No announcement yet.

A Plateau Is *Not* Always a Bad Thing!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Plateau Is *Not* Always a Bad Thing!

A Plateau Is *Not* Always a Bad Thing!

11-08-2010, 01:55 PM

That might surprise you!

I know we all like to see consistent inch/size loss. When it slows down, we've been brainwashed to think that's a bad thing and we need to address it by either eating less or exercising more. Or even having to "change things up a bit".

Now, there's nothing wrong with evaluating your eating or changing things up, but given that some people consistently lose doing "just" BWO+ or TWO all the time, I don't think that's a factor.

Before I found T-Tapp, I was in a Bible Study/weight loss program that helped me realize how much I ate out of reasons other than true hunger. But it was still focused on "fewer calories/exchanges" and losing "weight". Even then I got into smaller clothing sizes but still only lost like 6 pounds at the most during the course of being in that program (maybe 1 1/2 years?).

When I would plateau, I would add more cardio in. Walk a little faster. Rebounding. Adding short running sprints to my walks--which I HATED!

All to no avail. Now I realize, with all I've learned here, that my body needed to regroup, to balance out from the inside out. Losing inches/sizes is GREAT--but the idea that you keep losing gobs of inches week after week is just not reality.

I started as a More-to-Lose at a size 22W and 175 pounds. I'm 5' 4 1/2", btw. I have seen the truth of the "inner healing from the inside out" many times during my almost 4 years of T-Tapp. I would lose a fairly good amount (remember, MTL people have just that--more to lose--so they are going to see some bigger numbers in the beginning!), then I would lose little amounts--1 inch here, 3/4 inch there....2 1/2 inches in one week became a BIG number!

My size losses went like this:

January 2007 to August 2007--22W to a 16 misses--4 sizes
    August 2007 to February 2008--nothing!
    March 2008--1 size down to a 14
    April 2008--1 size down to a 12
    One YEAR later, April 2009--1 size down to a 10
    Nearly another YEAR later, March 2010--1 size down to an 8

As you can see, I did not lose lose lose lose and hit my goal within a year or two. And as most of you know, my "weight loss" does not reflect my inch/size loss very well! (Last I checked, it was around 143--only 32 pounds yet 168 inches!)

I share all this for ONE big reason--to show that if I had been all concerned about those "plateaus", I would have probably sent myself into major adrenal exhaustion, as I have been dealing with that pretty much from the beginning. Oh, I lost inches here and there in those 2 years where I only dropped a size a year, but it wasn't "enough".

Had I pushed and added in more cardio, more "full" workouts, less eating...I would have crashed.

I know, because I did crash. The summer of 2009, I thought I needed to push myself a bit. I didn't try to deprive myself in eating, but just cut back. Problem was, I didn't get enough protein in, especially when I decided to push myself in workouts, too.

Some of you can handle longer workouts, and that is great! But you need to not get caught up in the "always losing" game.

Trainer Webra Price-Douglas (DrW on the forums) shared this wonderful tidbit at a clinic, once, and I've never forgotten it. AND I have proven it true over the course of my T-Tapp journey:

"A plateau is just allowing the body to balance, to regroup--to keep the benefits it's gained."

You may need to rethink what you're doing, and that's fine. But don't automatically assume just because you've hit a "plateau", it's a bad thing.

Could just be your body is doing some inner healing that will help you feel better and enjoy that size loss even better! Or you are going through toning which doesn't show up as well on the tape measure (see this thread: The Tape Measure Doesn't Tell the WHOLE Story!).

Write out that quote by DrW and tape it to your mirror!

I leave you with a thread I started a few years ago, when I was slowing down on size loss. Sometimes, it's the things you CAN'T measure that are truly most important!

Results of T-Tapp that You Can't Measure

HUGS to you all on your T-Tapp Journey!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
    (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
    you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
    ~Crystal Paine~
    Last edited by Forum Angel; 04-16-2016, 03:35 PM.
    ~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Master T-Tapp Trainer in Indiana, certified in all workouts!

From a 22W to an 8!
Working...
X