Thread: Alfalfa

Level

Default Alfalfa

Help wise Tappers! I am back on the T-Tapp wagon, after a year away, and I am feeling so much better. I am also doing the GM-MM eating plan for the first time. I am still having some pure maple syrup in my coffee, and a little raw honey and molasses in my homemade granola. But other than that, I am sticking to it well. My question pertains to Alfalfa. For a couple of years, I have had some monthly issues. I am having more periods, and some clotting. I have had a recent exam and labs done, and all seems to be fine. I am not wanting to go back and get all the tests done to try to find something, if it can be healed naturally. So, I am wondering if I should start with Alfalfa. Thanks!

Level

I am not a wise Tapper, but I do have a bit of information regarding clotting/TOM...I am 47 yo and since my last baby, (she's 2) I began experiencing irregular periods and clotting. I have a friend who is a naturopath and he told me to take Astragalus 2 times per day. He told me it could take a month or two to begin to see results and when I was faithful, I did experience less bleeding, much less clotting, and shortened cycle, instead of 7 days I was at 5. Astragalus is an adaptogenic herb, which means your body uses it the way it sees best. If you have high levels of estrogen, which is indicated by the clotting, then it will balance that out.
    You can get astragalus in pill form or you can get the herb loose and you would take a pinch and chew on it and swallow it that way. I didn't want to deal with eating "hay" so to speak, so I got the pill form.
    Hope you find relief.
    Tina

Level

That's interesting about astragalus, Tina! Thank you for sharing!

And as for alfalfa--Teresa's is the best and it does help as well. I feel so much better and my cycles are better when I stay consistent. Everyone has to find their "sweet spot" and mine was 9-12 daily. I've had some hormonal shifts (turned 50 last year) so am thinking possibly upping my dose the second half of my cycle. Usually you can tell by how you feel, less PMS type feelings or swelling/tenderness, etc.

HTH!
    ~ .. )) -::-
    . .))
    ((. .. Trisch -::-
    -::- ((.*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
    (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
    you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
    ~Crystal Paine~

Level

Tina-
    That is great to know! It is expensive? Have you ever used Alfalfa? I was hoping it would help with these things, as well as giving me the skin benefits. I could always use both, if the Astragalus is not too expensive. Thank you so much for replying. My husband is quite concerned, and I am so tired of feeling like my period is never really over! I will check at my health food store this week.

Jamie

Level

Thank you Trisch! How long does the Alfalfa last? Does it ever go on sale? I am hoping that just doing the workouts will even things out, as well. I am currently doing BWO+, OIP & HF, and AL. I am trying to work on form, instead of doing all the reps, but it is SO tough! If there is no perfect form, how do you know when to move on to the Total? I am also trying to skin brush, but I don't have Teresa's system. I'm sorry! I always start out with one question, but it seems to lead to more! Thanks for the advice!
    Jamie

Level

Jamie, yes it does go on sale from time to time. At 6 daily a bottle would last a month. But as I said, you kind of have to find your sweet spot! Teresa shared that you can take fewer the week of your cycle, then slowly build up to your optimal number by the week before your next cycle. That helps it go a bit farther!

I was on a good quality brand before I found Teresa's, and I will say there truly IS a difference! I know it can be hard to budget everything in, but I noticed so many good benefits, both hormonally as well as with my skin, it is worth it for me to at least stay at 6 daily.

GOOD for you for working on form vs. doing all the reps! Honestly, I would spend plenty of time with BWO+, focusing on the core, and when you start feeling very familiar with it, you could start adding 1-2 moves from the second part of Total to your BWO+. You could even rotate through the moves so you don't overdo, but also so you can learn TWO and get the benefits of it without overdoing.

HTH!
    ~ .. )) -::-
    . .))
    ((. .. Trisch -::-
    -::- ((.*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
    (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
    you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
    ~Crystal Paine~

Level

Jamie,
    Astragalus is not that expensive. I buy mine through Swanson's. If you buy the astragalus root you could check out Bulk Herb Store or Mountain Rose Herbs, I would bet it will be a bit more expensive. But what I was told is that the root is better. I personally take 3 Astragalus per day along with Maca another adaptogenic herb.
    I have also taken all grains, legumes and sugars out of my diet, have been doing this for a few weeks.
    I am experiencing my cycle as we speak and although my cycles is heavy, it is nothing like it used to be. I would go through pads quickly, I'm talking 3 hours. This cycle isn't anything like that. That may be due more to my diet changes and I am taking Teresa's Alfalfa normally 8 per day but during this cycle I am taking 12.

What I do know for certain is that the Astragalus and Maca helped and continue to help.

The other thing you need to consider is that if you have heavy cycles you may need to supplement with Iron especially if you are feeling tired. The only iron supplement that I would recommend is Floradix, I love that stuff!! This is a bit more expensive but oh so worth it if you are really tired. Look for these online, they will be less expensive than your health food store.

Blessings,
    Tina

Level

Thank you both so much for your help. I will definitely take the advice!