump this up tomorrow and hopefully a trainer will chime in with advice!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

skoch
    03-15-2009, 04:42 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I don't know how to bump, but hope one of the trainers will just look for newer posts!

~*~ Sharon ~*~

Live Vintageously
    03-15-2009, 04:54 PM

Trisch, I've been tweaking and focusing on bring my shoulders/shoulder blades back with ribs lifted. It really works! My lats and back muscles were so sore and fatigued that I had to take an extra day off, something that I haven't felt in a long time!

Skoch To bump, all you do is reply to this thread with the word "bump" or something along those lines.

I agree with Trisch (BlessedMama), it just takes the right description or words and suddenly it clicks - an "aha" moment! And when it does, you thrill in it (and put it too good use!) until it's time for the next progression, the next "aha" moment.

But don't become too frustrated over overwhelmed. Keep asking questions and jsut go with what you've got, where you're at. Don't give up

moon
    03-16-2009, 11:35 PM

here's my take on it...i hope it helps!

in the t-tapp stance my weight is spread evenly amongst my heels, last two toes and the big toe ball joint. To prevent tipping forward can you lift up your big toe?

are you keeping your shoulders aligned with your hips and your butt tucked? if you lean forward that might be causing the bigger quads

for the shoulder alignment i lift them up, back then down half way. look at yourself in the mirror while you try this. the key is to square your shoulders rather than pulling them down too much. if you square your shoulders and have your ribs lifted it should help you feel your lats.

do you feel them?

another way i find my lats is to do the above then put my arms into the position you do for hoe-downs and keep my elbows close to my body...try that

don't get discouraged. it took me a long time to get connected with my lats

°•. °•. °•. Isabel Prudencio .•° .•° .•°
    T-Tapp Trainer - Toronto and the GTA
    Certified Personal Trainer (CanFitPro)

skoch
    03-17-2009, 08:12 AM

Thank you Moon for the information. I'm continuing to work on this. I'll be attending a training session in April with Kirsten which I am really looking forward to. Perhaps, she will offer me some insight!

~*~ Sharon ~*~

mlerallo
    03-17-2009, 09:01 AM

Sharon,
    I'm so excitd that you can attend the April training! In regards to your post, I read all of the replies & really focused on ribs up & squeezing my shoulder blades instead of putting my shoulders down & boy am I sore today! It's like taking a deep breath & then squeezing your shoulder blades. You really feel yourself straighten up!
    See you next month!

skoch
    03-17-2009, 02:43 PM

looking forward to it! Just imagine all the expert advice we will walk away with

~*~ Sharon ~*~

Comment

Dantheman
      03-20-2009, 08:37 AM

Hi Skoch,
      To address your two areas of confusion, lets start in the beginning with setting up the T-Tapp Stance.

T-OFF
      1.Position your left foot straight forward.
      2.Bring your right foot heel to the instep of the left foot at a 90 degree angle.
      3.Swivel the right foot on the ball of the foot until the foot is pointing forward. Align toe lines of feet so that they are evenly positioned forming a straight line from shoe top to shoe top. (This sequence for the majority of people will place the feet directly under the hips).
      4.Slightly slide your toes inward just a little to create a Pigeon Toed feeling. Check the outside alignment of your shoes. From heel to about the Little Toe knuckle of each foot should be parallel to each other. Suggesting, you check this on a hard wood or ceramic floor and compare to their straight lines.
      5.When all the above conditions are correct, Plant or Lock you feet on the floor.

Tuck
      1.With ears over shoulder, shoulders over hips, hips over ankles and standing tall, begin to pivot pelvis up while applying a press to the lower back and pulling the navel to spine to obtain a straight/aligned spine and a flatter stomach. (For more advanced, Pull-in and tighten, Lower and Upper Abs too)

Lift Rib Cage
      1.Lift Rib Cage to increase distance from bottom rib to hip bone.

Tighten Lats
      (Helpful TIP) To properly engage the Lats, you need to be able to recognize the correct muscle group. With time and experience you will develop musle recognition and will not need this tip.

The following steps can help.
      1.Follow the steps from T-OFF to Lift Rib Cage.
      2.Place arms pointing to the floor and open hands to a Jazz position.
      3.Rotate Shoulders and hands to point the thumbs toward the back wall.
      4.Position arms slightly away from your side which will raise your hands up from the floor an inch or two.
      5.Open you chest by trying to extend your shoulders out to the side walls.
      (Maintain that TUCK)
      6.IN- Hale and Pull your shoulders straight up toward you ears as high as you can get them and HOLD.
      7.With in just a few seconds you should begin to feel the TRAPS engage with some intensity. Continue to hold and feel the TRAPS tighten.
      8.IN-Hale and Slowly, Slowly begin to lower your shoulders while pressing them back and down. As you do, pay attention to the decease of muscle engagement and intensity of the TRAPS.
      9.When you feel the release of the TRAPS muscles, Stop lowering the Shoulders and begin to close the gap/distance between the Shoulder Blades and engage the LATS while continuing to Press the lower back, Navel to Spine and Abs TIGHT.

KLT
      1.Feet Hip width apart, TUCK and PRESS the lower back, Navel to Spine, Abs tight, Ribs Up and LATs engaged,
      2.Gently let the knees begin to bend pointing towards little toe. (NEVER, let your Knee extend past your Toes!) Don’t let your body lean forward or backward. Maintain the Ear to Should to Hip to Ankle Alignment. Body Weight will be directed to the outside area of the feet not to the inside (Ach). In this position, as you progress in strength and flexibility, there will come a time when you begin to roll the ankle. When you notice this occurring, Look up "No Big Toe" instructions.

Hope this infor resolves any confusion!

Dantheman

Comment

skoch
        03-26-2009, 02:59 PM

correct positioning

Hey Dantheman, Thanks for the in depth response. I missed your post initially, but appreciate your taking the time to explain this stuff. I am working on all that you suggested. Thanks!

Oh and by the way, I think I'm already lifting the arch up and rolling onto the sides of my feet with KLT. I am now trying to tweak the whole ball jointdown / toe up "thing", but find it difficult to think about, while concentrating on the million other aspects of proper form!!!

~*~ Sharon ~*~

monica213
        03-26-2009, 04:16 PM

Skotch,

you do not want to implement BBJ with your plantar faciitis. As per Teresa:

I do NOT believe in putting body weight into the ball joint of the big toe while attempting to rehabilitate foot issues, especially PF!!!

So when you do stair "stretches", focus on placing your body weight into your last 3 toes while lifting and lowering your body. You should immediately feel the difference in metatarsal and PF support.

Furthermore, I am very familair with combat boot foot issues too (my brother is a Marine and in addition to active duty in both Kuwait and Iraq, he also marched for 2 years in the special parade unit in DC) Those lovely combat boots don't really provide enough arch or ankle support, especially during bootcamp never ending jogging and marching ...BUT you CAN CREATE arch and ankle support with internal muscle activation with KLT and focus on using your last 3 toes during any/all walking, jogging and marching. This also provides better knee alignment - my brother told me that a lot of his colleagues received major knee relief with NBT (no big toe) application (which means last 3 toes during step follow through...you'll "feel" your big toe ball joint at last minute BUT the weight of your body does not push into it)

I hope this all makes sense to you.

Best wishes,

Teresa Tapp

Michelle Barbuto RN - Specializing in Physical Rehab Nursing
        (¯`*•.¸Master T-Tapp Trainer, Trainer Mentor,
        Mommy Fitness Trainer, Forum Moderator¸.•*´¯)

skoch
        03-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Thanks michelle. I sure don't want to aggravate this problem. It has not gotten any better and I'm just T-Tapping through it but paying for it every morning when I get up and step on the floor.

~*~ Sharon ~*~

Comment

Working...
        X