Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't Wanna!!

Originally posted by Nighean Ruadh 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM

What do you do when you just do not want to workout?

I have been tapping for a little over two years now. I am a member of Habit Formers and have consistently worked out three to five times a week (usually BWO+ or SATI) for most of my tapping history. In general, I have really enjoyed tapping. For the past several months, though, I have not wanted to work out. I still make myself do it, although sometimes it is only twice a week.

I also feel as though I can't hit my max anymore. It seems impossible to get a good, hard tuck (especially when walking) when I used to do it automatically. It's frustrating, because I want to really feel it, even more so since it takes some effort to make myself start the workout in the first place. I just did Tempo Torso, and my legs feel as though they are going to give out. It used to make my abs sore to do even the BWO+ portion of it. Sigh...

Any thoughts? What do you do when you go through a workout slump?

adrianne
    04-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Karen, this is how it works for me. When I really feel that I just can't workout because my body is not up to it, I don't. Forcing myself ends up being counter-productive mentally and physically, for me. When I just listen to my body and take a needed break, I usually come back to Tapping refreshed and eager to get going again.

Also, tucking is usually pretty automatic for me, too. When I find that I can't even get a good tuck while walking or exercising I know that my body is tired, really tired. It's really amazing how sometimes I can tuck really strongly and maintain it well while other times my muscles can't even think about tucking, lol! It's the same thing with keeping proper form in general and going to my max. It just doesn't happen if I am exhausted. For me the key is to listen to my body, not my mind which is often like a bossy drill sergeant!
    One more thing. MORE (especially FMHTY) has been a lifesaver for me, especially on days when I'm just not up for anything else. With proper form and going to your max (on days when you able) you can get a really good workout!

Izzy02
    04-21-2010, 04:20 PM

I agree w/you adrianne too...I really like MORE also (FMHTY). I thought I didn't like it in the beginning..but I guess that's because my form was not too good. But now I really work my form and this workout is only 27 minutes long and I feel like I really worked it good. So when I too don't feel like working out...I too try to go for a shorter workout.

Maybe too Karen, if you feel you are in a slump...maybe you could change your T-Tapp workout just by trying a different one. Well I wish you luck.
    Hugs, Donna

pat-nj
    04-21-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Nighean Ruadh View Post
    Any thoughts? What do you do when you go through a workout slump?
    I change the kind of workout I do and I mean go to yoga or pilates or jazzercise or even something like running -

It's only one step, one choice in the journey and letting the body have another kind of movement for some period of time can bring you back to wanting something that you love.

That's assuming you can do SOMETHING active on a regular basis - ? Or is it a slump from activity in general? I have had those too - associated with depression (in my case).

Pat

terriblack
    04-21-2010, 06:44 PM

i agree change up your workouts =)

BlessedMama
    04-21-2010, 07:25 PM

MOREs my saving grace, too!

I mean, Chair on MORE is only 10 minutes. So I tell myself, "Come on! You can do 10 minutes!"

I also back off after a push. After Tappy Holidays, I usually barely get 3 workouts per week in. I go with it now. In Feb. I did an online class with Lani, then backed off for several weeks. My goal right now is 3-4 workouts, bumping it up if I need to to keep losing. But I'm in a busy season right now, and I've learned to not push in too many areas or I crash and do nothing!

So I second (or third or fourth!) MORE! MORE Broom is only 7 minutes, too! And it is EXCELLENT for refocusing on form!

HUGS!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

Nighean Ruadh
    04-21-2010, 07:34 PM

I don't have MORE and getting it isn't possible right now. I do switch up my workouts (BWO+, BWO+ Tempo, SATI, Tempo Torso), but I still have to force myself to do it. And, as I said, this has been going on for months now. I used to be so excited about tapping. I want to keep doing it; I know it's an effective workout.

I guess I just feel blah about it currently...

~ Karen ~

fruitvine
    04-21-2010, 08:03 PM

Life happens and we all definitely go through workout slumps!

I had some of that this spring and to my surprise, stepping up the schedule for a couple of weeks solved it. I mixed up various versions of BWO+, like Tempo Arms BWO+, Tempo Torso BWO+, etc. and SATI, doing these short workouts 5-6 days a week. By the end of the second week I was getting back into the daily habit of T-Tapp and I was noticing increased energy, strength and toning. It was interesting to me that the *opposite* of what I would usually do (work out less) was what worked.

I also find it helpful to get on the forums, do searches, and re-read parts of Fit and Fabulous to get me motivated again. Just throwing out some more ideas for you to consider in your search for what will work for you!

**Charlotte Siems**
    T-Tapp Master Trainer, certified in Senior Fit
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

BlessedMama
    04-21-2010, 08:04 PM

So tell yourself you only have to do 4 reps of BWO+. Or do the Terrific Three (PBS, TTT and HD) or the Fab Four (add TTN to the Terrific Three!).

Sometimes I tell myself I only need to do PBS, Plies and Reach Scoops, then I can stop. Most of the time I go on. Sometimes, I do stop!

Hope that helps some! It's hard sometimes, to figure out if there's a real reason for the slump or we just need a kick in the buns. Sometimes you just push through it, others you might need to give yourself a minimal schedule for awhile.

HUGS!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

nanburr
    04-21-2010, 11:02 PM

Karen, it may not be possible for you right now, but perhaps you could aim for attending a clinic. What a shot in the arm - everybody sharing this sort of thing, getting tweaked, lots of love all around. Another thing you might do is communicate with a trainer personally, on line. For instance, a few might jump in here (thanks, Charlotte!) Sometimes a little personal attention will do wonders. I remember when Cheryl Dodd got on the Turtle thread and she gave a few "assignments" - very doable and short things for the Turtles, who were feeling like nothing was "happening", even after all our hard work. She even sent an occasional personal message. So encouraging.

It's good that you wrote. Everybody goes through this sometime, and people share what helps them (and their commiseration in frustration.) Something shared may resonate with you and give you a heart to do something new - or just differently. Or just to go ahead and keep going.

Nancy

Piglet2u
    04-21-2010, 11:57 PM

Karen, first of all, taking a break will work wonders for you.
    I'd suggest a week and if you still feel angst about WO'ing out again, take a few more days until you feel ready to begin again. But do watch your diet to not overdo with the cheats during this time.

When you are ready, mix things up. Your body will settle into a routine and accept it as the "norm" which brings about a plateau. Our bodies were designed to be very efficient when we nuture it correctly.

I try to mix up my WO's every 4-6 weeks. It might be as easy as changing from the
    MORE WO w/o Instr to doing FMHTY. Sometimes I add in a shorter WO to that on my WO days. Each month I try to add in another WO, too, like this month THE BROOM.
    That one packs a wallup!! I was only able to do the first segment! I'll be working my way up to more segments over the next few months. I also tried a new WO yesterday.
    This is a real reality check. Boy do my arms need work! An older VHS called Mini-Max Series 1 Upper Body/Arms showed me that!

The more T-Tapp WO's you have in your library, the more fun it will be and the more your body will benefit.

I invite all of you to come and join in on the POST YOUR T-TAPP MORE WORKOUTS HERE thread. Most all do the MORE WO and some do others or a combination of WO's.
    Lots of great people there to lift you up and encourage you!

Piglet2u
    Never give up!

Comment

Dantheman
      04-27-2010, 02:16 PM

Hi Karen,
      This is a bummer to deal with isn’t it? Wanting to feel your Personal Max during your workouts and not being able to find it. Seems like you have gotten a variety of inputs of how to work through this and they all seem right for the person writing them. But stepping out or stepping up which way to go? Have you decided yet?
      Here is my input. You can take it or leave it. But if you Take IT….. You will reach a new level or PERSONAL MAX and will have a new perspective and awareness of Your Power, Strength, Flexibility, Muscle Activation and a new found POWER of T-Tapp. This will change your workouts so much so that you may not recognize this as the same workout that you have been so dedicated to for the last two years.
      For those who will read this, this message is targeted to Karen who now has two years of T-Tapp experience and has a solid foundation of the T-Tapp movements and T-Tapp Principles. You should use caution before accepting these suggestions!

Karen, take two days off. Kick back and smell the roses (PBS Only twice a day)! I want you to begin thinking about T-Tapp with a new mind set. Think of T-Tapp in terms of an athletic workout, not just a body rehab or slimming program. T-Tapp is by all means all of these things, but it also has all the necessary components to be MORE than you think if you STEP IT UP a notch or two. Think MUSCLE TUNING!
      Have great muscle cuts on your arms, defined muscle tone on your back; Six pack AB’s and Great Looking legs! Yes, for the next two days, begin to see a new You! Don’t leave out any deals. After you have set this vision in you head, go back and fine tune it. Get very descriptive about how you want to look! Imagine deeper separations between your biceps and triceps, lats, abs, thighs and calves. How do you look? Have you captured the true you? The you, you want to become and keep forever and forever? From toes to hair style? The complete package! Are you there yet..? When your mental image is PERFECT,
      STORE THIS IMAGE and keep it ready to pull up on demand! Now let’s get started!

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT!
      • Schedule time for each workout.
      • Before each workout I will pull up my NEW IMAGE and carefully review it from head to toe.
      • I will workout to achieve this Image.
      • Each segment of each move will be performed with an athlete’s attitude to challenge myself to achieve my Personal MAX.
      • I will perform each move with Proper Form
      • I will perform each move using ISOMETRIC CONTRACTIONS (Building Internal Resistance to oppose the move)
      • During my workouts I will become more aware of my muscle awareness, locations and the compound muscle activation of each move
      • I will be CONSISTENT! Consistent with FORM, ISOMETRIC CONTRACTIONS, my Performance of each move and with my Workout Schedule.
      • I will work my muscles to fatigue. I will feel them quiver and shake.
      • I will not over extent myself but I will push to my limits.
      • I will slip my water not drink it.
      • I will INHALE deep when I am set up to perform a move and EXHALE during the execution of the move.
      • I will become the Image I have created for myself.
      • (Add to as needed)
      Are you in agreement to your Rules of Engagement? YES?

Karen, Let’s start this new journey with Instructional #1. As Teresa begins to set you up in T-Tapp Stance, execute each of her commands with exaggeration. Example: When she says to lift shoulders up, back and down. Then PULL SHOULDERS UP, all the way up close to the ears, then Pull them Straight backward to Backwall, then down and lock in the Lats. Before you let her go to Flat Back, pulse the tape and do a Form check. As you do your check, also do an Isometric Contraction to confirm your check. Example: I’m I Tucked? Pull the AB’s in tighter (have I included the Lower, Mid and High AB’s in my Tuck. What about the region between by lower AB’s and Pelvis; TIGTEN THIS TOO and suck it in, raise Pelvis higher, Don’t forget to also tighten Butt, Press the Lower back to straighten the Spine, Lift RIBS ( can I raise them an extra 1/8 inch.) What about your legs? What are they doing. Yes I am KLT, but my legs are doing anything! Well, let get them engaged. Use your Body Weight to PRESS your weight down through your thighs downward PRES PRESS , down through the calves to the bottom of your feet letting all that pressure rest on the outside of your feet while in KLT! FEEL IT! Your Hands are positioned on your butt. But are you really pressing them into the butt? With your Lats engaged, Press those hands hard into the butt. Your arms muscle engagement is from your shoulders to the palms of your hands. Are my Ears over my Shoulders? Are my Shoulders over my HIPs? Are my HIPs over my Ankles? OK,, T-Tapp Stance is Checked and you have a Total Body muscle activation status. IS THIS A STEP UP from your old normal position?
      Ready to go FLAT BACK?

Let's GO! Over Flat Back.. No, not like that. Let’s WORK IT! Enhale Big and Exhale as you execute! Press the Lower Back and Press Press those hands into the butt, Don’t let your butt initiate the move! Use your hand pressure to resist the butt from moving backward. As you begin to let your shoulders move forward towards the floor, use your Abs to help to resist the shoulder movement. ISOMETRIC CONTRACTIONS are working here!! Arms resisting butt, Abs resisting Shoulders. WORK! FEEL the move! BE the MOVE! Don’t just accept the position of FLAT Back,,,, PRESS PRESS and FEEL your muscles. Keep KLT, AB’s in tight, body weight pressing down to feet! Keep going until your Shoulders are parallel with the floor and your eyes are looking straight down to the floor. ELBOW’s are pointing up to ceiling with LATS engaged; Butt is Lifted up to ceiling!! AB’s are still sucked up and in, Body weight still being pressed downward to feet.

Inhale Big and Exhale Bigger

Ready to straighten Right leg? Use the example steps described above. EXAGGERATE Teresa’s command. Take your time; use the PULSE Button, Breathe. Remember, each segment of each move!!! WORK IT, CHECK Form with ISOMETRIC Confirmation!

But MAKE IT FUN and FEEL Your Power and the Power of T-Tapp!

Dantheman

Comment

kbickel46
        04-27-2010, 03:48 PM

Wow, I know this was intended for Karen, but I have to say THANK YOU, this was exactly what I needed to read, and needed to read today.

I'm going to print this Dantheman! And when I need a push, this will be my go to. And the rules are perfect.

Just perfect and just what I needed! THANK YOU!

So glad you posted this Karen, as we all have those days!

Katie B

BlessedMama
        04-27-2010, 04:18 PM

*off to update the "Dan Fan Club" list*

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

adrianne
        04-27-2010, 09:02 PM

Oh my, Dan. I've been so tired this evening that I didn't even think I had the energy to haul myself off to bed. Now, after reading your post, I feel like I want to workout right now! It will be fun just to SAVOR and Exaggerate every aspect of each move. Can't wait to feel and enjoy the power of T-Tapp! Thanks for the encouragement to Karen and to rest of us, too!

Nighean Ruadh
        04-28-2010, 07:47 AM

Thanks, everyone.

Wow, Dan!! I'll take you up on it. I was basically still just going on as I had been, making myself workout when I could and even when I didn't want to. I'm taking a couple days off, though, as you said, and then I'll really push it to the max. I'm planning to do the 60-Day Challenge, so we'll see what happens. If I do well enough, you might get to see pictures.

~ Karen ~

yoginimom
        04-28-2010, 08:02 AM

All great suggestion... I am just going to say that I think you have been doing great! So you have a psychological slump toward working out... you have been consistent for a very long time. I think you already know what to do. :-) We love you!!!

Mindy

Dantheman
        04-28-2010, 08:09 AM

Thanks, everyone.

Wow, Dan!! I'll take you up on it. I was basically still just going on as I had been, making myself workout when I could and even when I didn't want to. I'm taking a couple days off, though, as you said, and then I'll really push it to the max. I'm planning to do the 60-Day Challenge, so we'll see what happens. If I do well enough, you might get to see pictures.
        Karen,
        I think you meant to say> I am going to do Great during the 60 Day Challenge using my new Rules of Engagement and my Pictures will be posted everwhere!

Wishing you the BEST!

Dantheman

Nighean Ruadh
        04-28-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by Dantheman View Post
        Karen,
        I think you meant to say> I am going to do Great during the 60 Day Challenge using my new Rules of Engagement and my Pictures will be posted everwhere!

Wishing you the BEST!

Dantheman
        Oh, right. That's what I meant to say.

~ Karen ~

Tara*
        04-28-2010, 08:42 AM

Dear Dan, you are just perfect!

Dantheman
        04-28-2010, 10:20 AM

Tara,
        I don't want to disappoint you, BUT,,,,, Perfect and Dan or Dantheman should never be used in the same sentence. I am just like all of us here on the Forums, helping, learning and progressing on the T-Tapp Journey!

Adrianne,
        Well, did you get your workout in lastnight?LOL!! Have you FELT the Power of T-Tapp today?

BessedMama,
        Aren't you something! You fine me every time.

Dantheman

Tina71
        04-28-2010, 10:26 AM

Great post Dan!

Tina

cbuffy
        04-28-2010, 11:24 AM

It's her "Dan Radar". Your advise shines through so strongly that we are drawn to it like flies to incredibly painful honey. (grin)

I printed out your rules of engagement and used them this morning to take everything to a new level. Who would have guessed my muscles were capable of that much? (And that one body could sweat that much in a session..)

Thank you again for sharing your wisdom.
        Puffy

Cbuffy

Dantheman
        04-28-2010, 12:07 PM

OH Puffy Heart,
        Did you think I wanted to make you SWEAT!! LOL! What I wanted was to make you swim out of your SWEAT POOL when your workout was completed. It makes for a nice little cool down.

Glad you have FELT your POWER today!

"Dan Radar" how does that work? She most have well rod rigged upto intercept my post! LOL! That country gal, has some unually gifts too!

Dantheman

joyfulmom26
        04-28-2010, 06:26 PM

Wow Dan! I'm sweating just READING that! Thanks AGAIN!

Polly, mom to 6

ohmyhead
        04-28-2010, 07:05 PM

I just love this forum. You never know when you respond to a post who is reading and how you might help them. Reading this thread was just the inspiration I needed today. I took Dans suggestions / challenge and really "played" with my workout today. Not only was it great physically...it was also great mentally to approach it from this mindset. Exaggerating moves made it more fun and less serious than what is normal for me. Not that I didn't concentrate on form - of course I did. But I gave myself "permission" to question what I thought was normal, ask more of my body, and flirt with the moves instead of trying to "just get through them". Thanks to everyone who contributed to the motivation and "mini-win" for me today!

Dantheman
        04-30-2010, 11:21 AM

Hi Karen,
        Have you started back up yet? If you have, do you have any new "AH HA" moments or the like you would like to share with us?

Dantheman

adrianne
        04-30-2010, 12:23 PM

Dan, I've been concentrating on MORE (FMHTY) because of an injury. Your tips have brought it up to a whole new level for me. Who could have known what a SUPER DUPER KILLER workout MORE could be I just LOVE it!

Dantheman
        04-30-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by adrianne View Post
        Dan, I've been concentrating on MORE (FMHTY) because of an injury. Your tips have brought it up to a whole new level for me. Who could have known what a SUPER DUPER KILLER workout MORE could be I just LOVE it!
        Hi Adrianne,
        ISN'T THAT SOMETHING! Imagine, MORE being MORE than you knew. OR should I say, You finding MORE of a Personal MAX then you imagined! GOOD WORK and Kept up your progression. This is all part of the T-Tapp Progression Journey! LEARN-TEACH-LEARN an endless but PRICELESS path!

Don't over due it. Protect the injury!

Dantheman

Nighean Ruadh
        04-30-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Dantheman View Post
        Hi Karen,
        Have you started back up yet? If you have, do you have any new "AH HA" moments or the like you would like to share with us?

Dantheman
        Hey, Dan.

I ended up taking three days off; the last time I worked out was on Monday. During the time off, I followed your instructions: I did PBS and visualized the body I want. I did start incorporating your "Rules of Engagement" with PBS and really concentrated on tightening everything and pushing it to the max. By yesterday afternoon, I was champing at the bit to get back to a full workout!! However, I restrained myself.

I started back today with Instructional 1, as you said. (I added Hoe Downs at the end of it.) I just finished, and I am wiped out!!! I really focused on keeping proper alignment and full muscle engagement. I have never had to kick out so many times and take so many breathers during a single workout before!! By the end, everything was burning and I was about to collapse. It felt GREAT!

The biggest "AHA moment" was with Oil Wells. After making sure that my knees were correctly aligned over my ankles and everything was engaged, I concentrated very hard on keeping my ribs up and lats locked. Oh, WOW!!! I really felt it all through my thighs--as I never had before. Since my thighs are my biggest "problem," it was quite satisfying to feel the burn there.

Now I am ready to go brush and take a shower, provided my legs will let me walk in there.

Thanks so much for checking!! Your advice and encouragement is so wonderful--and muchly appreciated!!!!

~ Karen ~

usasiamom
        05-02-2010, 09:52 AM

I love Dan's Captain Inspiration approach. You are awesome, Dan!

I had trouble getting motivated, as well. I tried many tricks, and what worked the best for me was making myself little "Loyalty card" doodads. You know those little cards you can get at Starbucks, etc where each time you buy whatnot they stamp a square on the card, and when X number of squares are stamped you get a goodie?

I made 1/6th page large cards on card stock with the name of each month at the top, and then a grid below with the the number of workouts I want done each month. I chose 15. I made it look good, because I can and I like it. At the bottom of each month's card are the "terms and conditions": 10-14 workouts is similar to "Great job, girl! But no prize" and the full 15 workouts entitles me to a $10 gift certificate anywhere I want.

This little card thingie works great. I just jot the date quickly on the workout number square (number 1, 2, 3, etc) and I can see at a glance how well I'm doing that month. I love it. So much easier than scheduling workouts: and positively mentally associates to getting a goodie at the end!

Ann in Malaysia

Dantheman
        05-03-2010, 06:48 AM

Hey, Dan.

I ended up taking three days off; the last time I worked out was on Monday. During the time off, I followed your instructions: I did PBS and visualized the body I want. How Great does she look? I did start incorporating your "Rules of Engagement" These are your RULES OF ENGAGEMENT! Mine are quite different.with PBS and really concentrated on tightening everything and pushing it to the max. By yesterday afternoon, I was champing at the bit to get back to a full workout!! However, I restrained myself. So, is it fair to say that you have gone from "I DON"T WANNA" to I can't wait for my next Athletic T-Tapp workout?

I started back today with Instructional 1, as you said. (I added Hoe Downs at the end of it.) I just finished, and I am wiped out!!!
        This new level of intesity will do that. Take your time. It will take a while to build up your endurance to complete a Full workout at this level. Do Instructional #1 for a week then go to Instrcutional #2 and do it for a week before trying TWO! Working out at this level, remember, LESS is MORE! Do EOD! SATI or HTLH on off days I really focused on keeping proper alignment and full muscle engagement. Just as it should be! I have never had to kick out so many times and take so many breathers during a single workout before!! By the end, everything was burning and I was about to collapse. YOU MAKE ME SMILE!! It felt GREAT! Your POWER combined with the Power of T-TAPP! ALWAYS a WINNING Combination.

PROPER FORM, ISOMETRIC CONTRACTIONS, and CONSISTENCY!!

The biggest "AHA moment" was with Oil Wells. After making sure that my knees were correctly aligned over my ankles and everything was engaged, I concentrated very hard on keeping my ribs up and lats locked. Oh, WOW!!! I really felt it all through my thighs--as I never had before. Since my thighs are my biggest "problem," it was quite satisfying to feel the burn there. One of your RULES OF ENGAGEMENT; "I will feel my muscles quiver and shake"!! Are you glad you have that Rule!

Now I am ready to go brush and take a shower, provided my legs will let me walk in there.

Thanks so much for checking!! Your advice and encouragement is so wonderful--and muchly appreciated!!!!
        NO THANKS REQUIRED>>>>Your welcome.

Dantheman

Dantheman
        05-03-2010, 06:57 AM

Hello Ann in Malaysa,
        Your PETTY Card WORKOUT accountability sounds Great! Maybe you could Scan last months card into a PDF file and attached it! Also a add short note about what got with your GIFT. Others may find that your system is one that will work for them too!
        Thanks for your input!

Dantheman

Comment

Working...
        X