Thread: Join the Reboot

Level

Default Join the Reboot

My husband has been very inspired by Joe's Reboot documentary and would very much like for us to do this! For some reason I can't get a connection or a link this a.m. to share, but if you are familiar or have had any experience could you offer any thoughts. In short it's a fast, but you still have fruits and vegetables juiced.
    With joy!
    Florence

My mantras:
    Think, Live, Be Well...one day at a time.
    I will not be overwhelmed today.

Began my T-tapp journey on July 16, 2012! Excited about the possibilities.

Level

Hi! My husband and I watched the movie a few weeks ago. We bought a breville juicer off Amazon for $100 and we love it! We aren't fasting yet but we are getting used to the flavors and learning how to combine what produce to make the best flavors.
    I also bought a NutriBullet for smoothies. We intend to fast with a combination of the juices and smoothies. You can get more "juice" out of greens to just have them as a smoothie, and plus that way, there's no waste. I plan to mostly use juices from the Breville in the place of water when making the smoothies. I've made some with water and to me, it weakens the flavors, so I want to try and use carrot, apple, or pear juice instead. It will depend though on what all is in the smoothie. DH is afraid to do just juice while working, another reason we decided to do some smoothies. We're thinking the pulp and fiber will help keep him feeling more full. Plus with the smoothies we can add in nuts and seeds for more protein, because he's a protein type.
    And then he's taking off the last two weeks of December, so we're going to try and do just juice for those two weeks. I'm sure that will be hard for him though, as he's used to having the full tradition meal for Christmas. But the family Christmas party is on the 8th, so he will just have to accept that he had it early.

Level

Oh, and here is the link: http://www.jointhereboot.com/ The movie is called Fat Sick and Nearly Dead.

Level

Thanks for your post. Yes, I'm just experimenting with some smoothie type combos today. We do not have a juicer. I'm eager to hear about your journey. Keep me posted : )
    With joy!
    Florence

My mantras:

Level

I am not a fan of fasts. Especially fasts where you are drinking rather than eating calories. Doesn't quite seem logical to me. Better to eat whole, natural foods. Omit sugary drinks including fruit juice. Go for meat, fish, eggs and lots of non-starchy vegetables. A green smoothie now and then is great for getting extra veggies, but I wouldn't want to subsist on liquids. Most people need about 90 grams of protein a day to keep from canabalizing their own muscles. Tough to drink that much protein from seeds and veggies.
    Last edited by Miss Understood; 12-04-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    Kay

Reclaiming my health in 2012 through T-Tapp for exercise and Primal Blueprint/Paleo style of eating. Member Weston A. Price Foundation.

Level

Hi Kay, what you are saying makes sense. But juice fasting can provide nutrients while the digestive system has a chance to heal. If you are one who malabsorbs, juicing can help tremendously because your body doesn't have to break the food down. I'm not sure how that works with the smoothies though since the fiber and pulp is still there, your body does have to work to break that down. But since it's been blended, it's not as hard to break down as eating it whole. My husband eats a lot of meat, eggs, and veggies. He ate eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast with a glass of raw milk, raw veggies for lunch, and dinners containing meat and veggies, with pastuered butter and sea salt, sometimes with herbs too. For months he ate like that, and didn't seem to feel any healthy benefits. He didn't lose any weight, his blood pressure remained high, his stomach hurt him often. Two weeks ago, he went to the doctor and was diagnosed with low stomach acid and put on betaine and pepsin. That is helping his tummy not hurt so much. Teresa had posted something on facebook last week about low stomach acid and the article mentioned that low stomach acid is a cause of malabsorption, so maybe that has been his problem all along...don't really know. But he wants to give this a try to give his digestive system a rest. Because he also gets diverticular attacks now and then. I don't think it can hurt in the short term, especially since he wasn't really getting his nutrients anyway. There's no way he would last on a long term fast, he loves food too much!

As for myself, I am noticing that I don't crave my junk foods if I drink enough of the juices. And I like the taste of the juices over the smoothies, and I get more veggies with the juices vs the smoothies. I find I add more fruit to the smoothies for flavor. I'm also hungrier and crave my junk more if I drink the smoothies vs the juice. I have no idea why. I thought the smoothies would have made me feel full longer and combatted the cravings better. But I guess it's because I'm getting more nutrients from the juice because there is a lot more produce getting juiced for a drink than with the smoothies. Definitely more veggies.

If you do the reboot, all of the plans on the site include eating with the juicing. It's just a vegetarian diet while you're juicing, and I think you're not supposed to have breads. We haven't made it that far yet. We are still eating meats and some whole grain or sourdough breads. But we are working toward getting in more of the juices and smoothies for nutrients. I find I have to be pretty hungry to make myself have a smoothie, but not to have a juice. And with either being consumed, I don't eat as much, especially the junk foods. They are my weakness. DH can take them or leave them, so at least he doesn't have to fight with sugar addiction.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by natrfrk View Post
    As for myself, I am noticing that I don't crave my junk foods if I drink enough of the juices. .....

If you do the reboot, all of the plans on the site include eating with the juicing. It's just a vegetarian diet while you're juicing, and I think you're not supposed to have breads. We haven't made it that far yet. We are still eating meats and some whole grain or sourdough breads. But we are working toward getting in more of the juices and smoothies for nutrients. I find I have to be pretty hungry to make myself have a smoothie, but not to have a juice. And with either being consumed, I don't eat as much, especially the junk foods. They are my weakness. DH can take them or leave them, so at least he doesn't have to fight with sugar addiction.
    I've been dabbling with this since Monday, so only 3 days in and it has been such a joy-filled experience. I'm using the recipes and plans from the Reboot site with a great deal of variation. The recipes are wonderful. And I am one picky eater. The variations on how to prepare vegetables are all so tasty and soooooo good. As you mentioned I've been amazed at how my cravings seems to be non-existent and I'm feeling so peaceful and satisfied. I think what I've gained from it so far is that I've really upped my veggie consumption and learned so many ways to prepare them - in this short time. My refrigerator looks so inviting and it's full of all sorts of veggies to go to for a hot or cold meal. This experience is making me aware of how I really have not been partaking of vegetables as I should. And I also like the focus away from animal protein. I've always been a big animal protein eater and always hungry...go figure. Oddly enough now I'm not hungry or craving, just peaceful and satisfied. A very interesting and surprising experience so far : )
    With joy!
    Florence

My mantras: