Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reach Scoops, KLT, OIP/HF questions

Hi,
    I’m new to T-Tapp and I am really loving this.
    I’ll ask questions first, then give some background info below.
    1. I initially thought Reach Scoop was a relaxation move, but while now doing it correctly I actually feel a rush of chills, a deep stretch and a fast rush of fatigue with each rep. This lessens with each rep, and goes away as soon as I go to the next move. It’s somewhat exhilarating, but surprising. I’ve never experienced this before. I’m so curious- does anyone have an idea what’s going on in the body that causes this to happen just with this move?
    2. Regarding T-Tapp stance: I notice the top of my left kneecap hurts during the stance which tells me I’m doing something wrong since I don’t have a history of knee issues. Upon exploring the forum, I’m realizing that I was pushing my knees out using my knees vs originating from the hip. Now when I originate KLT from the hip it helps the knee pain, but the muscles in and around my hips really activate (I’m in proper form otherwise-or at least I believe I am) Should I be feeling these hip area muscles so strongly?
    3. OIP/HF: I love this floor work out. I’m following the written instructions with photos but I’m having a hard time really understanding the moves of HF. I can’t find a (free) demonstration video anywhere. Does one exist?
    (I currently own one digital workout, and will only buy digital)

Extra info:
    I’m on day 5 of boot camp- digital Basic Super Set, I prefer super slow as I’m learning.
    I intended to go 14 days, but after reading one of Trisch’s comments I’m thinking I’ll reduce it to 7-10 days and then continue EOD, focusing on form and activation.
    I have the Fit and Fabulous book which is very informative, inspiring and motivating.

I’m 52, 5’2”, 128lbs and menopausal. I’m a combo/LT body type. I gained 10lbs “overnight” mostly in my midsection. At my stature- that’s 2+ sizes up. I’ve been going to a gym regularly for 2.5 years and the initial positive gains there stalled out and even reversed as perimenopause slid to menopause. I’m looking forward to doing T-Tapp as a lifestyle, and while I’d love a fast fix, I’m truly in it for the long term benefits.

Thank You for reading and answering my questions.
    Last edited by nj696; 02-10-2018, 04:16 PM.

Hi, There is an extensive demonstration of the OIP/HF in the DVD at the back of the Fit and Fabulous book. Theresa starts slow with plenty of explanations, then she gives a slightly faster version with less cues. If your book did not come with a DVD (happened to me), try to check if your library has copy (I was lucky that ours did have one!).

As for the rest, I'll let the experts chime in ... I'm also a newbie.
    Main thing is to not overdo -Trisch
    Always do each movement to your own personal max ability - Teresa
    Be kind to yourself and listen to your body... Tomorrow is another day! ....This too shall pass...
    *Educate* *Motivate* *Elevate* - Teresa

Comment

Thank you Green Gem! I actually forgot I had that dvd in the back of the book. Unfortunately we don’t have any devices that will play a dvd. . I’ll have to do some thinking about how I can find a DVD playing device.
      Last edited by nj696; 02-10-2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

update: Link removed
        Last edited by GreenGem; 04-13-2018, 10:27 AM.
        Be kind to yourself and listen to your body... Tomorrow is another day! ....This too shall pass...

Comment

GreenGem, thank you so much! That’s perfect. The little girl photo bombing is cute too.
          I’ve done so many google searches and searched on this forum and could not find a video for this.

Hopefully one of the resident experts or veterans will be able to answer my other questions.

Comment

Update: reference removed
            Last edited by GreenGem; 04-13-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

1. Reach Scoops--ah yes! We thought it was a nice relaxation move! It is to help bring down the heart rate after Plies, but you are still keeping core activated, ribs up, and reach up and behind the ear, not letting that reaching arm's shoulder drift forward. You can do these against a wall (feet will be away from the wall 4-6 inches) and you'll really feel the activation! Most likely what you felt was the lymph draining efficiently because you engaged your lats (muscles around the br*a band) and stretched the fascia. You should really feel a stretch in the rib to hip on the reaching side.

2. Rather than focusing on turning out from the hips, after you get into T-Tapp stance (bend knees, curl the core/tuck, ribs up) then shift weight into your heels, then off the big toe. That will help get your knees out without being too overinvasive. Also recheck that you didn't lose your core or drop your ribs--that affects the knees, too! You can also think to turn out your whole leg from the ankle up--think turn out from the ankle, from the knee and then from the hip. That will protect all joints and keep your legs activated.

3. Half Frogs can be tough to understand from print. I'm wondering if that video was Jen's that she probably did to prepare for LadyBug certification, which would have been several years ago.

I personally teach to not go so wide with the knees. You really REALLY want to use the core muscles to press the lower back flat. Be intentional--don't just flop the knees in and out. Place them. Then "zip up the abs" to help bring the knees in. Often we use momentum and leg muscles and the tummy gets a free pass! I believe Teresa did this for the T-Tapp Tuesday videos and that will have the newer tweaks. I'll see if I can find it!

I hope that helps a bit! Feel free to continue asking questions until you feel you understand!

~ ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
              ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
              ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Trisch -:¦:-
              -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Master T-Tapp Trainer in Indiana, certified in all workouts!

From a 22W to an 8!

Comment

Found it right away! I had been looking for other videos the other day and this one had come up--thankfully it came right up again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW5zuDXVq44&t=136s

She does have you lower the knees away a bit--for beginners I would keep knees directly above hips. Lower really challenges your core!
                ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

From a 22W to an 8!

Comment

• AlisaJDrury
                  AlisaJDrury commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Trisch, What is this called in the video? I did it 3 times (trying to get it LOL). It is hard to watch and do, but I want to put it on my accountability list.

TIA Alisa

• BlessedMama
                  BlessedMama commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Half Frogs. It's on every floor workout and the dvd that comes with the book.

• AlisaJDrury
                  AlisaJDrury commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Trisch,

The link above isn't the same variation as half frogs on the DVD that comes with the book, which is why I asked. She's scooting, spreading legs, and rocking...plus the hands/arms are placed different because of the scooting.

TIA

Also wanted to say GOOD FOR YOU for listening to your body! I feel your pain--menopause has added fluff around my tummy, putting me up a few sizes, too. But with consistency and focus on alignment and activation, it's slowly moving off!

I've had a 1 1/2 yr period of stress with my husband having open heart surgery June 2016, then the past year has been a lot of transitions in my family. Good things but still, "happy" stress is still a stress on the body! I'm learning to manage things better and not eat my way through it!
                ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

From a 22W to an 8!

Comment

Trisch,
                  Thanks so much for the helpful answers.
                  *I definitely feel that deep rib to hip stretch when I do reach scoops- that’s actually what sets off the whole chill—> fatigue response I mentioned. I wondered if it was lymph related, but wanted to hear any thoughts before I mentioned it. I’ll do these against a wall to be sure I’m in proper alignment.
                  *I’m going to take your suggestions for T-Tapp stance and KLT and work on it more carefully. I definitely don’t want to start a knee problem due to improper (or impatient!) stance.
                  *Thank you for the link to Teresa’s TV spot. That was good to see, and I understand what you are saying about leg placement and intention.

Thanks for leaving the door open for more questions. I may have more after I work out tomorrow.
                  Last edited by nj696; 02-10-2018, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Glad to help!

I am usually offline for most of Sunday but I'll be back in Monday to see if you have more questions!

One more thing on Reach Scoops--feel free to slow it down. In MORE Teresa does 4 to each side vs back and forth. Might be a way to slow it down and not overtax yourself. Also feel free to cut reps to 4.

I was at the Retreat when she filmed Barefoot Basic. It is painful watching myself "swim" because my arm went forward along with my shoulder during Reach Scoops! Of course that was before I became a trainer! Plus I was getting tired at the Retreat--and my form showed it!
                    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

From a 22W to an 8!

Comment

• nj696
                      nj696 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Trisch,
                      As promised I have another question or two!
                      During T-Tapp Twist, what is the purpose of bending and touching our hands behind the knee? There’s really not an explanation for that part of the movement in the book. If it’s a stretch, then it’s a nice stretch. But I have a feeling I’m supposed to be focused on muscle activation- but I don’t know where?
                      I don’t get what the pressing of the hands to the leg 3times is about. I feel I can isolate more muscles if I just did a slow continuous roll up.
                      But I know....there is a reason behind each of Teresa’s moves, so I’m interested to learn about it.

- refocusing how I set up my KLT has helped the knee
                      - I did Reach Scoop against a wall. And wow. I thought I had proper alignment but this showed me that even though my arms were in correct position, my upper body wanted to lean forward.
                      - I tried TTT in a chair in order to isolate the upper body movements. Another wow. It allowed me to concentrate on pressing my hands together and ton truly pull with the hand. This really made a difference.

And last— I had a mild cold all last week that went into my sinuses on Friday night. Felt icky all day Saturday. But decided to do a few TTapp moves to see if I could get some fluids moving in my body. I did OIP/HF, Reach Scoops, and Hoe Downs.
                      My head cleared out. Unbelievable. It stuffed back up overnight, but not nearly as bad, and after I did Basic Super Slow, it drained away again. This morning I woke up to minimal stuffiness. And no more sinus pain. I was taking no medicine for this. I have to believe the T-Tapp moves played a hand in clearing up the congestion.

• BlessedMama
                      BlessedMama commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm going to answer this in a separate post. :-)

Trisch, I wanted to follow up and say I hope your husband has had a smooth recovery and returned to health.
                    I’ve been fascinated recently about how stress and lack of sleep chemically affect the body which can make our road to fitness a longer one. I want to incorporate more mindful/meditative elements into my daily life. One reason I like T-Tapp is because of its mindful component.

Comment

• BlessedMama
                      BlessedMama commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for your kind wishes! He says he is about 90-95% back to normal. Right now it's mainly the stamina and strength, but that takes time to restore--especially the older we get!

And sleep is SO important! I'm not doing as well as I would like--having daughters coming home late from their work with the snow predictions makes me tend to wait up for them! I started telling them that I will leave my cell phone on and in my room (but far from my head!) in case they need me. I think I still subconsciously sleep better once I know they are home! I guess we never get rid of that "Mom's Ear" that is tuned to our "babies"!

• nj696
                      nj696 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I totally get it! I have two kids- both in their early 20’s. When they are sleeping at home, I can’t fully sleep until I know they’ve come through the door. We live in a cold snowy area too, and weather safety definitely plays into that!

Yay! I knew you'll get expert tips!

Comment

• nj696
                      nj696 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      GreenGem- Great advice all around! Thanks again for finding that video! I love when I search and search and search, and can’t find what I need, and then boom- someone comes to the rescue!

Green Gem, you mentioned something about joining a habit forming group (can’t find your comment anymore. technology glitches!).
                    Is the group on this forum or is it a Facebook page? What is it about?

Comment

Thank you for the links. I’ll check out the habit forming groups info....
                    and the chatty group too- great recommendation- how could you tell?! Hahaha!

Comment

• GreenGem
                      GreenGem commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yup those 2 threads complements one another well. A daily log and weekly accountability.
                      Last edited by GreenGem; 02-14-2018, 11:48 AM.
                  Working...
                  X