Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Cat Crossover Tips

Originally posted by Sherry 12-20-2001, 05:27 PM

Several people at the Boston & Beyond clinic mentioned feeling this move in an entirely new way. Just for grins, here are my favorite tips.

Cat Crossovers consist of the following parts:

1. Set up
    2. Leg lift to the back
    3. Curl in and extend
    4. Knee to shoulder and cross

1. Set up

On all fours, make sure your back is flat. Pull the belly button into the spine. Try to hold it there even when breathing. (This is hard but try.) You should feel the same engagement in the abs as you do in OIP (floor version) even though you may not be able to hold the BB completely in while breathing.

Tighten the tush and thighs.

2. Back leg lift

Holding all those contractions, lift the leg staight up, pointed foot, and back down to the floor. Be careful not to open the hip and lift to the side. There aren't any brownie points to lifting high since most people have to open the hip (to the outside) to lift much higher than hip level.

3. Curl in and extend

Still hold those contractions and keep the belly button snuggled up to the spine. If you need to, reset the contractions.

Pull the knee in to the chest and tuck the chin looking toward the curling knee. As you extend, really try to elongate the spine, leg, and neck. Really push the extension against the contractions.

4. Knee to shoulder, then cross

The leg is once again straight behind, foot pointed. Hold those same contractions! Pull the knee into the shoulder and then straighten the leg as you cross over the opposite foot. Look toward the crossing foot.

If you can hold the contractions, keep the belly button pulling in so that you engage the transervse abs, this is a WOW move for sure!

Merry Christmas!

Sherry
    Houston metro - Trainer

Question:

Sherry, Thanks for the tips. I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with getting dizzy and neck pain on this move. It doesn't seem to be bother me as much now as when I first started doing it and it's only on the shoulder cross part. Am I doing something wrong or is this just due to a constantly stiff neck and shoulder area?

Tami

Answer from Sherry:

Hi Tami,

No, this move should not cause any neck or shoulder pain. Sounds like maybe you have a stiff neck all the time. One thing to check (on this move and others) is that your shoulders are not creeping up toward the ears. For most of us, there is a real love affair going on between those two and we have to put an end to it! : )

To make sure you aren't aggravating this problem, you will want to do shoulder rolls and on the last one back, try to pull your shoulders down just a tad more -- and keep them there.

I have chronic neck and shoulder problems (under the scapulas in the shoulders) so here are some other things that help me. I'm not a doctor so these are only ideas that I find personally helpful. It is always best to run changes by your doc or therapist.

From a sitting position, nice tall posture, long neck, I like to tilt my ear to the shoulder (as much as possible) and hold it for 60 seconds. Then the other side. Then tuck the chin to the chest. This has help me a great, great deal lately. All positions are held for 60 seconds to give the muscles time to relax. I am hoping to elongate the muscles over time.

I also find doing single shoulder rolls (meaning one shoulder at a time) very helpful.

When rolling both shoulders, pull your elbows in close to the body and then extend the forearms to the side. Looks like this:

_|O|_ (the O is your torso)

That position massages the upper back. Alternatively, just pull the elbows in close to the body, forearms extended in front, jazz hands with thumb pointing to the sides, and do shoulder rolls. The elbows should be as far back as possible. This really opens the chest and provides a great massage in the upper back.

And, there are other ideas on Teresa's back pain site.

Finally, Julie, a Houston Tapper, told me about Biofreeze. This is a fabulous product that creates are super cold sensation on the skin. You can only buy it online. And, I do use cold packs in the area at night anytime possible.

Hope some of these ideas help. I do understand how aggravating neck and shoulder problems are.

Comment

Working...
    X