X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Want To Change? OR.....

Originally posted by Lannette 12-02-2006, 04:20 PM

Do you want to REALLY change??

I'm beginning to study for a Weight Management and Lifestyle Change Consultant certification. On one hand, I think I need to get another certification like I need another hole in my head. On the other hand, getting this certification is part of this year's personal improvement plan that I made for myself. It's going to help me be a better life coach for my patients, our employees and my private and online clients. Because you can't change a part of your life - even your qualifications - without changing other facets of your life I've been wondering what the far reaching ramifications of this new certification will be.

Those wonderings turned into an article on my website and then there was a thread discussing the subject so I'm going to paste it here.

“This time I’m serious! I really want to change!!” “Last time I lasted 4 months and saw a lot of great changes but for some reason I stopped exercising. Now I’m back to square one! I want this time to be different!!” “I loved the inch loss but I just got so bored and I quit.”

So…why do we set off on an “exercise” plan, pick up speed, do well for a time and then fall? Often fall hard enough to give us reason to totally stop exercising for months at a time? This is something I think a lot about because part of my job is to motivate people to exercise and the truth is that many of my clients are literally, exercising for their lives.

My thoughts on this phenomenon are always evolving, as are the suggestions I give for avoiding a repeat of the phenomenon. It’s pretty standard to tell the person who’s fallen to simply brush themselves off and get back on the wagon. I’ve done that myself in the past. The problem I have with this is that by ignoring the reasons behind the fall you almost surely resign yourself to repeating the same patterns that led you to fall in the first place. In other words, you don’t learn from the experience.

For that reason I always encourage anyone who has a fall off the wagon to explore why they fell. This is easier to talk about doing than it is to actually do. It’s difficult enough to feel as though you failed – even a tiny bit – but to actually examine that failure often reveals patterns that have threads that run throughout your entire life. Making those connections isn’t always comfortable but I assure you it IS MOST DEFINITELY beneficial. But back to the subject at hand.

As a society we very much like to zero in on things and get to the “heart” of the matter. This, in my opinion, is a behavior that doesn’t serve us well in terms of consistency in many areas of our lives. This mindset encourages us to look at exercise as a separate component once removed from our lives. Watch any infomercial. They’ll tell you exactly what body part(s) the product they’re trying to sell you will benefit. They might intimate that the “workouts” won’t take much time or more importantly space to do or store. Translation they aren’t going to interrupt your life. In fact you’ll barely know that you changed anything other than the fact that you’ll be able to go down to the river and wash the sheets on your washboard abs.

Guess what? “If you want to change then something is going to have to change.” -Author unknown You wouldn’t be embarking on an exercise plan if you didn’t want to see some kind of change. It’s naive to believe that you can make the changes you want and not have it change your life in other ways. Like a stone thrown into a pond, you will see ripples of change throughout the fabric of your life if you really set out on a journey to high level wellness. It’s unavoidable, no matter what you hear on TV at 3 a.m. when you can’t sleep.

You see - there are different kinds of change. There is short-term change. The kind you get when you go on a diet with the goal of looking good for your reunion. Or the kind where you start an exercise program with the idea that you’re going to lose 2 dress sizes. Even a bootcamp is a short-term change because it’s simply not meant to continue past a point. No

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH

jennpleez
    12-02-2006, 05:17 PM

Lanette, If you can't post the link here would you fwd it to me?

Words fitly spoken.

I have a question:

When you say to go back to the drawing board if we see any of those 'not ready to change' indicators in our lives, do you mean it's ok to modify the current plan until we no longer have those signs? (falling under the heading of having 'set the mark too high')

Is it enough just to say, "hey, I see that is me and I'm going to change the way I'm looking at this."?

Thanks for the lesson!

Jenn

dolphingirl
    12-02-2006, 06:24 PM

Thank you Lanette this is fabulous and very thought provoking.

Martha

maria51va
    12-02-2006, 11:15 PM

Very interesting & thought provoking!
    I'd also love the link -if not here, then a PM if possible-but please continue to post your thoughts.
    Maria

maria51va
    12-02-2006, 11:19 PM

Lanette,
    Just went to your website-so much valuable information! I've bookmarked the link-maybe for me, that's the first part of the decision to change-to make time to even read through it all-very, very powerful information!
    Thank you for providing this!
    Maria

Alexandria, VA

rosibelly
    12-03-2006, 12:23 AM

Very interesting- I was just thinking about this recently- I've fallen of the wagon more times than I can count- I've been consistent since April- even through a recent 2 wk vacation- I feel confident that I am on the wagon for good and have no desire to quit working out...so what's different this time around than all the other times? I'm not even sure, but it feels like something has "clicked" for me this time around...or my attitude has changed in that I now understand and know that it's not "all or nothing"- a little something is better than a lot of nothing and often times just doing a little makes me want to do more. R

Erie Rose Patterson

teresatapp
    12-03-2006, 08:11 AM

Hi Lannette,

Thanks for the taking the time to share and stimulate thoughts that can help others achieve success.

Go ahead and put the link up so people can immediately click over if they're interested.

Teresa

ps - By the way, you ARE a senior trainer and have been for years... just because you took a short break from being active didn't "demote" your status.

Lannette
    12-03-2006, 11:58 AM

Hi Jenn, The link to the change info is at the bottom of this page http://lannette22.tripod.com/id41.html It's actually another website and I just didn't want them to be inundated with idle page hits. If I place it here hopefully only people who are really interested in the info will click on it. Thank you so much Teresa!

Maria, I'm glad that you're enjoying the website. As I've said before, it's a labor of love and even when I wasn't very active as a trainer I continued to T-Tapp, try to figure out why T-Tapp does what so many other exercise methods can't and also continued to write about it. You're sure to find typos and incorrect grammar and if you do I'm open to correcting it but the words on the website come straight from the heart. Pretty appropriate for a cardiac rehab nurse, no?

Martha, glad you also enjoyed the piece. We're all on a journey, the speed we travel and the path we take is all that differs.

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH

Lannette
    12-03-2006, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by jennpleez

I have a question:

When you say to go back to the drawing board if we see any of those 'not ready to change' indicators in our lives, do you mean it's ok to modify the current plan until we no longer have those signs? (falling under the heading of having 'set the mark too high')

Is it enough just to say, "hey, I see that is me and I'm going to change the way I'm looking at this."?

Jenn
    Hi Jenn,

I just realized that I never answered your question in my last reply. Sorry 'bout that. Modifying the present plan is a fine approach. I highly recommend being open to modification whenever it's necessary.

Honestly wholesale change isn't always what it's cracked up to be and often a series of small changes is much easier to maintain long term.

There is also nothing wrong with setting the mark high. I just think that it's important to either have a back up plan in case life gets in the way or simply be willing to reassess and modify the plan as needed.

Personally, I can remember a time when I was so heavily invested in over-exercise that I was afraid to give up any of my workouts to do a T-Tapp bootcamp and when I say afraid I do mean afraid. That was years ago but looking back on that time I have to ask myself what was so scary about giving up a schedule that was half killing me for a few weeks. It doesn't make a lot of sense now but at the time I assure you it felt like I'd be giving up part of my indentity. (and maybe that's where some of the intense fear came from?)

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH

searcher
    12-03-2006, 03:17 PM

Margit posted about something similar a little while back http://forum.t-tapp.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15675, or at least it feels similar because trying to answer Margit's question for myself got me to the "Do I really want to change?" question.

And your comment about change involving giving up your identity, Lannette, or at least a big piece of your life, really hit home with me. I have long thought of myself as a daily exerciser but was like you feeling exhausted by my regimen (I'm 51 too) when I first heard about T-Tapp. So the idea of only working out twice a week, eventually -- I'm a ways from that maintenance schedule -- really really appealed to me.

But it seems as though I'm not quite ready to let go of that daily intense exercise demand for myself -- well physically I am and I have done so -- but mentally maybe not. Or at least it's more complicated than I thought.

I haven't read the article at the link you provided yet, Lannette, but I've read elsewhere that change involves replacing current habits with the new ones you want to adopt. I think that's one aspect of change that is scary for me. If and when I ever get to maintenance mode and I'm not "exercising" every day (with at least one day off of course ) -- expending energy in a physically demanding way, which also seems to help me mentally and emotionally, how will that be? Climbing the mountain, achieving a goal, is something to do, but maintenance sounds so... blah? Where's the excitement, the sense of purpose, if I'm just maintaining the status quo? I know that form is and will be a continual challenge, but if it's the pleasure in the journey that keeps me motivated, then what happens when I'm "there"? New goals, new orientation?

Betsy

Lannette
    12-03-2006, 07:29 PM

Hey Betsy!

Thanks for the link. That's a great post and most definitely on the same wavelength as mine.

I do want to clarify that I do not mean for a moment to say that people cannot be active on a daily basis. I certainly am. The difference for me is that other than my three weekly T-Tapp sessions and wearing my weighted or instablility shoes the activities I do I choose to do because I want to.

Interestingly enough besides opening up a lot of extra time for other things this has also resulted in my body returning to a weight and shape that it hadn't been in since I hit peri-M and my current trainer picture was taken while I was in per-M. So even though I thought I was maintaining, quite to my surprise, I wasn't. [:0]

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH

Khenkels
    12-03-2006, 10:21 PM

Oh boy...do I ever need this. I am the queen of do and drop. I WANT something to stick. No, I want to be and stay in a healthy lifestyle. Something that feels right and to stay with it. Very thought provoking indeed.

Thanks, Lanette for a very informative post - one again.

Kristina

SusieH
    12-04-2006, 12:49 AM

I was meant to read this post tonight! I'm about half-way through reading the T-Tapp book and decided to check out the website.

Last January my husband and I joined a gym and I enrolled in a 10-week "get healthy" weightloss competition they were a having and I actully won it! I was at the gym for at least 2 hours 5 days a week. A month after the competition ended, I had carpal tunnel surgery. In July, I started a new job. In September, I started having some gyno problems that resulted in surgery last month.

I am hoping that all the health crises are behind me and that I can return to "normal" (whatever that is!), however, I have regained all the weight I lost and I am back to having zero energy.

I really do feel that I was ready to change a year ago and can't quite figure out how I got so off track. The carpal tunnel surgery kept me from doing any upper body weight-resistance work for awhile, but I could have continued with more cardio, etc. The new job is actually closer to my gym, so that is no excuse for not going. My female issues took more of an emotional than a physical toll, so even that should not have had much impact.

I am going to check out your website, Lanette. I don't want to keep spinning my wheels and want to make sure I am truly committed to making changes before I start another program to improve my health and well-being.

Susie

banemach
    12-04-2006, 12:03 PM

Lannette - this is a wonderful summary of a huge philosophical area - and your analogys are so perceptive - once you commit to change you do see the rest of the room and where you need to make further change - but again the ripples from the single genuine change impacts in so many areas that you find yourself picking up momentum - going forward becomes inevitable because of the positive internal emotions you feel.

I have just complete a Nutritional and Wellness course myself and found it fascinating to look at how important it is to integrate my personal change goals into my overall life plan.
    Change is to be relished, appreciated for the opportunities it offers.
    DW

Dianne Wright

Juniper
    12-04-2006, 01:49 PM

YIPPIE SKIPPY - LANNETTE IS BACK!!!!!! Missed ya![:X]

This article really hit home with a new worksite wellness project I've been working on with the employees at the local hospital. The program we are using is a system based on established principles of applied social psychology and social psychophysiology. It isn't just a diet and exercise plan, it's a personalized belief system. <<See why it works so well with T-Tapp!>>

Here's the primary questionnaire that we start with:

This initiative works for you by taking into account the real world conditions that shape your life and make you the person you are. No one knows you better than yourself. We all present our social selves to the world. We also know that our personal self is the one that really represents our beliefs about who we are and what we're capable of. Below are the questions, that you should answer to be true to yourself about this initiative:

1. How do you value your health? How important is maintaining good health and wellness in your life?
    2. Do you feel that you are in control of your health and wellness? Why? Why not?
    3. Is your body your friend or your enemy? Do you control it or does it control you?
    4. How would you describe your optimal self? What changes would have to occur for you to achieve that vision?
    5. Which changes do you honestly think you can make?
    6. What are the obstacles you will have to overcome to make these changes? <<I think this is BIGGIE>>
    7. Who can you enlist to support you during this initiative? <<Love that T-Tapp Support Group>>
    8. Are there people or circumstances that may sabotage your efforts? <<Even unintended>>
    9. What is the single most important change you want to make?
    10. Describe how you will feel if you make that change.

"The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is today." - Chinese proverb

The employees at the hospital had PHENOMENAL results. The average BMI reduction from all 49 people who participated was 1.54. That is incredible. I taught a T-Tapp support group at the hospital twice a week. We concluded the program on Nov. 13, needless to say, we start the T-Tapp class again today!

Thought this might add some light on your recommendation of creating a new plan when the old one isn't working!

Hope you don't mind me jumping in!

Good to have you back![8D]

Jenny Russell
    T-Tapp Trainer

Lannette
    12-04-2006, 07:54 PM

DW, than you for the kind words. I love this line of your post!
    quote:Change is to be relished, appreciated for the opportunities it offers.
    That's so very true.

Hi Jenny! [waving madly] It's so good to "see" you again. Of course you can jump right in. Those are a great list of questions to ask yourself when things aren't working and you want to come up with a new plan of attack instead of scrapping whatever your're working on. Are you in charge of employee wellness? I ask because I now am and I'm having a great time putting together various programs and picking out incentives to go with the programs. I am also planning on having a T-Tapp support group starting the first of the year! I guess what they say about great minds thinking alike is true.

Susie, you might want to use Jenny's wonderful list of questions as a starting place. Also 2 hours is a long time to workout and maybe the length of your workouts and the time that they took from your days was enough to cause a bit of a dread factor.

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH

SusieH
    12-04-2006, 10:07 PM

Jenny - That is an incredible list of thought-provoking, "search the heart and soul" questions! I'm suddenly feeling very overwhelmed and just want to crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head.

Lanette - 2 hours at the gym was pretty much what the trainers told me I needed to do to get results. I spent 60 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical (usually broken into two 30 minutes sessions one before and one after my weight training) and alternated days of upper or lower body resistance work of about 45 minutes each.

Susie

Lannette
    12-05-2006, 06:36 AM

Suzy,

Please don't be overwhelmed. Those questions are thought provoking and difficult to answer. When I ask those kinds of questions of clients I usually ask them one at a time and give them at least a couple of days to mull over an answer. You could do the same, even taking a week per questions to think and then journal on it. If a question seems too hard or emotionally connected to answer right away, tuck it away for a time and just ponder it from time to time. This isn't a race, it's the rest of your life. Go for the easy ones first and they in turn may unlock the answers to the ones you struggle with.

I'm very happy to tell you that with T-Tapp you will not need two hours and seriously, it depends upon what kind of "results" you're after but in most cases you don't need a full two hours a day to effect a positive change. Again, happily with T-Tapp you need way less.

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH

Juniper
    12-05-2006, 02:13 PM

Hey Susie - Didn't mean to scare you with the questions, just a way of looking at where you are, where you want to go, and what you can achieve. Lannette had some good suggestions of taking them one by one. I also think of it as a way to think through why you're not getting the results you want. There are so many factors that come into changing an aspect of our lives, we need to give ourselves a break and understand why things are not black and white. My life is mostly grey, so I continually evaluate and decide what I can do, determine how much I can give, and be proud of myself for taking care of myself and setting achievable goals. I also second the fact that you do NOT need 2 hours at a gym each day. T-Tapp delivers FAR more in less time than anything else. You will achieve success if you just work with us, believe in yourself as we believe in you. We KNOW you can do, we need you to know you can do it - and we're here to help in any way![:X]

Lannette - Since I'm not employed by the hospital, I serve as their facilitator but, do help coordinate, take the measurements, calculate the changes, teach the t-tapp session, work with nutrition questions, etc. We just picked up the REA in the area to start their Worksite Wellness Program in January. I'm more than happy to share my info - shoot me an email or give me a call and I'll send you what I have so far.

Jenny Russell
    T-Tapp Trainer

SusieH
    12-06-2006, 12:45 AM

Lanette and Jenny -

Thank you so much for your caring responses and support. The next two weeks are pretty hectic for me. Christmas comes a bit early for us as that is when family will all be together. So Christmas eve and Christmas will just be quiet time with DH -- taking walks, eating leftovers and enjoying the tree. I can't think of a better present to myself than to take that time to finish Teresa's book and to start a journal, taking Jenny's list one question at a time. (Thank you for that journal suggestion, Lanette!)

You T-Tapp gals really are special!

Susie

Lannette
    12-09-2006, 12:54 PM

Susie,

Have a wonderful holiday season! What you describe sounds incredibly renewing and is sure to help you get a handle on changes you'd like to make and how to move forward toward them.

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH
    Cardiac Rehab RN

cheleskilove
    12-09-2006, 03:14 PM

wow Lanette, I just posted similiar sentiments on Lani's fitness post...

I didnt know you 'strayed' as well. Glad to see you're in the game still! I still hold to the advice you gave years ago...I know your body will snap back in no time.

and OMG when did YOU become a senior? I still had you in your 30s!lol!

Michele/Cleveland

junebug1960
    12-09-2006, 08:15 PM

I am finding that falling off the wagon in my case has two major causes:

A big life change (in my case moving to Peru, but this can happen in other ways, such as illness, or illness of a family member, etc.) leaves you with a makeshift lifestyle that is only "coping," or reactive rather than proactive.

A period of depression.

Positive change such as working out improves either of these but sometimes the person needs help to get started.
    Although in the process of time these things can come back to a positive lifestyle including wellness I think that there would be a quicker improvement if there was an intervention. May be this is when a person goes to a Weight Management and Lifestyle Change Consultant?

Tammy

Lannette
    12-09-2006, 09:43 PM

Hi Michele! Funny that you just posted similar thoughts, you know what they say about great minds thinking alike. I can't honestly say that I ever strayed. Just got very very busy, had a couple health issues, went back to school, had to adjust my fitness plan to match the time and energy I had available. I actually T-Tapped every single day for about a year to help keep my hormones even. Now with Ladybug I can cut back.

Very sweet of you to make that statement about still having me at 30. 51.5 and proud of it.

Hi Tammy,

Yes, Tammy it can indeed be very hard to get started when you have as much going on as you describe. I consider PBS and BWO+ pretty much the equivalent of washing my face or taking a shower. In other words they aren't optional. So no matter how low I was feeling I forced myself to at least begin with PBS and every day one thing led to the next and before I knew it I had done BWO+. Gotta love those hoedowns. I consider them a full body hug because of their total body isometric contraction and you can't beat left/right brain movement to kick up your mood a notch.

Quite honestly I'm not sure when a person goes to a Weight Management and Lifestyle Change Consultant. My plan isn't to use the certification as a stand alone thing but to combine what I learn with what I've learned as a cardiac rehab RN and a clinical exercise specialist and a T-Tapp trainer and a medical massage student hoping that the sum will be greater than any of the parts.

If you ever need a nudge though, feel free to email me or post on NETappers and I'll be happy to help give you a positive push.

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH

MommyInMotion
    12-11-2006, 02:31 PM

Thank you for this. This thread is thought-provoking for me as I don't know exactly why I keep falling off the wagon when I can feel the benefits starting from the first day. I think part of it is my "all or nothing" attitude. Because once life interrupts me and I skip a scheduled workout, it all tends to go downhill from there.

I don't have a lot of time to myself and I have a lot of distractions.

I also tend not to value myself in the same way others value themselves. My needs often come very low on the priority list. I often give up sleep, food and other basic needs in the name of doing for others. I don't know why it is always the first place I go to cut corners.

MommyInMotion
    Beginner T-Tapper

Lannette
    12-11-2006, 08:13 PM

Wow! MommyInMotion,

It sounds like you have a really good idea of some of the things that may be knocking you off the wagon. As mothers we tend to put our needs behind those of our children, which is understandable. We have to remember that when we take care of ourselves we're in a better place to take care of others. Just like on the airplane when they tell you to put your oxygen mask on first and then your child's.

You can find the description for another neat exercise that my Eastern Traditional Medicine Instructor gave us if you follow this link. http://t-tapptrainer-lannette.blogsp...ortant-to.html

Have a great holiday season,

Lannette
    T-Tapp Trainer NH

Comment

Working...
    X