Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice - back spasms! Ouch!

Level

Unhappy Any advice - back spasms! Ouch!

Saturday morning I woke up with a bit of a tight back, so I decided to do some sewing and that went well. Later that day I was helping the girls re-arrange their room and that involved lifting a twin size bed frame, with a mattress on it, with the help of my daughter, to make it the top of the bunk bed set. Then we also moved the crib and did some sweeping. While I was sweeping my back started to freak out. I had to quit and go lie down.

Since then I have been having back spasms off an on. The only comfortable position for me is lying down. I've even had to take pain meds left from my C-section in order to function out of bed. I've done the PBS each day to try to get it to stop, as well as using Young Livings Deep Relief, and a long soak in a very hot tub.

I was so hoping that I would be able to be back to normal today, but that is not the case.

I have two questions:

Is there anything I can do the help my back get back to normal that I'm not already doing?

Should I do any workout? PBS when my back is so messed up?

Thanks for your help!
    Ruth

Servant of Christ, DW to Daryl since 1985, mom to 12 blessings, working to adopt a little girl with T21 from Bulg@ri@
    My T-Tapp Success Story
    Our Adoption Blog
    Work-At-Home-Mom at Snap-EZ Inc
    Blogging about my life on 12 Blessings

where the stars at night are big and bright
    Level

Ruth
    First of all, WOW! You got a lot done! It makes my back hurt a little thinking about it. For as long as your back is bothering you, take a magnesium oil/epsom salts bath daily if you can manage the time. That will help get magnesium into your system, which is helpful for muscle pain. I have suffered off and on with back "twinges" for many years. Since Tapping consistently, that has all but disappeared. Here's my recommendation, but please listen to your body, and do only as much as it is telling you it can do.

If you have MORE, do Primary backstretch from that. If you are feeling up to it, you can do any of the moves from BWO+,(if they feel good to you) but I would do fewer reps at a slower tempo. I think last time my back had issues, that's what I did, skipping hoedowns. Really think about tucking that tailbone/curling the core/belly button to spine and ribs up to protect the back and strengthen the abs (which protects the back all the time, when you have strong abs!).

And next time you want to move all that furniture, call meI'll come help!

Level

I agree with Katie about the magnesium oil bath. That will go a long way to help with your muscle spasms. I'd even rub some magnesium oil on topically at the area of your back that is giving you issues when it starts.
    Tiffany
    T-Tapp Staff

My Blog Free Radish Designs

Level

Aw Ruth, sounds painful! I'm not an expert, a masseuse, or anything, but I have had many back spasms. A couple of them extremely debilitating, but the majority I caught before they would get that far.

My top recommendation is to take a muscle relaxant. I take Baldrian (natural). (I don't know if I can post a link to the one I take.) It has Valerian extract, Passion Flower, Lemon Balm, and Hops. Just having this on hand and taking it the first sign of a spasm, is probably what has kept me from getting as bad as my first spasm. It was awful, bed ridden, couldn't sleep, in tears whenever I had to move. I couldn't even breath well. This also helps with other things like cramps.
    Take something for inflammation, I take Traumeel (natural) or if I don't have that, I take Ibuprofen. I haven't tried the Magnesium oil bath, sounds good. I just realized that Traumeel has magnesium in it. lol, that's good to know! Of course, don't know how much is in it. Might be better to go with the Magnesium bath.

Call and schedule an appointment with your Chiropractor.

Get a massage. The first part of my Chiropractor appointment is a massage which really, really helps relax you and gets rid of a lot of tension. If you have a while to wait for your appointment or if you can't make one, have a family member rub your back with their thumbs rub GENTLY up and down either side of your spine Going out at the top and out at the lower back. Have the family member be careful to keep the skin taught. (By taught I mean don't squeeze the skin between the thumbs). There are some videos out there on how to massage. I haven't tried any of them, so I don't know of a good one to suggest. If any of the massaging hurts a lot or does not help to relax you, do Not continue doing them. After all, I 'm not a trained masseuse. I've just had a lot of massages to relieve back pain :P

I really hope and pray that you feel better soon!! Back spasm are very painful!

From Phx., AZ, currently live in the Tulsa, OK area
    Level

IF you can take anti-inflammatories, that can help. I can't but have found glucosamine and chondroiton helpful and ICE, not heat for the first couple of days. 15 mins. on. Lying on the floor periodically throughout the day with your legs up--knees bent @ right angles allowing your calves/ankles to rest across the seat of a chair can help. Also, lying in bed, before you get up, do some very gentle pelvic tilts, then, you can bend one knee and use your hands to bring knee into chest, and just hold it for a slow count to 20. Then repeat the other side. Do this throughout the day--on the floor. When you are sitting, get up and PBS or whatever you can that helps move the spine, and muscles gently. When you sit, you have 2x your body weight in pressure on your spine. Sitting is hard on your spine, that's why you NEED to lie down periodically throughout the day to give your back a rest, and then do some gentle stretching type exercises to keep the muscles flexible. Just go slowly and take it easy. Hope this helps. I had major back issues that started summer of 2011--- I understand how painful and frustrating this is.
    Vanetta
    DYT type 3/4

Homeschooling Veteran of Three, (K-12 x 3)
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    Certified PraiseMoves Instructor, CPI Gold, and
    MIRA!Dance Instructor (Christian alternative to
    ​yoga and Zumba(R))
    T-Tapp TnT

Level

Ruth,

Up your OoO intake to 20 drops, if that does not help, do another 20 drops, that should kill the pain. Of course, you need to rest up and stop being so busy all the time. Do the curling the core lying down, keep your spine straight. If you can do OIP, please do so, it will be relaxing, concentrate on slow gentle movement and not the speed or momentum. Find your sweet spot to feel the stretch at your sore spots.

Magnesium oil mix with peppermint oil on the trouble spot will be very soothing and relaxing. Not sure if you have arnica or muscle mist. Anything in the peppermint family is a good muscle relaxer. If nothing, rub OoO at the trouble spot.

Tuck and keep your ribs ups will be your ticket to pain-free. If you have not figured out how to ribs up and tuck during daily activities before, you will now. Take this as a great learning experience, as there is no better teacher and enforcer than pain.
    Last edited by ayj67; 11-26-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Ordered More and TWO on 7/7/2010, Started tapping on 7/30/2010.
    2011 January 30 Day Jumpstart Less to Lose Category Winner.
    2012 60 Day Challenge Trainer/TnT Category Winner.
    2014 60 Day Challenge Trainer/TnT Category Winner.
    T-Tapp Trainer in Training

Level

My daughter went and got me the magensium oil. I put some on after my nap. I think it's helping. Thanks for all the advice - I'll take a bath before bed tonight.

I also ordered something like what was recommended - at least it had all the same ingredients (valerian/passion flower/lemon/hops) via Amazon and it will be here later this week. I had prescription muscle relaxant but ran out last month, so it will be nice to have a natural/non-prescription version available!

Now that I have the mag oil, I'll have to read more about it.

I'd take more OoO ayj, but it disappeared on me!!! I'll keep an eye out for it though!
    Ruth

Servant of Christ, DW to Daryl since 1985, mom to 12 blessings, working to adopt a little girl with T21 from Bulg@ri@
    My T-Tapp Success Story
    Our Adoption Blog
    Work-At-Home-Mom at Snap-EZ Inc
    Blogging about my life on 12 Blessings

Level

And don't forget Teresa's alfalfa is a great anti-inflammatory!

I LOVE mag gel! It is the wonder-worker for my muscles when I've done too much! Glad it's helping!
    ~ .. )) -::-
    . .))
    ((. .. Trisch -::-
    -::- ((.*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
    (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
    you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
    ~Crystal Paine~

Level

Hi Ruth,

I wrote you a big long reply, but it timed out. So without rewriting every thing, I will cut to the chase. If your problem does not resolve itself, or recurs regularly, get an MRI if your insurance will cover it.

I tried with EVERY type of non-invasive lower back therapy for DECADES which helped, but did not "fix" my problem. Ultimately, I finally discovered thru an MRI that I have structural issues. I do wish I had known early on, but no Doc suggested it to me. If you want my full story, please feel free to e-mail me. Or if others want to know, I'll try to type it out again here in small bites.

((waving joyful thanks to Trish and congrats on the Trainer status!))
    Summertime

Level

Quote Originally Posted by ayj67 View Post
    Ruth,

Up your OoO intake to 20 drops, if that does not help, do another 20 drops, that should kill the pain. Of course, you need to rest up and stop being so busy all the time. Do the curling the core lying down, keep your spine straight. If you can do OIP, please do so, it will be relaxing, concentrate on slow gentle movement and not the speed or momentum. Find your sweet spot to feel the stretch at your sore spots.

Magnesium oil mix with peppermint oil on the trouble spot will be very soothing and relaxing. Not sure if you have arnica or muscle mist. Anything in the peppermint family is a good muscle relaxer. If nothing, rub OoO at the trouble spot.

Tuck and keep your ribs ups will be your ticket to pain-free. If you have not figured out how to ribs up and tuck during daily activities before, you will now. Take this as a great learning experience, as there is no better teacher and enforcer than pain.
    Oh, I'm glad you suggested Peppermint! I was just coming on here to quickly add that in! Peppermint really does help. This weekend I was in a pinch, had no more peppermint and so I tried Vic's Vapor Rub to help relieve my tension headache. It doesn't have Peppermint in it, but the menthol, camphor, and Eucalyptus oil in it worked great!