X
Collapse

• Back Pain?? Relieve the T-Tapp Way

Click image for larger version

Name:	mast.gif
Views:	6
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	2606

tapp.gifBack pain has reached such epidemic proportions that it has become a factor of life for most people. It is now one of the most common disorders in which people seek medical help and the largest cause of absenteeism in the United States, Sweden, Great Britain, and Canada accounting for billions of dollars each year in medical costs.

There have been many theories as to why and how back pain occurs. Medical scientific research used to state that back pain was due to structural abnormality or misalignment of the spine, but now a lot of other factors are considered. We've come to realize that tension might be the cause of most back pain. In our busy, non-stop, stressful lives we often forget to take a break and stretch.

As a rehabilitative trainer, I realize that tension causes muscles to tighten and blood vessels to constrict. Depending on how weak or strong a person's muscles are, this tension can pull vertebrae out of alignment and/or reduce blood flow. It doesn't help that the majority of females wear high heels, cross their legs and often stand on with their weight on one leg, holding the telephone in the crook of their neck. It's no wonder our back and shoulder muscles hurt by the end of the day!

One of the reasons I have been so successful as a rehabilitative trainer is because I know and understand how bad back pain feels due to my own spinal condition. As you can see from the photo (on the right), I suffer from a slight curvature of my spine called scoliosis along with fusion of three lumbar vertebrae as a result from a high school sports injury.
    997_back.jpg

Additionally, my psoas muscles often lock into spasms and pull on these three vertebrae. Due to these issues, if I don't keep my spinal muscles strong and flexible with proper exercise my back HURTS!

Let me tell you, pain is a great teacher! When developing the T-Tapp workout, I focused on creating a program that would build strong anatomical alignment, increased circulation, and open neuro-kinetic flow from the brain, through the spine, to the extremities. My 15-minute program, Basic Workout Plus, contains specific movements for pain relief, as well as movements to realign and strengthen the spinal attachments that help prevent pain.

For PAIN RELIEF NOW, sample movements to stretch your spinal muscles, increase blood flow, and deliver relief from pain are available at the links below.

Rock 'N Roll | Tuck, Reach & Pull | Reach, Half-Pull Combo | Push/Pull Spinal Stretch | T-Tapp Twist

From Women's Fitness International (March 1998)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	March1998-KathySmith.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	2609

Last edited by teresatapp; 06-06-2016, 03:43 PM.

• fabricfive
      fabricfive commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been doing T-Tapp off and on for many many years. Since the first article I saw in a magazine. I too have scoliosis. About a 53 degree curve in my lower back. I have developed 4 bulging discs. I currently do the T-tap more routine. Any suggestions on what I can concentrate on?
      thanks for the help
      Denise
    Posting comments is disabled.

Categories

Collapse

Latest Articles

Collapse

• T-Tapp Twist Spinal Sequence - Back Pain Relief
    teresatapp

T-Tapp Twist Spinal Sequence

"Twist, Reach 'n Roll - Spinal Sequence" for Strength, Flexibility & Alignment looks a lot easier than it is - be extra careful to follow form to the finest detail. This type of movement is considered to be comprehensive and compounded since it involves several muscles as well as anatomical isolation of the lower body from the upper body.

Starting Position: Feet should be 12"-14" apart (under hips)...
    05-18-2016, 10:41 PM
  • Push/Pull Spinal Stretch - Back Pain Relief
    teresatapp

Push/Pull Spinal Stretch

Position 3) Hold right knee with both hands, tuck chin and inhale deep (through nostrils). As you inhale, "push" knees while you "pull" with your hands. Hold for 4 counts, then exhale as you roll spine down until head rests on floor. Form check: keep arms straight as you "push/pull.

Repeat for a total of 2 sets with right knee and 2 sets with left knee. Finish with three Rock 'N Rolls.
    05-18-2016, 10:34 PM
  • Reach, Half-Pull Combo - Back Pain Relief
    teresatapp

Reach, Half-Pull Combo

Position 2) Fanny remains in tucked position, elbows should be same height as shoulders, and the hands straight above the elbows at 90 degree angle. Form Check: hands and elbows should be as close to the floor as possible with chest out and shoulders pushing back. The vertebrae between shoulder blades as well as lower spine should be pushing flat into the floor; tighten arm muscles to set position. Do not relax arms on the floor.
    05-18-2016, 10:32 PM
  • Tuck, Reach & Pull - Back Pain Relief
    teresatapp

Tuck, Reach & Pull

Position 1a) Tuck fanny to flatten lower spine keeping toes forward. Inhale deep (through nostrils) as you reach upward as far as you can hold for 4 counts. Form check: have fist with back of hands facing floor as arms fully extend until elbows are straight. Really reach to elongate spine and receive a vertical "separation" stretch of the vertebrae.

Position 1b) Keep shoulders back with fanny tucked as you exhale...
    05-18-2016, 10:27 PM
  • Rock 'N Roll - Back Pain Relief
    teresatapp

Rock 'N Roll

Tuck chin inward to chest area, curl the spine and gently rock/roll as shown in these photos.

Form check: use your knees and thigh muscles to "push" against your hands to initiate the "curl". Continue 4 to 8 times, you should feel the spine muscles begin to relax and get warm as circulation increases. For those who are a little more advanced, try to pause as you roll up without touching feet to the floor and extend...
    05-18-2016, 10:24 PM
  • Back Pain?? Relieve the T-Tapp Way
    teresatapp

Back pain has reached such epidemic proportions that it has become a factor of life for most people. It is now one of the most common disorders in which people seek medical help and the largest cause of absenteeism in the United States, Sweden, Great Britain, and Canada accounting for billions of dollars each year in medical costs.

There have been many theories as to why and how back pain occurs. Medical scientific research used to state...
    05-18-2016, 10:22 PM
Working...
X